Why do people say FF7 is so overrated?

Ung… Mario and 3-D go together like liver and cardboard, and the spin offs aren’t good either… Mario Kard Double Dash or Mario Party 4 anyone? For MegaMan… I’m 100% sure that if the words “MegaMan” weren’t a part of the title, that game would never have sold. I never really got attached the the Metroid Series… I tried Super Metriod and Metroid Prime, but they just weren’t able to strike my fancy like the MegaMan X series on the SNES.

Mario All Star for SNES, after that Down Hill. Excluding the Tennis and Golf Games. Sonic dispite getting better in some parts, lost the Plot when going 3d, Sonic was a ‘racing’ Platfomer, I see they’ve tryed to sort it out recently.
Lemmings is the First and Biggest Casutly of going 3D. It really was a pain to play.

But some times going 3d make it great. GTA has got better and better, and Hopefully Even better. (Desposit paid for GTA:SA)

Big Nutter

You just reminded me of somthing…

“Megaman X” + “3D” - “Speed Metal Music” + “Axl” - “Anime Cut Scenes” =
FUCK YOU CAPCOM!

Man, X4’s anime cutscenes were awesome. They had those really chunky sound-effects, bad rushing backgrounds and corny voice-overs you just don’t get anymore. :frowning:

Point is, Capcom just doesnt seem to want or cannot afford to put the same effort into the series that they once did. That pisses me off because they waist their time with shit like Crimson Tears instead.

Either way, Nothing beats the first time you hear storm eagle’s stage music…

I don’t know why everyone gets so bent out of shape when old games update. Yes, in some instances things get ugly, but did all you ‘oldschoolers’ really think they weren’t going to utilize new technology?

I played Nintendo when it first came out, I still play most of the games I did then. But I play new games too. Quit pining over old style games. If you don’t like them, don’t play them. No amount of whining is going to make people switch back to 2-d platforms (GBA withstanding).

…I probably should have thought this out before posting…TOO LATE NOW!!

We’re not bitching about the game, we’re bitching about the presentation. X5 was a big step down from X4. All the others in Izlude’s list-

~Mario turned 3d
~Megaman became a childish franchize that is comparible to pokemon in seriousness of theme.
~Metroid became… “Prime”
~Even Castlevania went 3d (at least it was decent though)

-I disagree with. Mario 64 was the best N64 game ever, Metroid Prime was an awesome shooter, Megaman Battle Network RAWKS (I made the shrine for 3), and Castlevania PS2 was pretty decent, if not in the same league as SotN.

I don’t know, I liked X5 more than I did X4. The time limit was annoying but I liked that they lowered the difficulty (Ok, maybe a little too much) and I didn’t mind the absence of the anime clips (Iris’ voice made me cringe every time I heard it), perhaps if they had gotten better voice actors…

Mario 64 was AWESOME.

Battle Networks is a sacrilege (That ain’t Protoman you bitches!) but it’s overall good. Of course, it sells so much because it has “Megaman” on the name but it might have done well enough without it.

On a different note, Capcom is not only getting lazy with their classics, they are turning lazy on the new ideas department. Let’s take a look at their most outstanding games:

Street Fighter: I’m not sure how many of these are but I know there are enough.

Breath of Fire: Five games with very similar plots and the exact same protagonist, only they changed his last name and said it was a different guy. To put the cherry on top, the first four Ryus suffered from SPS so they didn’t even have dialogue.

Megaman: Megaman, Megaman X, Megaman Legends, Megaman Zero, Megaman Battle Network and counting. I’m not even going to try and guess how many games of these are.

My point is: When was the last time Capcom came up with something new and successful?

When they came out with the 5th Breath of Fire.

I’ve stayed far, far away from Capcom, not intentionally or anyting, but it’s just…turned out that way. The only Megaman games I’ve played we’re the Megaman Legends, their…good, perhaps enjoyable. Maybe enjoyable but nothing big.

SE, not trying to diss or anything, but if your going to say something against the megaman series like that, I can basically say nearly the same thing of Squaresoft and the Final Fantasy series. I played maybe…a couple of Megaman games on a few ROM’s, one off of a burned CD on the comp. for a burned CD. X4 or 5 or something like that.

If the contols weren’t so hard to manuver sometime I could enjoy it. Anyway, all those games your talking about, their different takes on the same thing, their new ideas taken from the original. Being successful…well, folks, ain’t that he eternal problem.

Street Fighter…I’m crappy at fighting games, and usually, I don’t have anyone to play them with, so why bother? Probably why I went with RPG’s to begin with. Breath Of Fire, alright, I’ll agree with that. However, Capcom’s turned a bit of a new leaf with that, suprisingly. Similar plots? Dragon Quarter (5) takes all that and either throws it away or changes it to something very new. Very short, but how short the game is…well, it’s plain deceitful, the few people who’ve played the game probably know what I’m talking on this board.

