=/

To me, it seems that Cidolfas is referring to romantic love. He is simply observing that romantic love includes an emotional componant and associated mental state, and that the word “love” is commonly used to refer to this emotional and mental state, which can occur independant of a real foundation for it. That’s why it’s possible to have, for instance, people who feel that they are in “love” with pop stars who are otherwise strangers to them.

Originally posted by Sir Percival
Cidolfas is perhaps distinguishing between romantic love and love for a fellow human being, or brotherly love. Unfortunately, English uses the word ‘love’ to represent both without further explanation, although languages such as Classical Latin and Greek have clearly-defined words for both (romantic love: Greek eros, Latin amor vs. brotherly love: Greek agape, Latin caritas).

Perhaps, although in the context of the discussion, it would make more sense if he were talking about romantic love.

Out of random curiosity, what’s the third word for love? Completely irrelevant to this discussion, but I saw it for both Greek and Latin just a few days ago and can’t remember (and my handy Latin-English dictionary only has amor listed).

This is compleatly natrual. What are ones children if not a commodity to trade around and increase ones personal influence with? Nod, nod

Yep, I am leaving on Monday and might not be here for a long time.

Now let’s see if i can 100 Posts in 4 days >:)

Originally posted by Nightblade
[b]Yep, I am leaving on Monday and might not be here for a long time.

Now let’s see if i can 100 Posts in 4 days >:) [/b]

Go for it! :hahaha;

Yes, I see that now.

Demigod, I do not know of any other words for love in Latin, but if you remember or find the word, please let me know.

Arranged marriages, especially the forced variant, are a sick abomination. The people who set them up only show their complete disrespect for their children. No parent has the right to make this decision for them. This only shows how disgusting those people are. They refuse to give any consideration to the feelings of the people directly involved, and that is intolerable.
People who try to enforce this practice treat their children as objects, as merchandise they can sell off. They should be beaten with a pointy stick until they bleed to death.
This is just wrong. You can’t just drag an adult into and force that adult to marry someone. The same way, the parctice of promising children to each other at an early age, or even at birth is also absolutely repugnant. Love or no love, the decision to get married should be made by the people involved, not by scheming parents or crazed fanatics.
This is a violation of human rights, and it should be denounced.

As much as I think it’s horrible, it’s acceptable and common in other countries and societies though…even necessary. Though I can’t understand because it’s not my way of life. But what is ugly thing to one person is beautiful to another…

Originally posted by Manus Dei
No parent has the right to make this decision for them. This only shows how disgusting those people are. They refuse to give any consideration to the feelings of the people directly involved, and that is intolerable.

You’re assuming many things about the way these things work. Not every arranged marriage is without the consent of the people involved. I’m under the impression that nowadays if the people are adamantly against getting married, it probably won’t happen. I could be wrong, of course, but so could you.

People who try to enforce this practice treat their children as objects, as merchandise they can sell off.

Or maybe they think that they know what’s best for them and their children. Values are different in these societies. Having a stable background and a good living is just as important, if not more important, than eternal happiness with your chosen one.

Love or no love, the decision to get married should be made by the people involved, not by scheming parents or crazed fanatics.

Like I said earlier, the children generally don’t mind all that much, because in those sorts of societies, people are pretty much the same in any case. There isn’t the whole scope of individuality that you get in Western nations. So in that case, the parents probably DO know better than the children, since they’ve been around longer, know the social and financial norms, know the families involved, and try to guarantee their child a good life.

I’m not saying that this is true for every arranged marriage, but you’ve just said that a large percentage of the human population should be impaled on a stick because of wide-sweeping assumptions you’re making about their moral character. Not everyone has the same values you do.

Having now reconsidered arranged marriages, I guess that I accept them so long as there is consent from the two persons who are being married.

Arranged marriages aren’t all that uncommon. Let’s look at people who get married to get citizenship (I know some -_-).

Anyway, I have to agree with Cid, despite how I disagree with the notion of the arrangement of a marriage. If 2 people want to get married, whatever the reason may be, its their own damn business. However, if they don’t want to and they’re forced, that’s a different story, which is what NB’s situation seems to be (at least, his cousin’s)

I think that I will sing to myself about… La boobies de la Cala.

Ok, I realize that that was rather random for this discussion, but it nevertheless seemed strangely appropriate.

Originally posted by Sir Percival
[b]Yes, I see that now.

Demigod, I do not know of any other words for love in Latin, but if you remember or find the word, please let me know. [/b]

Maybe one of these?

adamo: to fall in love with, find pleasure in.
diligo: to choose out, esteem highly, prize, love.

Originally posted by Cless Alvein
[b]Maybe one of these?

adamo: to fall in love with, find pleasure in.
diligo: to choose out, esteem highly, prize, love. [/b]

I was thinking of nouns, not verbs, but those work. adamare derives from amare, so it carries the same sense of love as amor. There is no noun which I can find which corresponds with the verb diligere, although the gerund, diligendum, can basically act as one. I have never seen this second verb used for another human being in any Latin text which I have read, but it could work.