Watcha playing now?

On a whim I went back and picked up my last playthrough of FFVII and, without too much difficulty, beat Emerald and Ruby Weapons for the first time ever. I wasn’t particularly prepared for it. I just made use of some HP Plus materia to enable All Lucky 7s, Limit Breaks, and some megalixers for Emerald, then took the Master Summon I got from that to and added Mime to spam Hades/KOTR at Ruby.

It wasn’t all that challenging, after all.

Congrats on that accomplishment! Beating those two is no easy task without endless grinding.

The last time I played through FF7 I played a Solo Cloud challenge, using only Cloud (unless he was not in the story which wasn’t often, in which cases I’d use Yuffie). Beating Ruby and Emerald Weapon was challenging as Solo Cloud until I just got a bunch of Counter Attack materias. I’ll have to look at my build again sometime but I was pretty much able to counter any attack and deal a bunch of damage to him at the same time.

I didn’t find it all that difficult, to be honest.

My highest level was 64 when I took on Emerald- I had two level-4 HP Plus materia equipped to Cloud and Yuffie, and one on Tifa. Enemy Skill on Tifa for Big Guard, and Ultima/Quadra Magic, and W-Item on Yuffie.

I started the battle off with All Lucky 7s and an Omnislash for 606,606 damage, then drank megalixers and hero drinks any time my limit meters weren’t full, until he died.

Ruby went down even easier. Hades, then Knights of the Round, then Mime. Repeat until victory. Ruby got all of two attacks in over the whole battle.

Yeah. You get so many crazy tools in that game that you can still demolish the Weapons without knowing their gimmicks, like Emerald’s ‘does 1111 HP * number of Materia equipped damage to a person’ attack that hits everybody, or the ‘go into the Ruby fight with two characters KOd so that he’ll immediately bury his arms’ gimmick.

But seriously, the biggest challenge in FFVII is achieving 100% approval rating during the march in Juon, followed closely by getting Aeris to both learn and use her Great Gospel Limit Break.

beating the game in under 3 hours is also a challenge… it has been done on the new PC version, but a save file glitch was exploited to achieve it. it was still cool to watch though at this year’s AGDQ

other than that, I finally decided to give Wild Arms a try. not a bad game to say the least, though looking back it feels very primitive as far as graphics goes. I mean, I look at classic NES and SNES games and don’t feel that way because the style holds up even today, but looking at some early Playstation games just don’t seem as appealing to me as they once did. I’m not even a graphics guy either when it comes to games… maybe I’m just getting old :smiley:

Nah. Early 3D looked like complete ass back then as it does now. I can hardly look at the Granstream Saga with spending a couple minutes trying to figure out what that mass of green geometry coming at my hodge podge of polygons is (turns out its a lizard).

Then again, a lot of early PSX games make SuperNES Star Fox look good by comparison. Which is sad when you consider what some of the 2D sprite based games were able to achieve during that era.

2D ages better than 3D, which is why people look at PS1 era games with varied levels of nostalgia.

I could replay Megaman X4 any day of the week, or Castlevania SOTN, but replaying Megaman Legends…uuuugh. So blocky. :confused:

It’s not just early 3D. If you’ve ever been into the Elder Scrolls, try playing Skyrim for a while and then fire up Oblivion. I mean, wow. >_> Uriel Septim’s face is the most terrifying thing I’ve ever seen in my life.

I know what you mean there. Any of the first 6 MMX games are still nice to look at, as with SOTN, but damn, looking at Crash Bandicoot or Spyro just seems as you said, blocky. Not saying that those are bad games because they’re not.

But the weird thing is that I don’t feel that way when playing Super Mario 64 or Ocarina of Time (though playing Quest 64 or WCW/nWo Revenge does make me feel that way). Maybe it’s just the game itself.

Might be related. Mario 64 still has really solid gameplay which helps that cause too.

I have not played Ocarina in years, maybe I should get the 3DS remake sometime…

early 3d lol

Concept art

Reality

OoT3D is pretty solid and looks a lot better than the n64 version, plus the Master Quest is a nice addition. Majora’s Mask 3D is coming out soon as well (though I recently replayed that game and remembered why I hated it so much… not sure why I’m buying it but then again I am married to a Zelda Fangirl) :smiley:

The reality isn’t loading for me.

Though how anyone could mess up translating Obari’s art into PSX era polygons is beyond me. The guy only seems to draw in rectangles, triangles and cones. Maybe if the camera was locked at a 45 degree angle pointed upward, it might?

Anyways, my contribution to the subject at hand:

Do you recognize the game?

FF4, I did not know the PS1 port had cutscenes however. I played only the SNES version until the GBA one came out, and then the DS one.

Not sure why the reality pic ain’t loading for you, no go even via URL? http://www.game-art-hq.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Battle-Arena-Toshinden-Playstation-Screenshot-Sofia-Win-Pose.jpg

It’s weird to say this, but I haven’t played much video games lately. Most of the games I want wind up being Nintendo-brand games on the 3DS and the Wii U, and they’re games that I’m sure I won’t hate, but I’m not sure if I want to pay for them, especially since Nintendo games always seem to be more expensive. I just don’t have the money. Most of the new games that interest me right now are coming out on PS4 and XBoxOne, and I don’t have either of those.

I still play League of Legends occasionally, and I still play Vampire Savior (Darkstalkers 3) competitively…also on occasion. And, although I’m currently burned out on Dragon WARRIOR games, I’m technically playing through DW3 on my phone.

League’s ranked play this year is just a lot of BS. so many trolls keeping good players in lower ranks that it makes competitive play unplayable.

As you can see though, you aren’t missing much in terms of added content to the PSX port (also the cutscenes only show up after leaving the game run on the title screen for too long and beating the game gets you the full one, its very awkward to watch though since they did zero mo cap and everything’s just sliding around). The only reason why it was considered the definitive version for so long was because it was the unedited Super Famicom version instead of the West’s Easy Type, and it didn’t inherit any ATB bugs from the Wonderswan Color port (and to be frank, none of Squeenix’s GBA FF additions were ever not tedious or added much to the core game).

As for reality, it took going to the site directly and clicking on the thumbnail to view it.

Titty Ninja Edit: And of course, now that I’ve gone to the site directly, my computer is finally loading the picture properly.

As for why I couldn’t initially see it, its probably a browser/PC issue on my end though since it occasionally doesn’t like images and thumbnails (and can barely run Youtube videos, like takes 5-20 minutes to load a video and up to 4 hours to go through a single 30 minute video due to all the loading, buffering and freezing).

Right now I’m playing FF 13.

I’m only 4 chapters in so it might be premature, but who wrote the dialogue for this shit? I hate every character. And there’s THREE sequels to this game? Between Bitch, Cheesy Lines, Whiny Pregnant Pauses, Fake-Almost-British-Accent, and Funny Black Guy, it’s like George Lucas wrote the script. If the battles weren’t fun I would ask for a refund from Steam.

Also SG, add me on league of lesbians. ClessA

Its obvious that the game’s development was rushed, as they only had a couple of months to write the game’s plot.

It gets worse as Chapter 9 is the first point in the game where the writers basically ignored everything that happened prior to Chapter 9 to start shoehorning the plot into the direction they think they want it to go in (this is not the only time the game does this, btw).

Fortunately, the other FFXIII games have hardly anything to do with this, or any other FFXIII game (unless you go all DaVinich Code on all the side material and data logs, then there’s a ridiculously pretentious plot tying it all together).