Fantasy Baseball

How does this thing work?

Spicifically…

Is there a set amount of money you have that you can buy the players with (so that you can’t have all the best players)?

Are there more than one of each player? (EX: I have Nomar on my team, and so does someone else in my league, or is it only one copy so Nomar never plays Nomar (like in real life)?)

And other ideas into how this works would be great. Also, how games are played. Sorry if this sounds dumb, but I’m new to actually getting involved with fantasy baseball.

Thanks!

30 minutes before the draft begins, all the league players are given a draft spot. We all have certain amounts of spots on our team for players, and during the draft you pick players that would best fill your posistions. There is only one of each player, like in real life. The draft goes on until all the spots on your team are filled.

Past that, I’m not too sure of what happens in the fantasy computer.

Originally posted by Merlin
did you physically withdraw too? And just so you know, it takes very little time to be involved in this. Like, 5 minutes a day

Yeah, I deleted my team name. I’ll tell ya what - if I can find the time to put a draft strategy together, I’ll rejoin.

Originally posted by Bing
[b]Is there a set amount of money you have that you can buy the players with (so that you can’t have all the best players)?

Are there more than one of each player? (EX: I have Nomar on my team, and so does someone else in my league, or is it only one copy so Nomar never plays Nomar (like in real life)?)

And other ideas into how this works would be great. Also, how games are played. Sorry if this sounds dumb, but I’m new to actually getting involved with fantasy baseball.

Thanks! [/b]

1. There is no budget for this fantasy league. All players are chosen via the draft, it’s live. After the draft the players who are left are placed in free agency, and you can pick up or release players into that. Often a player dropped off your lineup has to remain on “waivers” for a couple of days, and can be signed afterwards.

2. Only one player.

3. If you click on the Matchups on League Overview screen, you can see how scoring works. Basically, every week you face off against one of the other teams in the league. There are a variety of stat categories you compete in, like home runs or saves. At the end of the week whoever has the best statistic wins that category. You get a win for having the best and a loss if you don’t; like if I hit 6 home runs in a week but you hit 8 you get a win. That’s how the league standings are calculated. The statistics are a reflection of the player’s real-life achievements that week.

Originally posted by LockeJV
Yeah, I deleted my team name. I’ll tell ya what - if I can find the time to put a draft strategy together, I’ll rejoin.
yeah basically the best draft strategy is to take as much advantage of the stat categories you’ll be competing in as you can. Like hitters who can hit for power and don’t strike out much, or something. I’d familiarize myself with the stat categories first. Balancing your roster is another good way of going that route, although in baseball players tend to play quite frequently.

draft is next week! Still room for two more souls.

Come hither! Join our baseball festivities!

for those in the league, would you prefer to have the draft at:

Sunday, March 28 at 6 PM EST
or
Monday, March 29 at 6 PM EST

if you can do both, say so too. Thanks!

Sunday works the best for me.

Aww crap! I’m going skiing this weekend, and I doubt I’ll be back in time on Sunday…but Monday I have class at 6pm (EST).

Is there anyway I can set it to select my players for me (based off some input) or something?

If I HAD to pick one, I’d say Sunday, just because I MIGHT be able to make that one. Is there a third option otherwise?

:too bad;

Neither of those are good for me, but the Sunday is better because I’m done work at 6:30 that night, so I could catch the end of it.

Sunday is best, because I don’t know if I have to work on Monday or not, and if I do, then I can’t make a monday date that early.

I much prefer Sunday, as I can’t guarantee when I’ll be on Monday, because of school, and such.

I’ve got a question…can anyone do it at any of these following times, and if most people can, could we do it then?

1. Sunday 10pm EST
  2. Monday 3pm EST
  3. Monday 10pm EST
  4. Tuesday 4pm EST
  5. Tuesday 8pm EST

Reply with the times that work for you (EX: “1,3,4 work for me!”), and feel free to suggest more/add more to this list.

Would this method even work at all?

(Note: The times I listed I can make it to any of.)

There’s no more spots open. Time is pretty much final. Not to mention 2 and 4 would place the time during school/work hours for West coasters.

is 6:45 doable on Sunday for everyone? That gives Xelo a little more time to get home.

That would be good for me…the later on Sunday the better (like 8-9).

Haha, that’ll probably do it, Merl. It depends on which manager’s closing up that night. I think it’s one of the guys who lets us go at quarter after this weekend.

what about the rest of you? I gotta change this soon so we all know when to show up!

6:45 is good for me. I don’t have to work on Sunday, and I can’t imagine I’ll be doing anything.