Why do people say FF7 is so overrated?

Hmm. I thought FF7 was pretty flawless

Tactics is flawless, too

The reason that FF7 is considered overated is because games that are much better aren’t fussed about as much. For example take Chrono Trigger it has an extremely good and well done story, it has good graphics for it’s time, it’s has some of the best music ever :cough:enhasa,belthasarandblackomenthemes:cough:. It has a great battle system and it is the only rpg that I can think of in which all the characters are unique and usuable and you get to pick who you want to use. This makes different people use different characters for combat reasons rather then just because they are cool or hot. For example when my dad played Chrono Trigger he used Crono, Marle and Frog because he liked Marle and Frogs double cure tech, while I use a larger variety of characters I usually use Marle and Ayla (Cube toss is awesome) and someone else or a team that has a triple tech.

All you people complaining that there are so many posts about FFVII being great… Exactly where are they??

Perhaps when it first came out those types of posts were common, but viewing this board over the last few weeks(granted the only few weeks I’ve been a registered member), I see no more posts saying FFVII is great than posts telling people they’re morons for not liking FFVIII, or telling people they don’t know what a good RPG is because they like FFVII… etc.

Also, even if there were a lot of posts like that at one time, who cares? Don’t people have the right to express their opinion just like you do???

If I were to come here and post a topic that simply says “I love FFVII, and here’s why!” and then listed my reasons, don’t I have as much right to do that as you have to bitch about it???

I have Sephiroth as my avatar, just like that other guy… But does that make me some kind of shallow poser or something? Does the fact that I think FFVII is a real good game eliminate my history as an RPG fan, which dates back to the late 80s?

No, it doesn’t.

You guys sound like punk rock fans that bitch and moan everytime someone new starts to listen to that type of music… “Well, I knew about it first!! And all you listen to is emo, so I am, by default, a better fan than you because you just became a fan recently and I’ve been enlightened for years! Rancid RULES!”

Wooptidoo.

People are gonna like what they’re gonna like… No one here has any right to put anyone down for their opinions.

I know a lot of you are gonna write me off cuz I only have like 18 posts, so be it…

** Standing ovation** Bravo! Bravo! Encore!
:wink:

Interestingly enough that FF7 has 3 spinoffs coming out soon.
I’ll post on that subject later. Just need to do some research.

:hahaha; Nice one. You remind me of “Lord Seth” from a Mario community I hang out from. He’s a great debator and puts people in their palces. Now here’s the flaw in your argument: your argument for liking FFVII is perfect. You make a post, state why you like the game, and work of a conversation from there.

What makes the argument flawed is that the people who consider FFVII overrated are upset at the people who randomly blut out “FFVII is teh roxxz!” (Indeed, I have a friend in RL that is exactly like that.) They are not upset at the people who can make a valid argument or possibly comparision.

If I were to state that FFVII was greater then FFVI, FFT, or some other game for real reasons, then that would be a good argument.

Now, a person who randomly walks up and says FFVII is the best game, down trauds the other games, and seems to ignore arguements that give evidence to why FFVII wasn’t that great. That is the sort of person that makes a game over rated.

i think wooster is great simply because of his kefka posts

Err, um… well thanks. Out of curiosity, what was it that made my posts so great? Not to sound egotistical, but I really can’t Identify what was so great about my posts beyond that it included Kefka, from your comments.

The problem is not with what FF is better than which one for which reasons, but the fact that “Better” is a subjective word swayed by opinions and thus will never be somthing that people can agree upon.

Perhaps saying somthing like, “Which Final Fantasy had the least Sci-Fi aspects?”

It’s harder to ask a question like that and be open ended, but guess what… a bunch of RPG horn dogs wont get into a pissing contest over it!

I agree with Mr Pesmerga.

1. because it made me laugh for a long while and
  2. that is exactly how kefka would act

anyway…

I personally agree with FF7 being overrated. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed my time with it and Cids incarnation in 7 was my favorite of his by far, but there are some massive flaws with the game. The materia system paved the way for the ‘no more original character classes/abilities’ system, i.e. the only fundamental character differences are limit breaks system that plagued FF8 and FF10, 10 to a lesser extent because the system could only be abused after most of the game was completed. The materia system made any character replaceable. Aeris died? Oh well, lets switch in Yuffie and give her the same materia. Uh-oh Cloud’s got Mako poisoning, time to throw his materia on Cid. Whereas in FF4 or 6 when a character left, your battle strategy was generally affected. No more Palom or Porom? No more reliance on magic. No more Locke? Damn, no more stealing. The graphics were pretty good back when it was released, but the music didnt feel as inspired as FF6 or CT, and 7 also marked the point when the FF stories decided to get disturbingly complex and difficult to follow wothout multiple playthroughsm or quite a bit of thought put into it. A story doesnt have to be massively complicated to be good. Also, Kefka ownz Sephiroth.

