ok, what's the big deal about Harry Potter?

870? Wow, No wonder it took her so long.

SG is right, they are for all ages.

That scene when they kill what’s-his-name at the end of Goblet of Fire ROCKED.

From the 5th book
“We aren’t using magic?” Ron ejaculated loudly.

That line makes me giggle.

I can’t understand why everybody’s so obsessed with the books. I heard there were 300 cars parked outside of some book store midnight the day it came out. I find the books to be incredibly mediocre. They seem so formulaic, and the writing’s so simple. And for some reason, it’s like 12 font and 1.5 spaced, so it’s not even that big. The market’s oversaturated, too. Candy, easy bake ovens, figurines, toy playsets, movies, video games, extra books, fake HP glasses.

And while people say it’s getting kids to read again, it’s only true in a way. It’s only getting kids to read Harry Potter. They don’t read anything else if they didn’t before.

Originally posted by Cless Alvein
It’s just simply an addicting series. Take Lord of the Rings. People are also obsessed with it, but it’s after all, only a book; you’ve seen the movies, it’s about a bunch of orcs and humans trying to cut each other’s head off with a dark all-mighty lord and a few lovable short clumsy guys thrown in, right? But the point is that it’s well-written and people like it, and that’s what matters, really. Nobody’s forcing you to read it, it’s just like any other popular book, it has humour and a plot and can take you in if you read it with an open mind.
Whoa whoa, we’ve got some serious CRHP syndrome going on here :stuck_out_tongue: I never said I didn’t like idea of the series, I was just interested to know what about the books makes them so appealing, especially since the movies and things I have seem aren’t terribly special. See, the problem is most people can only answer with “Uh…it’s good. You should read it!” and then I ask why, and I get for a response, “Uh…it’s good. You should read it!”. Actually, SG gave me one of the better responses I’ve yet heard, but most replies in this thread otherwise fit in that mold. I just wanted to know what makes the series so appealing, no need to get so irritable :stuck_out_tongue:

I sounded irritated? Blah :stuck_out_tongue:

If you want fine points, then I’ll give you fine points :stuck_out_tongue: The author’s style of diction is, as was said, very easy to read and understand. There are very nice jokes in it that’ll make you laugh. The characters, especially Harry, inspire pathos from the reader because of how badly he’s treated, and when he causes his uncle to mess up an important meeting or whatever, you feel happy that the villainous uncle is punished (and Rowling does an excellent job of making the uncle seem terrible) and feel bad for Harry. He’s just simply an awesome protagonist. The descriptions are quite vivid, although the main thing that captures your attention is not the vividness, it’s the creativity of the author thinking up these things. Also, the series itself, and, well, it’s magic. Who doesn’t like magic? :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t understand the hype either. The books just didn’t seem that imaginative to me. However, I have to say that if those books have the effect of making children like to read, then they’re just great, as far as I’m concerned.

the movies sucked.

I thought they were aveerage. The last bit in Chamber was alright, with the death and huge CGI serpent and everything.

Ok, being a big time Pott-head, let me speak on this stands on soapbox

I feel that the summary of the Potter books and why most people like them are two entirely differnt things. You can look on the covers on the books, reviews, etc. just for the summary, but the reason why people like them is possibly just the whole charm of the book. J.K. did a semi-excellent job on the descriptions throughout the book, but I always thought she left out a lot of detail just for the reader to make up his/her own mind what this/that should look like. You can take all the “magic” out of the Potter books, but you can’t take the charm out of them. If you just had a book about the magic spells they use, it’d get pretty damn boring after a while, ya know.

Also, I fell that the whole wizarding world has a “Willy Wonka” approach to it, minus the midgets and the hint of child molestation seriously. They have all these wacked out rules, ways they do stuff, almost an old fashion approach to everything (They haven’t used electricity or any “modernized” stuff like that, and yet they say “I can’t believe how the Muggles are still surviving without magic!” I love that whole concept) Yet throughout all the madcap humor, nonsense, some jaberwocky, etc. etc., the book still manages to continue on with a well based storyline without focusing too much on the “Willy Wonka”-ish like feel.

Then I also have to think about it’s British roots. There are so many British sayings you just have to wonder sometimes (Are you taking the mickey??)

The reason why it took J.K. so long to release the new book is easily explained. The movies for one. She was on the production stage almost the ENTIRE time to oversee everything to make sure they get it “just right”. Throughout all that, she barely had time to work on it, yeah? The second movie production, she was hardly there as she admitted she was still working on the Fifth book. Then there was the birth of her new child as well that could’ve delayed her. Now, throughout all the hubbub of the movies coming out, her child, her increase through popularity, you KNOW she had to be dizzy from all this publicity. The last thing she needed was more publicity, and that’s why she held off on the book for a while. I think she was stratigically thinking the whole thing thorugh, actually.

