What's the best Final Fantasy?

In no particular order

Tactics=first strategy RPG i played
IX=i love the game
IV=first final fantasy i ever finished

Originally posted by demigod
Would you have prefered a new “Favorite FF” thread?

Just don’t make it a “Favorite Summon” thread. Val knows she’ll never win it :hahaha; . Love ya anyway Val :kissy: .

Alexander is the best, if not in combat, then at least as a concept!

Men can concieve thoughts, ideas…think you fool.

Originally posted by FrownGuppy
Just out of interest, why do you think 7’s the worst in the entire series?

Its verey overrated.

The materia system sucks.

There is no villian that you HATE.

The graphics are too blocky.

The story is the only cliche in the series.

I did cry when Aeries(dont think i spelled that right) died though.

:mwahaha: :mwahaha: :mwahaha:

Originally posted by Dark Paladin
Sequels never measure up to the original.

Final Fantasy is a franshise not a series.

There are only 3 sequals.

Chrono Chross,Tactics Advance,X2.

X2 is the only direct sequal.

:enguard:

Originally posted by Zhare
[b]

I did cry when Aeries(dont think i spelled that right) died though.

[/b]

Wuss. It’s just a video game character. Jeez. Grow Up.

FFT’s story was good, but the system itself was far too easy to abuse…that or I just get my kicks out of walking up to Algus and saying the magical 5 letter word

Flare

Algus dies, happy end.

But anyway, I liked FF4’s story best, followed by FFMQ (easy or not, the story and gameplay was fun, music pwned too) and third is FF6, the newer console generations are okay too, just not deeply engraved in my heart. I would never be able to replay FF8 or 9 because the tediousness is frikkin boring, while FF7 might have been okay but watching fingerless Cloud again grab items somehow would make me chuckle too much.

1. FF7
  2. FF4
  3. FF10
  4. FF3/6
  5. FF9
  6. FF2(The one packed with Orgins)
  7. FF1(Packed With Orgins)
  8. FFTactics
  9. FF8

Originally posted by Zhare
The materia system sucks.

‘Sucks’? >.> Sounds like a dodgy description to me. The materia system is probably the most flexible magic system in the series, suitable for beginners and masters of the RPG genre, and capable of being fine-tuned to the highest description.

There is no villian that you HATE.

How about Hojo? A completely amoral scientist who injected his own son with Jenova cells for pure experimental purposes, killing Lucrecia in the process?

Aside from that, I prefer villains who aren’t just ‘evil’. Villains who you can empathise with make for a more intricate and involving storyline.

The graphics are too blocky.

They were top of the range when FF7 first came out, and are still pretty good considering the game’s age.

The story is the only cliche in the series.

Cliche? I honestly have to disagree there. The most cliche game in the series has to be V - the story was dull and predictable. VII had more plot twists in it than any game I’d played before at the time.

Not that I’m bashing your opinions, here. You have every right to dislike FFVII, but the reasons you’ve stated don’t really seem valid to me. And I still stand by FFVIII as the best FF :get it?:

Final Fantasy VIII. No doubt about it! Good animation, a moving storyline, lotsa cliffhangers! :stuck_out_tongue: Good charries…seems like the best to me!

…I was about to say, a board with this many members and based on RPGs should have had a thread like this LONG ago! How many of these threads have their been? Enough to call them “stereotypical threads”?

~Kasumi~

In an effort to discern the “best” ff game, you must go through a large array of assessments, and what-not…

FF1:
Pros: Choose your own characters and names and what-not, most customizable early FF game.
Cons: Story-line is such that if you don’t have some sort of hints, you are stuck wandering around until you bump into a story item… and the fact that your ‘main characters’ don’t have any lines…

FF2:
Pros: Excellent event-based story-line. Not afraid to include truly evil human villains (FF1’s Garland ain’t nothin’ compared to Palumecia’s emperor, or Paramekia as we Emu-lovers like to think of it as…)
Cons: Level-up system = MADNESS (for the most part). Storyline is somewhat cliche’d
Uncertainties: Too many tragic deaths, and storyline begs for a sequel (which is not likely to come out).

