It's almost as if Sony don't want us to buy the PS3

After checking if the PS3 did have parental controls, I discovered I was incorrect. :confused:

Half Life 2, F.E.A.R. 2, and Fear Effect 3 will be on PS3. \o/

…just looking at a quick list of games for the Wii, I am TOTALLY getting it. There are a shitton of games I want coming out for it. Hot damn that’s good.

EdiT: As for DVD, music capabilities: You have a computer. That does those too, only, better. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sitting on a chair < sitting wherever the fuck you want.

Oh, there’s no doubt in my mind that if I wanted to buy a system, it’d be the PS3 (FF13 and MGS4, as has been said). But the enjoyment I’d get out of those games simply isn’t worth the price tag.
I don’t really want a Wii because I like to use video games to relax. Mashing buttons is physical enough for me. -_-

Then get a DVD player and an IPod. Both of those combined cost less than a PS3

Shit man, how much money do you have to pay for simple convenience? Just grab a few $10 bills and make a beanbag out of them if it’s that much hassle.

…yeah. Gotta disagree on the whole chair thing. I mean, when I sit, I sit on a chair. That’s what they’re there for.

Urgh. I want a PS3 mainly for the promise of backward compability, half reason for THAT being that I promised a good friend she’d get to buy my PS2 when I got a PS3. But now, cripes. What’s that crap about limited backwards compability? And what was that about memory card slots?

And damn straight I’m waiting for a price reduction. That’s just bleedin’ insane.

Bah, just wrote long arguement on why PS3 sucks but heres the shorthand version
Price
Crappy Launch Software
Loss of Rumble Feature on Controller. MGS and Resident Evil made good use of it
PS3 is a nightmare to develop. 3 Years min before the hardware is being fully used.
Console Still Not finished. Struggling to fit all the bits in. Might lead to loss of Ps2/1 software working, or case change.
Blu-ray discs cost more than DVDs so games cost more to produce leading to higher cost of game.

Think thats it :slight_smile:

MS should pay a lot of money to Get FF13 and MGS on 360/Vista as well. Certainly would help prevent a lot of PS3 sales.

Considering the hardware that goes into every PS3 i’m surprised the price isn’t higher… and besides i’m even more surprised that people didn’t see this coming. It could have been seen from a mile away that PS3 was going to be pricey. Also, i’m with SG, FFXIII and MGS4 are enough incentive… not to mention assassin’s creed and rainbow six vegas. But then again my personal plan was always to buy the PS3 when it came out (no matter what the price) and eventually a Wii for Smash Brothers Brawl.

EDIT: Wow IanBassy, I could swear (by looking at your join date) that you joined just for this thread… bravo claps rolls eyes

I seem to be panicking/infuriating a lot of people here so I’ve grabbed a load of details off wikipedia that, erm, just support my arguments.

I like the way they justify the use of the blu-ray drive when about 15 people worldwide care about having a blu-ray drive, but never mind.

And how the limited backwards-compatibility isn’t Sony’s fault. :-p

People did see it coming. They’ve been speculating a 600 dollar price tag since the last E3.

I can easily wait for a price drop or two for the PS3. I don’t know of many games coming out for it exclusively that I want other than Final Fantasy 13, and that’s not worth that much to me. The other thing that doesn’t get to me but sort of does is the Blu-Ray; there still isn’t consensus on a next-generation DVD format, and what if HD-DVD comes out on top? Will that end up being like Beta and VHS? I don’t know too much about, but I’m just saying… The Blu-Ray is a large part of the justification for a higher price, and if that ends up being a wash it’ll suck a bit.

I’d like to have a PS3 someday, but we’ll see.

PS2 being launched at 300USD was alot of money, but was justified because it came with a capable DVD player. So you were buying the newest game system, and a player for the next generation of media, thus the price was way easier to stomach. Back then, 300 alone would’ve gotten you a DVD player. Sony is betting on the same approach with the PS3, but 600USD for a system alone is stupid this time around because:

> It is incredibly higher than any of its competitors
> Blu-Ray is NOT the definite next-gen media by any stretch of the imagination, unlike DVD in '99

I personally won’t get a PS3 because its the herald of the DRM age. Single play movies and games, with HDCP cert? Hell no.

Really? Because in the years this function has existed, in the N64, PS1 and PS2, not even once was it anything but an annoying buzz. It’s not “rumbling”, it’s “vibration”, not exactly the kind of thing that gives you a scare or gets you nervous. The best it ever did was make me uncomfortable, especially when I had to explain to my mother that what I was holding was most definitely not a weird shaped dildo, despite what it might have looked like.

I always turn the vibration off, it annoys the hell out of me.

… waiting for that to appear in a sig out of context… 3… 2…

I can’t justify, in my mind, spending $600 on $120 worth of games (since games are estimated to be $60/per). Oh wait. FF13 will cost $180 on its own. So, I guess what I’m saying is that I can’t justify spending $840 for a system and two games. Oh wait. Kojima will probably make a substance/subsistance version of MGS4. That brings me up to an even $900. Oh, and I’ll want a second controller, for if I play any older games on the system. Based on Sony’s price scheme, that brings me up to $925, or more if they say the gyro controller really costs that much. So, I’m spending $75 shy of $1,000 for a system and two games. Thanks, but no thanks, Sony. I’ll wait for price drops. This’ll be the first new system that I haven’t bought on day 1 since Saturn (since Sega released the system 5 months early and didn’t bother to tell anyone… -_-).

I own an X360, I’ll buy a Wii at launch… PS3 I’ll buy when it dips around $300… if there are even any exclusive games left on the system by then.

What? Really?

Also, you have to remember that even if you, the hardcore gamer, can justify paying far beyond 600USD to <i>play video games</i> (even though it seems most of us can’t), you’re in the minority. Most people cannot do that. And the majority of sales of a videogame console are not to hardcore players, they’re to idiots who pick up a system just to play Madden a few times. So if the PS3’s price point is so high that it alienates these people, the people who drive sales of a system, what reason is there for a game producer to make his game a PS3 exclusive? All it does it cut into his profits, as there are less people to buy his game. Just because MGS4 and whatever else will be a PS3 exclusive on day one doesn’t mean such big-ticket games will continue to be only on PS3, especially if the userbase remains made up of only those people who can drop ~600USD on videogames.

Wait, what? FF13 will be 180$?

The limited backwards compatibility is just crap. The fact that you have to pay more to get a model with memory cards that use ps1 and ps2 type-models is just crap. The fact that MSG4 and FFXIII is on it is just awesome. As Far as I see it, I am going to get a Wii and a PS3. After I can Compare them first hand. I will tell you what I think, and sell the other console on E-bay.