Well shit -_-

Square Enix has announced that two of its most famous games, Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, are coming to cellular phones. Final Fantasy will be a port of the WonderSwan Color version, while Dragon Quest will feature a port of the Super Famicom version.

The games will be made available on cell phones through the iMode and DoCoMo service plans. There is no solid Japanese release date set, and North American and European versions are unconfirmed.

-Famitsu via RPGamer

A few things:

1. DQ got a Super Famicom re-release? I didn’t know that.
  2. Cell phones are now powerful enough to run 16-bit games. It makes me feel old to think that there was a time when you couldn’t play games on phones… or carry phones around with you, for that matter.
  3. I think that Square Enix’s decision is a good one, as that’s tapping into a market they may not have reached.

I remember the days when JUST carrying around a phone was considered futuristic. I feel so old.

DQ 5 and 6 were on the Super Famicom.

Originally posted by Sun Demon
DQ 5 and 6 were on the Super Famicom.

There was also a SNES re-release of DQ1-3.

I’m from the time when the game with the highest minimum requirements was Galagha. Just seeing this makes me feel a mathuselah (I know I mispelled it).

Dude, just think, in two or three years Game Boy and cell phones may even have fused into a single device if companies find a market for such a toy.

Dude, just think, in two or three years Game Boy and cell phones may even have fused into a single device if companies find a market for such a toy.

You mean the N-Gage?

I think cell phones have been around for over 19 years. They were just those big lunkers that look very much like the walkie talkie like things from WWII. In fact, they date back to at the very least 1973.

Then Donkey Kong and Mario Brothers date back to 1981 and 1983. Those probably had higher minimum requirements than Galaga (not to mention that Galaga was from 1981 while Ren was born in 1983).

I think I may have finally found a reason to purchase a cellphone.

Man, I gotta get a good cell phone, so I can play Final Fantasy anywhere… that’s pretty sweet.

I believe it. My cell has a log in screen and a full color display… How sweet would it be to be able to play FF on your cell while you’re on the train to work…

thinks about that

Did that just make me cross the line from “fan” to “looser”?

In my day, we played our video games on VIDEO GAME SYSTEMS, not our darn phones like you whippersnappers. AND WE LIKED IT THAT WAY!

Times were hard then, but we didn’t complain, no sirree, cuz we had VALUES back then, my boy, and–zzzzzzzzz…

^^Funny–

coming from a guy barely older than me :slight_smile:

Innocence, dunno if you’ve recognized it, but most of the regulars are 14-16 (maybe 17). You, Wil, and Kaiser are ancient geezers here. ^.^;;

My phone is a phone, not some newfangled game system.

Originally posted by Cala
[b]Innocence, dunno if you’ve recognized it, but most of the regulars are 14-16 (maybe 17). You, Wil, and Kaiser are ancient geezers here. ^.^;;

My phone is a phone, not some newfangled game system. [/b]

I know-- hence the “older than dirt” comment in my profile. :hahaha; Like I said in the other thread somewhere… I am old, I am lame…

when i wanna play a game in a train or something i’ll take my old school GB… not a phone

No idea about Enix, but Square’s record is not exactly a shining example of how to branch out.

coughcoughFFUcoughcoughSpritsWithincoughcough

I’ve never really wanted or needed a cell phone, and it’s just as well…I prefer playing games on my GBA.

I’ll probably just use my GBA, if only because I’m too lazy to keep track of another electronic device.

Originally posted by Megaman984
[b]I think cell phones have been around for over 19 years. They were just those big lunkers that look very much like the walkie talkie like things from WWII. In fact, they date back to at the very least 1973.

Then Donkey Kong and Mario Brothers date back to 1981 and 1983. Those probably had higher minimum requirements than Galaga (not to mention that Galaga was from 1981 while Ren was born in 1983). [/b]

Er… I just checked, and you’re right. Makes me feel less old now.

I’m trying to remember the first games I played. I lived in the atari era and right now I remembered that game in which a toad/chicken has to cross the road.