FF3:
Pros: Jobs System, excellent array of equipment. Bahamut can be summoned for the first time!!! (and he doesn’t look better until FF VII in my opinion). Magic spells can be equipped and unequipped. Dragoons can JUMP.
Cons: Some jobs are so incredibly weak that players lulled into using them will be disappointed. You are required to miniaturize yourself in several parts of the game in order to progress.
Uncertainties: Monks can actually REDUCE their attack power by equipping nunchunks (WTF?!) Counteracted because their unarmed abilities are so high anyway. Onionkids

FF4:
Pros: Most excellent story.
Cons: Out of many playable characters, must go with story-determined party at final battle.
Uncertainties: Created too many versions of this game to keep up with. (J-version/Hard Version, American EzVersion, J-version/EzVersion, and the PSX version with FMVs… ARGH!) Magic spells are learned by level rather than bought and equipped. Is this good or bad?

FF5:
Pros: Relatively good story; Ability system increases character customizability to previously unseen levels.
Cons: Story is somewhat cliche’d. Some of the towns have confusing layouts that keeps some gamers from getting certain spells only available at their shops.
Uncertainties: Double level-up syndrome (i.e. 2 or more ‘levels’ to keep track of on the same character) Is this good or bad?

FF6:
Pros: EXCELLENT story-line. Maximum Party determination (especially later in the game). Every character can learn magic.
Cons: Story seems to be a slight redo of FF2’s story-line, with a little bit of mix-and-match. Shadow’s tendency to run away after a battle.
Uncertainties: You can use magitek armor, but for some reason you can’t keep it after the story elements involving it are complete. Double level up syndrome to a lesser extent than in FF5. Technological Fantasy. Good or Bad?

FF7:
Pros: Excellent story-line. Maximum Party determination except for main character (after Midgar) Every character can use magic.
Cons: Materia System allowing all persons to use magic prevents them from maximizing their ability in the same way as FF6.
Uncertainties: I hate Gaia-esque storylines. Double-level up syndrome on approximately the same level as FF6… Technological Fantasy. Graphics outside FMVs and battles are comparatively miserable compared to graphics inside FMVs and battles. (it is a case of 'If you could do it there, why couldn’t you do it here?) This happened in other games, but was less noticeable because the other games it happened in were 2-d.

All games after this point are conjectural.

FF8:
Pros: ???
Cons: ???
Uncertainties: Technological Fantasy.

FF9:
Pros: ???
Cons: ???
Uncertainties: Highly ‘exagerrated’ animation method (such that a 16-yr old looks like he’s 13 for no good reason). The item-learning system.

FF10:
Pros: Best graphics yet.
Cons: ??? Given to understand game is too short.
Uncertainties: As uncertain as ever.

Given all this…

(runs numbers… calculates accordingly…)

I have come up with a tie between Final Fantasy 3 and Final Fantasy 6. Popular opinion states 6…
sigh
I guess I’ll say Final Fantasy 3. Ne’er let it be said I catered to Popular Opinion. Haha!

I’ve always been really fond of Final Fantasy Tactics. I don’t know why, maybe because of it’s diffrent battle system, but its definatly my favorite.

Originally posted by ~Kasumi~
How many of these threads have their been? Enough to call them “stereotypical threads”?

Yes. Dear gosh yes.

Originally posted by Chris StarShade
Cons: Out of many playable characters, must go with story-determined party at final battle.

I see that as a pro. FFVI and FFVII seemed more like strategy games than RPGs because you have an army to manage. Plus, this way, the story seems like it’s going somewhere rather than you forcing it to.

Originally posted by Chris StarShade
Magic spells are learned by level rather than bought and equipped. Is this good or bad?
Could be both. This way, magic-learning is not a challenge (bad), but makes magic less unwieldy than later FFs (good). Plus, keeps characters individual in battle (good), and prevents you from getting a rediculously powerful spell at a level that is inappropriate for it (good).

Originally posted by LunarCry
[b]‘Sucks’? >.> Sounds like a dodgy description to me. The materia system is probably the most flexible magic system in the series, suitable for beginners and masters of the RPG genre, and capable of being fine-tuned to the highest description.

How about Hojo? A completely amoral scientist who injected his own son with Jenova cells for pure experimental purposes, killing Lucrecia in the process?

Aside from that, I prefer villains who aren’t just ‘evil’. Villains who you can empathise with make for a more intricate and involving storyline.

They were top of the range when FF7 first came out, and are still pretty good considering the game’s age.

