Hey the world cup is starting today, where is hades vuvuzhela

…In line with Hades’s apparently wild football predictions (I would have no idea, in any case), is it funny to anyone else to look back at that thread, knowing that FF13 sucked the cock’s dong?

It did. Have you tried its sequels though?

It is glorious. Him and Setz. Those were the awful, awesome days.

This thread is now about searching out the best, most peak hades posts ever. Here’s a quick link for those of you too lazy to do it your damn selves. ONE QUOTE PER POST DON’T HOT EM ALL EVEN THOUGH THERE’S PLENTY TO GO AROUND!

http://agora.rpgclassics.com/search.php?searchid=761000

Hades does not only have opinions about soccer…

Crosby is the most overrated player I’ve ever seen in any sport, often called the best in the NHL even though I don’t even consider him top 3 on his team (on account of the fact that he struggles to maintain a break-even plus/minus in spite of dominating the point leaderboard every year), and almost ALL of the Pens’ success so far has been the result of OUTRAGEOUS fluking and critical non-calls and ghost-calls. And shit, you know if there’s one thing I hate, it’s undue praise. It seems like the whole country is riding Crosby’s mediocre cock sometimes, and it’s just such a breath of fresh air to see him totally shut down and his team trounced by an 8th seed. There’s just something SO sweet about seeing this motherfucker exposed.

I did! I played the second one the whole way through. By the end some of the areas felt like a chore. Some of them are featured in a number of the time periods so you play them over and over while they’re practically the same. One in particular was really hard to navigate (I feel like it was called the Academy or something, it was one of the last places) the first time through because you arrive in the future, after the city is destroyed. But few areas were as radically different from time to time. The story is also pretty fucking confusing. The antagonist is classic Final Fantasy evil-cuz-evil, and the male lead of the heroic duo is also classic final fantasy hero-cuz-hero. Few reasons for either. That battle system though! Fucking loved it, and the silly little pokemon style monster helper thing is actually pretty cool.

Anyway, I sure am glad nobody ever digs up some of the wacky shit I used to say.

I’m just going to leave that there.

I have played a bit of 13-2, cos my girlfriend at the time had it on her PS3. What I remember is that, like Sorcerer, I felt like the story was cuckoo-fucking-bananas (which, given the presentation of the first game, I wasn’t surprised). Also, the stupid cute-as-fuck Moogle character really killed the mood of like, every conversation where it had any dialogue.

But, I remember the gameplay being good…better than the original’s, at least. I liked the way that bosses gradually lowered your max HP, so you had to have a decisive strategy, rather than a ridiculous, attrition-based strategy (i.e pick all 3 medics and poison the last boss to death in FF13). I picked it up used, so I could try playing it again, but I haven’t got around to it yet. I have a feeling I won’t like the story at all, and I bet it’ll be the same if I play Lightning Returns…but, the music of FF13 keeps me somehow interested in trudging through them. Big fucking surprise coming from me, right?

Indeed from a game play perspective, 13-2 is an improvement. Despite still sticking to the linear-area formula, the areas are more explorable (kind of one dimensional too, most of the areas don’t really work vertically and are instead sprawled across a landscape. The ones that did go up and down, though, were the best areas) as in they had more to find and look for. Can’t express how much the battle system impresses me, it’s so much fun.

But I think the biggest problem with these games is that they don’t instill us with empathy for the characters. I don’t really care about them and their struggles. The main characters objective, to find her older sister, is something people can understand. But there are two big problems with these games - the lack of exposition on certain characters leaves them mysterious, and the silly names they use for stuff. But that word, mysterious, is too forgiving as it implies some kind of intrigue. Without that back story and knowledge of our antagonist or any greater exploration into the ambitions of the heroes, we’re left with what feels like an incomplete picture. Combine this with the fact that the whole series is cloaked in strange terminology that lacks contextual understanding (fal’cie and le’cie come to mind - we can’t look at those words and instantly understand what they mean), we spend just as much time scratching our heads as we do playing. This all results in a game that people play while not being invested in any outcome besides completion, which culminates in a pretty uneventful experience. We find ourselves doing little more than “go there, do that” simply because the game doesn’t lend itself to being understandable at a glance. Compare this to the Lufia series, in which the opening game, The Fortress of Doom, we are introduced to the “Sinistrals” - an imposing word that means more than just “bad” or “evil”, and generates complex ideas about our enemy. For a classical example I point to Shakespeare - who would often use etymology to name his characters. In Romeo and Juliet Benvolio, Romeo’s older brother, is the good natured benevolent one. He thinks about his actions and their consequences, or Mercurtio, the fleeting mercurial guy. I think you guys get my drift.

tl;dr FF13 series is hard to get into because they use dumb words. I think the second one is worth a glance though.

That’s pretty much exactly right, and it’s also why I think it’s easier for me to rationalize the FF13 games as dungeon crawlers - the story is a flimsy excuse for you to go spelunking and kill things. Just, in FF13, it’s not flimsy so much as it is extremely convoluted. I read a story synopsis of FF13 once, a year or two after I played it, and I remember reading certain parts of it and thinking, “Was I aware of that even happening when I played it? Did I know this information?” It was kind of silly.

Everyone should just play Child of Light.

I heard it was very easy and that the poetry was horrendous. If the entire game is narrated in “It’s poetry as long as it rhymes” format, I think I might kill myself before I got to the end.

EDIT: Sorry - the correct term is probably “It’s poetry as long as it rhymes” meter.

I don’t think the constant “Paradox. Paradox. Something something, it must be a Paradox!” helped make XIII-2 any less impenitrable. Even it’s predecessor, Anime Logan’s Run, was better than that.

The game is pretty easy. It has a simpler form of the Grandia battle system. In my two-playthroughs (regular and NG+), I only had one character die once, and that was because I wasn’t paying attention and didn’t know the boss had an attack it did. The rhyming definitely does not subscribe to any standard meter, but it’s trying to mimic children’s book rhyming instead of anything like Shakespeare or Poe or whomever.

I don’t know what systems you have, but there’s likely a demo to try. I know there was for PS3, and I gave that a shot first. You can always just give that a go. I think what I liked so much about the game was its child’s fairytale story, graphics, and music. The battle system was fun albeit easy.

I’ll see if there’s a demo for the Wii U; I don’t have a PS3, and I’m not subscribed to XBox Live Gold at the moment.

There’s also a demo on Steam, but I do not know the computer specs requirements (but I can’t imagine it would require much).

Hey guys…nerds…take your games discussion to the NERD STORE where it belongs. This is about FUTBOL!!!

I nearly choked to death on a chicken wing when Portugal scored that last goal. My friend had to give me the heimlich manuever (actually I think he just wanted to pork me in the bung hole, but that’s a different story)

Thank you, thank you. Any voluntary donations you’d like to make will go towards ensuring FIFA’s reputation continues rivalling the IOC.

For reference, before 2004 Greece had been in one World Cup and one Euro and since then they won EU 2004, barely missed qualifying for WC2006, qualified for EU2008, qualified for WC2010 winning for the first time, reached the QF of EU 2012 and qualified for this WC. So they were focused on results at first although supporters mostly want them to try to play more creatively - there will be a new coach, so let’s see. The timing is also bad since the main striker of the team, who had 20 goals in 21 appearances in three months, got injured, his substitute, who scored 13 goals this season, is out of rhythm and the main attacking midfielder got benched in the second half of the season for not renewing with Celtic and is out of rhythm. In other words the team could be relatively better and we wish they were too.

Suarez should be banned from FIFA competitions for life.

I agree, that was spectacular. You can see the teeth marks in the Italian’s skin.

Seriously, biting? Even if you didn’t give a fuck and just wanted to hurt the other guy, why biting? And it seems like the guy has a history of it.