Also, I think that she spent so much time focusing on the storyline progression she forgot about why her books became so well loved in the first place (IMO, again). The charm. You can have all the seriousness about “Dark Lord rirses, Death Eaters Converge, Teenage Angst, etc”, but you still have to remember. Willy Wonka, British roots, whatever. I thought she slipped up from this in the last book.

To tell the truth, I’m really not a big time Fantasy buff. I usually imagine half of the book being in anime style…(hrm…Potter Manga…)

Back to the main topic, I feel, in answering Merl’s question, that the whole charm of the books is why they are so damn popular.

And now I’m hoping like hell this all makes sence. @_@

It DOES create a more realistic (you know what i mean) approach than most other magic books. A quote for you:

“A dragon a man can believe in. Time travel, a man can believe in. But a time travelling dragon asks too much”

HP manages to stop just before the point of ridiculousness.

I still won’t pay £20 for it though…

Pierson: WTF was that quote from? I don’t remember that…

Once again, it’s all about Charm.

Most of you know I’m not a big fantasy buff. The Harry Potter books are just well written - that’s what pulls me into them - that and the interesting progression of the story. We went from a slight bumbling of charachters and actions to a tale of dark clouds forming over a peaceful group, to the peaceful group taking arms against the evil. Rowling successfully delivers a lush environment with vivid sequences in an easy to read setup, which is what makes it so popular - everyone can read and understand it.

Actually, Harry potter is a really good book, I have no idea how people odealize it with LotR, all the similarities are that they are both fantasies.

For a story, HP has a very unique setting and good british writing, which is far superior than any other English use of any other countries. The writing is sharp, it is very exciting, but the villain is pretty repetitive. But it is a excellent read and shouold be enjoyed by adults and children, well, you can’t judge it unless you’ve read it, I used to HATE Hp, but when I actually opened the damn book, it was very good.

It may not exceed lord of the rings in any way imaginable, but it is a very popular series and is a great read.

Oh yeah and Class, I was sickened by your speech on Lord of the Rings, so you should keep your mouth shut for things you do not KNOW ABOUT. Tolkien spent 50 years of his life on the novel, and it’s not about “Orcs and humans cutting their heads off”, if you actually READ the book, that post which you typed would of turned out really differently. Now if you read the book already, I suggest you read it again for christ sake, cause it’s been the best damn trilogy for 50 years now!

Harry Potter sucks!

Originally posted by Maverick_Mech
Oh yeah and Class, I was sickened by your speech on Lord of the Rings, so you should keep your mouth shut for things you do not KNOW ABOUT. Tolkien spent 50 years of his life on the novel, and it’s not about “Orcs and humans cutting their heads off”, if you actually READ the book, that post which you typed would of turned out really differently. Now if you read the book already, I suggest you read it again for christ sake, cause it’s been the best damn trilogy for 50 years now!

Wow you’re dumb. He was generalizing Lord of the Rings in the same manner that someone generalized Harry Potter. Sit in the corner and count your brain cell. What exactly makes you think he knows nothing about the books? I happen to know that he has already read them, and enjoys both the movies and the novels. (And If I’m wrong, whatever, fuck it.)

For the record, Lord of the Rings is easily some of the worst literature I’ve ever read, and arguably some of the worst movies I’
ve ever seen. Just because someone spends 50 years of their life on a book, doesn’t mean it’s the greatest thing ever. The book uses a style that is, no matter how you look at it, boring. People appreciate Tolkien for the sole fact that he basically popularized the fantasy genre and inspired other authors to follow suit and create their own fantasy worlds and write about them.

Lotr is no Dune.

Sorcerer, maybe your just a dumbass cause u can’t read english, jesus

:o-I laugh at you!
Oh yeah and what kinda idiot would say a book sucks and wasted 50 years of his life on it but increased the popularity of a category and encouraged people to write books of their own?

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: -I laugh at you!

Are you trying to start a flame war? And anyways, it’s just his preference as far as books go. So shut the fuck up and stop flaming people.

What the hell are you talking about? Nice try, but your pathetic attempts at flaming me are denied. Back up punk, I’ve been home for only a few hours, and I’ve got an itchy trigger finger.

I don’t deny that the Lord of the Rings Trilogy had a big effect on the genre, mainly through creating it, and I never tried to deny that. If having an opinion makes me an idiot, well, I guess I’m an idiot.

Stop trying to flame me, especially for no reason - this has got to be one of the most random flame attempts I’ve ever seen.

Im making a point smart-ass. I really dont think someone would TRY to be smart by sayoing something like that, really, now forget LotR for a moment, and get back to Harry P.