25 most overrated games

I never knew that FF7 was hyped, I mean I figured it had to been hyped, but when I first got it (at a friend’s suggestion), I never knew.

And the only part of the GameSpy review, that I agree with, is the comment on lack of innate abilities. It would have been a lot cooler if each person had a few set moves (other than the limit breaks) to use. But it is still one of my favourites.

Okay, I don’t see what all of you seem to have against FF7. I don’t see how someone can make a judgement that is “certainly is not” the best of all time. Now, if you don’t think that it’s the best, that’s fine, but saying that it certainly, no way in hell, is the best, that just isn’t fair. Personally, of my experience with gaming, there’s nothing that topped it. I had played other RPGs before FF7. Not many, but a few (Chrono Trigger being the best of them), and no game has inspired me such as FF7, before or since.

Yes, I’ve played FF6, the one that many say is the best of the FF series, and, while I enjoyed it for the most part, I never at any point could see how it even came close to FF7. The story was too simple, the esper system was too boring.

I think that only certain ASPECTS of FF7 are overrated. If it weren’t for some morons walking into message boards and saying “The graffix in FF7 r0x0rz and SNES FFz sux0rz because there graffix look st00pid” or “Cloud/Sephiroth r SOO badass. They look so kool and they have big sords!”, I don’t think anyone would have a problem with FF7’s success.

Yes, FF7 was very different. It was the first Final Fantasy of the 32 bit era. Yes, I’ll admit that it was probably the FF that brought the above mentioned morons into FF gaming. Back in the SNES, the best looking RPGs really didn’t look THAT much better than the other genres. The PSX allowed for cinematic camera angles in battle, and better looking cutscenes, cutscenes being a staple of RPG gaming because of the involvement with storyline. Graphic whores saw this game, and of course ate up all of that eye candy, completely missing the good stuff.

And yes, those graphics brought those morons to RPGs, but let’s focus on the good that it did. It allowed for more realistic character models (yes, I remember the block hands of FF7, but the overall human shape was more accurate than the square blobs of the 16 bit era), which allowed for a deeper connection with the characters. 3D graphics allowed for more flexibility with story scenes. This led to a better and more complex story, the type of story we’ve had ever since FF7. So if you wish to view FF7 as a transitional game, that’s your call. However, we owe a lot to it, as it influenced its successors, and many other RPG franchises. FF7 lacks nothing that a great game posesses. Who’s to say that it’s not the best. Your idea of the best is just that, your idea. But to say that a game of FF7’s quality is certainly not the best isn’t right because the game is excellent enough that many people out there can believe it is.

Originally posted by Jenova’s Witness
[b]Okay, I don’t see what all of you seem to have against FF7. I don’t see how someone can make a judgement that is “certainly is not” the best of all time. Now, if you don’t think that it’s the best, that’s fine, but saying that it certainly, no way in hell, is the best, that just isn’t fair. Personally, of my experience with gaming, there’s nothing that topped it. I had played other RPGs before FF7. Not many, but a few (Chrono Trigger being the best of them), and no game has inspired me such as FF7, before or since.

Yes, I’ve played FF6, the one that many say is the best of the FF series, and, while I enjoyed it for the most part, I never at any point could see how it even came close to FF7. The story was too simple, the esper system was too boring.

I think that only certain ASPECTS of FF7 are overrated. If it weren’t for some morons walking into message boards and saying “The graffix in FF7 r0x0rz and SNES FFz sux0rz because there graffix look st00pid” or “Cloud/Sephiroth r SOO badass. They look so kool and they have big sords!”, I don’t think anyone would have a problem with FF7’s success.

Yes, FF7 was very different. It was the first Final Fantasy of the 32 bit era. Yes, I’ll admit that it was probably the FF that brought the above mentioned morons into FF gaming. Back in the SNES, the best looking RPGs really didn’t look THAT much better than the other genres. The PSX allowed for cinematic camera angles in battle, and better looking cutscenes, cutscenes being a staple of RPG gaming because of the involvement with storyline. Graphic whores saw this game, and of course ate up all of that eye candy, completely missing the good stuff.

