The Rpgc Xmas Story 2003

The best way to figure out who the really powerful ones are to think of who has said they are strong in random conversations.

But I would say Sin and Zero (and several other people) are the strong ones. Which leaves the rest of us to deal with Gallolway. Somehow.

Originally posted by Heaven’s Soldier
[b]The best way to figure out who the really powerful ones are to think of who has said they are strong in random conversations.

But I would say Sin and Zero (and several other people) are the strong ones. Which leaves the rest of us to deal with Gallolway. Somehow. [/b]

Can’t we just lure him with pizzas and pump him full of tranqulizers?

Excellent work, Wil! I cannot wait to read the next one.
:cool:

I was surprised that the pieces on Rountree’s chessboard were black and red, rather than black and white. Interesting nevertheless…

Yeah I’ve seen chess boards like that before. Exspecially on boards designed to play chess or checkers. But white and black is the most common around here.

Originally posted by Sir Percival
[b]Excellent work, Wil! I cannot wait to read the next one.
:cool:

I was surprised that the pieces on Rountree’s chessboard were black and red, rather than black and white. Interesting nevertheless… [/b]

Huh? Where does it say it was rountree?

Originally posted by Valkyrie Esker
Huh? Where does it say it was rountree?

It does not, but I have assumed that that is who it is. Of course, I could be wrong.

I was not reading carefully when I composed this post; my hangover was still vexing me.

*Actually, the REAL reason Sin, Zero and such are NOT included in the story is because they didn’t ASK to be included in my joining thread. (I included Weiila only because she’s our Media Board Goddess. Besides, I needed someone from the RPGC staff.) By the same token, EVERYONE who posted in the joining thread WILL be included, you have my WORD on that. Just be patient, folks.

*Percival: I’m very glad you’ve liked my story; I’m assuming that means you approve of my description of your character, and of my use of Arthurian Mythos (yes, that vision your character had will be relevant later.) I also like Arthuriana, and this is my chance to use at least some of it in a story! As for the villains’ ID, I’m NOT revealing it yet!

*Oh, and GREAT job on noticing the colors of the chess board, Perc! THAT is one of the clues to the villain’s identity- thought it is so subtle, I doubt anyone will guess what it means.

*Next chapter should be up late tonight, I’m working on it right now!

ROCKEFELLER CENTER, New York City, New York:
Rockefeller Center is the nation’s favorite Christmas destination. Every year more than a million visitors make the Radio City Christmas Spectacular part of their holiday festivities. And its Christmas Tree lighting ceremony draws huge crowds eagerly awaiting the official start of the season.

Today, however, passersby witnessed in shock as the beloved spruce was set ON FIRE by a maniacal, laughing young man with spiked hair.

Another symbol of Xmas down, Galloway thought, and laughed. “He” was right, Xmas was just another illusion the human weaklings gave themselves to feel safe in a world that is too tough for them to survive. If they love it so much, let’s see them fight for it!

So far, only New York policemen had defied him. He’d allowed them to shoot him, just to see their expressions as their bullets bounced off him. Right now, he stood on top of the statue next to the (now shattered) ice rink in front of the building, the Xmas tree burning behind him. He was surrounded by squad cars and armed cops, but they had stopped shooting at him. He could swat them like flies now, but he was waiting to see what they would try next. The National Guard, maybe? The very idea made him crack up.

Watching from a nearby street corner, but beyond Galloway’s field of vision, were WM and Weiila.
-“Weiila, can you scan him? My scan spells never work, and I NEED to know if that’s Galloway or an impostor” Wil whispered.
-“I think so. Let me see…” Weiila answered, and concentrated for several seconds. Her expression was grim.
-“As far as I can tell, that IS d. He has a very distinctive aura. But I also sense something… WRONG with his soul. It’s now mostly- evil!”
-“Rats, sounds like he’s been brainwashed. I was hoping it wasn’t really him, so I could let loose with my deadliest spells.”
-“What are we going to do, Wil?” Weiila whispered to him, worried.
-“I have a plan, but I need to get close to Gallo first. Damn, if only he would come down from there!”

