It's almost as if Sony don't want us to buy the PS3

See I think the whole “you’re getting a blu ray” justification thing to be utter shit. I don’t understand why they’re trying to get rid of DVDs right now. Its just a format being pushed onto the public and sony wants you to buy its player so it can start digging into the market - except there is none right now!! Thus getting a blu ray player is a waste of money as there is nothing to even make it worth using blu ray players. Remember when dvd players cost hundreds of dollars? And now they’re what, less than 100? Heh.

(almost certainly gonna be $50 or more due to blu-ray)

$50 is expensive for a game now? What the hell are you guys talking about? With the American dollar only worth $1.10 Canadian lately, $50 is ridiculously cheap, even in USD. I bought FF7 for $75 when it first came out on CD, and I still consider it the best gaming investment I’ve ever made, and you guys are complaining about a $50 blue ray game? FF6 on Cart was $100 when it came out.

If it was some shitty Madden game, then yeah, fuck paying $50 for it, but if we’re talking about the debut prices of the PS3’s gaming backbone, you’ve never had it cheaper. EVER. If it was something outrageously high (such as FFXIII, according to Sat) then yeah, get angry. Get very angry. But $50?

Even the PS3’s $600 price tag seems LOW to me. For some of you, it’s half a paycheck. Come ON now. Maybe Canadians are just less stingy when it comes to handing out money, but my friends who work in fast food, and have thousands of dollars of university debt on top of that, still plan on buying it the day it comes out. In Canadian dollars.

The more I read these forums the more I think you people just like bitching about nothing.

I thought I had heard that the agreed price for next-gen games will be $60.

Edit: Yeah seriously, stop bitching before I leave for another COOLER internet forum

Let’s go Lanyx!!! We don’t need this shit!!!

Half a pay-check? Who the hell here makes 1,200$ a week? :S

edit; Ramza & Hades, gb2/rl/

edit2; Since when was 50-60$ ever expensive? Pretty much all games (save bargain bin games) cost that much anyways, yet people don’t bitch about their “high costs”.s

SHIT!!!

Every two weeks. Some people here do have the kind of money. Some people don’t, but are still close. I’m not even close, but I still think $600 is cheap.

American must be different than Canada in the sense that people get paid weekly, not biweekly. :confused:

Meh, depends on the job too.

The more i read your posts the more i think you just feel the need to inflate your ego by never being on the popular side of an argument, regardless of what you might actually believe ;o

I get a similar feeling from something else.

Yeah, the price can be called normal. I was thinking of saying that dying of starvation in Africa is also normal, but for the sake of a less horrendously exaggerated metaphor, just check the second line in Sin’s sig.

It may be normal to have to pay a stupidly high price for a piece of hardware you not only do not want, but also possibly may never have a very frequent use. They are pushing their blu-ray shit on us when nobody actually wants the thing, making their price much higher with no solid basis beyond the fact that they want to make the format more popular.

There’s also the fact that while Sony certainly does have contracts with a bunch of people that to hardcore gamers, particularly RPG fans, represent a large chunk of the material they are hoping for, Sony’s arrogant behaviour alienates customers and developers so much that, in a situation where there are other options in which to develop, that exclusivity is bound to go down the drain.

In short, we’re are looking at a machine that believes it’s the ultimate shit and seeing that in fact, it’s really full of holes. Simply buying Sony hardware on release day is risky because of their wonderful quality testing; buying this thing on release day is a huge bet with really shitty odds.

And I’d like you to explain me just how the fuck is flushing an inordinate amount of cash for a machine that still has almost nothing concise to offer while having much more important real life debts a positive behaviour.

Of course people want blu-ray technology! Higher data transfer rate, maximum of 200gig per disc, it’s better than HD-DVD. The only reason why HD-DVD is still around 'cause Microshit is pushing it around like it’s fucking gold.

Wow you have no idea what you’re talking about :slight_smile: The layersize of a blu-ray disc is 25gb. HDDVD is the only high def format even on the market at the moment, there are no end-user purchasable Blu-Ray players. Also, why the fuck would anyone buy a Blu-Ray movie (because, thats what they’re designed for, high-def movie delivery), when they’ll also need to buy a new player, an HDTV and an HDMI cable (100+USD)?

Especially when most people are just fine with the picture quality of current DVD9 high-def. And if you’re implying blu-ray can be used for data storage, thats hilarious. If anything, blu-ray will end up being like data-tapes for storage, due to their colossal size and slow burn rate ;o

Also, i find it humorous that you think M$ is “pushing” HD-DVD. M$ isn’t even involved with HDDVD, outside of the fact they’re releasing an HDDVD addon for the 360. Toshiba and NEC created HDDVD, and they only did so because they are Sony’s main competitors for optical media and they need to make sure blu-ray doesn’t go to market unchallenged, thus putting them out of business. Jesus man, if anyone, you should be hating on Sony for cluttering the market with useless media formats (PCD, Minidisc, Memorystick, Beta, UMD, list goes on).

EDIT: i see what you mean by 200gb. however the only discs even available now are 25gb, and there are no players out at all. and considering they only get 200gb when using 8 layers, you could do the same thing with a 7 layer HDDVD.

Wikipedia motherfucker, do you use it?

edit;

Proof enough, see 100gb?

edit2; The only reason why the PS3 is 600$ (750$ canadian, taxes already included) is to get out of their debt.

editinfinity:

Dev, what the fuck are you saying? You can’t even have a 7 layer HDDVD disc. The theoretical limit is like 60gb.

Gimme my cartridges back.

Your thoughts are irrelevant, and the popular side of an argument isn’t determined by a bunch of geeks on forums. I’m siding with a giant faceless corporation. You’re the ones trying to look rebellious, not me.

I don’t need to explain that because I don’t agree with it. I never said it had nothing concise to offer, so you can shove that loaded question up your ass. I will say that $600 for half a decade of entertainment is better value than you’ll find on almost any other product on earth, and I don’t believe that’s inordinate.

Sony isn’t forcing you to buy the PS3. If you don’t want to pay for a PS3, don’t buy a PS3. That doesn’t mean the people who do aren’t getting what they pay for.

the main problem is fanboys pushing their opinions on others… I’ve always said that the best way to determine the console that best applies to oneself is to identify the needs and preferences. Myself, I like the franchises on the PS3 and thus why I will be buying one in the first place… Not because I particularly like the console but because the games coming out on it are what interest me. So what everybody needs to do is make up their own damn minds and stop saying that X360 is the best, Wii sucks, PS3 blows, Microshit, Wii 0MGZ R0X0RZ!!! and so on and so forth… what you want in a console should be your own decision and should not be based or determined or even influenced in any way by what other people say. If the majority of gamers could understand this, the gaming world would be a better place :slight_smile:

So stop listening to what other idiots have to say about “your” preferences and stick to what you like dammit!

You could say the same about the Wii, except it’s not half a decade, it’s pretty much a decade and a half. And for a fraction of the price, too.

You think the Wii will last 15 years? No console has ever lasted that long, ever. Why should I believe that the Wii wont be just another Virtual Boy?

The Wii covers 15 years of games.
The PS3 covers 5 years of games.