And yes, those graphics brought those morons to RPGs, but let’s focus on the good that it did. It allowed for more realistic character models (yes, I remember the block hands of FF7, but the overall human shape was more accurate than the square blobs of the 16 bit era), which allowed for a deeper connection with the characters. 3D graphics allowed for more flexibility with story scenes. This led to a better and more complex story, the type of story we’ve had ever since FF7. So if you wish to view FF7 as a transitional game, that’s your call. However, we owe a lot to it, as it influenced its successors, and many other RPG franchises. FF7 lacks nothing that a great game posesses. Who’s to say that it’s not the best. Your idea of the best is just that, your idea. But to say that a game of FF7’s quality is certainly not the best isn’t right because the game is excellent enough that many people out there can believe it is. [/b]

FFVII did not use graphics at all in relation to the story. If you put FFVII on the SNES it would have been the same game.
SNES sprites looked more human than FFVII characters. The only thing FFVII had semi-right was proportions. They only resembled people in-battle.
The only innovation FFVII had was putting RPGs on the PSX (it was the first one). Nothing in FFVII that was new (and there isn’t that many) has been used since.
The story did not leave a mystery - it left plot holes and loose threads.
Hero and villain were only any good because of anime looks and big swords.
Fanboys only make things worse.
Play at least more than half of the FF games. FFVII is a good game, but it does not measure up to most of the others.

Originally posted by Dark Paladin
Play at least more than half of the FF games.
Oh, come on. I’ve played all of them except for Final Fantasy X, and Final Fantasy VII is still tied for first place on my list. Almost all of the “plot holes” were tied up somewhere in the game; the ending did leave things hanging, though, just like Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, and plenty of other games. As for innovation, like it or not, the game set the style for many other 3D RPGs. And as far as realism is concerned, certainly the sprites were not realistic in Final Fantasy VII, just like they weren’t in any other game until then. But what SNES games could never do that Final Fantasy VII did is the body language and the level of detail in some of the environments.

Yeah, I’ve played plenty of FFs, along with other RPGs, to know what a good RPG is. I’ve yet to finish three of the FFs I’ve started (but I’m right at the end of all of them, so it’s not like I’m only an hour through), but I know the ending to 6, and quite frankly, it’s pretty much cheesy garbage.

And all you need is similar bodily proportions and body language to make them look human, and none of the SNES FFs I’ve played had that (5 and 6). The closest thing I’ve seen to doing that on the SNES is Chrono Trigger. Like I said before, FFVII’s look wasn’t what you’d call realistic, with the character block hands and all, but it was ground breaking for the time, and was certainly a step in the right direction. I mean, in the SNES RPGs, characters can make maybe 7 or 8 different poses/positions. In 3D, it’s totally limitless.

And yes, graphics did make a difference in the story of the game. It allowed for a wider variety of color, and a more cinematic look on things. This allows the story to be told in a much better way. Some of the things that happened in FF7 would have probably looked silly on the SNES, and would have been much harder to duplicate.

And yes, Sephiroth Katana is right, nearly all of the plot holes were tied up, if you really paid attention and knew what was going on (note that I’m only saying nearly as a fail safe). Sure the ending didn’t spell it out for you, but who cares? I actually think that it’s better that way. You see, people don’t seem to appreciate FF7 for what it was: complicated. They either hate the game for it, or they try to oversimplify it. Cloud and Sephiroth weren’t only good for their looks. Cloud’s convoluted past was enthralling, and Sephiroth’s insanity was genuine. He wasn’t just crazy to begin with, but you saw him go from bad to worse, unlike a certain clown I could mention who walks onto a scene cackling and is renowned as the greatest villain of all FFs. You see, in my opinion, what separated FF7 from FF6 was 7’s ability to function on a mental level as well as an emotional level. There were emotional characters in 6, with the mysterious past of Shadow, or the story of the throne of Figaro between Edgar and Sabin, all of them led by the drama queen we know as Terra, but it was all emotion for the sake of emotion. FF7 brought reason behind it with Jenova and the psychology of the characters.

Bickering about FF7. Why am I not surprised? Fortunately, I’m staying out of this.

Now, if you’ll excuse me…picks up a “DONKEY KONG COUNTRY SUCKS” picket sign

“You see, in my opinion, what separated FF7 from FF6 was 7’s ability to function on a mental level as well as an emotional level…but (FF6) was all emotion for the sake of emotion.”

I wouldn’t say that. Nearly all the characters in Final Fantasy VI were extremely well developed. It’s quite impressive seeing as there were so many of them. I wouldn’t bother comparing the two anyway, since they’re both so good that it doesn’t really matter which one is better.