I agree with Bard’s point about characters being esentially the same save for limit breaks. FF8 is one of my favorate FFs, but like he said, with the exeption of limit breaks the characters are esentially clones of each other. FFX wasn’t QUITE as bad as this regard, as it takes a great deal of effort and a LOT of boredom to make all the characters alike. But Lulu becomes more or less obsolete when you learn Ultima and the -ga spells for Yuna. (Especialy considering how much of a royal pain it is to get the Venus Sigil. Stupid Thunder Plains… >.<)

Even then, you can still find room for Lulu, since you frequently need to devote Yuna’s abilities to healing.

Indeed, I really enjoy your points Mr. Bard. A game like Chrono Trigger or Chrono Cross is a game that it’s okay to have a plot that is so alarmingly complex that you have to play it over again. First because they are time games, Past proceeds the Future and all that stuff. You really do need to play them again to get a better concept. Secondly, New Game+ and bonus endings help the replay vaule a bit.

Generic characters are a very large problem. I think if you’re going to have generic characters it’d have to be done like in FFV. If Gaulf runs off, you’re not going to miraculously have his “!Mug” / “!Jump” ability if you just swap the other characters around. Skills beyond Red, Black, Blue, White, Summon, Dance etc… don’t carry through for all the characters, and they aren’t earned very easily at a low rate of AP per won battle. Plus FFV had a system where on those rare occasions where a character ran off, you were screwed with lacking 1/4 to 3/4 of your fighting power.

It seems that characters are now being used for their plot capabilities and not their gaming. If I want a generic experience like that I’ll go read a book. There is no need to hide lously game play with “shinies,” characters with big sad eyes, and high on theirselves protagonists.

When I played ff7, I knew nothing of the hype, I vaguely remember a commercial. When I played, I loved it. Great story, great little side stories, good music, Sephiroth and his damn ‘mother’ scared the hell out of me.

And yet…

Izlude and Cid are right. Five years later from that time I know what I know: People, for the most part (and everyone’s entitled to their own opinions), liked the game. It’s when people dismiss good parts in other games because of their bias for ff7 that others get irked.

In conclusion: FF7 was great…but there are other good games too.

And Bard - I like your points…but for me, feh. I like both ways.

the only reason i played ff7 was to see what the hype was all about. and i was sadly disappointed because it didnt live up to the hype. in my eyes thats why its over-rated

FF7 had an awful translation, but it didn’t hinder the game much since it’s hailed as THE best RPG ever (a crackload of shit in my opinion, but since everyone knows my opinion on the FFs I’ll shut my mouth).

A game that was hindered a LOT by it’s bad translation was Breath of Fire 2. Now THAT was a bad translation. Coulda been best RPG of the SNES, or amongst the best, but because of the translation, it was entierly forgotten.

FF7 is overrated, plain and simple. If only because it’s hailed as the best RPG ever. FF7 is a good game that’s enjoyed by all, true. HOWEVER, to hail it as the best RPG ever would simply be fallacy, as many of you don’t say it’s the best. True, lots of people do or at least did, but since when does popular opinion dictate what’s good and what isn’t?

Lol.

It’s really funny to me when conversations like this start up…it’s even MORE funny when it’s the opposite of the norm.

“Why do ypu people say FF7 is so overrated?”

I don’t know, why do you think FF7 is underrated? For every reason you can give me, I can give maybe three or five RPG’s that should’ve had at LEAST a chance to break into the mainstream like FF7 did.

There is one thing I can give FF7. It’s revolution did have a good side. Squaresoft knew how to work itself to the brink. Big budget, great graphics, but they didn’t sell out, they knew they had to give enough to at least satisfy the current fans. Now, it’s like the other way around. Front Mission 4 is an awesome game with good graphics, but now, the only staple of innovation that really satisfied me that was in FM3 is gone, for absoluetly no reason. (Sure, the setting was cool, but after the 30th mission…I mean come ON! It wears off a little bit…they really need to do one in the States, at least the 4th is in Europe)

Lately, everything I play from Square is a double-edged sword. Unlimited Saga’s music is…well, it’s gorgeous. Gameplay wise it’s a intricate mess that couldn’t make me begin to like it. FFX-2 used the one plot hole (that wasn’t REALLY a plot hole) to expand and answer some questions that was in the original. That’s great, but they also destroy whatever character or pride I had in the characters.

