The Fourth Edition

I guess I can agree with that. I did have a problem with some of the multiclassing a while back, where you could have as many as you wanted, but once you’ve achieved 20 levels, you don’t do any more. So, while you’d technically be max level, your abilities would be so pitifully low, it’s laughable (if you’re like me and tries to go for a good balance rather than a specific role) But I guess I must have missed something (Neverwinter Nights, or any DnD video game aren’t exactly the best translations of the old rules)

I guess that would be the same of the 4th ed hybrid classes. you may be a hybrid paladin/cleric but you wouldn’t be as good a defender, or as good a healer. “Jack of all, master of none” type thing. I guess it would work for the 5th party member. While there would be a role filled for each of the initial 4, it would be a good idea to have the 5th do its best to fulfil as many roles as it can.

I think I’m rambling now

Not at all. One of the problems of D&D classes as originally envisioned was that they were TOO specialized: the Fighter fought well, but couldn’t use any magic; The wizard had his powerful spells, but couldn’t heal (for no good reason) and was an utter wimp in close combat; the Thief was good at sneaking around and nothing else; etc. This forced the players to have to take certain “roles” even if they didn’t want to. Actually, it’s the other way around- it’s the GM’s job to make sure the adventures he makes fit the needs of his players, and if they all want to, say, play fighters, then he should not use curses that need magic to be fixed, provide them with plenty of healing items, etc. Of course a smart GM would also create NPCs of other classes to both help the PCs when needed, and maybe inspire them via example to try different classes later. :wink:

Forgotten Realms: The Fourth Edition Version

I must admit I was quite surprised to see this book. I was under the impression that Eberron (discussed above) was going to be the new D&D’s official setting. Then again, the Realms were THE D&D setting for many, many years, and still has many fans, so I guess it makes sense they would continue to use it.

…Except… this version has changed. A LOT.

First of all: remember how I pointed out (in my review of the new Manual of the Planes) how there was a new design to the D&D Multiverse? Well, the new FR setting uses it too- but it explains that it was CAUSED by the death of Mystra, the goddess of magic! Borrowing a page from DC comics’ Crisis on Infinite Earths, they had this incident literally change everything on the planes so that it resembles the standard 4th Edition cosmos now! For example, the Positive and Negative Planes are gone, and in their places stand the Realms of Faerie and Shadows, respectively. OK, I guess that’s acceptable (though it does avoid using the new D&D cosmic origin, that is, Primordials versus Gods). Basically what they’re saying is that yes, these ARE the same Forgotten Realms from earlier versions… except everything has massively changed! (Why not just reinvent the whole thing?) ENTIRE new lands now exist, most apparently switched in from “Abeir” a previously-unseen parallel planet to Toril (where the Realms are.) This was also a way to get the new player races, like the Draconians, into Toril.

Further, the time of the setting has been moved up to a HUNDRED years after the original setting; this means that most of the original characters are now gone (though presumably those with longer-than-human lifespans could be around.) There was NO mention in the book of Elminster, The Symbul, The Seven Sisters, Drizzt or any of the other major FR personas. In short, this setting doesn’t resemble the old Realms very much…

Not that I’m saying it’s not a good setting! There are now new FR-based playable races (Drows and Genasi); new classes, new paths etc. And plenty of places and campaign ideas. More importantly, this is a more “traditional” High Fantasy setting than Eberron is, for those who prefer it that way.

My only problem is the idea that this is the SAME Toril as in the earlier supplements. Why make such sweeping changes? Why not just say, “This is the 4th Edition version, no relation to the previous one?” I’m sure many fans of the original setting must be cheesed.

On the other hand, if you don’t care about that, then this book will very useful for your 4th Ed Campaigns. (It has some swell art too!)

but it explains that it was CAUSED by the death of Mystra, the goddess of magic!
Eh, it’s not the first time. So who dispenses magic now?

True, there have been other cataclysms in the Realms before- but not of this magnitude! I know it’s just an excuse to revise the setting, but again, couldn’t they have left the previous version alone, for those who preferred it?

I admit I miss Elminster, Author Avatar Mary Sue that he was. And Drizzt, and Blackstaff, and-

-I suppose they could still be introduced- in ANOTHER book. (Yeesh, TSR, these things are EXPENSIVE, you know? Try including everything relevant in one book!)

