"We" have an announcement...

LOL Rud!

The Internet is a great place to meet people. But I’d be careful about developing your relationship online. You spend so much time talking to each other online, that when you finally meet in real life, you discover - it’s different. I would say that the more time you spend having online conversations, the more you sabotage your chance at a relationship out of the Internet. This is just what I think, not what I know from experience, so don’t place too much of a premium on what I’ve just said - my suggestion would be to find people who have successfully carried Internet romantic relationships(or any Internet relationship) over into their real lives, and ask them for advice.

I think that the keyword for online relatinoships is TRUST

The Really Ultimate Standing Trick.

That made no sense.

Yeah, it’s mostly a matter of trust like with any relationship except it’s more strained, the other person being so far away sometimes it’s almost saddening/depressing to think of the distance. Plus if the seedling of doubt enters your mind and heart and you lose the trust then you can be overcomed by doubt in a matter of days. A phone and a phonecard is your best ally in this kind of relationship, because text is no replacement for the voice. If something troubles either of you, call the person, else it’ll just eat you up from inside and it’s just needless suffering compared to just putting the problem on the table and talking about it.

And this, I know by experience, so that’s my two cents of advice and good luck.

Congrats, I hope that you relationship lasts for as long as you want it to. :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Zero
[b]Yeah, it’s mostly a matter of trust like with any relationship except it’s more strained, the other person being so far away sometimes it’s almost saddening/depressing to think of the distance. Plus if the seedling of doubt enters your mind and heart and you lose the trust then you can be overcomed by doubt in a matter of days. A phone and a phonecard is your best ally in this kind of relationship, because text is no replacement for the voice. If something troubles either of you, call the person, else it’ll just eat you up from inside and it’s just needless suffering compared to just putting the problem on the table and talking about it.

And this, I know by experience, so that’s my two cents of advice and good luck. [/b]

Ah yes, so true.Text does not substitute for voice, voice is much more personal…I mean you can say anything you want online, but in person or on the phone, it’s a bit different.Do your parents know, CC? If they do or don’t, that can significantly decrease (or really increase) the difficulty in maintaining a relationship such as that. If the parentals know, you’re free to do what you want, but if they don’t…I know a lot of parents out there, including mine frown upon meeting someone online.

Both of my parents know. Mom says she alright with it and dad didn’t say much.

My mother, my sister, and two of my cousins know. I’m gonna tell my father someday soon, when he’s in a good mood, but I have a feeling he’d overreact. My mother doesn’t mind at all, my sister could care less, and my cousins don’t mind it either.

This’s the perfect time to say…Welcome to the RPGC Family Tree, Orak.

Thanks… :slight_smile:

Hi hi,
Well, I guess I have some things to say.
First off, I hope it goes well for you guys, and I know that you are taking heed to the warnings that the people here have been giving, but I’m just gonna add a little bit more for you guys from a fellow Christian’s perspective.

Ya, ya, ignore this if you aren’t a Christian and it won’t bother you.

1. Stating the obvious - Keep the relationship God-centered.
  • It’s cool that you two could be there for each other in tough times, and that’s the way any relationship should be, but don’t forget about God, He’s even more important than the other person could ever be.
  1. I know you guys are not able to really “be” with each other that much, but remember to take it slow. If you two are both saving yourself for marriage, don’t talk about things that you know will lead to trouble when you two ARE together.

2. Keep it a friendship first and foremost. I think Urk, Rud, and Sil have pretty much said this, but I’ll just add to it also. Strong relationships last longer with an even stronger friendship at the base. It’s a great way to develop the trust too.

I have a “girl” of sorts, and we’ve liked each other for quite some time. (we met IRL tho, so no advice on the internet thing, sorry.) But we both made the decision not to date until after we’d graduated from highschool. Why? It’s more trouble than it is worth, even if it is meant to be in the end. It just adds stress.

We’re two years apart in age, but three grades apart, so… you guessed it, another 3 years before we actually date. But by that time we’ll know each other well enough to skip a lot of the awkwardness. (I don’t think it is possible to skip all of it though. :hahaha; )

Anyway, the reason I told you that is kinda simple. Alexis (the girl mentioned above) and I, strange as it is, are MOST LIKELY going to wind up marrying each other, and that’s why it is worth the effort and the patience.

I guess what I’m trying to say is this, if you honestly don’t think (in any way) that this is leading to marriage, I’d say break it off before it REALLY gets started. What’s the point of dating someone you aren’t planning on marriage unlessyou want heartbreak?

I know a lot of people’s views are different on this. ie, date lots of people so when the right one comes along you’ll know what not/to do etc. But the above is just mine.

I really do hope for the best for you two, but just wanted to add some reminders and encouragement for ya!

Seeya 'round.

:enguard: stabs your so-called “God”

:enguard: : I would never do that!

Shut up Cecil. Nice speach there Obadiah. Though:

Me= not Christian

Originally posted by Seiryuu
:enguard: stabs your so-called “God”

That was spit in the face of Believers and non-believers alike. Smooth move jackass.

Seiryuu, if you don’t believe it’s fine, heck, I don’t believe either. However beliefs are to be respected nonetheless, read the rules and consider yourself warned.

Thanks for the advice (and warning) Obadiah. Don’t worry, both of us know to keep things God-Centered. :slight_smile:

Yea, that wasn’t cool.

it was ok. just an expression of his feelings.

No it was not okay, it was insultive, and that’s not okay.

…How was it insultive?