Fantasy Baseball

Merlin seems to have disappeared, so I’ll start the talk. If this could be stickied, I’d appreciate it.

Anyway, Yahoo! has opened up their Fantasy Baseball leagues, so I figured I would get people talking.

So how many people would be interested in a Fantasy Baseball league? How many people would give good honest participation? As in paying attention, watching the stats and your players and such. That was the problem last year at least.

Well?

And the problem with fantasy baseball, by far the longest running of the sports season, and twice as many games as either hockey or basketball (and ten times as many as football).

All that being said, I’m willing to play.

oh yeah, count me in. I wasn’t going to bring this up until mid-March or so, but yeah, I’ll form a league and everything. I’ll try to reserve a prime draft date as well (sometime on a Sunday I bet). Everyone should do it, it should be a grand season dominated by the Boston-New York War.

I wonder if I can whollomp all your afts again. Like I’m almost doing in the Hockey one right now.

Originally posted by Merlin
oh yeah, count me in. I wasn’t going to bring this up until mid-March or so, but yeah, I’ll form a league and everything. I’ll try to reserve a prime draft date as well (sometime on a Sunday I bet). Everyone should do it, it should be a grand season dominated by the Boston-New York War.

Heh, yeah, they’re already snipping and getting prissy with each other. The Red Sox owner and George Steinbrenner (the President Shinra of baseball) have already been mocking and insulting each other and Bud Selig has had to tell them both to shut up and sit in the corner for five minutes already. It’s gonna be great.

Sox-Yanks is the hot rivalry in baseball right now. They’ve got the good old fashioned hatred going that’s been missing between the Giants-Dodgers the past few years. (These teams used to run out onto the field and hit each other with their bats, now what? Nothin. The AL boys had that Zimmer-Pedro thing last October… Man, I’m envious.) It’s almost enough to get one hoping for the Dodgers to improve enough to be some semblance of a threat. :smiley:

Almost.

Well, the Yankees and the Red Sox have the longest running rivalry in Pro Sports history. It’s always been heated, and it really peaked last season. But it looks to be a great season all around.

Merlin = Boston
Me = New York

Merlin + Me = Bring it!

Yeah, why not? I’ll join. Hopefully the year won’t be filled with such suckage.

Sure, I’ll join. It’ll be fun, I’ve really enjoyed the football and hockey pools so far.

Man, i was ahead the entire last season almost, and i lose in the god damned play-offs. Ain’t that a bitch.

yeah! more people! sign up! I’ll make a league this week probably.

I’ll join!

Just one, very stupid, newbie question…

How do you make a league? All I’ve even done for fantasy baseball so far is at redsox.com, and I wasn’t able to make the team I wanted to there.

don’t worry about that. I usually handle the league creation, you just worry about joining it. I think it’ll be announced tomorrow or wednesday.

To further illustrate myself as a newbie…

What do we do? Make up a list of players on our dream-team, or is there a cost-limit, or do we have to sign-up at Yahoo?

Sorry, but all I really know about fantasy baseball so far is that I know who’s on my fantasy team.

We have a player draft basically. It’ll be live and you select your players based on how you choose. Then, after the draft you can make trades or pick up players off waivers if you need or want to.

Cool, I think I get it for the most part. The rest I’ll just pick up on as we go along.

When’s the draft going to be, or will you let us know when you know?

I’m interested. The season starts in 5 weeks - when will the draft be held?

I went to Yahoo.com and checked this out

We’re doing the free method, right?
I just ask because with my parents having me pay for college recently I’ve been pinching my pennies until they bleed.

heh, im in the winners pool this year

Yes, we do the free method.

And Merl! What’s the word?

Originally posted by Bing
I’ve been pinching my pennies until they bleed.
The proper saying is “I’m squeezing nickels 'til the buffalo shits”