Anyway, I don’t know who is in charge of magic right now, I couldn’t find it in my first browsing of the book (there might not be ANYBODY in charge, which would explain all the chaos magic still rampant). I’ll let you know if I find out.

Before I get to my next 4th Edition book review, one quick comment: Remember how I mentioned above (in my Eberron review) how impractical it is to have a TWO books for every campaign, the Player’s and the Dungeon Master’s? Well, they did it again, with Forgotten Realms- except the player’s book contains NOTHING BUT REPRINTS from the character sections from the main FR book- it even has the same art! As far as I could see there was NO difference at all! Why then bother buying it?? Yes, I get that the players aren’t supposed to see the DM’s section, but in that case, why not sell the two books TOGETHER in a bundle? Why sell hardcover editions separately? Oh, right- TO MAKE MORE MONEY! I’m sorry, but this is blatant exploitation. Remember that the three basic books (that you need to play D&D) cost about 100$ (!!) together. So now, to play the D&D FR campaign I also need to buy two more books, one of which has NO new material?? Screw that!

OK, now on to my review of:

Dragon Magazine Annual #1

Those of you even slightly familiar with D&D known that DRAGON Magazine was the heart of its fandom; not only it was the source of ideas for campaigns and game-related news; it was a way for the fans to communicate with the people behind the game, and with each other, at a time when the Web was not even a dream. The D&D fandom has always been very interactive; a comment on a letters page might lead to an article that could lead to an actual addition to the game (the Psionicist Class is but an example) and, for some, it even led to working for TSR and developing their own Official Campaigns. Thus, I was actually saddened to learn that Dragon became another victim of the dying magazine market (though I had lost contact with it years before) and now exists only as an online version.

However, judging by this book, it is still thriving creatively. :slight_smile: This (hardcover) collects the best material featured in the site from 2008 to 2009. Sure it’s expensive, and technically speaking none of the material in it is “official” (that I know) but it is still, for the most part, very good and worthy of being used in many player’s campaign. Even the stuff that I felt was just “OK” was still fun to read.

So, what is included in this book? Well, there’s more articles than I can remember right now, but among the highlights:

-A 4th edition version of Yeenoguh, the Demon Lord of the Gnolls (Hyena-men.) I’ve never cared much for this character; I think of all the Infernal Lords invented by D&D, he was among the lamest. This article however does the most it can to make it impressive, including creating several Gnoll characters to serve under him, from exarchs to priests. I’m still not very interested -the stuff they invented for Orcus and Demogorgon in the 4th Ed. Monster Manual is more creative in my opinion- but still, Yeenoghu definitely makes for an appropriate menace for Epic-level heroes.

-Speaking of Orcus, another article covers the followers of the Demon Lord of the Undead, and they actually found a way to make the cult stand out: they gave them a goal (beyond just spreading eeeevil) AND they had the cult split over how to carry it, thus creating multiple possible campaign adventures! The goal is to help Orcus replace the Raven Queen as the God of Death itself- by somehow fixing it so that undeath becomes the “default” existence after death for all beings! This is not just a menace to the Queen, but to all gods, since the realms of the afterlife would no longer receive the souls of the living! How to bring it about is the splitting factor; for example, some factions think they should turn the Queen herself into an undead, though others think that might just make her stronger. It’s actually interesting to see such evil characters (each faction comes with an already-developed leader) discuss (and clash over) how to achieve their goals. In addition, the article reinvents some long-forgotten undead monsters (like the Huecuva and the Eye Of Fear and Flame) in new, interesting ways.

• A similar article expands on the notion (that I complained about above) of the STARS being evil entities in this edition of D&D. It basically details how to make “pacts” (for the Warlock class) with several specific (made up, I think) stars and the legends surrounding them; though humorously, it seems even the warlocks themselves aren’t sure if the stars really are alive or if their pacts with them are successful. :stuck_out_tongue: It’s an interesting article, but I’m still annoyed by the lack of Good (or even Neutral) Star entities.

