the draft

Actually, that would it’d be pretty pointles considering how close we are with Canada. Part of the reason a dishonorable discharge hurts you so much is that you sort of have to work at getting one.

I’d be up for draft in 2006. And if it came to it, I’d run and dodge my way out of it. I’m nowhere near brave enough for the frontlines and I completely oppose the war.

females cant be placed on the front line but nowadays we dont really know where the frontline is.

I still oppose the war and would more likely do harm to it. Besides, I hear Australia’s nice at this time of the year.

I’m morally opposed to the draft whether I agree with the cause or not. If I strongly believe some war was the right course of action (such as WWII), I would voluntarily enlist. If I have no strong opinions or outright disagree, I will not enlist.

But, I will not run or hide. I will not flee to some other nation. I will not allow the country I love to be corrupted by such an unLockeian principle. I will fight, and I will go to jail before I allow this country to be further corrupted by such a policy.

You really wouldn’t have to worry about a draft. Even if you did get called up, you would mostly be staying back at base, maybe doing convoys. You’d be put in the safest areas.

EDIT: Just to put fears to ease.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=578&e=5&u=/nm/20041005/pl_nm/campaign_draft_dc

One of my high school buddies was an Army Ranger, and he was dishonorably discharged for smoking pot. Now he can’t even get a job at McDonalds. Luckily for him, though, his parents are rich, but it’s only a matter of time before he’s completely fucked.

And on another note, If There was a draft, I wouldn’t get in(to the front lines) anyway because I have been turned down by the military twice for my asthma and once failed a drug test. I personally think there is no need for a draft, and if there was a draft, it would only be a small part of a greater agenda that not many of us understand or care to know about anyway, and that’s my take. But the number of times that I’ve been turned down by the military would probably be thrown out the window in the event of a draft. but because of the reasons stated at the beginning of the paragraph, I probably wouldn’t be made into a frontline fighter anyway, I’d probably be using computers, or working the mail room, or military media.

I’m only 15, so i dont have to worry about a draft right now, but if in the future i was drafted, I dont know what I’d do. I think I’d be too chicken to run or go to jail, to be honest.

I’m just surprised it’s a democrat who is proposing it.

Ironic isn’t it?

Yeah, really. Fortunately, this particular bill is now dead.

Hooray for democracy!

From interviews I’ve heard concerning this bill, Rangle proposed it because he felt a disproportionate amount of minorities serve in the military. So, I’m guessing he proposed this bill partly to take a proportionate burden off of the minorities while at the same time making Congress less likely to send their own kids into war. That’s the only reason I can think of why Lewis (D. GA) would sign it.

Yeah, I think Rangel wanted to make some kind of statement rather than actually reintroduce the draft. There’s no way that fucker could have passed a couple of weeks before an election. In normal circumstances, a bill like this would always get killed. If Bush gets elected, though, I think it’s quite likely that another one would pop up shortly afterwards. The neoconservatives think Iraq isn’t enough; they want to start more wars, and there’s just no way that we can get enough troops for all of them without a draft.

see the thing is we dont need to be in half the places we are…like germany, and arent some in france, then theres italy…i think we’re in iran too…even tho iran was helping us or is helping idk we’re in israel right? i mean why are we in germany…why are we in italy…we’re trying to be to many places all at once

The troops in Europe are stationed there. We have troops in Japan too, ti is just a normal base. Those troops aren’t in a combat zone. Being on a base in Europe is no different than being on a base here in the states. They are authorized by the respective governments. We aren’t in Iran, we have troops on the border, but we aren’t in Iran. Right now we are negotiating with Iran about its nuclear weapons.

I think crino is saying we don’t really need to be stationed in Western Europe or Japan (or any other stable, far from combat (which makes Japan debateable given N. Korea) ally).

Actually, they help a lot. They make our troops mroe mobil and able to move anywhere very fast. Also, we move troops to places like Germany if they are injured in combat, such as in Iraq or Afgahnistan right now. It increases their chances of getting the help that they need.

soon my brother who is a corpsman (medic) for the navy is going to be transfered to a military hospital in sicily.

and the reason most of those bases in europe even existed in the first place was because of the cold war and the USSR.

i guess my only qualm is…if we have bases for mobility…why arent we trading off or using those troops…like have a group from germnay go over and be there for a couple months while the people who were there go to germany and dick around for however long then have the people who are in iraq from germany go to the iran border base and have the ones at iran go so that we dont have troops there for long periods of time…