ok, what's the big deal about Harry Potter?

I like Harry Potter, but I’m not a diehard fan of it. Just a good piece of entertainment. Though I can’t understand why a lot of people go crazy over the new release as though they had just met a huge celebrity or something.

Personally, I love the touches of humor that go into them. The books really make me laugh! But besides that, the characters are interesting and human. She also has a way of writing that leaves you wondering what’s going to happen next, and you never really know just who’s enemy and who’s friend…the ending ALWAYS leaves me surprised! I wouldn’t judge the books by the movies…the books are about 10 times better, even though the movies are fun to watch. I’m dying to get the latest one, but none of the nearby stores are selling it…which is good…since I’m trying REALLY hard not to spend my money on anything until after I get settled into my new apartment.

Anyway, give the books a try. They’re not difficult to read, they don’t patronize, and theyr’e just FUN. No political views stamped into your brain, no morale slammed in your face, just a classic story about good and evil told in an absorbing manner.

I don’t know, but he scares me.

Eek.

I think it’s the homey feeling and the lovable characters. There’s an aire of “belonging” in the story, with Harry finding his way through life with his friends. Killing evil and giving his teachers heartattacks along the way :slight_smile:
But as Fae mentioned, the surprise style is what grips me the most. You think you’ve got things figured out, but then Rowling slams the truth out of left field and it always makes sense no matter how controversial.
But I have to say, it’s becoming less of real children’s books. The final chapters of the fourth book almost turned my hair gray :eek:

I very much enjoy the books. I just finished Book 5 earlier today.
I’m some where between a “moderate fan” and a “rabid fan”.

Well, I haven’t really got anything to add. They’re simply worth reading. :slight_smile:

I’m not going to post a spoiler, since everyone who sees one automatically highlights it.

People like them because they’re like everyone’s life, growing up, the same problems and situations (well, kinda…) just with magic and stuff. Plus she puts in blatent references to the real world and totalitarianism. Like Tolkein did. And personally I like her prose style, it’s easy to read and you can safely skip descriptions if you want to.

The first few Harry Potter books are a bit childish and not as good to read as the new ones. The new ones are getting MUCH darker and are becoming more suited to adult readers. The problem is, you’ve got to read the series in order or you won’t understand anything that’s going on.

Although I’m not one of those fanboys who go to the bookstore at midnight to be the very first to buy it, I do still recommend the book, it is fun to read and very interesting and while she may not have the most original ideas, she is still a pretty good writer that seems to be able to breath new life into the ideas.

Also, don’t judge the books by the films. The films were much shitter and watered down than the books and they don’t display the quality of the books at all.

It’s something to read. I mean, I like to read it but I don’t think, rushing and stomping all over people is a good reason to be such a big fan of him. (Geez, my butt still hurts from the other day… ^_^;; ) I think they’ve gone a little too far with him… I like the book and all but to collect merchandice of him? I mean come on people… :hmm: ::doh:: :noway: :enguard:

Although I’m not one of those fanboys who go to the bookstore at midnight to be the very first to buy it

Speaking of those fanboys, I went to Borders after going to see the Hulk with some friends not realizing what day it was. People were dressed up as fuggin’ wizards! I had to push through them! Someone called me a muggle! what the hell! erm… anyways, the books are interesting. Nothing you haven’t read before, but it’s definitely a good read if there are no other books sitting around that you have to read. I just used read three times in that sentence. I just started reading the new one, it’s pretty good so far.

EDIT: oh yeah, it was the day the book was released, if you didn’t get that already.

I might pick it up at the library of something, but £20? Come on!

Well, I haven’t read any of the books, and I too don’t get all the hype about it. I’ve only seen the first two movies, and while I thought they were alright, they were nothing to write home about. But I did enjoy them, and I imagine I’d enjoy the actual books even more, since the original books are always better. But I’m in no hurry to get em, nor do I have the cash to spend on em. Might pick them up one day though, when all the hype wears down.
:stuck_out_tongue:

I think the films for th enext few books (Goblet on onwards) will be much better than the others, with the death and darkness descending on the world and everything.

I read the bloody intro on the first book a few years ago. Not interesting. Bla.

Originally posted by Merlin
[b]Alright, I’ve been hearing for years now from friends, family, passerbys, and extraterristials from Mars that I should really read Harry Potter, that me more than anyone SHOULD be reading it, and that I’m an inferior human being for not doing so. Ok, not quite in those words but you get the idea :stuck_out_tongue:

Now, what’s the big deal about Harry Potter? It’s about a kid who knows magic, I get that. And there are some bad guys and creatures n’ stuff. And I’ve seen the movies, which I thought were extraordinarily average. So, what is the big deal about this series and what has made it addictively popular and why should I sit down and read these beloved tomes of the British word?

I guess I just don’t understand the big hullabaloo beyond that it’s a book most people seem to like. [/b]

It’s just simply an addicting series. Take Lord of the Rings. People are also obsessed with it, but it’s after all, only a book; you’ve seen the movies, it’s about a bunch of orcs and humans trying to cut each other’s head off with a dark all-mighty lord and a few lovable short clumsy guys thrown in, right? But the point is that it’s well-written and people like it, and that’s what matters, really. Nobody’s forcing you to read it, it’s just like any other popular book, it has humour and a plot and can take you in if you read it with an open mind.

Being a major fantasy guru(all starting from RPGs) I find Harry Potter very interesting, but don’t take me for a fanatic altough I have read all 4 books, I did the same thing with the Dragonlance books and LOTR.

I think, especially in certain media of the series, it’s gone a little overboard however.

I originally didn’t like the HP series, because I thought it had been way to merchandised (sp?). But after seeing the first one, my sister, who had read them, told me several things were different, so I read the first book, and actually liked it.

It just seriously is a interesting read, if you are into fantasy. And like everyone else has said, it is just has that quality of writing, that many of todays books are missing.

i read the first 3 books and they were pretty enjoyable. but that new one just looks horrifyingely huge! but i’m getting a little too old for that sort of thing now…

The books get more mature as you go, SquallStrife. And you’re never too old to do somehting you like. Trust me.