-My favorite article was the one about the Epic-Level Paths related to the Planes of the Multiverse. One of my favorite aspects of D&D is that it CAN go beyond the typical “slaying local monsters” setting of most High Fantasy and go much further. The options here vary with the plane- you could become part of the Shadowfell (The Plane of Shadow); or create your own Astral Realm; or develop the ability to travel through Time and Space; or become a Primordial (elemental Lord); or a Prince of Hell (not necessarily an evil one!) or the Punisher of the Gods (as in, you punish those who defy the gods- ANY of them) and others. I’m happy to see the potential of the D&D multiverse finally exploited (beyond the Planescape campaign setting that is.)

-Other articles in the Annual include: an adventure dealing with a Red Dragon that set itself as a tyrant; an underworld organization (think Mafia) composed of goblinoid races; a new player race from the Shadowfell that defies the plane’s apathy effect; the return of the Assassin Character Class (now available for any alignment!) and others.

In general, the 4th edition books are very good (if expensive) and (unlike the Forgotten Realms Player’s Guide) the Dragon Annual guide is very much worth it, with enough material and ideas to last for years. Oh, and it has excellent art as well! :slight_smile: Recommended.

I have started to rebuild my website http://rotd.rpgclassics.com from the ground up and I’m including sections for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th editions, but I will need help with the latter of the 2 since I don’t have much for them especially the 4th edition.

DN: nice to see you update the site. Sadly I’m too behind the times to help, except with the reviews of 4th edition books I’m posting here. Hope that helps you in some way.

Speaking of reviews, here’s ANOTHER one: Player’s Handbook 3!!

Most of the stuff in this edition is either new or optional, or both. Still, it includes the return of that old D&D standard- PSIONICS- out of place as they may feel in a pure fantasy setting, as well as another expansion of the new “legendary origins of the 4th edition universe” that actually works in justifying the existence of psionics in the setting, assuming you want them.

It also brings back the concept of the “Far Realm” which has been mentioned before but not used much except to explain the origin of Aberrations (the really freaky monsters like Mindflayers.) The Far Realm is a universe that is so alien that just looking into it can drive you mad- in other words, it’s the D&D version of the Cthulhu Mythos. According to this book, a “living gate” to this place existed long ago -before the Dawn War between the Primordials and the Gods- but it was closed and guarded. Three gods- Pelor, Ioun and an unidentified third deity- managed to peek through the portal and swore that they would never allow it to be opened. However it is hinted that it was looking at the Farm Realm that gave these gods psionic powers. The nameless god broke the pact, however -perhaps driven mad by the experience- and later shattered the gate, unleashing the Aberrations upon the physical universe. Since then, the madness of the Far Realm has been slipping into the main D&D universes, and psionics have become (relatively) more common; in fact Pelor and Ioun have been training beings in their use precisely to combat the aberrations (who often have psionic powers themselves.) While this is all up to each individual DM to interpret, this is an interesting addition to the new background that adds potential for campaigns without really changing anything.

New Races and Classes:

• The Shardminds are fragments of The Living Gate that were scattered across worlds when it was destroyed. In effect they are clouds of crystals that rearrange themselves into (barely) humanoid forms. They believe it is their mission to someday reform the gate so the influence of the Far Realm can be blocked again. Whether this is true or that would only open the portal further is a matter for each individual DM to decide. This is the least-human player character race I’ve ever seen in D&D; even Draconians are more “human” than the Shardminds. Still, they could be a fun new challenge to play.

• The Wilden are a relatively new race from the Feywild; basically they are half plant/half catmen.They believe that they were “birthed” by the Feywild as a response to the harmful influence of the Far Realm into the natural universe, and they spend most of their time hunting down aberrations. (One wonders WHY they were born so recently if the Gate was shattered so long ago- unless it means the warp into the other universe has gotten bigger recently.) This is the first vegetal PC race I’ve seen (unless you allowed Dryads as a playable race); they will probably be a favorite of druid-loving players.

-Two old monster races are back as player characters options now: Minotaurs and Githzerai. Gee, I wonder why D&D decided to allow minotaurs as PCs? Cough Warhammer Cough :stuck_out_tongue: As for the Gythzerai, they are related to the Githyanki, the evil race of (formerly human) slaves of the Minflayers. They split off from the 'yanki due a leadership schism centuries ago, and unlike them became a monastic, relative neutral race, though they did retain the capacity for psionics both races developed under Mindflayer care. The 'zerai make a lot of sense as PCs in a campaign that uses the new origin for psionics, and most of them are Monks, which is a class that is also reintroduced here. It makes sense for a race mostly composed of meditative hermits to develop psionics AND martial arts.

