the draft

Did you even read a word that I said? I said that we have small portion of our military there and we still have plenty to send and don’t need a draft. Also, the war over there is much different from what you are thinking. It isn’t like wars of the past where you just send a shit load of troops charging at the enemy while taking fire and you need massive amounts to get some troops past the fire.

/me points to mexico

Would they dare?

It’d be ironic at best if there was illegal immigration in to Mexico.

Honor is one thing, stupidity is another. People talk all the time about how they’d be macho enough to accept a draft and go over to Iraq when they aren’t even sure there’s going to be one. Like Hades said, it’s to satisfy their sense of ethics. However, a draft at this point would be utterly moronic. We have but a small portion of our men overseas in Iraq and Afghanistan, and the cause for the draft would be completely unjustified. A draft for WWII is one thing, a draft for a Middle Eastern Vietnam that will probably accomplish almost nothing is another.

Do you have any idea how bad a dishonorable discharge ruins your life? o_O;;

Is it honorable to fight for an illegal and immoral war? And if so, what good is honor if you’re a fucking corpse?

While we’re on the topic of honor, how honorable is it to leave your friends and family behind while you go off to war to potentially be killed for a meaningless cause? How honorable is it to kill people who were forced to do the same?

Accepting a draft isn’t honor. It’s blind patriotism. If you want to stay loyal to your country, there are better ways to do it than soiling your country’s name with random arbitrary mass killings.

I’m gonna stop here because I’m walking on the edge of another “is this war justified” argument.

“Here’s my advice: Stick two pens up your nostrils, wear underwear over your head and start talking gibberish. That way they’ll see you’re a bloody lunatic and send you home.”

And I’m going to boot camp next Jan because the options are either it, jail or civil service which equals changing diapers in a retirement home.

If either of those 2 comments (roun/hades) were directed at my post; im not saying it is honorable to accept the draft and go fight. All i am saying is that izludes plan to get a dishonorable discharge may not work out as well as he hopes.

Mine wasn’t directed at you. It was more of a follow up on my previous post. Sorry.

we can be a country that believes in war and still says we dont i blelive was how southpark put it… :booster:

This is an easy question to answer. People condemn George W. Bush for avoiding combat in Vietnam because George W. Bush supported the Vietnam War at the time, and now sends American troops off to die for the sake of neoconservative ideology. From these facts, people conclude that George W. Bush thinks that these wars are worth getting Americans killed in, but nonetheless is unwilling to risk his own life in them, which reflects poorly on his character. Also, many of the people who fled to Canada didn’t have the option of getting positions in the National Guard because they lacked the connections to do so, so their situation was not equivalent to Bush’s.

Just out of curiousity, what about all the condemnation over the National Guard prior to the 2000 election when had yet to, from my recollection, propose any kind of foreign wars? Was it just the resentment over connections then?

The draft will never work now. People are too educated and know from the experience/scars of Vietnam that the draft will alienate the common people from the government and from the military they so do not wish to be in.

Well, like I said, Bush did support the Vietnam War even though he didn’t intend to fight in it. Aside from that, yes, people did resent the fact that rich folks who didn’t want to fight could use their connections to avoid fighting without losing any sort of prestige, whereas ordinary people basically had a choice between being drafted, fleeing the country, going to jail, or inflicting some kind of injury on themselves.

elvis was drafted

And he accepted it and went. Which is why Elvis is still the King.

A dishonorable dicharge fucks up your life unimaginable ways. Don’t expect to get a job anywhere nice. You might as well just drop out of college and save yourself the money if you plan on getting a dishonorable discharge. You will have a hell of a time getting any job with a dishonorable discharge. You would be lucky to get McDonald’s to help you. Not only that, but by getting a dishonorable discharge, you become ineligible for any government support, such as loans or welfare. There’s a bunch of other things, but you will be royally fucked.

yea if you get a dishonorable discharge you might as well move to canada :hahaha;