COUNTER STRIKE.

whoops there goes my lurker status… :frowning:

And yes, graphics did make a difference in the story of the game.

When?

And as far as the plot holes - those can only be filled by interpretation.

Did I not explain that? The wider variety of color better expresses the emotion of a setting. While Midgar could have been done on the SNES, it couldn’t have been done nearly as well. And I don’t think my other statement needs any other clarification.

And what plot holes are you referring to?

Here is an article I whole-heartedly agree with (except I like the new FFs). About half-way down, he starts talking about how the PSX FFs ignored graphics potential.
3D only made the emotion of the setting prettier. It was done just as well in IV-VI.

Plot Holes. Just a few of the major ones.

What were you chasing around in Disk One? A clone, an incarnation or a projection?
Who did you fight in the end? The real Sephiroth, who was supposed to be dead, or that thing you were chasing in Disk One? If the former is true, where did that thing in Disk One go?
What was Jenova? At first it was said she was a Cetra, but was also majorly hinted that she wasn’t and came with the meteor.
What was Cloud? A failed Sephiroth clone or Tifa’s childhood friend with someone else’s memories or Both? If the latter two are true, how did he get them?
What exactly is the Huge Materia? Materia is like fossil fuel made from the Ancients, using the abilities of the deceased Cetra and lifestream to make a stone you can use abilities with. All Huge materia does is make Master Materia out of a whole bunch of regular materia used to their fullest. What kind of ability is that for a Cetra to have?
Did humanity survive? (The “sequel that doesn’t deserve to be” answers that one, but FFVII does not)
Why would Bugenhagen allow Red XIII to grow up thinking his father was a coward when he was the greatest hero of their village? Wouldn’t the story have ever come up, even if Red XIII didn’t share his fellings with the guy?
Why didn’t Vincent get anything with Sephiroth? Sephiroth was the rape-child of Vincent’s girlfriend. Why would he ignore that?

I don’t want/need everything spelled out for me. In fact, I enjoy a little bit of mystery to a game/story. I just don’t like something riddled with so many plotholes it looks like someone took a shotgun to it.
Don’t get me wrong - I do love FFVII. In fact, it is undoubtedly on my top ten list. It’s just I don’t find it to measure up to the rest of the series. The main reason I probably get so critical about it is because fanboys just piss me off so easily.

FF7 is the best FF ever. Period.

But I also enjoyed FFX and FFT.

Originally posted by Nightblade
[b]FF7 is the best FF ever. Period.

But I also enjoyed FFX and FFT. [/b]

You do realize I want to kill you and hug you at the same time? I hate people who say “FF7’s the best. Period.” and not back it up. I still don’t think it’s any good at all (FFVIII is good, though, and I still don’t know why). FFX gets you emotionally attached, which ain’t easy to do, and FFT is JUST THAT DAMN GOOD. :stuck_out_tongue:

I was too lazy to back it up.

Well, FF7 had a great storyline. It was just interessting. Music was great. Graphics were good for that time. I liked the Materia System. I liked Sephiroth’s Personality, not his cool looks. From a brave warrior, to an insane killing machine.

[spoiler]
“What were you chasing around in Disk One? A clone, an incarnation or a projection?”

Is there really such a huge distinction? Anyway, though you saw the clones here and there, and the characters thought that they were chasing the real Sephiroth, what they were really chasing was Jenova. It got broken out by one of the clones, which was being manipulated by Sephiroth from wherever he was. Once that happened, Sephiroth and Jenova could work together. But Jenova didn’t just slither around the world in her real form, so she adopted the appearance of Sephiroth at times. So then, you saw all the clones stumbling along towards the Reunion, but you also saw some projections of Sephiroth that were created by Jenova. This is because every single time you fight Jenova, you do it right after a scene with Sephiroth (BIRTH when he appears in the cargo hold, LIFE when he kills Aeris, and DEATH during the Reunion), and you see little bits of Jenova fly around instead of Sephiroth after each fight.

That’s pretty complicated (probably unnecessarily so), but it doesn’t require a whole lot of conjecture.

“Who did you fight in the end? The real Sephiroth, who was supposed to be dead, or that thing you were chasing in Disk One?”

The real one. He fell into the Lifestream, as was explained in one of the cutscenes, and ended up in stasis there instead of dying.

“If the former is true, where did that thing in Disk One go?”

It went to the Reunion, at the start of Disc 2. All of the Hojo-created Sephiroth images did. There, they died.

