25 most overrated games

I don’t know about half those games. I have ridden out the hype, I rule!
Or something.

I can’t really disagree or agree with the list. I haven’t really played any of the games on it, so I don’t know how they are and if people have exaggerated how much they ‘roxxor’ or not.

Wow… for a second there i thought this topic would not get any posts:thud: .
heh all this and i have never said anything about what i think lol ok yes everybody brought up good points es[ecially dkc even being on the list and ff7.
Halo i think was well placed to me maybe a bit higher like i have said on another thread i o to a school with a TON of X-Box fanboys and they all PRAISE HALO! its really pissing me off…but of course that is just me.

Damn… i need way better grammer… sorry

Any game that is designed to sell systems (Donkey Kong Country (BUT IT’S THE GREATEST GAME EVER!), Halo, Final Fantasy 7) is gonna be massivly overhyped.

Final Fantasy VII was the game that made RPGs more mainstream. I don’t think they made it to sell systems, since few RPGs could do that at the time.

SK, I’m glad you pointed out the “deemphasizing individual abilities” part. I got a good laugh out of that one.

meh… i thought FF7 was pretty good… and how hyped up was it anyways? Quake 2 was pretty good too… tho, the mods were better than the game itself… >.> Never played Halo… so dunno… and DKC was so fun! it shouldnt be on the list! >.<
blaaaaaaaaaah those ppl at gamespy have not more good stuff to write about anymore, so they trash stuff :stuck_out_tongue: bad, but very very fun tho! :smiley:

Well I suppose I never really got into all of the hype since I got into the RPG scene prett late. However I still think that FF7 is one of my favorite RPG’s and games overall.

I’m not just an FF7 fanboy, I liked 8 to some point. But since we’re talking about overrated, I don’t know really since I missed out on the hype. But I feel that FF7 deserves a lot of praise, it’s a really great game IMO.

Originally posted by X_countryguy
[b]Well I suppose I never really got into all of the hype since I got into the RPG scene prett late. However I still think that FF7 is one of my favorite RPG’s and games overall.

I’m not just an FF7 fanboy, I liked 8 to some point. But since we’re talking about overrated, I don’t know really since I missed out on the hype. But I feel that FF7 deserves a lot of praise, it’s a really great game IMO. [/b]

You didn’t need to be around when it first came out to know how hyped-up it was. Just go have a conversation with a fanboy.
But bring plenty of asprin :fungah:

I played FF7 wicked late. I liked it, but not in the “OMG FF7 LEIK ROOLZ” way. I liked it as any other game i played. I honestly liked 8 and 9 more though. 8 for being different (i value originality more than others), and 9 for just plain being fun .

I do find it strange how people hate FF7 for ‘deemphasizing individual abilities’ when about half of the series before it (heck, Ill count. 1,2,3, and 5) lacked ‘individual abilities’. I will admit, however, that FF7 was too easy. I even attempted a no-materia game (yes, NONE, save for the chocobo lure to get by midgar zolom) and i didnt quit because it was hard, i quit because it was boring.

Originally posted by Sephiroth Katana
Final Fantasy VII was the game that made RPGs more mainstream. I don’t think they made it to sell systems, since few RPGs could do that at the time.

Ah, but they didn’t advertise it as an RPG. During most of the advertisement campaign they were pretty vague on the gameplay details. They did, however, make it sound like it would be the greatest game ever; which many people figured to be a good reason to buy a Playstation.

Originally posted by PanamaJack
Ah, but they didn’t advertise it as an RPG. During most of the advertisement campaign they were pretty vague on the gameplay details. They did, however, make it sound like it would be the greatest game ever; which many people figured to be a good reason to buy a Playstation.

Yeah, but anybody with a vague memory of ANY of the other Final Fantasy games (FF1 was pretty popular) would realize its an RPG…

All I can say in response to that list is, “Sweet god, how did none of the 12 Tekken games get put on that list?” I’m dumbstricken.

Cyber: You’re missing the point. FF7 was being catered to those who HADN’T played a console RPG before. I certainly hadn’t when I saw the commercials (actually they were HO-RC commercials that had bits of the FMVs of FF7 in them).

Originally posted by Cybercompost
Yeah, but anybody with a vague memory of ANY of the other Final Fantasy games (FF1 was pretty popular) would realize its an RPG…

But many (if not most) of the targeted audience in America hadn’t had any Final Fantasy experience whatsoever. Before the explosion of RPGs that occurred after FF7, most people simply did not have much experience in that genre of games. Although FF1 was a hit, it was before the time of many of the younger gamers. FF4 and FF6 did make American release, but they remained relatively obscure titles. Although its easy for us to say that we remembered those games, the younger gamers at the time simply did not know about them.

I have no doubt that Square wanted to promote the game as well as possible - surely, they knew that they had something good on their hands - but I doubt that they knew what exactly it would become and exploited that in advance. It’s not likely that they deliberately tried to hide that it was an RPG in hopes that it would sell well. If it wouldn’t have sold otherwise, then word-of-mouth would have probably stopped its success.

I’ve never liked Lamespy. I’ve never trusted their opinions on anything.

That f00! He said ‘playing a shooter with a gamepad is just wrong!’ and he is WRONG!

The only way I will play Half-Life today is with my gamepad! (admittedly I use the mouse a little for precision aiming, but still)

With a gamepad, I can sit back and relax rather than be hunched over a blasted keyboard! HURRAH!

Curses to those ignorant imbeciles! CURSES!

MK was not overhyped in my humble opinion. I believe that it just spawned way too many imitators. Most fans of the series do in fact say that MKII was the pinacle of the series…(though some now contest that Deadly Alliance is). DKC was all that it promised. A good platformer. When I first got the game in my greasy little paws I thought it was one of the best platformers i had ever played. The graphics were also very good. The sequels could have been done a bit better, but other than that the series had a good run on SNES. I say that Neverwinter nights should have been #1. Then again its just an opinion.

Blinx is 6 on the list? That game was not overhyped. Xbox, in my opinion, doesn’t have that great of games. Jetset Radio Future however was kickass, and Blinx was fun for the most part. The only reason I even have an Xbox is cause I got one for a gift one year cause the person had got bad advice.

DOA3 sucked, don’t know if it was overhyped though.

FF7, I’ve heard it was hyped, but the only reason I bought it was cause it looked interesting.

Though I haven’t played most of the other games on that list.