Unexpected consequences.

I hope this hasn’t been posted before. I’m <i>seriously</i> paranoid about making new threads.

<a href=“http://www.livejournal.com/users/anniesj/331112.html” target="_blank">A word to the wise.</a>

It seems pretty extreme to get a permanent FBI file because of satire. Have things always been this strict in America or are they being paranoid because of the election? Must have been pretty surreal to have Secret Service agents show up like that.

The link isn’t working.

I’m glad I don’t live in America; with all the satire I’ve written about George W. Bush I would be sitting in Gutanamo Base.

Back in the USSR!

I don’t know what to do about that - it works for me, but it does take quite a while to load.

the Secret Service showed up on my mother’s front

You have GOT to be kidding me.

due to certain policies that a certain administration has instituted, I could now be placed on the government’s “no-fly” list, could be subject to random searches of private property without my knowledge or permission, and could be subject to wiretapping surveillance.

And the people of your country are actually going to vote for this fascist?

No. People did get investigated during the McCarthy era for saying things that the government didn’t like. However, the government didn’t have the technical capabilities it does today. These current goings-on came about because of the “Patriot Act,” which expands the power of the federal government over the lives of individuals more than any previous government act.

Welcome to Oceania!
Ignorance is Strenght!
Freedom is Slavery!
War is Peace!

It works now. Must’ve been a glitch.

due to certain policies that a certain administration has instituted, I could now be placed on the government’s “no-fly” list, could be subject to random searches of private property without my knowledge or permission, and could be subject to wiretapping surveillance.

Just another reason why I am voting for Kerry. The Patriot act sucks. It is just one of the many things that makes America suck. I have been subjected to random searches, and I have had my phone wiretapped. and I’m sure the FBI has seen my library records and decided that because of certain books I’ve readcoughAnarchistsCookbookcough CoughModernDayMarxismCough that I shouldn’t fly, because I am a “Liberal” which this administration throws around like a swear word. These guys probably know how I feel about the current regime as well. And just yesterday, the RNC left a recorded message by Dubya himself, taken from the second debate. Funny they’d leave a message probably knowing this house is full of people voting for JK, trying to sway us into their axis of evil.

Excuse me, I need to go paint a portrait of our current president in oils…AND FUCKING SET IT ON FIRE!

I find it extremely appalling that people are no longer able to speak against the government anymore without worrying about whether they’ll be tossed into prison for it…goddammit, people came to this country to get away from that kind of shit! >O

This part of the database is temporarily down for maintenance. Try again in a few minutes.

I’ll try again in… a few minutes.

That… sucks. Have I got News for You wouldn’t last ten seconds in the USA… Dubya needs removing from power as soon as possible.

Has anyone forwarded this post to www.michaelmoore.com ? :wink:

They are legally able to do this kind of shit!?!? In the country labeled as leader of the motherfucking free world?

EDIT: Awesome sig, BTW.

You don’t know how lucky you are boy!

I will post this once and once only, seeing as how I don’t like posting in political threads. If you think Americans live in a “police state” then you are wrong. If we were living in a police state Michael Moore, Al Franken, and thousands of others would be dead. This is simply not the case and too often people like to throw around the word fascist.

Here is the Patriot Act, In it’s fullest. Basically it gives the federal government powers that law enforcement has used for years, though I believe it needs to be reworked.

I think what is even creepier is that indymedia had its hard drives stolen by the FBI, and their hoster (rackshack i believe) was put under a gag order. That is some scary shit, that they will go after people who speak against them online.

Loaded for me now. For some reason, I’m not surprised anymore.

Since when did law enforcement officials have the ability to offer “rewards” for helping to “combat terrorism.”

So could I turn Shin into the government for cash? :D:D:D:D

The government never had the power to detain you indefinately without a trial if you were suspected of ANY crime before the Patriot Act (the ONLY other time this happened, I think, was when Lincoln suspended Habeus Corpus in the Civil War).

And just for the record, after doing some factchecking on Michael Moore’s Farenheit 9/11, he is doing a disservice to liberals by uh… stretching… many of his ‘facts’.

http://www.factcheck.org/article131.html

And check out a lot of the other articles- both Kerry and Bush are not exactly getting their facts straight (looking at Bush’s though, the things he lies about seem to be WORSE).

Which is why I’m voting Kerry without being too enthusiastic about it.