Where do you see yourself?

Originally posted by Dalton Of Zeal
An interesting fact about that. Ever wondered why Iron is referred to as PB on the Periodic Table? Well, plumbing was usually done with iron. And back then, I think the Latin word for iron is “plumb” or something along the lines of that.

No, Pb is Lead. Iron is Fe which is short for ummm Ferrous or Ferric or something, I cant remember exactly.
Pb is umm Plumbus or something along those lines

We just went over that in class. Pb stands for Plumbum. How gay.

It’s latin.

RPG World I’d live in? Hmm. That’s hard for me to decide, since I’ve played so blasted many. Maybe the research I’m doing for my Origin Story (COUGHBLATANTPLUGCOUGH!) will help me decide; I’ll get back to you people.

As for historical period, I would NOT live in any other period than the present. Call me an optimist, but I think we’re better off now than we have ever been (which is NOT to say that we’re perfect, either.)

If I ABSOLUTELY had to choose, I’d pick the Roman Empire. It was actually pretty civilized, not the decadent tyrants you see in the movies (thought that varied depending on the Emperor, of course.)

And Dalton, yes, I think these threads are actually doing us some good. At least they seem to drive us away from the more flame-filled topics! : )

There are many time periods I’d like to visit, but none I’d really see myself living in. Now is just perfect for me. I’m not sure about RPG worlds, but definitely one with lots of airships and robots. :stuck_out_tongue:

Dalton: Yes, I think that us guys like those threads where we get to talk about ourselves because few people don’t like talking about themselves. :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by Sir Percival
Te oportet mecum babararum in forum linguarum colloqui; filum nuper novum aliquis coepit sed reliquit. Tristitia filo relicto illo nunc in corde volvit, cum mihi exercenda sit dictio Latina ne obbliviscar. ;_;

I knew I should have brought my Latin dictionary to college with me. And my notes too. Sorry that I can’t reply in kind. I have a general idea what you’re saying. Is this classical or medieval? I don’t know how much of a difference there is, but I studied classical.

I’d love to be in the Middle Ages, anywhere in Europe, just seeing the LOTR films get my imagination running…

As for where would I see myself in an RPG world ? :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s a tough one, but I’d guess I’d enjoy being in the FFT world, as long as I wouldn’t be in the way of trouble :stuck_out_tongue:

Ancient China would be an interesting era to live in, but I doubt I’ld be able to adapt to that kinda lifestyle, so Im going with modern times.

For my RPG character, a sort of FF4 and FF8 hybrid land would be kinda neat. You have youer fantasy element there, but you also have technology too.

Originally posted by Sir Percival Perhaps because it was the time for much development in political thought and the beginning of social revolution in Western Civilisation?

Nah, it’s the three cornered hats and breeches. :smiley:

Originally posted by demigod
I knew I should have brought my Latin dictionary to college with me. And my notes too. Sorry that I can’t reply in kind. I have a general idea what you’re saying. Is this classical or medieval? I don’t know how much of a difference there is, but I studied classical.

That was classical Latin. Mediaeval Latin is actually not that different, save that some of the grammar has been simplified and the vocabularly has been expanded to include many new loanwords from Greek and from the Celtic and Germanic languages.

How much grammar have you studied thus far? I tend to use a fair amount of the advanced grammar (particularly ablative absolutes, gerunds, gerundives, gerundives of obligation, double datives, lots of subjunctive clauses and oratio obliqua) because that was considered good style in Latin prose; I actually took a course on Latin prose composition a few years ago, although my style still does not hold a candle to Cicero, Caesar or Livy.

Three years of Latin, enough to learn ablative absolutes, and possibly gerunds and gerundives, but I don’t recall. Of course, it’s been about 6 months since I’ve used any of it, but I managed to get a perfect score on the level 3 National Latin Exam. I got a fancy certificate and a letter saying only a couple thousand people (it said the exact number) out of 102,000 or so achieved that honor. My vocabulary is also a little more limited than I’d like. I was hoping I’d get a chance to take a course in college, but they only have an intro level class.

I’d live in Europe during the Hundred Years War. My only problem with the time would be the Plague.

For an RPG world…I’d have to say FF6 during the War of the Magi. I think that would have been interesting.

Spacial era, in which wormholes are used just like nowaday’s highways. A Star Wars setting without the Force and Jedis would be nice for me.

Originally posted by Sun Demon
No, Pb is Lead. Iron is Fe which is short for ummm Ferrous or Ferric or something, I cant remember exactly.
Pb is umm Plumbus or something along those lines

Ferium I think…something along those lines.

Thanks for the trivia Dai I feel rather stupid now.

Real life: Probably sometime in the not-too-distant future.

Game: Valoria from the Ultima Series.

The 60’s or 70’s, cause that era was the best. Drugs, music, rebellion, it was so sweet man. And the 80’s would be my second choice, cause of the metal!!!

Originally posted by d Galloway
Any time period would work for me, except for the Deus Ex future. I’d need enough guns and ammo to last a small army in order to so much as walk down to the store for eggs.

You sure you’d want to even buy eggs with the Gray Death running rampant?

My character lives in a faerie tale world where the elven kind war with their evil brothers, many fairies are not as pure as they are stereotyped to be, and dragons are truly wise and protect their secrets till their death.

As for real life, I can’t say. I don’t much like the past and the future doesn’t seem much brighter. (course this could just be stemming from the fact that I’m reading the Crucible and I can’t stand the people). If magic was real in the past, that’s where I’d be.

I need to agree with my bro.
(Anywhere but any era where the Earth is destroyed.)

Originally posted by Evangelion
[b]Ferium I think…something along those lines.

Thanks for the trivia Dai I feel rather stupid now. [/b]

Ferrum