Romancing SaGa PS2 Remake!

I’m interested, though I’ve only played RS3. I would like to see the first game.

(Although I still wish Square would get off their butts and make some real games instead of all this remaking. And good ones too, not just Final Fantasy CML (Roman Numerals for 1550))

The way I hear it, the only thing they’re NOT completely redoing is the plot/character roster. In other words, they’re trying to make a composite “SaGa experience” without having the inherent wierdness attached to the last 3 games in the series. Basically they want to make it accessible and boost sales without scaring people away like they did with US. Really, the best thing they could do in this respect is just to print a decent manual.

PS What game is the “dancer” smily for the site from? That is one hot 16-bit pixel drawing. =D

:dancer: This one.

It looks Breath of Fire 1-ish but there’s no sprite like that in the actual game (All the sprites in BoF are “top down” like in Zelda.

Unlimited SaGa is sorta fun, but hard, and REALLY complicated. It’s easy to get tired of the board-game map gameplay though and the reel can really piss you off (especially where you have to climb the windy hill with the waterfalls).

Heh I actually use the quest where you have to go through no travel season to collect treasure instead. I honestly don’t care if I fail it. I like quests like that. I seem to have better luck getting money from them for some weird reason.

The Dancer is from the Millenial Fail in Chrono Trigger.

I would be terribly disappointed if this game did not come stateside. RS3 has quickly become one of my favorite RPG’s, despite the fact that I’ve only been playing it for 3 weeks. Good sales figures for Minstral Song could open the door for remakes of RS 2 and RS 3.

On a completely unrelated note, does anyone know why the series is named Romancing Saga? Just curious.

The pet is Gubaba

Is romancing saga gonna have all 3 games, coming to america?

No, it’s only a remake of the first Romancing SaGa, though I think there’ll be alterations made to incorporate ideas from the SaGa games that came out later.

I finally get to play Romancing SaGa. I’ve heard great things and it’s about damn time this game was remade…I have to admit I’m waiting with baited breath.

What are the storylines for the Romancing Saga games?

Meep, sorry I missed this question so long ago. Though it looks like many others missed the question too…

The SaGa part is easy. That’s the name of the series. I don’t know if it stands for anything or is just a play on the word saga. As for romancing, definitions 2, 3a and 3b from the link should explain its meaning in the context of Romancing SaGa.

What are the storylines for the Romancing Saga games?

Like the Final Fantasy series, the SaGa series is a collection of unrelated games with numerous recurring themes. Unlike the FF series, the Romancing SaGa series has a wide variety of smaller plots with one general plot arc that ties the game together. I know RS3 is like this, and from what I know of RS1 I think it may be as well. From what I know of RS2, it’s probably a bit more focused on the big plot, but as I haven’t played it I can’t comment.

Anyway, the main plot arc of RS3 is that a phenomenon known as the Death Eclipse occurs every 300 years. The Death Eclipse has the unfortunate effect of killing all newly born life when it occurs. Several centuries ago, one small boy managed to survive the Death Eclipse, and he went on to become a tyrant known as the Devil King. He opened the gates to the Abyss and let terrible monsters roam freely, plunging the world into darkness.

During the next Death Eclipse, another boy lived who went on to become a hero known as the Holy King. With the aid of his allies and some legendary items, he was able to fight off the Abyss Lords and re-seal the gates, bringing a time of peace back to the world. Another Death Eclipse happened a mere 16 years before the game, so it’s just about the time at which the surviving ‘destined child’ will be coming into adulthood. Will he be another Holy King, or another Devil King?

From here you pick up the story based on which character you choose. While each character starts with their own story, and have a few minor twists here and there, the overall game tends to be the same collection of smaller stories as you build towards the ending. The main plot arc is that the Abyss Gates have re-opened enough for the Abyss Lords to send their shadows into the world to stir up trouble. It’s up to whatever hero you choose to seal them, though it seems you start sealing the gates quite by accident. Once you finally seal the fourth Abyss Gate, the identity of the destined child becomes apparent (though you can figure it out a lot sooner). I’ll leave out the last bit of the game, as it’s a big spoiler.

That synopsis is probably way too short and wrong on a few small details, but you should get the gist of it. Of course, that doesn’t help explain the first Romancing SaGa, which is the basis for Minstrel Song. But since I can’t read Japanese and there’s no really good patch out, I haven’t played RS1.

Yeah, I was wondering if the first two RS games have been translated yet? How would these games rank up against the later games of the series like the Frontier games and Unlimited?

I do not know the status of their translations. As for how they would stack up it depends on what you want in a game. Take FFIV vs FFV for example. FFIV is set job classes while FFV is customized job classes. One person will hate FFV because they can make everyone the same while another will hate FFIV because there is no customization or freedom in the battle system.

Romancing SaGa, I have played. However I guessed my way through it. It’s kind of fun. More or less I just explored and eventually won. I’m too tired to explain how the game works and I have to double check anyway. I’ll let someone else do it hopefully.

Some good news for you people. This is quote from a poster (yazarc420) at Gamefaqs. Oh yes a link to the topic.

I have some good news.

I have this habit of hanging out at the USPTO website and seeing what’s been trademarked.

This morning, I saw at the top of the results for “Kabushiki Kaisha Square Enix” was none other than “Romancing SaGa”.

It’s status is “Intent to Use” which is a great sign that it could possibly come to the US after its Japanese release.

After hearing that news I’ve gone into supraventricular tachycardia. My heart is beating out of my chest. Well really that’s good news, I hope it does come over.

Do a search for the game at Gamestop. Unless they are lying the game is coming out to the U.S. Hence probably why the trademark was registered.

That seems pretty legitamate (the gamestop entry). Keep in mind, though, that these are the same people who were taking preorders for an Xbox version of Suikoden 3… -_-

Love the original at least they changed the looks on them mainly the whole deal, battle music, and such never really beaten either of the three saga games :runaway:

Should i buy unlimited saga? I like the game its different than the other 8 SaGa games including the ones on GB. :thinking:

That game is definitely hard?!
What character did you pick?

Oh and btw who edited terra’s look :too bad: like she has black/brown hair

Like Thomas is Edgar and
Gau is Mikal
Relm is Monica
and other such mess.

It was great the storyline was perfect and revamped to look and act like Romancing Saga 3. Oh and i seen Ellen’s ending from a save state in an emulator.