NES - How I Love Thee

They wrk pretty much the same as the SNES (having problems at times). They don’t work with cheating devices (the devices just don’t fit in, even if they worked with the original). The graphics are a little bit cleaner, but it also makes things look a little worse (it is hard to explain).

Ah, we still have our old NES at home with games, including the “free but SUBSCRIBE and pay us money!” copy of Dragon Warrior. I can’t remember the last time I played from the cartridges, but it warms my heart to see StarTropics in the box. :smiley:

I still want DW4, and DuckTales rocked. My brother and I would get into fights over Rampage, and one day we and a couple of friends sat down and took shifts in playing that game all the way through. UGH. :smiley:

Yeah, it gives problems about as often as the SNES, which is almost never. The graphics aren’t technically different <I>per se</I>, but the output is a little cleaner. Basically, everything looks the same, except, depending on how good of shape the top loaders’ in, you occasionally see vertical stripes through the picture. They never get in the way of the image, but they’re there.

You could get an adapter from Galoob back when the top loader came out that allowed you to use the Game Genie with the top loading NES. The reason it didn’t work is because Nintendo made the casing slightly longer, so the chips on the Game Genie no longer reached the NES’ “teeth.” Galoob simply gave you an extender, if you asked them for one, for free no less.

Cool. Maybe I’ll get one for cheap on ebay or something. :smiley: As convinient as roms are, it’s just not the same experience, ya know.

What system was that Kid Icarus remake for, anyway?

Are you guys crazy? The Top Loader has a worse quality picture. Period. The lines that MrSaturn mentioned is the main culprit. Also, with the Top Loader, there are no A/V ports, so you need to hook it up via R/F, which is lower quality. Although that’s kind of a moot point, since that’s still how I’ve got my NES hooked up…

And its worth noting that the controller changed to the “dogbone” controller with the Top Loader. Reaction is mixed as to whether or not it’s better than the original.

And the original Nintendos didn’t really break that often (mine’s got a huge hole through the top and works fine), and they’re really durable, but they’re so sensitive that it usually took a lot of cleaning to get the games to work, and that’s where the Top Loader shines. Top Loaders have a success rate similar to that of a SNES, which means that days of blowing at the contacts should be a thing of the past for Top Loader users.

I’ve also heard that Top Loaders don’t have a lock-out chip, so PAL games can play on them without a converter.

You never notice the graphical bars during gameplay.

Sure you can phase them out (just like I can ignore the dead pixels on my GBA, and I don’t notice them unless I’m paying attention), and it doesn’t interfere with gameplay, but that doesn’t mean they’re not there, and that’s enough to bug most people.

But even if you ignore the annoying lines, the lack of A/V ports is pretty inexcusable, and that too gives it a lesser picture quality than the original.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d prefer the Top Loader to the original, since the biggest problem with the NES was fixed, and the lack of a lock-out chip is nice, but just because it solved some problems doesn’t mean it didn’t introduce some other problems.

I agree. I’d much rather hook up my top loader through AV cables. At this point, it’s my only neo-classic system hooked up through an RF cable (the TurboGrafx is hooked up through stereo AV cables, as are the Genesis and SNES, the Saturn, N64, and Dreamcast are all plugged in S-Video, and the PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube are plugged in Component. The SMS and the PS1 aren’t plugged in since I can play their games in newer systems). The only other things on the RF plug-in are the Commodore and the Atari. If it weren’t for those three, I’d never use the tuner on my television (my cable box plugs in component, too, so I can get HD picture).

It’s a Mickey Mouse game, so you’d think it’d be easy.

No, that game is insanely difficult. It still kicks my ass. :bowser:

I never got past Level 3 of Mickey Mousecapades. =(

I still have my original NES. I call it Blinky. I’m the only one that can get it to work.

I would love to get me a top-loader though. Those things work first time, every time. They still fetch a nice price on eBay though. So you have to really want one.

I didn’t like the dogbone controller though.

It was The Max for me all the way.

You actually like the NES Max? Man, I thought that thing was the most awkward controller ever. Well, except for the Power Glove and U-Force, and other gimmick controllers, of course.

Then again, I spent most of my life playing with a NES Advantage (and holding it like a regular controller no less… like, I was pressing the A and B buttons with my right thumb (which made it impossible to press both at once), which anybody can tell you is not the optimal way to hold it… maybe that’s why I can handle the original XBox controller so well…), so what do I know?

Wasn’t the Max the one with the circular D-Pad in which you could never tell the difference between up, up-left and up-right?
I had a turbo controller for SNES that was exactly the same as the regular one except that it had little switches above each button that allowed you to set it to turbo. That one was really useful. :sunglasses:

Yeah. It was kinda boomerang shaped.

The d-pad thing didn’t bother me. The red thing in the middle is just a place to rest your thumb. I always pressed the directionals on the black outer ring. That turbo B button was a life saver in the Mega Man games though.

Nah, even with the turbo I never finished a Mega Man game. I am t3h sux0rs.

Thats another thing about NES games. They were always really challenging. They gave you your money’s worth.

Todays games you can rent and beat in a weekend! (Except the RPGs.)

I don’t recall what level I got to in that game, but,damn, it wasn’t far. I actually took the instuction book to Disney World with me and Mickey signed it.

I just went to a doctor’s appointment yesterday and there was an NES sitting in the waiting room. Just looking at it made me have a nostalgic high.

I used to have one of those “72 in 1” cartridges. Wreckng Crew, Milk ‘n’ Nuts, Mappy, Battle City…the list is endless. Oh the good times.

NES games are kind of more challenging, but a lot of that challenge is artificial, and comes as a result of lack of saves/continues/etc. But I’m at the point where I can beat most NES games in an hour or two, whether or not I’ve played them before. And actually, when I was little and I used to rent games, I’d almost always beat them by the time I was done.

Nowadays, even the absolute shortest games require you to put in a fairly serious time comittment, so it takes me a while to get through anything.

I really miss the old NES and SNES era,When I think about it,it just seems as if those days there wasn’t a care in the world for me(it also reminds me of some of the happiest times I ever had with my brother and grandpa),yup I really miss those days.

The only thing that was bad with the NES was that it’s only natural enemy could really kick it’s ass,I’m talking about dust.

I had a turbo controller for SNES that was exactly the same as the regular one except that it had little switches above each button that allowed you to set it to turbo. That one was really useful. :sunglasses:

Was it also a six button controler?I used to have a SNES controller that was turbo but was also had six buttons.