Somebody said something about games that fall a bit under the radar:
Parasite Eve 1 and 2-The first surprisingly became a Greatest Hit, so that’s under discussion.
Shadow Hearts
Wild Arms 2
Front Mission 3 and 4
Brave Fencer Musashi-The most fun I’ve ever had with a Squaresoft game. Ever. If I cussed I would articulate this into something more crude and to the point but you get my drift, in other words; &%$* FF7, I’ll take my BFM.
Saga Frontier 2-Whether it’s good or not, that’s up to you to decide, it’s alright to me.
Breath of Fire 5: Dragon Quarter: Read above, way above.
Legend Of Dragoon-Well, er, maybe not. Sony’s attempt to pull an FF7 through pretty FMV’s, and a boring hero. It’s got some nice trimmings though.
Grandia 2
Grandia-Kiddish, one-time play through, and then I sold it. It’s good fun though if you’ve got some time on your hands and can drudge through the boring parts. Not exactly recommended, I think it’s sequel is shorter (which I played before this) but it was a much more condensed and plot-driven game, with some well developed points. It’s former is much more loose on the plot and is a great deal more focused on the characters for the most part to get you interested. Beware, don’t even except a half of what FF6 could do with it’s characters except for some very memorable moments that aren’t enough to bring above mediocore.
Megaman Legends-Cough
Unlimited Saga- Gag**Gag
Suikoden 3-I don’t know if it was .Hack’s fault that it didn’t really seem to be heard a great deal about…or what, but it’s a flawed adventure, but a good one as well.
Sword Of Mana
Tactics Ogre: The Knight Of Lodis
Star Ocean 2-Well, er, if you haven’t played it should. For no other reason than it’s kind of funny that almost all of the characters here; maybe even Rena (that’s a stretched maybe) could hand both Cloud and most Squall’s asses back to them in a few seconds.

…And some more I don’t know of…I’ll get to thinking.

Never said otherwise, I completely agree. Although Square had to cam up with new characters for each game, so it was harder for them.

Here are some comments on some of the games you mentioned:

Brave Fencer Musashi: Silly but enormously fun. I’m still stuck at the mouse-girl’s dancing game though.

Legend of Dragoon: No good. There’s already a thread for this game in the Main Forum, check there for more details.

Megaman Legends: I liked the second one a bit…

Star Ocean: Awesome game. Although I’d like to know who’s in charge of character design, because Claude is practically a clone from Cless Alvein and Chaz Ashley.

if you guys want capcom delight, I suggest you head over to Devil May Cry.

…what was this board about?

God, BOFDQ sucked. It completely dumped all the classic BOF stuff and threw it in the trash. Since when did the dragons become so strong. The bof series has always been good at letting you choose your characters and making them all equal. i still think that the original bof was the best. It was an rpg in it’s simplest form. It did not have side quests but it offered a good story with a great battle system.

Edit: BOFDQ was doomed to failure at the start because it did not have Bleu/Deis.

I cant say FFVII was overrated, cos it was just too damn good. It was a very important game for me. If nothing else, Aerith’s death is overrated. Even though that theme remains one of the greatest game tracks ever.

…You have to understand, dude, I don’t LIKE the classic BoF.

I played BoFIV, all these people liked it. I didn’t. “Classic BoF” sucks to me, if you wish me to be frank, although I have bad tendency not too.

I played a few bits of BoF two, and got very close to the end of BoFIV. I don’t know why, but the games just don’t…work me very well. I felt like I was dragging myself through it…the same drudge. I couldn’t take it really.

This statement has been shot to hell, true, there are TONS of “street fighter” games… However, the PROBLEM is, that 70% (at least) of them arent original games, but rehashed versions of the originals.

For instance, there is Street Fighter II. Good.

But on top of that shit there are things like:
Street Fighter II: Champion Edition
Street Fighter II: The World Warriors
Street Fighter II: Hyper Edition
Street Fighter II: Turbo
Super Street Fighter II: Turbo

The list goes on, either way, it’s capcoms stupid ass ideas like THAT which make people say “we dont want anymore street fighters” when in reality, what they should be saying is, “No more rehashes, and give us more NEW street fighters”

At least, thats how I feel.

There is a big difference in utilizing new technology and abandoning gameplay mechanics that MADE games good. Changing somthing to 3d is somthing that should be VERY well thought out and the simple fact is, designers just didnt. Look at games like Blaster Master. The game was fudging awesome. Have you played the PS1 remake of it? Yeah, I tried, and at the very best, it was like trying to accurately write your name in the snow with piss, and just happen to be getting shocked by a car battery.

In other words, the game is very clumsy.

