What's your proudest gaming moments?

Dude, Hades posts made me think again about that 102 number in SMW I said before. I’m pretty sure it has to do with the Forest of Illusion… Everywhere else in the game, every exit you open leads to a new path. But in the forest, some stages have different exits ehich open the same path, so you can open the same path more than once.

Making Solitaire on Windows 95 crash.

Which bugs? I couldn’t get weapons above 8:96 or so. (Not that it matters, but it looks cleaner to have 'em all the same. And yeah I know it’s a bug to get the sword that high, so having seven at 8:99 and the sword at 8:0 would look awkward anyway. Meh.)

There’s a ghost house in the FoI with like 4 of the same exits or something… Yeah I could’ve sworn I at least got more than 96. I dunno though, they seem pretty sure you can’t. 96 does seem low though.

That reminds me of all the times I’d try to beat A Link To The Past without dying, only to find I had one death marked at the end. Turns out when you save&quit, as I always did after getting the Master Sword, it counts as a death (fixed in the GBA version).

You know, I think I assumed that weapons couldn’t go above 8:00 normally, and when I read Secret 16 near the bottom of this page (http://secretofmana.planets.gamespy.com/secrets.html) I interpreted it as meaning you couldn’t get weapons over level 8:00, ever, unless you took advantage of the glitch. I realize it doesn’t make sense because the glitch requires that at least one weapon is already at 8:99.

However, no matter how many baddies I killed, I was unable to raise my weapon skills above 8:00, even after the 9th level orbs. So I assumed it was normally impossible.

Got this one yesterday:

I was way richer and more technologically advanced than everybody else, but my army was mediocre. Well, England was an equal on force and territory, so they decided to get some of my cities. I closed the frontier with musketeers and knights, not many but our only connection was through a bottleneck… So they sneak a pikeman by sea and try capturing a city.

A single pikeman against a barricade of musketeers.

I Immediately stablished embassies with everyone else, and gave every luxury, technology and all the gold I had away to make those alliances, but it was worth it. The picture is from three turns after the war started, and the greek also allied themselves with the russians. They were enough of a nuisance to keep Elizabeth from attacking me with everything that she had.

Now comes the best part. It’s been a thousand years already, and there hasn’t been a single turn in which she hasn’t been at war with at least four of us! I guess these guys ask a price higher than she can pay for a peace treaty. I spend most of my time at peace with her, selling her resources and luxuries which were previously under monopoly of hers.

No. I didn’t even know there was such a thing. I just blazed through the game. I blew off every possible secret and extra room.

You’re a pussy and you should be ashamed of yourself. I got that situation a hundred times, and I always do the same: Being a peaceful agreeable neighbor until I’m so way ahead of everyone else in technology and resources that I begin pumping out high-tech units out the wazoo and rip everyone a new one.

Fuck diplomacy, I solve my problems the John Sheridan way: With nukes.

The first that comes to mind was when I was playing Warcraft II with my friend on the Microsoft game rooms. He was doing a good job monopolizing the goldmines so I decided to cut off his tech tree. I built and carefully defended a group of goblin sappers, using two to blow through his farmhouse barriers and five to blow up his castle.

Originally Posted by Ren
I could swear I’ve seen the counter go up to 102 in SMW… But then again, it’s been ages since I last beat all the stages of that game.

I thought it was due to the Blue Yoshi Rides.

Probably beating God of War II on Titan.

…Or playing No More Heroes without killing myself. I wanted to, don’t get me wrong; but I didn’t.

Beating Ecco the Dolphin on Genesis. Seriously. Welcome to the Machine is the hardest level…and even when you beheaded the aliens, the alien heads just kept chasing you, and this is while the screen is moving and your trying not to get caught in a dead end and die. @_@

Finishing Castlevania IV on SNES. The Dracula at the end of this one was horrid. I cursed a LOT.

Beating the damn Nihilanth at the end of Half-Life. Ugly mofo…

FINALLY beating the Ice Cerberus in DMC3. … Laugh all you want, I’m still proud I finally kicked its ass. >_>

I’m telling you Super Mario World has 96 exits total, I’m 100% positive about this. Either you’re completely mistaken, thinking of a different game or rom hack, or an idiot.

I’ve got a few that I have to consider noteworthy.

Beating Super Mario Brothers 1 without using any warps, 1-up tricks, or continues.

Not throwing Ghosts 'n Goblins away when finding out I had to go through the entire game a second time to beat it, and actually going through it again to beat it.

I’ll second the Tetris 9-5 win, that was tough.

Beating Castelvania 2 without any strategy guides, magazines, or cheats. I beat entirely on my own, and wow was that a pain. There is some stuff in there that took forever to figure out.

I’ve played and beaten so many games it’s hard to keep track of my finest achievement. More than half of my life has been dominated by video games, since I got my first games console when I was seven.

However, I guess I can narrow it down to three

Beating Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Although I found Banjo-Kazooie the most difficult of my N64 games, no greater achievement was found when I beat Zelda. reason being? well, I had to restart three times because I either forgot to get dins fire or the goron bracelet before travelling through time for the first ever time. it was so liberating when I finally got to the end.

Another achievement was probably beating the Chronicles of the sword thing in SC3. that irritating boss with soul edge wouldn’t die unless you had Soul Calibur, and I really bad at using the chinese sword class. I just threw my character who used the soul of zasalamel class at him and lost three days straight. it wasn’t until I got severly fed up and made a swordmaster and practiced for a few hours before taking him on…

but my crowning achievement would be beating Super Mario World on the SNES. my very first game. I sucked so bad at that it was unbelievable. it took me ten attempts to beat bowser. once I beat him, I moved onto street fighter…

Laugh if you wish: Getting past the sharks in Tombraider (I don’t remember which one). I have a serious shark phobia, and every time they’d show up I’d just freeze or scream like a little girl. Then get eaten.

Getting to the end of Myst in four nights.

whupping SK’s ass as Cammy.

Haw, I thought you’d name that! I guess when you lose 30-1, the “1” must feel especially glorious.

Personally, the only time I ever really felt a sense of accomplishment from a video game was when I got all the exits in Super Mario World (there were 96, counting all the double exits in the Forest of Illusion). It wasn’t a huge achievement, but it was one of the first games I played so I still remember it. In particular the “Tubular” stage took forever to beat, for some reason.

I actually beat the impossible map you’re supposed to lose in Suikoden 2. The problem with that was that I couldn’t proceed with the game without losing the fight. It was irritating.