It's almost as if Sony don't want us to buy the PS3

The PS3 covers 15 years of PS games, plus many years of NES, SNES, and Arcade games on classic game discs. No one’s buying the consoles to play classic games.

What the fuck? The PS3 can’t play NES, SNES, other.

edit; Don’t get me wrong, I like Sony more than Nintendo. Hell, I hate the Wii. But I just can’t stand down knowing that a tremendous idiot like you is trying to argue your nonsensical point against an entire thread of honest discussion. Quit fagging shit up.

Yes it can. Thousands of games from the classic consoles have been released as $20 bargain bin hundreds-of-games-per-disc shit. If it has backwards compaitibility to PSX, it can play thousands of games stretching back into the 80s.

The point still stands though. No one is going to buy a Wii for the classics. They want new material, not shit that’s already been emulated.

Setz, honestly, you’re like my friends who think we evolved from apes. You don’t know fuck all about the topic, you just make retarded presumptions and pretend they’re common sense. Get the fuck out of here.

Are you retarded or something? Don’t go preaching your non-evolution bullshit here.

I bet 90% of people who will buy the Wii solely for it’s backwards compatability. The Wii doesn’t have any huge titles, and won’t have any huge titles on it.

LMAO!!! Point made.

Descent from the ape family is the most non-retarded theory we have :confused:

And people will buy the Wii for its awesome party games. I can see like a billion more Mario Parties, Mario Karts, and Mario games in general being made for it. Not to mention SSBB.

Edit: and maybe a Tales game woooooooooooooo

I know, but you have to understand that humans and apes evolved from a common ancestor, humans didn’t evolve from apes, in order to understand just how retarded Setz’ comment was. But anyway, I think this conversation is over.

You will join me for luncheon and tea then, guv’nur?

I’d just like to throw in with the discussion about weekly and biweekly wages.

Here in Sweden it’s only monthly wages, and to up the fun, almost everyone gets paid on the same day.

Every 25th each month is pretty interesting. Oi.

<center>

Why am I suddenly hearing Magnus Uggla (swedish singer) in my head? :stuck_out_tongue:

And on a related topic:
600 dollars?! Fuck you Sony! Since I’m currently unemployed that’s more than I get for a MONTH! <I>Before rent</I>. And if I do get a job soon it will probably equal HALF my MONTHLY salary or so. Also before rent.
The Final Fantasy will probably be awesome, but if I have to save for a few months just to buy the console… Forget it.

SSBB will also be awesome (as far as I can tell). And I know me and my friends will have more fun with that than I would ever have with any of the PS3 games. For a reasonable price too.
I don’t care if it won’t be released immedeatly either. That just means that it will be as awesome as they can make it, and that I might even get a Wii a bit cheaper than if I pre-order it or something.

I love my games, but I still need food and a place to live. I hope Sony realizes this quite soon, since I was actually planning to get a PS3. :confused:

ARGH

It may also be just that we, uhm, how do you say it, disagree? Not everyone who complains about what a corporation does is trying to look like a half assed rebel you know, some just don’t like certain business practices that may eventually have an effect on them.

Ok, let’s pretend that this machine will absolutely 100% sure mantain half a decade of exclusive high-quality titles. Let me repeat the actual point of this thread:

SIX HUNDRED FUCKING DOLLARS

Even if developers can sustain five more years of Sony’s bullshit management and conserve exclusivity, even if the machine does not become an overprized paperweight, even if the games are so awesome that they would make the price worth it, the point is that it could cost less. When you consider the hardware included, the price doesn’t seem so exorbitant, but Sony still fails to give a good explanation as to why they had to build the machine that way when it’s competitors could arrive at much lower figures.

Out of the three machines, the PS3 has most of the developers I’m interested in. Personally, I’m pissed off because the bullshit price means I will not be able to get it until it drops once or twice, considering that it will cost around a lovely 3K when it hits my land. This isn’t about Sony forcing us to get a PS3, on the contrary, it’s about Sony not letting us get a PS3.