Just at that moment, a military truck arrived, and several armed soldiers quickly got out and spreaded around the area.
-I’ll be damned, they DID call the National Guard! Galloway thought, and started laughing harder than ever.
-“Attention, stranger!” the sargeant in command of the NG squad shouted over a megaphone, “Surrender, or we’ll be forced to use deadly force!”
-“Up yours, weekend warrior!” was Galloway’s response.
For a moment, nothing happened except that the soldiers and the policemen were talking furiously with each other about what to do.
Galloway got tired of waiting. He flew down to street level, and all the policemen immediately retreated, abandoning their cars.
-“This might be my chance, Weii. You stay here.”
-“What? You don’t want me to help?”
-“I might need you to heal me later” Wil explained. “Besides, someone’s got to look out for the bystanders, including the soldiers and cops.”

Galloway walked toward the soldiers, and they retreated as well, while one of them pulled out a grenade and tossed it at him.
It hit him dead-on.
KA-BOOOM!!!
For a moment, nothing could be seen due to the smoke.

But a moment later, when it began to clear, Galloway was STILL standing, in the middle of a smoking crater- completely unharmed.
-“HA HA HA HA!!” he roared in laughter. “Is THAT the best you can do?? Come on!! Bring in the bazookas, the tanks, the missiles!! NONE of them will save you, you pathetic insects!!”

But as he laughed, he noticed that the smoke was still lingering. Shouldn’t it have cleared by now?
In fact, it was getting thicker!
Maybe it was the smoke from the burning tree, blown this way by a change in the wind?
But it doesn’t SMELL like smoke…
Wait. Didn’t something like this just happen?
But that would mean- no, that’s not possible, he’s dead!
At the last moment, Galloway felt someone approaching him from behind. But before he could turn, a voice shouted out, “STOP!”
And he did-
-in fact, he froze in place!
-“HAH! Gotcha now!!” Wilfredo said, as he walked out of the mist he’d summoned.

He approached Galloway, who was standing as still as a park statue.

For, that shout hadn’t been just a command- it was a TIME STOP spell!

It didn’t actually stop time, it slowed the target down to the point that it seemed to be frozen still. But that should be enough to keep Galloway quiet until the rest of RPGC showed up.

-“Whew” Wil whispered, “I’m SO glad that worked. For a moment there, I was afraid I-”
And then, Galloway lunged at him!!!
-“YAAH!!” Wil shouted, and jumped to the side!
And Galloway-
-MISSED him???
-“Wha…?” Both of them said, at the same time.
Wil couldn’t believe Galloway was moving! He was SURE that his spell had taken effect, he could feel it!
Galloway couldn’t believe he’d missed Martinez. And why was he moving so slowly? He should have zoomed at him!
He was moving at- normal speed???
-“What… have you done… to me?” he angrily said.
-“What the-” Wil gasped, then realized what had happened. “Your Superspeed!” he said aloud, “it countered my Stop spell- and vice versa!”
-“Stop spell…? Since when do you… know Time Mage Spells?”
-“Oh, I know all manner of Spells, Gallo. I have told you that many times. Or did you think I was boasting?” Wil said, mockingly.
-“EXCEPT healing spells” Galloway responded. “All I need is to hit you ONCE, and you’re DEAD!”
Wil cursed. He had hoped that Galloway had forgotten his limitation.
-“Then go ahead and TRY, Monkey Boy!”
Galloway lunged again, with enough power on his fist to shatter a brick wall.
But before his punch connected, WM shouted, “VANISH!”
Galloway’s fist hit empty air.
-“What the!?” Galloway gasped.
Martinez was gone!
Did he teleport away?
But how did he cast the spell so quickly!?
-“Surprised, d?” Wil’s voice sounded, with no visible source. “You didn’t think I could cast spells so fast, did you? You forget, Gallo, that I have YEARS of experience as an adventurer. Did you think I would’ve survived if I hadn’t mastered quick spell-casting?”
-“Turning invible will NOT save you! I’ll keep throwing punches until I find you!!”
-“Be my guest” Wil responded.
Galloway punched again, in the direction the voice had come from.
No contact.
Galloway cursed.
Silently, Wil laughed. Galloway didn’t seem to know that vanish wasn’t just an invisibility spell; it made the target unsolid as a ghost as well. No matter what supermove Galloway used, it would go harmlessly thru him!
That should give him time to come up with a way to defeat the Saiyan.
Or so he thought.
-“Fine, Martinez! Hide if you wish! I know that invisibility spells only last until you attack! Sooner or later, you’ll reveal yourself- and THEN I’ll get you!!”
Rats, he was hoping that Galloway didn’t know that. Now he needed to think faster, before D decided to just fly away.
He had PLENTY of superspells he could use against Galloway- Ultima, Flare, Meteor, etc- but he doubted any of them could take him down on one shot. Besides, he didn’t REALLY want to hurt him, not if there was the chance that this was the real d Galloway.
He needed to incapacitate him- but how? He also knew plenty of Status Effect spells, but which ones would affect a Saiyan?
Dammit, if only his Scanning spells worked! But, just as with Healing, Wil had the wrong “magical chemistry” to learn them. Most of the time, his attempts at scanning just got him visions of naked women.
Not that he minded THAT, but that wasn’t going to do him any good.
He decided to just try them all at the same time.