Monks have been around in D&D for decades despite their being yet another odd fit for a (mainly) European Fantasy setting. But hey, the original edition had ANYTHING their DMs though would be fun to use, up to an including dinosaurs! Besides, the game started in the 70s, and like the song went, Everybody Was Kung Fu Fighting back then. :wink: The class seems mostly the same as in earlier editions, except they have psionics now (what, not Chi powers? Oh well.) Oh, and of course the full-fledged Psion class is also reintroduced in this book. There’s also a variation (whose name escapes me now) that psionically manipulates emotions rather than thoughts.

Psionics and related creatures are NOT the only new material in this book; there are other new classes, but the day I was browsing the book I was in a hurry and couldn’t check them all out well; more on them later. I can tell you that there is a lot more stuff in the book, including, as Acenra surmised, the new Hybrid Class system that allows a player to start with TWO classes from the beginning instead of the having one class that adopts a few feats from other classes as you level up. Which system is better is a matter of opinion, but I like the fact that multi-classing is back in the game.

Overall, Player’s Handbook 3 can be considered entirely optional BUT it fits in well with what has been reinvented on the 4th edition so far and has many useful ideas. If you can afford it (on top of all the other D&D books you need to play) then go for it, but don’t worry if you can’t. Oh, the art is good too, though again it seems to have been entirely illustrated by ONE guy. At least it’s in full color.

Actually, the Monk didn’t really get its’ start until it was published in one of the late 70’s Dragon Magazines followed by the Ninja several publications later in one the Dragon Magazines. I think I may still actually have that publication.
They didn’t actually become the norm until 2nd edition when Gary & TSR published the Oriental Adventures Handbook.

No, I’m pretty sure the Monks were around in first edition Advanced D&D- I have some books from that time that mention them. They probably were not in the original, basic D&D, but were definitely in the first Advanced version.

you could be right. I just came across a 1st edition version for my Core Rules 2 program.
If you play 2nd edition still, finding ISOs of the Core Rules 2 & Core Rules 2 Expansion are a must

Monks were available (albeit broken, as I recall) in first addition advanced, I’m fairly certain. I have an old, old rulebook with monks that I believe is from first addition AD&D, but it’s possible I’m not correct.

I’ve got the three basic 3rd Ed books lying around if you need some info or questions answered (although I’m probably not the only one).

I should also point out that there was a noticeable 3.5 update during the middle of this period as well.

I’ve now downloaded all the source materials for 4e and daaaaaaaaaamn!
Alot has changed from 3.5 but for the better . . . so far . . .
I will be reading what I have and trying to start up a campaign. the file I downloaded along with the web sites I already frequent should give me ideas for a good starting base game.

I shall now resurrect this thread (how apropos :stuck_out_tongue: ) since I just browsed yet another new 4th Edition book, The Monster Manual 3 (wow they sure are churning them out fast!) and will now review it here.

This book should have been titled “The D&D 4th Edition Fiend Folio!” since a LOT of the monsters in it were first invented for that book; it even includes the fan-favorite Drow Goddess Lolth and the Elemental Princes of Evil! There’s new monsters as well, but for the most part everything is a reinvention of old D&D monsters- not that that’s a bad thing mind you. (For those of you who don’t know, the Fiend Folio was a monster book invented by British fans in the early days of the game. Some people disagreed over it’s canonicity but Gary Cygax accepted it and added some of his creations in as well. The book was also famous for having some rather weird monsters (including the flumps, the flying jellyfish creatures, which you might have seen in some issues of The Order of the Stick- they’re the talking pillow-things that keep having people fall on them as a recurring joke.) Sadly the flumphs themselves aren’t in this book. :frowning: )

Not all the old monsters are from the Folio, though. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw that the BASIC type of Elementals are only now being introduced! Say what? After all the use of elementalcreatures (including the godlike Primordials) the 4th edition has made from the start the ones you can summon with spells only show up NOW? I guess they were too busy inventing the NEW types. Sheesh.