Atari Anthology contains pong. Atari Anthology is available on PS2. Atari Anthology is therefore (probably) playable on Ps3. Ergo the PS3 has a 34-year history of games.

Atari Anthology is also available on Xbox, and is on the backward-compatability list for Xbox 360. Ergo, the 360 has a 34-year history of games. :-p

And just a wee bit of conversion for those of you not blessed with X-rates.com- most of the non-US pricings (599 euros, 425 GBP etc.) comes out at around US$775. The only console ever to launch at anywhere near that price was the 3DO. We all know what happened there.

Fixed it.

I was under the impression the PS3 didn’t play PSX games. :confused:

It may also be just that we, uhm, how do you say it, disagree? Not everyone who complains about what a corporation does is trying to look like a half assed rebel you know, some just don’t like certain business practices that may eventually have an effect on them.
I didn’t say everyone who complains about what a corporation does is trying to look like a half assed rebel. I said the people in this thread are. Once again, you’re knocking down arguments that aren’t even there, and doing it with false analogies.

Even if developers can sustain five more years of Sony’s bullshit management and conserve exclusivity, even if the machine does not become an overprized paperweight, even if the games are so awesome that they would make the price worth it, the point is that it could cost less. When you consider the hardware included, the price doesn’t seem so exorbitant, but Sony still fails to give a good explanation as to why they had to build the machine that way when it’s competitors could arrive at much lower figures.
I’ll give you an explanation: (cost per unit)(number of units sold) - (expenses) = profit. Sony’s goal is to maximize profit. As the price increases, the number of people who buy it will decrease. Six hundred dollars is the optimum price such that the most people will buy it for the highest price possible and hence Sony will make the most money possible. Their goal isn’t to deliver a PS3 into your hands specifically. Their goal is to make as many people happy as they can while fishing in as much money as they can because their employees need to feed their families. If six hundred dollars wasn’t a reasonable price both to Sony and to consumers in general, the PS3 would not cost six hundred dollars.

Out of the three machines, the PS3 has most of the developers I’m interested in. Personally, I’m pissed off because the bullshit price means I will not be able to get it until it drops once or twice, considering that it will cost around a lovely 3K when it hits my land. This isn’t about Sony forcing us to get a PS3, on the contrary, it’s about Sony not letting us get a PS3.
Sony’s not responsible for exchange rates and markup. You’re pointing your finger at the wrong organization, not that pointing will help no matter who it’s at.

lol Hades, I r caling u stooooopid! STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPIDY HADES!

PS: They can’t actually determine that until after sales start. They can make an estimate, certainly, but the elasticity (sorry, I honestly can’t think of another word to describe this, brain dead) will not always be the same and, as price rises, so too will the elasticity. Though they might think they will get away with this, it might well be unjustified arrogance on their part.

You are either missing the point, or just playing dumb. Let me make it clear: Just what the hell kinda reason do you have to collectively call people in this thread rebels? Is there some actual reason for the insult or you just felt like it? Do you think that refusing to stand for a certain business practice that does not seem reasonable is wrong? We are generally stating discomfort with Sony’s business practices and some of us refusing to buy from them. Is that wrong? Do you seen anyone clamouring for a violent boycott? Do you seen any fanboyish fanatic comments refusing to buy from Sony solely because they are Sony? Do you see anyone doing anything but reacting like common discontent clients?

Wonderful. This is, of course, assuming that enough people will buy the system to make up for all those who will not. Catering exclusively to hardcores, the only ones willing to shell out six hundred for this thing, is a really shitty idea because the reality is, comparatively, there’s not so many of us. As has previously been mentioned, these consoles need to be sold massively in order to profit, and the “mass” is largely made of casual gamers that, not caring about exclusivity or simply not willing to pay so much, will buy the Wii or the 360 instead. And that’s without even taking in consideration that many hardcore gamers may not be willing to pay for this thing until it drops, a situation for which you can find examples in this very thread.