Wil walked silently away from d, still within combat range but away from where d was looking at the moment.

Then he began to inhale.
Galloway turned, having thought he heard the sound of breathing.
Wil then nbecame visible (and solid) the vanish spell ending as he unleashed his attack.
-“THERE you are!” Galloway screamed, and lunged at him-
-But before he could hit Martinez, the young man blew out a cloud of thick, sickly-looking green gas at his face!
-“What the- ARRRRRGHHHH!!!” was Galloway’s shocked reaction!
He reeled back in pain!
He couldn’t see! Everything was spinning! And the stench! Gods of Planet Vegeta, THE STENCH!!!"
Even in his confusion, Galloway recognized what he had been hit with:
A Bad Breath Spell!
But that’s a Blue Mage spell! A very rare one, too! Martinez knew THAT too???

Wil watched as Galloway reeled around the still-misted up street, like a punch-drunk boxer. Damn, I was hoping that Gallo would get petrified, or at least asleep. No such luck! Wil thought. But at least it looks like he’s blinded and confused, possibly poisoned as well, from the green tone of his skin. Considering d was so powerful, he was lucky those effects had even taken root.

Galloway began to fling around punches randomly. He was MAD now, as well as confused.
-Oops, better protect myself now WM thought, and quickly said, GOLEM!
Just at that moment, one of Galloway’s super-punches headed his way.
Just when it looked like Wil was going to get flattened, a giant hand made of dirt and rocks raised right thru the street pavement- and blocked the blow!
KWAMM!! the impact sounded, reverberating thru the street, small chips of the hand flying everywhere- yet, amazingly, the rocky hand blocked the blow, the magic behind it allowing it to resist where most manmade materials never would.
-“How do you like my Golem Summon, d?” Wil couldn’t help boasting. “Little trick I learned in Gaia 5. Go ahead, try to find me! It won’t do you any good, it’ll automatically block your attacks!”
Galloway cursed again. Summons too!? Dammit, Martinez wasnt kidding, he DID know a ridiculous amount of spells!
For the first time, the Saiyan began to take Martinez seriously. He HAD to do something, or he might very well lose!
So he did what all Super Saiyans do when in trouble-
he began to power up!
-“UuuuuuuuAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!” he screamed, and his body began to glow like the sun!
Wil gasped. Dammit, he’s going Super on me!
Gotta stop him, or even the Golem won’t be able to protect me!
-“BLACKSHOK!!” he screamed!
Waves of a dark energy struck the still-charging up Saiyan. Galloway felt as if the chill of the grave had reached him!
And, incredibly, he felt his power leaving him!
He had depowered back to normal level!
But HOW? That had never happened before!!!
-“That’s called Blackshok. Blue Magic Spell” Wil felt like explaining. “Cuts your level of power in half.”
-“That TEARS it, Martinez! You’re GOING DOWN!!!” Galloway screamed at the top of his lungs.
He raised his arms, and began to summon energy from the very environment around him. Above his head, a huge glowing sphere began to form.
It was called a Spirit Bomb, and it was one of the most destructive Chi-based attacks known. Wil didn’t know that, but he didn’t have to to guess that it would probably not just kill him, but take the city of New York along with him!
He had to stop Galloway! Now!
But HOW?
Then he decided to take a desperate gamble.
-“DEMI!” he screamed, and waves of gravity assaulted Galloway’s very molecular structure, weakening it.
He grunted, but didn’t stop. The spirit Bomb continued to grow.
Wil decided that, in his weakened state, he could probably kill Galloway with a Mega-Spell.
But- was he willing to that?
No! He had to try to stop him WITHOUT killing him! He had to have faith!
-Help me, Lord! he silently prayed, and lunged forward.
He touched Galloway just as he was about done gathering energy for the bomb, and shouted, “STONE!”
-“What??” Galloway screamed, as he felt his body turn to stone. “Damn you Marti-”
And he became a stone statue.
Wil looked up at the Spirit Bomb, afraid it might go off even now.

