Tinky Winky – Gay or just plain stupid?

Whats gay about an upside down triangle? Or the color purple? Or a high pitched voice? Hell, Elmo has a high pitched voice. If Elmo was purple would he be gay too?

And damn, why is this thread so popular?

Cuzz it has the word “gay” in the title.

I think it was actually blue, not purple. Anyway, from what I remember there was a place discovered by some traders (the Azores?) where there were trees whose flowers/fruit/whatever could be ground to make really cheap blue dye, 'specially when you shipped 'em in bulk. In one of the first episodes of corporate counter-espionage, they protected their trade secret by spreading rumors that the world was flat and that by sailing too far out (the Azores are to hell and gone away from the nearest land) you could fall off and, you know, die.

Art History class is all kinds of awesome. Well, so long as your teacher is a day younger than God, a Knight of Malta and possesses more knowledge recallable without textual aids than you could learn in a lifetime.

Yes. Do not challenge the infinite wisdom of the Great Unwashed.

And damn, why is this thread so popular?

It has the virtues of being percieved as controversial, played out so all the major arguments are there for the plagarising, old enough that many people will have forgotten (or never heard of) it, and not old enough to be completely forgotten to the annals of controversy history. It’s a license to troll.

Well, I’ve overanalyzed this enough. I’m going to go eat digestive biscuits and read Dr. Bernofsky’s book on Cat Eating.

Wow, dude are you serious? You made it into college?! lolzzzzzz /witoh my

This thread is popular because we really have nothing better to do… well, I went for a picnic, but even I have to come home sometime.

:kissy:

Triangle. Symbol for the Trinity. Purple. Color of Christ. Odd. Odd as Jesus was perceived to be back in his time. Fucked up voice. Uh… He’s speaking Arimathean. There we go. Tinky Winky is BBC’s subtle support for Christ. See how we can generalize and make absurd leaps of logic?

And why would it matter to gay people, who aren’t too keen on having children, whether or not there’s a gay character on a childrens television show?

By and large I suspect it doesn’t.

Is Jerry Falwell gay, by the way? Did I miss a news item?

Kraken: the color was red. Even before the romans, it’s been a symbol of status because of the cost of the dye. It needed amonia (back then, extracted from human urine) to be produced, so the clothes also smelled really bad. But there were peoples in the mediterranean which gathered red ink from sea mollusks, and this ink didn’t smell as bad. Reached higher prices.

Then, the portuguese explorers found Brazil. Brazil is originally the name of a very live tone of red, which is the red coal and metals get when they are ‘red hot’. They named the country so because there was a species of tree here with so much red pigment that it’s trunk is naturally red in some specimens. Even the ones with brown trunks show a red core when you cut through them. These trees’ trunks were wasy to transport nearly intact to Europe too. And they covered an area bigger than nowaday’s rain forest. In short, there was so much red dye easily available that it became cheaper than air, and then red wasn’t a symbol of power anymore.

I do not see what is so bad about purple, anyways. Fun fact: in ancient Rome, purple was forbiddon to be worn by anyone except the emperor, and senators, too, I think.

Anyways, who really cares if there is a gay cartoon character? Does it really matter?

No, Angst is right, the color is PURPLE, but Ren is right to say it was extracted from mollusks.

Maquiladora: Motion to dismiss yer honor!

Merlin: On what grounds counsel?

Maquiladora: Relevancy, your honor.

Merlin: Sustained.