BoF 1-3 were built using all the basic RPG gameplay options. If you don’t like the oldschool games, you have a fat chance of liking these. Four introduces a few new options that I didn’t really like.

Here are a few reasons of why BoF rocks:

[ul]
[li]Very odd and quirky characters that range from a fat french frog with a rapier to an ex-general monkey.
[/li][li]Chicks, lot’s of 'em. Catgirls, angel girls, foxgirls, scantly clad shaman, etc.
[/li][li]Bleu/Deis.
[/li][li]Ryu. He may not talk but the fact that half of the world’s female population in each game wants to bang him has to count for something.
[/li][/ul]

And the number one reason why BoF kicks ass:

[ul]
[li] DRAGONS. BIG ASS DRAGONS.
[/li][/ul]

Hey, I’ll be the first to tell you some of the remakes and continuations of games suck…bad. But I’m just hoping that some people here don’t like new games simply because they’re new.

And while most of the time, changing old games into completely new things sucks. But without risks of that nature, we wouldn’t have stuff like Metal Gear Solid.

Maybe, but I just can’t work with it. I’ll give the series a try, the earlier entries in it, III and II perhaps. They don’t seem like bad games.

It’s not like I don’t like traditional games, it’s just that, what I really saw in the series through my first look into it (with BOFIV) I just don’t like it. If that’s what I can expect from most of the series…I’m not missing much. At least to me. Fou-Lu was why I played that game. The short chapters I had with him were more fun than anything I did with Ryu.

I don’t know about you, but that seems a bit sad to me.

Mainly, because it is. Then there’s BOFV. It has flaws, yes, but Ryu actually has a voice, one reason why I preferred Fou-Lu over him. The characters were…well, er, they were something new. The whole scene was, that’s why I was so attracted to it. So, yeah, BoF sticks the same name on a guy, and has him basically following through the same plot twists, the way the story unfolds…how it comes together, the music, that first battle theme is some of the best stuff I’ve ever hears in a game, it’s just awesome.

There’s no other way for me to say it. Now, people have their opinions, and while I respect others, I know that mine can be a little wrong. The thing is, I went to a forum once and said what I thought about the game, one guy came up, and asked what the heck I was talking about, and gave an expanded rant about why I was wrong. Except, it did nothing but just say how different the fifth entry was compared to the other games. Why did he treat this as a negative? I mean, don’t we want some new things in our video games? I don’t want the same thing regurgitated with new trimmings. Granted, a series…has a certain obligation to do that. When it’s not broken, don’t fix it, you might not be able to make it better, but change it a certain way, whether it be the battle system, the setting, the characters, and still keep some of the traditional elements alive, you just might pull off something better than you could’ve imagined.

If someone could give me a real reason why BoFV is so bad, I will shut up. Only then. I’ll shut up about everyone talking so much crap about it, and…uh, just reduce it to most people I guess. To this day, however, all I’ve been getting is the same old crap, which when reduced too the truth, is basically the fact that it doesn’t agree with the rest of the series and all of the traditions, that Nina is now some little girl who has no backstory and can’t speak Guess what? I prefer that Nina a lot more than anything the one in BoFIV said, there are actually some suprises in the storyline, no matter how strung the charater relationships are to some I love that game. In this day and age, when people complain about Street Fighter having the same thing go over and over again, and then talk bad about a game because of the fact it changes the original practice of that series’s formula.

My Friends, I think that’s not just sad, but pitiful.

Granted it isn’t the sharpest knife in the drawer, but seeing as how I stay far away from Capcom for no…real reason it seems, (BoFIV might have something to do with that…) and how they’ve actually done the one thing I’ve wanted in a series besides Final Fantasy (actually change and fix something in the series, Xenosaga Ep. II seems to be working up not to doing that, and .Hack…my gosh) by mainly being bold, and changing some things instead of regurgitating the same thing with little difference, just for that, I’ll be happy with this.

You know what though? It’s nearly 10:00, I’ve been wearing these headphones and they’re starting to make my ears pulse or something after listening to those OC Remix tunes again, I think I’m done ranting now, thank God…I’m tired.

P.S. Go play Arc the Lad: Twilight Of The Spirits. Preferably Now. Later is good, but soon is better.

Nuff said there. Got that game for my eighth birthday. Badass game. Never beat it, but it’s still badass. Even the concept was cool for it’s time.

And lastly, it’s good to know that someone besides me has heard of that game.

Kid Chameleon is another badass 2d platformer. Though not completely original, the cool thing about that game is the costumes…there’s like 13 of them. And it is also one of the most challenging platformers…ever. And there’s 95 levels in the game(all timed).
Only downside is there is no save feature(emulation will fix that). Ranks on my list of Challenging platformers along with Shinobi and Ghouls N’ Ghosts.