“What was Jenova? At first it was said she was a Cetra, but was also majorly hinted that she wasn’t and came with the meteor.”

It was pretty much said outright in one of the hidden flashbacks that she was some kind of non-Cetra alien who crashed into the earth way back when. But you have to remember, everything you know about her comes from the Shinra scientists, and they naturally wouldn’t know everything about her.

“What was Cloud? A failed Sephiroth clone or Tifa’s childhood friend with someone else’s memories or Both? If the latter two are true, how did he get them?”

Tifa’s childhood friend. After he stabbed Sephiroth in Nibelheim, he got captured by Hojo and put into the Nibelheim basement along with Zack. There, Hojo performed his Sephiroth experiments on him, causing him to lose his memory. Zack broke him out and escaped with him, but got shot when the Shinra caught up to them, leaving Cloud in the middle of Midgar. So Cloud was left with some true memories, some really vague images of some things that happened in Nibelheim, and a big blank, which he filled by basically making a lot of stuff up and hiding from his problems.

"What exactly is the Huge Materia? Materia is like fossil fuel made from the Ancients, using the abilities of the deceased Cetra and lifestream to make a stone you can use abilities with. All Huge materia does is make Master Materia out of a whole bunch of regular materia used to their fullest. What kind of ability is that for a Cetra to have? "

Huh? This is a “plot point”? Why isn’t that a “good ability” for the Cetra to have?

“Did humanity survive? (The “sequel that doesn’t deserve to be” answers that one, but FFVII does not)”

If Red XIII didn’t perish, why would every human have?

“Why would Bugenhagen allow Red XIII to grow up thinking his father was a coward when he was the greatest hero of their village? Wouldn’t the story have ever come up, even if Red XIII didn’t share his fellings with the guy?”

Who’s to say he didn’t try to dissuade him? He may have thought that Red XIII wouldn’t believe him without proof, and he wouldn’t let him into the cave until he was old enough, for pretty obvious reasons.

“Why didn’t Vincent get anything with Sephiroth? Sephiroth was the rape-child of Vincent’s girlfriend. Why would he ignore that?”

Who’s to say he did ignore it? Vincent doesn’t talk a lot. It’s pretty clear that he’s internalized his problems pretty deeply. Besides, Vincent’s beef wouldn’t be with Sephiroth, it would be with Hojo. And Hojo didn’t rape Lucretia; the game shows pretty clearly in Vincent’s flashback that she liked Hojo more than Vincent at that time.[/spoiler]

“I don’t want/need everything spelled out for me. In fact, I enjoy a little bit of mystery to a game/story. I just don’t like something riddled with so many plotholes it looks like someone took a shotgun to it.”

Sure, but some of your points are pretty trivial, and for the others, it’s not hard to infer what went on from what you were told. You can find some inconsistencies in any game. And here’s another thing - why is it absolutely necessary that the exact reason for every event be revealed? After all, the characters would have no cause to find out exactly what Jenova was, since no human before them ever really found out for sure and Jenova herself doesn’t have a lot of cause to tell them. Why can’t there be some details that they - and thus you, since you’re playing as them - just don’t know, and have to explain as well as they can?

“Here is an article I whole-heartedly agree with (except I like the new FFs).”

That guy’s absolutely wrong when he says that Final Fantasy VII would be the same on the NES. Even if the graphics were just a tool to spice up the game without changing the same storytelling mechanism that was used before, the new levels of detail that 3D graphics and new hardware capacity brought with it definitely made that mechanism a hell of a lot more immersive. There is a huge amount of detail paid to little things in Final Fantasy VII, particularly in Midgar, which wins my vote for best RPG setting ever, simply because of things like the rain, the texture on the paving stones, the exterior and interior of the trains, all the glowing signs, the junk heaps and cheap restaurants in Wall Market (I’ve seen some cheap diners in some places that look exactly like those), the “LOVELESS” posters on the walls, the ruined churches, the executive lounges in the Shinra building, and so on. Yes, you <i>could</i> have these locations on the NES, in the sense that you could have rectangular NES-style RPG rooms with monochromatic floors and walls with the same dialogue in them, but it would have no atmosphere. One would feel no immersion in the location, because nothing would look like it should.