What about new monsters? Well, the ones I liked best are the Apocalyptic Spells and the Star Spawn. The Spells are exactly that- magical spells used in ancient times (mostly during the war between Gods and Primordials) that have, over time, achieved sentience and now go around destroying things because… well, that’s what most monsters seem to do in 4th Edition, regardless of alignment (sigh). Still, the “flavor text” of some is truly interesting- for example one of them are crystals that contain the souls of Eladrin elves who were killed off by a spell because… one of the Fey lords was pissed that his paramour was not interested in him so he destroyed her favorite land out of spite. Ouch. Freeing the souls inside the shards can be a good reason for an epic quest.

The Star Spawn are monsters created by the stars. Again, the stars are considered evil, but at least there’s an explanation for that this time: the stars are actually portals to the Realm Beyond (read: Cthulhu-like insanity) and one of them is a Living Planet (!!) that the gods created and then chucked away into the Realm, and now it seeks revenge on the mortals whom the gods created. Oh and it has statistics, so yeah, you CAN actually fight a living planet in D&D!! Good luck with that though :stuck_out_tongue:

Another one I liked is the narras, a race of crystaline creatures created when good beings tried to monitor the multiverse but were sabotaged by agents of Asmodeus (D&D’s version of Lucifer) and instead became beings who just observe all reality through magic mirrors… and occasionally make experiments to find out which is stronger, Good or Evil, by doing things like creating opposite-alignment versions of powerful people. (So THAT’s where the Mirrors of Opposition (a classic D&D item that does just that) comes from!! )

Overall, this is another great addition to the current edition: it catches up on a lot of monsters, both classic and obscure, from previous editions, and also provides new, interesting ones, so there’s stuff for everybody. The art too is getting more varied than in previous editions. It’s cool, but technically it isn’t necessary (unless you’re planning on using Lolth herself in one of your Dark Elf campaigns! :stuck_out_tongue: ) so if you find its price too steep, skip it.

Each role has its quirks. Each source does for the most part as well. Specifically:

Druids are shapeshifters.Their features make them a lot more mobile than other controllers, including a few “pounce” type powers. The newer Druid Sentinel is a bit more focused on a sort of tag team with their animal friends.

A Shaman is connected to the spirits, even having one as a constant companion. Their allegory is the Spirit Shaman from previous editions.

Wardens are pretty tough and shrug off status effects as well as polymorphing into “guardian forms.”

Seekers are pretty limited supportwise, but um, I guess you could say they have a sort of preternatural sense/affinity that attunes them to the surrounding environment.

Avengers are a fixed version of many previous attempts to have a sort of ‘holy enforcer’ like Pelor’s Shadowstrikers, inquisitors, Black Flame Zealots, Strifeleaders etc.

Runepriests have devoted themselves to one specific study in divine runes.

Invokers on the other hand, have divine power innately. They don’t even use holy symbols normally (although they can learn how) I suppose a major part of their draw could be finding out why the deities are forming such covenants or perhaps why they specifically were chosen.

Ardents are the psi leader you were thinking of. They’re empaths, I guess you could say.

Battlemind is based on the old Warmind.

Kokushishin: Thanks for the information (and sorry it took me so long to comment, but I’ve had a lot of problems lately.) I can see what you mean, in fact I remember that one of the most fun aspects of D&D back in the day was how everyone kept coming up with new versions of- well, everything: monsters, magic items, spells etc. Character Classes however were a bit trickier in that they needed to be more “complete” -eg: Why does it exist? What role does it fill (in society not just combat), how many abilities they should have (and which ones) Are they balanced in regards to the rest etc. Of course half the fun was just showing off your ideas even if they were never used. Still considering that these are major sourcebooks and not campaign-specific I would think twice about including new classes that don’t stand on their own very well (many of them would be better of as high-level options, in my opinion.)

On a related note, now that my local Borders has closed down, I’m left without a place to browse these books (and comic books, too) so I guess that’s it for my book reviews for now, unless I find some new place that offers such stuff within my personal range (which is pretty small as I don’t have a car. And public transportation in Puerto Rico sucks. :frowning: )