There’s also another very important factor: The price isn’t a compensation for sales. The price is there because the machine is really expensive to build in the first place because of their choice in hardware, as has been mentioned like five hundred times here. The machine is very expensive to make, therefore, it’s expensive to buy.

If the Cost per Unit and Expenses are relatively even, like they are in basically any hardware if there is competition, the saving point is the Number of Units Sold. And as you just said, The NoUS is not likely to be massive because of the price and the existence of alternatives.

Therefore, your explanation is useless.

No, Sony is responsible for the initial $600 price. I understand my market’s conversion rates and so the one thousand bucks I paid for the PS2 made perfect sense. The Wii should reasonably clock it at around $1500, another price I’m willing to withstand. I could save for six or so months and take the stretch for the $2500 the 360 costs if I were truly interested. $3000 is just over the limit.

And I should mention, my numbers aren’t like in the Yen. One thousand is to me the same or even more than it is to you.

<a href=“http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=rebel”>http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=rebel</a>
Because they are. The only reason I pointed it out is because someone hypocritically called me one.

Is there some actual reason for the insult or you just felt like it? Do you think that refusing to stand for a certain business practice that does not seem reasonable is wrong? We are generally stating discomfort with Sony’s business practices and some of us refusing to buy from them. Is that wrong? Do you seen anyone clamouring for a violent boycott? Do you seen any fanboyish fanatic comments refusing to buy from Sony solely because they are Sony? Do you see anyone doing anything but reacting like common discontent clients?
Yes. No. No, but in this case it doesn’t make sense to do it. No. Irrelevant. Sadly, no. Any more redundant questions for me to pick off?

Wonderful. This is, of course, assuming that enough people will buy the system to make up for all those who will not. Catering exclusively to hardcores, the only ones willing to shell out six hundred for this thing, is a really shitty idea because the reality is, comparatively, there’s not so many of us. As has previously been mentioned, these consoles need to be sold massively in order to profit, and the “mass” is largely made of casual gamers that, not caring about exclusivity or simply not willing to pay so much, will buy the Wii or the 360 instead. And that’s without even taking in consideration that many hardcore gamers may not be willing to pay for this thing until it drops, a situation for which you can find examples in this very thread.
The balancing has already been taken care of by Sony. They’re not stupid. Their market research teams have more resources than you can imagine. This is simply a case of them being right and you being wrong. I don’t know what else to say, other than that your envy-driven wish that Sony will crash and burn is the most childish thing I’ve seen in a while.

There’s also another very important factor: The price isn’t a compensation for sales. The price is there because the machine is really expensive to build in the first place because of their choice in hardware, as has been mentioned like five hundred times here. The machine is very expensive to make, therefore, it’s expensive to buy.
And yet according to you the price is still unreasonable. What do you want sony to do? Give away PS3s for less than it takes to produce them? Not every corporation is a Microsoft. If you want Sony quality games and hardware but you don’t want to pay Sony prices, maybe you should get a new hobby or a weaker, less versatile console like the Wii.

If the Cost per Unit and Expenses are relatively even, like they are in basically any hardware if there is competition, the saving point is the Number of Units Sold.
According to who? You?

And as you just said, The NoUS is not likely to be massive because of the price and the existence of alternatives.
I didn’t say that. Don’t put words into my mouth. I’ll repeat what I did say: Sony’s done it’s research. You haven’t. The 360 debuted at astronomically high prices and sold out within minutes. You have no grasp on what people will and will not pay for a good console. You underestimate consumers.

No, Sony is responsible for the initial $600 price. I understand my market’s conversion rates and so the one thousand bucks I paid for the PS2 made perfect sense. The Wii should reasonably clock it at around $1500, another price I’m willing to withstand. I could save for six or so months and take the stretch for the $2500 the 360 costs if I were truly interested. $3000 is just over the limit.

And I should mention, my numbers aren’t like in the Yen. One thousand is to me the same or even more than it is to you.
If you have to pay three thousand american dollars (which are roughly equal now to Canadian) for a PS3, you are absolutely beyond the shadow of a doubt pointing your finger at the wrong people. Move the fuck out of that country.