25 most overrated games

Wow man, some of you tottaly dont know what “overrated” means.

SFA wasn’t ultrahyped. This isn’t the suckiest games list, it’s the ones that were hyped beyond imagination and didn’t live up to it.

Here’s my thoughts:

MGS2 was slightly overrated. The plot just got too twisted and bizzare at the end, and the definate lack of Snake was a major turn-off. That, and MGS3 is going to be a damn PREQUEL! YOU LEFT US HANGING, KOJIMA! DAMN YOU!

FF7 was also overrated, but still fun. I hated the ending, and the whole game was rushed (which is a well-known fact), but it was still enjoyable; it just wasn’t the best in the series (a title which is still up for debate).

Daikatana…HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

I’m a very moderate MK fan, but I still thought the first game was terrible. Take away the blood, and it’s nothing but boring fighting. And Nintendo did that, which is why it sucked even more on the SNES. At least Sega let you use a hidden blood code.

DKC…oh, where do I begin? At the risk of being flamed to a crisp, the game was HIGHLY overrated. In fact, I go so far as to say that the graphics weren’t even close to as good as they said they were. Then there’s the gameplay, which made it a pain in the ass to do ANYTHING! The game was horrible, folks. Stop praising it like it’s the greatest thing mankind has blest upon this earth.

And yet again, I risk open flaming by saying that I was never into the Matrix series. I never played Enter the Matrix, but since I wasn’t a fan of the movies, I doubt I’d like it.

Dude, you’re out of your fucking mind. Donkey Kong Country is by far the pinnacle of all gaming. Ever. And forever shall it remain.

DKC: Overhyped, maybe.

I won’t say it’s the best game I’ve every played. I’ve played all three DKCs, and I do love the series. SOME OF THE best, but not THE best.

Originally posted by RoguePaladinTrian
I’m with Penny Arcade on this one. Gamespy’s feature, from the selections of it I did read, is full of it. The FF7 entry in particular looks like nothing other than the editors claiming how much better oldschoolers they are because they liked other Final Fantasy games better. Pathetic.
Actually one of them directly references ff8 as being superior. So it wasn’t a total “old sk00l” defense.

I have one main qualm, and that is: What the hell is Binx? Or Blinx? or whatever the hell that anonymous X-Box game that got into the top 10.

Originally posted by Merlin
I have one main qualm, and that is: What the hell is Binx? Or Blinx? or whatever the hell that anonymous X-Box game that got into the top 10.

While I have yet to buy it (it only twenty dollars), I do know that Blinxs is a platformer for the XBox where you can slow down or speed up time. I heard it pretty good, but don’t remember ever hearing about ANY hype on it. One minute I hear about a game where you can control time, the next minute it at Toy R Us for 20 (around time it went Platium).

that one guy is a liar to say that FF7 isnt a good game. i dont like square or final fantasy games in general but FF7 is a just really fun to play.

The FF7 entry in particular looks like nothing other than the editors claiming how much better oldschoolers they are because they liked other Final Fantasy games better. Pathetic.

I agree with upper portion of the review:

For thousands (possibly millions) of gamers, FFVII was their introduction to the series. And, almost always, the first time you encounter something is the most memorable.

As far as the editor comments, I thought they were ridiculous, as is just about anything I’ve seen them write at the bottom of their articles. Most of the content of their posts is ego-stroking, and the rest is poorly placed words they pull from the thesauras (especially Ben, he’s just horrid).

I will have to admit, a good majority of these games on this list do seem well placed, but there is one thing you all are forgeting, it’s a friggin’ gaming website, and a bad one at that. No offence to readers of GameSpy, but I’ve never really trusted their opinions on anything. Come to think of it, it’s because of Editors like these guys that start the hypes in the first place. They write an article about some game that ‘looks really great’ and when it finally comes out, our expectations are about 10x that of what they were when we first heard that the title was coming out. I for one am trying to cut down on reading ‘professional reviews’ on games mainly because these guys have no clue what I would like or not like.

I’m with Penny Arcade on this one. Gamespy’s feature, from the selections of it I did read, is full of it. The FF7 entry in particular looks like nothing other than the editors claiming how much better oldschoolers they are because they liked other Final Fantasy games better. Pathetic.

Originally posted by LockeJV
[b]I agree with upper portion of the review:

For thousands (possibly millions) of gamers, FFVII was their introduction to the series. And, almost always, the first time you encounter something is the most memorable.[/b]

Not always true (like me, for example), but that seems to be the case with FFVII fanboys.
I agree with everyone else who said FFVII should be #1. It was a good game, but definitely not “the best.” The story and the game itself were rushed, the side quests were lame, and it did get tedious at several points. The cheif redeeming point was graphics, which were used only in the game, and not for it. Overall, it was good, but in a list of my favorite FFs, it would go near the bottom.
The only reason, I think, FFVIII (and IX, subsequently) got so trashed was because of FFVII fanboys expecting FFVII sequels.

Originally posted by d Galloway
[b]FF7 was also overrated, but still fun. I hated the ending, and the whole game was rushed (which is a well-known fact), but it was still enjoyable; it just wasn’t the best in the series (a title which is still up for debate).

DKC…oh, where do I begin? At the risk of being flamed to a crisp, the game was HIGHLY overrated. In fact, I go so far as to say that the graphics weren’t even close to as good as they said they were. Then there’s the gameplay, which made it a pain in the ass to do ANYTHING! The game was horrible, folks. Stop praising it like it’s the greatest thing mankind has blest upon this earth. [/b]

I agree completely.

hmmz unreal 2 sucked ass, and UT 2 should be in it too

Mortal Combat?

• Deep breath *

I’LL KILL THEM!!!

I particularly like how one of their reviewers talked about how the Materia system “de-emphasized individual abilities” or something like that, a few phrases after praising Final Fantasy V’s Job system, in which characters had no individual abilities whatsoever.

Eh? Thats not true. The abilities you learn with each job stay with the character, not the job. (In FFV), so that you could be a knight that does black magic, or a white mage with the magic sword ability or some other such wacky combo.

Yeah, if you combine those particular commands. You can do the exact same thing in Final Fantasy VII. In fact, you have room to do more, since you’re not limited to only Fight/Special/Special/Item as commands. And no character in Final Fantasy V has innate abilities: you can make Lenna be a mage/knight, or you can make Butz have that role. They’re interchangeable.

Ok, I think you meant innate instead of individual then, because now it makes sense.

mortal kombat 1 is horrible. mortal kombat 2 and 3 are the only ones that are remotely good.