But the bomb began to disperse, its energies returning to the Earth.

Wil left out a sigh of relief.
His gamble had paid out. Weakened by the Demi spell, Galloway WAS vulnerable to his Stone spell.

Weiila then came out of the mists, having sensed the end of the fight.
-“Wil! Is it over?”
-“For now” he answered. “But my spell won’t last forever. Let’s get him back to RPGC headquarters, and put him in a containment unit.”

And meanwhile, in a dark room somewhere else, the robed, long-fingered chessplayer took a Red Knight from the opposing side of his board, and used it to knock down a Black Rook on his side.
-“Point for you, Protectors” he said, to no one.
And then he exploded in laughter again…

(NEXT: And where are the other heroes?)

First of all, nice battle. But how long did you say that Stone spell lasts? Just so I’m prepared for Galloway is free again.

Also you are going to need one hell of a strong containment unit to hold THAT saiyan.

So keep writing so we can see who is ready to fight, this evil “Balck and Red” chess playing mastermind.

Sounds like its not going to be a good idea to be around wehn Gallo recovers :stuck_out_tongue:

Nice job Wil, the pace of the story is just about right :slight_smile:

Hmm. black and red. Seems kind of like a metaphor for the forces of Christmas against the Forces of Darkness instead of The forces of good against the forces of evil. Wonder who on rpgc has a serious hatred for christmas.

and Wil. you better hope Gallo doesn’t get free because if he does he’s going to be immune to all those status effects you used on him. Although if the bad breath didn’t petrify I don’t see how the stone spell would of unless gallos immunity was mental based instead of geneticly based.

Or mabye status effect him in the same way capture abilities work, the less health you have left, the more chance they work.

Wilfredo, you’ve won this round, but I shall return!

Originally posted by Wilfredo Martinez
*Percival: I’m very glad you’ve liked my story; I’m assuming that means you approve of my description of your character, and of my use of Arthurian Mythos (yes, that vision your character had will be relevant later.)

Yes, I had imagined my character and his background somewhat differently than you have portrayed them, but that does not vex me; the story is yours and you have obviously tailored my character to fit it well. And I noted that my character wielded a bastard sword, not a broadsword, in my description, but I have no problem if you want to change it to a broadsword.

On the subject of the chessboard, my wild guess is that the colour red represents love and black represents hatred or feeling forsaken by love. The red bishop represents spiritual love and/or moral code or religious doctrine rooted in the power of love. The felling of the bishop represents disillusionment with that code or doctrine (or with spiritual love itself) and/or with an authoritative figure who vindicates it.

At first, I thought that the red bishop represented Shalcar and the black knight Rountree and that Rountree would try to deal against Shalcar in order to blackmail Percival.

*Heaven’s Soldier: How the RPGC Containment Units work will be soon explained.

*Chris: You pegged it about the Status Effects thing. (0riginally, I was going to use a magic-resistance-lowering spell, but I forgot how it’s called, or even WHICH game it’s from, so I settled for the “Low HP” idea.)

*d: Yes you will- but in what condition? ; )

*Perci: Did I say BROADsword? My mistake! I can edit it if you want.
As for the chesspieces’s colors- err, it isn’t THAT subtle a clue. But I fear only a Dungeons & Dragons fan will get it. (And THAT is a clue in and of itself!)

More story tonight!!!

Originally posted by Wilfredo Martinez
*Chris: You pegged it about the Status Effects thing. (0riginally, I was going to use a magic-resistance-lowering spell, but I forgot how it’s called, or even WHICH game it’s from, so I settled for the “Low HP” idea.)

Like Capture abilities.

Did the villian sign up in the sign up thread? And from the way Dragon Ninja Dungeon masters it wouldn’t surprise me if he was the evil villian.

Videospirit: No, the villain is fictional, not a member of the boards. The mystery hero, however, is (but he’s not in the thread.) : )

You sure the hero’s a he? Or are you just saying that as a placeholder instead of it?

Originally posted by Heaven’s Soldier
Pokefreak: You mean a pawn right. Possibly the weakest piece (unless you know how to use them).

Yeah, one of those… For several reasons actually…

1. I am weak, always have been, always will be.
  2. I would not hesitate to “take one for the team” as the pawns are often forced to do.
    and 3. It would put me between my friends (the other pieces on my side) and whoever is on the other side :stuck_out_tongue:

And I can’t wait to see what happens tonight Wil :smiley: