Help zeppelin: Chinese Internet Dating

Unfortunately, thou art too late for #3. She has been disqualified. if you’d like to meet her, perhaps I can introduce you. As for your first question…well, I don’t like to generalize, but basically, yes it is that easy. This doesn’t mean you can have ANY girl. A lot of Chinese guys find it amusing that Western guys come over and date the ugliest Chinese girls around. This thread kind of proves the point. #4 seemed by far the most popular, however I’m quite sure she would not be popular with the Chinese crowd. As for the romance novels…well I don’t think I said that. There definitely are some. There’s a pretty popular TV show with a romance between a Western guy and Chinese girl, but it’s not central to the plot. But for the most part, any American schlub will likely find China akin to being at Old Country Buffet, but the rest of the patrons aren’t eating anything, so you have the entire buffet to yourself.

I just meant in the context of this thread, that I didn’t want to make the decision by myself. I think it’s pretty clear by the fact I’m lining up women on the Internet to choose from that’s it’s pretty much all about me. I guess I should probably start thinking a little more about her.

Interesting claim. Are you saying unattractive asian girls mainly direct themselves towards stupid foreigners because they’re outcompeted by the pretty ones? Are the pretty ones less interested than the less pretty ones? How sexually conservative are they, relative to one another?

After seeing 5’s extra photographs, I say go for 5. Christ almighty go for five.

Five.

V.

Do it to it.

Here ya go, this is from the ‘ticking time bomb’ thread.

My favorite line in this whole article is the 15 year old girl who already “dreams of marrying a foreigner”, not for money, but for lifestyle. China’s environment is competitive beyond belief. Friends betray each other to get ahead, relationships are made not on love but on mutual benefit. Young boys and girls read Japanese romance novels and watch Korean soap operas, dreaming of a type of love they can only imagine happening with a “foreigner.” Chinese people, she thinks, are too cunning and practical. As a male foreigner in China, I obviously see this on a very personal level. I’m not bragging when I say that I could literally get 5 or 10 dates in the next 2 minutes if I just casually mention to some of my female coworkers that I’m “looking for a nice girl.” It can be hard not to exploit such a position, I will admit. I’m not saying every girl in China is “begging for a foreigner”, but supply and demand economics are quite clear on the issue. There are far more girls here willing to entertain the prospect of dating a foreigner than there are potential foreign candidates.

http://agora.rpgclassics.com/showthread.php?t=30487

To be fair, I slightly misinterpreted what you said; it looks like you were saying most girls think the type of romance they read in novels can only happen with a foreigner, not that those novels actually depict romance with foreigners. But the gist of what you said is still pretty much the same.

I think I’ll pass on meeting #3 :stuck_out_tongue: I’m inexperienced enough as it is with regular American girls, let alone having the wherewithal to deal with a Chinese peasant girl. Besides, there is little chance I will be going to China anytime soon :stuck_out_tongue:

Sin: The gist I get is that Chinese girls are more obsessed with financial status than Western ones, and they perceive Western men as being of higher status. So theoretically a pretty Chinese girl would go for a Western guy since she would think he had more money and was more powerful than most chinese guys since he was a Westerner. Which may or may not be true, I dunno what the average young 20-something Western expatriot in China is like. Its ironic, since I’d bet a fair number of them go over there to get away from American society. Only to meet hordes of Chinese girls who want a ticket to America.

Another irony I see is that the reality of Chinese culture seems to be so different than the Western perception of it. Westerners, especially young Westerners, seem to see Chinese culture and other Eastern Asian countries as being more ‘spiritual’, tolerant, and culturally deeper than the West. Yet from what Zeppelin says, it seems China is really like the worst aspects of capitilism on steroids.

this seems like it would result in a lot of sensitive, anime-watching, basically dorky young Western guys(and some girls, I guess) going over there because they think its a society more fitted to their personality, only to find that they get stuck in a ruthless, results-oriented society. Not to stereotype or anything :stuck_out_tongue: Anyway, ultimately you can’t just fit all the expats into one mold I guess.

And a more superficial one in some ways… for instance, I’ve read that a real problem is that African-Americans, Indian-Americans, and Chinese-Americans have trouble getting jobs as ESL tutors because Chinese are likely to see a blonde-haired, blue-eyed American as being more authentic and competent.

Anyway, if this is all bullshit, go easy on me zeppelin :stuck_out_tongue:

Tagore’s poetry would probably remind you of Khalil Gibran or Rumi (better than the first, worse than the second, imo). He can be “inspirational” to an extreme point, but as he was active in so many fields it’s kinda hard not to like him. I’m more intrigued by his as they borrow many motives from folk stories.

Am I the only one who, instead of finding cutesy pictures endearing, finds them irritating for the level of intentionality clearly present? Also? Harry Potter? Please. Hermione as a strong girl? More like a stock character. The man should always pay? Doesn’t drink? 5 is the worst choice right now, if you ask me. She seems to be an unpleasant kind of overgrown child.

1 is just good old-fashioned arrogant, and is still rather mysterious. 4 has at least clearly displayed a brain, which five seems not to have, and one hasn’t yet revealed.

1 or 4. Five reminds me of every girl I would never want to date from high school, but worse.

I take back my recommendation for 5. I’m not saying it would be a problem for you, but that one line alone reeks with the foul stench of a thousand false senses of entitlement. Save yourself from this bitch. She’s hot, but probably not worth the bullshit.

In fact, the more you post about these girls, the worse every single one of them looks. This is about damage reduction now, isn’t it? :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh, I didn’t read that line about the man obviously paying for dinner. I don’t know how common that is in China, though.

I guess I’m just old fashioned when I agree with her and see nothing wrong with her expecting the guy to pay. It’s a conservative society, and she comes from what I imagine is an even more conservative portion of it. To expect a different attitude is ludicrous. Notice in his description of #1, Zepp said hardly any young Chinese female pays for a date.

You’re not old-fashioned - I thought you styled yourself a Southern gentleman!

So, in China, which ones WOULD be the pretty ones then? Now I’m curious about the difference in aesthetics.

Being common doesn’t make it aight :stuck_out_tongue: Although I guess if you’re the kind of guy who needs to have his wealth justified, there’s nothing wrong with dating a girl who’s impressed by money. Zepp doesn’t seem to give a shit about things like that though.

But then again, he doesn’t seem to give a shit about a single girl on this list anyway, so my advice is probably void :stuck_out_tongue:

Its an exchange of goods and services. Zep pays money for food, she makes breakfast the next day. If I were Zep, I’d only care if the girl didn’t fill out her end of the bargain. Dating is nothing more than ritualized foreplay.

It doesn’t seem like that’s what she meant though. I know it’s hard to make predictions based on a line copied from a shitty generic profile online, but I’m getting some raging gold-digger vibes from her descriptions.

Edit: Maybe it’s just that I have no interest in formal “dating” and think relationships should be played mostly by ear. Following a ritual at the expense of the integrity of the relationship seems completely retarded to me :stuck_out_tongue:

But like you said, it’s up to him to decide what he wants and what he’s willing to trade for it. He never did say much about his motives.

Hades never had a steady girlfriend you heard it here folks.

Your idea of a girlfriend isn’t the kind of whore I’d waste my time on, but keep being a presumptuous douchebag, it brings life to the Agora when the mods are also the biggest trolls. I can’t imagine anyone wanting this place to change :slight_smile:

hades sucks girl penis

Thanks for helping maintain the status quo Ramza.

Just to make a couple things straight here. I think both Sin and Hades are a bit off the mark here, so hopefully this can set everyone straight and we can get back to making amusing judgements about girls based off their pictures and a few words in a public profile.

1. The point of dating is to meet people and have fun. Simple as that. I’m not specifically looking for a one night stand, nor am I specifically looking for something long term. To use Hades’ terms, I’m pretty much just playing it by ear.

2. Sadly, I’m going to take Hades’ words and say I’d prefer to play it by ear. But like anything else, you do want to try to pick the person who you think is most compatible with you. If a girl is strictly a “no sex until marriage” type of girl, I’m going to have to pass, regardless of my feelings for her. I view sex as an integral part of a relationship, but it doesn’t have to be on the first date. Not that I’m going to complain if that’s the way it happens. I was being a bit facetious anyway with my description of number 1. In my opinion, not a single girl on this list would even likely consider a one night stand.

3. Regarding the paying on the date thing. It’s reasonable to think that a girl would absolutely insist on the guy paying for the date. All this really means is she thinks the first date, or even most dates, should be paid for by the guy. It’s not because she wants a rich guy. First of all, it’s just a tradition in China, and let’s be fair. A fair portion of American girls would be turned off if a guy didn’t pay for the first date either. Second of all, if you think income disparity is bad in America, you have no idea how bad it is in China. Women make a tiny, tiny fraction of the amount of money that guys make. Even if you made some strict economic rule that each person paid the amount they could afford in the relationship, the guys would still pay most of the time. That being said…taking girl #5 as an example, I can pretty much guarantee that if we hit it off, she would take me out on her own dime at some point. Regardless of who I pick, I’m going to be paying for the date.

To answer a few questions:

I’d say #2 would probably be considered the most attractive. She is petite, fashionable, fair-skinned…Chinese guys like this kind of stuff. They seem to dig the more materialistic girls. Chinese dating isn’t very creative, and usually just involves the guy giving the girl some money so she can go shopping or karaokeing or something. Of course, China has like 700 million males, and I’m sure you could find some who prefer each one on the list. I’d put my money on #2 though.

No no no, certainly not. I’m saying the opposite, that the Western guys themselves tend to have different ideas of beauty and tend to be more attracted to different types of girls. There is a bit of a stereotype in China, however, that less attractive girls tend to be more studious and hard-working. A beautiful girl in China can quite easily leverage her beauty to get guys to buy her stuff, even sometimes pay for her entire life (rent and food and everything). It’s not that uncommon really. Less attractive girls will tend to get more education, work hard to climb the ladder, etc. I’m not sure how true it is, but there might be a hint of truth behind the stereotype. And when you think about it, where do most of us Westerners who come to China end up? Well, there are many university students. Thus they are likely to meet well-educated women. Many come to teach English. The only people who would study English with a foreigner are those who could afford it, or those who feel they must learn English for their career. It can be 10X more expensive to study with a native speaker than with a Chinese teacher. And finally, business. People in business are obviously most likely to interact with other status climbers and hard workers. So we do meet only a small cross-section of the entire Chinese population, and that cross section is also unlikely to comingle with the common or uneducated classes as well.

It’s obviously impossible to generalize too much in a county with nearly 1.4 billion people. There are some girls who have strict “whites only” policies. I dated one before for over a year until she got tired and realized I wasn’t going to give her a green card, so she found some other schlub and is living peacefully in North Carolina now. These kinds of girls are very few and far between though. Like I said in an earlier post, while there are many girls who would certainly entertain the idea of dating a Westerner, most of them would never have the opportunity anyway, given that there aren’t really that many of us here.

This is kind of a retarded way to say it, but it does sort of sum up a problem I have. I tend to start off completely infatuated with a certain girl, but as time goes along, the less I seem to like her. I’m not sure if it’s because I made the wrong choice in the first place, or if it’s just some fault of my own personality that makes me tired of things quickly. I’d still enjoy taking any of these lovely young ladies out, no need to worry about that.