You can’t put something like Chrono Trigger on the NES, either, because it needs its graphics for some of its effect, and there’s nothing wrong with that at all. Yet, by this guy’s logic, there would be no difference whatsoever because it would still contain dialogue on a screen. That’s like saying that there is no difference between a masterful painting and a scribble made with a ballpoint pen because they’re both made by putting ink or paint on a flat surface. On one level, the comparison <i>is</i> true, but it’s still ridiculous.

Originally posted by Sephiroth Katana
[b][spoiler]
“What were you chasing around in Disk One? A clone, an incarnation or a projection?”

Is there really such a huge distinction? Anyway, though you saw the clones here and there, and the characters thought that they were chasing the real Sephiroth, what they were really chasing was Jenova. It got broken out by one of the clones, which was being manipulated by Sephiroth from wherever he was. Once that happened, Sephiroth and Jenova could work together. But Jenova didn’t just slither around the world in her real form, so she adopted the appearance of Sephiroth at times. So then, you saw all the clones stumbling along towards the Reunion, but you also saw some projections of Sephiroth that were created by Jenova. This is because every single time you fight Jenova, you do it right after a scene with Sephiroth (BIRTH when he appears in the cargo hold, LIFE when he kills Aeris, and DEATH during the Reunion), and you see little bits of Jenova fly around instead of Sephiroth after each fight.

That’s pretty complicated (probably unnecessarily so), but it doesn’t require a whole lot of conjecture.

“Who did you fight in the end? The real Sephiroth, who was supposed to be dead, or that thing you were chasing in Disk One?”

The real one. He fell into the Lifestream, as was explained in one of the cutscenes, and ended up in stasis there instead of dying.

“If the former is true, where did that thing in Disk One go?”

It went to the Reunion, at the start of Disc 2. All of the Hojo-created Sephiroth images did. There, they died.

“What was Jenova? At first it was said she was a Cetra, but was also majorly hinted that she wasn’t and came with the meteor.”

It was pretty much said outright in one of the hidden flashbacks that she was some kind of non-Cetra alien who crashed into the earth way back when. But you have to remember, everything you know about her comes from the Shinra scientists, and they naturally wouldn’t know everything about her.

“What was Cloud? A failed Sephiroth clone or Tifa’s childhood friend with someone else’s memories or Both? If the latter two are true, how did he get them?”

Tifa’s childhood friend. After he stabbed Sephiroth in Nibelheim, he got captured by Hojo and put into the Nibelheim basement along with Zack. There, Hojo performed his Sephiroth experiments on him, causing him to lose his memory. Zack broke him out and escaped with him, but got shot when the Shinra caught up to them, leaving Cloud in the middle of Midgar. So Cloud was left with some true memories, some really vague images of some things that happened in Nibelheim, and a big blank, which he filled by basically making a lot of stuff up and hiding from his problems.

"What exactly is the Huge Materia? Materia is like fossil fuel made from the Ancients, using the abilities of the deceased Cetra and lifestream to make a stone you can use abilities with. All Huge materia does is make Master Materia out of a whole bunch of regular materia used to their fullest. What kind of ability is that for a Cetra to have? "

Huh? This is a “plot point”? Why isn’t that a “good ability” for the Cetra to have?

“Did humanity survive? (The “sequel that doesn’t deserve to be” answers that one, but FFVII does not)”

If Red XIII didn’t perish, why would every human have?

“Why would Bugenhagen allow Red XIII to grow up thinking his father was a coward when he was the greatest hero of their village? Wouldn’t the story have ever come up, even if Red XIII didn’t share his fellings with the guy?”

Who’s to say he didn’t try to dissuade him? He may have thought that Red XIII wouldn’t believe him without proof, and he wouldn’t let him into the cave until he was old enough, for pretty obvious reasons.

“Why didn’t Vincent get anything with Sephiroth? Sephiroth was basically the rape-child of Vincent’s girlfriend. Why would he ignore that?”

Who’s to say he did ignore it? Vincent doesn’t talk a lot. It’s pretty clear that he’s internalized his problems pretty deeply. Besides, Vincent’s beef wouldn’t be with Sephiroth, it would be with Hojo. And Hojo didn’t rape Lucretia; the game shows pretty clearly in Vincent’s flashback that she liked Hojo more than Vincent at that time.[/spoiler][/b]

Like I said - interpretation. There is equally enough evidence for your interpretations as there is for any other.

Huge Materia:

You sure spend enough time searching for them. And a Cetra wouldn’t have the ability to take things that don’t exist and making a super-version of them.