Cliche? I honestly have to disagree there. The most cliche game in the series has to be V - the story was dull and predictable. VII had more plot twists in it than any game I’d played before at the time.

Not that I’m bashing your opinions, here. You have every right to dislike FFVII, but the reasons you’ve stated don’t really seem valid to me. And I still stand by FFVIII as the best FF :get it?: [/b]

I thought Hojo was cool,just like Rufus and Sepheroth,Reno was the coolest.

And yes the graphics were slightly a bit bad for there time.

Materia messs with your stats too much.(everyone is virtually the same).

Like I said its a good game but the worst in the series.

Actually, the graphics for FF7 were top of the line upon release, and paved the way for fully polygonal games in the future.

I don’t think 7 is the worst of the series. I think the Materia system removes a lot of the character distinctity - in that in battle, all the characters could be the same, and in many cases are. The materia system also limited the stats of the characters far too much I think, because by the end of the game, the amount of materia you have is somewhat counterproductive to your characters in a number of ways, and by this time you’ve become so accustomed to having it that to take it off leaves you feeling naked.

There is an upside to Materia:

It provides a sort of “checks and balances”.

By decreasing strength when equipping magic, it keeps you frim being “all-powerful”(at least until Knights of the Round and Quadra Magic).

Here’s a list from best to worst (In my opinion) 1-5

1. Final Fantasy 3/6 (Nice Story)
  2. Final Fantasy 8 (Nice Battle System)
  3. Final Fantasy 10-2( ROCKS! Only played demo;unusual battle system)
  4. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance(Gay Story line, similar battle system to the original, but still fun to play, considering its for GBA)
  5. Final Fantasy Tactics(See Number 4)

Hey, Starshade, great analysis!
You know, I’ve been here for over a year, yet I don’t remember ever having listed my opinion on the various FFs… Oh well, might as well do so now:

FF1-3 (and Mystic Quest): Not played them yet, hope to do so someday! (Note: I’m not done with FFTactics Advance yet.)
FF4: Great characters (Cecil might be my favorite FF hero); poor graphics (well, it IS an old game). System felt primitive and cumbersome… tho I liked the fact there was a limit to how much you could carry and equip (more realistic.) In conclusion: I liked it, but not as much as other FFs.
FF5: Graphics were old too, yet, they had a certain fun charm to them… characters and story not terribly memorable, except that the idea of two worlds merging was pretty cool. LOVED the Job system- I had each character master a DIFFERENT set of abilities, making each truly unique in battle! Lots of hidden stuff to find. Conclusion: I think this was the FF that was most fun to actually PLAY!
FF6: GREAT cast of characters, almost every one being memorable! Pretty good story, too (both funny AND serious.) Poor graphics, but also with a charm to them, like FF5’s. System was OK, tough having any character learn any spell takes away from their uniqueness, I think. Conclusion: One of the best FFs, no doubt.
FF7: Great graphics, most of the time. Definitely THE most memorable cast of characters in FF. Loved the Materia and Limit Break systems (except that, again, anyone could learn any spell.) Story was very strong, despite disappointing in some spots (Aeris died too early, in my opinion, and I don’t care for uncertain endings.) FUN minigames. Still one of the best FFs ever.
FF8: Graphics superior to FF7. Story NOT memorable (Heck, I had more fun collecting the summons than following the story!) Characters OK. Second-best FF Summon system; not care for the Junctioning system. Triple Triad was ok. Conclusion: an average FF (still better than most other RPGs.)
FFTactics: Story TOO convoluted and grim. Graphics cute but totally inappropiate to the story. Good strategy combat system. Great Job system ( I played the game a second time just to get ALL the Jobs.) Characters… not memorable. Conclusion: I enjoyed it ONLY for the battles and Jobs; definitely my least-favorite FF.
FF9: Great graphics. Characters OK. No memorable systems. Average story. Card game not as fun as FF8’s. Conclusion: Average FF.
FFX: INCREDIBLE graphics. Story confusing in spots, but had many good touching and thrilling moments. Great characters. Best Summoning system of all FFs; sphere grid system OK. Don’t care for the minigames. Conclusion: better-than-average FF, but not as great as the hype said.

Hmm… It seems that, in my opinion, FFX had the best graphics, FF7 the best story and characters, and FF5 was the best to play. But the best all-around game was… FF6!!!