I’m ranting, so I 'll cut it short. Most people who say FF7 is overrated, aren’t just the guys from the early days of Final Fantasy. I…I think FF7 is fairly overrated, and it was the first game I seriously played that was an RPG. I remember, that thing owned my life, Blockbuster never got so much money from me. I doubt it ever will. Now, I played the heck out of that game, I’ve come back twice, and I can’t bring myself to finish it. I’ve been disillusioned. It’s spell has passed, and it’s sad, and it’s lonely, in a way. It’s good though. Because it really isn’t the god of Video games, it isn’t even the god of RPG’s. Crap, whether it’s the best Final Fantays can be readily debated.

That’s all because instead of closing myself off in a shell. I went off from my experience with that game ready to face the whole world basically of RPG’s. I wasn’t unprepared, but I was enlightened. I played FF7 and everything I used to believe was flawless…is just…not. Yes, the storyline is good. It is not amazing. The character development is nice, but not all that it could be. It serves it’s purpose, but besides for a few of the main characters, nothing is pushed. I’m nit-picking, but try to understand that after playing Star Ocean 2, Final Fantasy 6, Vagrant Story, heck, even Legend Of Mana how bitter I was against it. No one, no one knew what I was talking about when I mentioned Star Ocean 2 or Vagrant Story, or Breath Of Fire V. It really isn’t fair, how games like Suikoden were robbed of all chances of them becoming anything really huge because a good, sometimes enjoyable, game came first.

It’s overrated. It’s underrated. It was revolutionary, that’s something that isn’t really that much of a debate. It was a revolution of many things, of how Square worked things, and how the world looked on RPG’s. Something was earned, and something was gone. The thing about revolutions, looking back, they all hav pros and cons. I have turned from a supreme fanboy, to someone who looks at FF7 as a good game, and only a bit more. It’s more because it’s revolutionary, and I’m bitter about it because once I saw everything else, I could look back at it, and wonder not “What the heck was I thinking?” but “What the heck was THAT alluring that I’d skip breakfast AND lunch for it?”

FF7 is overrated because people see it, and think “Wow, this is great!” because they don’t have anything to compare it too if it’s there first RPG. FF7 is underrated to people who…uh, are either fanboys/girls or just great fans who are still under that hold. Guys that’s just sad. It’s what, 6 or 7 years old? Move on, I mean, don’t hold on too it this much. Go play Halo or something. You don’t have to get that drastic, play, play and FINISH FF6. Look at it objectively without looking at flaws within it that make FF7. Then observe it and FF7, compare the two, and see the difference. Just get out there, I think people who concentrate fully on the Final Fantasy series are just deluding themselves of all the great things in the genre (Cidolfas has the Compendium, and even HE has the Star Ocean 1/2 shrine and of course more under his belt).

Um…did I even answer the question?
Why do people say FF7 is overrated?
I guess because…that group of people your speaking of must be obliged to feel their opinion is true under the normal conditions that must drive you to believe that a thread is in order to settle the matter and basically answer you question instead of asking this particular group; thus, somehow enlightening you, when in all actuality all it would do is fail in succeding anything at all because by saying this it gives one the feeling that you yourself must truly enjoy the game enough that I’d guess your looking for an answer that really won’t be an answer fulfilling enough.

…Or something…

:fungah: Impressive. I have to admit that I am guilty of diving into a brand name. Sence 1992 I have stuck with the Mario and Sonic franchises with a little dabbling in Donkey Kong and StarFox esque games. It was only within the past 2 years that I discovered the Final Fantasy, EarthBound, and ChronoTrigger sagas. I intend to dive deeper. However I do like to drain a franchise for all it’s worth before I move on to the next game series.

I consider myself a die-hard 2-D platformer first, then a Space Shooter, and Finally an RPG’er but Racing games aren’t too far behind.

In all seriousness, I’m only in the RPG circle because I haven’t seen a fun 2-D platformer sence the SNES/Genisis era and am deep in waiting for StarFox: Armada, while utterly disappointed with StarWars: Rebel Strike.

What sort of low profile RPG’s are you recommending that we play, Mullen?

I agree, other than Megaman Zero, I’ve all but given up on any hopes that companies will release good 2d platformers ever again. And the worst part, for me, is that the franchises that used to satisfy my 2d platforming needs are changing in ways that I don’t like:

~Mario turned 3d
~Megaman became a childish franchize that is comparible to pokemon in seriousness of theme.
~Metroid became… “Prime”
~Even Castlevania went 3d (at least it was decent though)

Oh well, when we miss the old, all we can really do is play the old and hope to change things. I’m in digipen to become an animator for games, hopefully I’ll be able to contribute in some way to reviving what was good about platformers.