Red XIII’s Father:

He didn’t even hear of the story. He got enough info about his mom, why not his dad?

Red XIII in the end:

There have been many theories that when Holy and the Lifestream defeated Meteor, they annhilated the humans in favor of Red XIII’s species because of the massive damage humans had done to the planet

Don’t you hate it when threads turn into a FFVII debate?
Especially when FFVII had a minor thing to do with the topic in the first place. :hmm:

Agrees with absolutely everything that SK just said

Yeah, those weren’t plot holes, pal, most of those were discovered from hidden scenes. Most of the rest, as SK said, were trivial and rather unimportant, or could be explained by common sense.

The one about the ending, that was, at the time, supposed to be a mystery. Yes, that was open to interpretation, but that’s only one thing. That doesn’t make it a plot hole.

Actually, there was one thing that I had previously thought differently from SK’s post, but his makes more sense.

The first answer, I always thought it was a purely mental projection, but your point about the Jenova fights definitely makes sense. I’m thinking though, Seph probably did harness the power to control that Jenova HIMSELF to form his image, as Sephiroth obviously could manipulate the Jenova himself, as he did with Cloud. Of course, that brings up the point that maybe that just was Jenova functioning independently, and it could control Cloud because it WAS Jenova. Personally, I would rather believe that Sephiroth was controlling it, because otherwise, you’re never really fighting against Sephiroth at all. He didn’t kill Aeris, Jenova did. He didn’t mastermind the plot of summoning Meteor, Jenova did. Personally, I’d like to believe that Sephiroth did those things, but used Jenova as the only tool at his expense

And I also disagree totally with this guy. How is FF7 just FF6 on crack? The two storylines are nearly uncomparable! And there’s no battle system interaction? Then what the hell are junctioning and the Sphere Grid?

And, say that he’s right, that 3D doesn’t make a whole lot of difference in FF storytelling (note that this is just hypothetical), how can you say that there was no reason for 3D? Maybe FF7 did look a bit more jagged or rough around the edges than FF6, but there were some damn pretty scenes. Now look at FFX. Would you rather have your hand drawn characters, which eventually just plateau in quality at a certain point, or would you rather have the gorgeous graphics that FFX boasts? FF7 was a step towards those graphics. Now, I’m not saying that graphics are ultra important, in fact, I don’t think that at all. But it is nice to have good graphics. In this 3D era, if Final Fantasy had stayed 2D, there would be God knows how many shallow gamers thinking that it sucked, and that it was behind the times. Forget about the storytelling for now, if there was no reason to switch to 3D, there was even less to stay in 2D.

Of course, there was a reason to switch to 3D, and SK said it perfectly.

EDIT: Damn, you posted right before me. Well anyways, those first two questions are rather trivial.

Huge Materia: Remember that you also got Bahamut ZERO from Huge Materia, so it must have had some use… Also, when you create Master Materia, you aren’t creating something from nothing. As I think of it, the Huge Materia facilitates the combination of your materia

Red XIII’s Father: Even more trivial. This is one of those rare cases in RPGs that it doesn’t matter why he didn’t hear of it, all that matters is that he didn’t

And as for your last question, let it go. That’s SUPPOSED to be open to interpretation. Almost all of the rest of it was spelled out for you if you were willing to look.

And topics shift. Deal with it. Forums would be pretty boring if a topic couldn’t shift from it’s initial topic after a while.

In this 3D era, if Final Fantasy had stayed 2D, there would be God knows how many shallow gamers thinking that it sucked, and that it was behind the times

And now there are even more players that think it is “teh basst gam evAr!” just because of 3D.
3D just made things prettier. The battle system was not changed at all beacause of it, and the story line was affected only in the sense there could be more action.

Are ya’ll forgetting what I’m arguing about? I know FFVII is a good game. I just don’t think it is “teh basst gam evAr!”

Well, your also underrating the effects that FF7 had on the series and gaming in general.

And no, it wasn’t just more action. Read SK’s last post again. I believe it was about setting.

If you still think that 3D did absolutely nothing to improve the game other than make it prettier, I don’t see you being swayed.

Well, your also underrating the effects that FF7 had on the series and gaming in general.

I know what it did. It created FF, Square, and PSX fanboys. It turned video gaming (in the West, at least) from some sort of kiddie thing to something everyone could enjoy.
Like I said,
Originally posted by Dark Paladin
The main reason I probably get so critical about it is because fanboys just piss me off so easily.