The Fayth's Dream (FFX Spoilers)

The whole thing with Tidus being dreams of the Fayth is really confusing. How could Zanarkand from 1,000 years ago be ruins if it was only a dream? Wouldn’t Tidus and the people of Zanarkand have to have existed at one time for any of the machina war to take place? If Zanarkand was full of summoners and the Fayth perserved Zanarkand as it was in their dream, how could Tidus, being a dream as well, NOT know what a summoner is? It seems to me that he wouldn’t be as surprised as he seemed to be when Yuna first summons Valefor. Discuss.

Maybe Tidus existed before there were summoners? Or maybe the Fayth wanted to leave the summoners out of the dream for some reason, perhaps so they could also leave out the machina war, so the dream Zanarkand couldn’t be “destroyed.”

From what I read off of the FFC, Yu Yevon was the summoner from Zanarkand that summoned Sin (an aeon) to fight off Bevelle during the great machina war. Sin was like the final aeon, in that it was crazy and mindless and killed everything, including Zanarkand and Yu Yevon. Not wanting to have completly fucked up, Yu Yevon sealed the souls of the people of Zanarkand within the Fayth, and created the “dream Zanarkand”, where the souls of the fayth lived and resided so that Zanarkand could live on forever. Yunalesca was his daughter, and Zaon her husband. Yunalesca wanted to end the suffering, but honer her father, so she founded the Yevon religion, which was based around the lore of the final aeon. Yunalesca fought and defeated Sin, and set into motion the “spiral of death”, which is the whole pilgrimage thing. Yunalesca refused to be sent, so she stayed in Zanarkand, to guide those summoners in what to do so that they may do it correctly, and maintain the spiral of death. Tidus was not a fayth, he was just a soul. He came into contact with Sin when Yu Yevon summoned Sin to fight off Bevelle, and was thrown thrown, not through time, but through dimensions I guess, and moved from “dream Zanarkand” to real life Spira. This explains why he has no recollection of anything at all, like the Machina war. The only reason he thinks he has gone through time is because they tell him that Zanarkand has been gone for 1,000 years.

It probably makes more sense if you read it off the FFC. It’s under the FFX Storyline section.

Sorcerer is right, FFC has most of this explained in their stoiry section.

The Zanarkand ruins are the ruins from that war 1000 years ago, so it was a real city. The few who survived then became the fayth who summoner up the dream Zanarkand as to ease the suffering of destroying the mighty city.

Sin being Yu Yevon and everything could then pass bewteen the two worlds Spira, and the dream Zanarkand. And on his last trip there he picked up the passengers Auron (who he dropped off earlier) and Tidus.

And there were only ever a few summoners in the original Zanarkand, and if they were not a part of the dream one, then how could Tidus know about them.

I think that about covers it, but if you want a better answer to all your questions check out FFC.

The whole damned thing is too complicated to be understood without copious amounts of alochol, but I’ll try and do it in fifteen words or less-

Tidus is from the dream Zanarkand and not the 1000 years ago Zanarkand, which are two different things.

(damn, 3 over. Ah well, can’t win 'em all :thud: )

In the game the fayth said that Tidus’ Zanarkand was their dream, not Yu Yevon’s. At least I’m about 95% certain that it was never said that the dream Zanarkand was in fact Yu Yevon’s creation. This part Sorc said up:

“Not wanting to have completly fucked up, Yu Yevon sealed the souls of the people of Zanarkand within the Fayth, and created the “dream Zanarkand”, where the souls of the fayth lived and resided so that Zanarkand could live on forever.”

Has got me thinking that if the people inhabiting the dream Zanarkand was the souls of the fayth who were originally citizens of the REAL Zanarkand. Then since Tidus was from the dream Zanarkand he would have to be the soul of a fayth and the fayth would have to have been a real person in the Zanarkand of 1000 years ago. So it could be possible that Tidus could really be trapped in the Gagazet statue powering his own existence as a dream of himself that was brought to Spira.

That whole aspect of the game is a mind fuck.

RC: That is pretty trippy. :sunglasses: Never thought of that.

However, if you finish FFX-2, the whole thing becomes just a bit more interesting. I’m going to stop there for risk of completely spoiling it (not to mention I still haven’t gotten the perfect ending, so there may still be bits I don’t know yet).

simply, you know on mount Gagazet, there’s a “wall of fayths” and a big “waterfal of dreams” at the end, you see the waterfall stop and explode in millions of bubbles with someone in each… in one of them is Tidus.

simply, most fayths had incredible power, those were taken and protected in themples, their aeon was powerful

but most people of zanarkand became normal, non-powerful fayths with sin and all that, they (the wall of fayths) maintained the dream zanarkand after the great machina war
after 1000 years, most fayths were tired, after the destruction of Bqraska’s final aeon and Yu Yevon, wich were the heart and soul of Sin, the fayths could stop dreaming and became ordinary stones

that is what I understood of the story, I may be wrong though

Originally posted by Cidolfas
[b]RC: That is pretty trippy. :sunglasses: Never thought of that.

However, if you finish FFX-2, the whole thing becomes just a bit more interesting. I’m going to stop there for risk of completely spoiling it (not to mention I still haven’t gotten the perfect ending, so there may still be bits I don’t know yet). [/b]

Thanks, I try. :slight_smile:

I’ve just finished Chapter 1 on X-2, and already have quite a few questions about the sphere you get from Kilika. Its getting good though even though I still think its the missing link between the Powderpuff Girls and Charlie’s Angels. :stuck_out_tongue:

gab157: I’m a bit confused when you said: "but most people of zanarkand became normal, non-powerful fayths with sin and all that, they (the wall of fayths) maintained the dream zanarkand after the great machina war "

My understanding is that you said that some fayth were chosen to become aeons, others to power the dream Zanarkand, and the rest to power Sin, is that right? My understanding of it was that there were the fayth, I’m assuming of the strongest of the summoners, that became the fayth for the aeons. The rest became the fayth in the Gagazet statue that powered the dream. I was under the impression that Yu Yevon drew his power for Sin from his own summoning abilities by controlling the aeons that were created to destroy Sin and not the actual fayth of the fallen Zanarkand citizens.

Another puzzling thing was the fact that Yu Yevon was still alive after 1000 years. Did he like transcend the normal human life to reach a level of agelessness or something? And how did he go from being a man to the… black ball thing he was when you fight him. I personally was expecting something like Hades from FF7 and FF9. Man was I disappointed when I finally got to him and seen that I crap bigger than him! :stuck_out_tongue:

Sin was created from the Final Aeon. On the other hand, the summoning of the dream Zanarkand is done by the Yu Yevon drawing on the fayth on Mt. Gagazet. Remember that fayth don’t summon; summoners use fayth to summon stuff (e.g. Yuna and the aeons).

I have no idea how Yu Yevon stayed alive etc. It’s just one of those things. 8p

RedComet: yeah, but Sin is Powered by himself and the fayths used to “fight” him (Jecht was one, he became Braska’s final Aeon, Sin’s heart) and Yu Yevon became like that because, that’s just a guess, he went IN Sin, throught some dimension or something and stayed as Sin’s soul but in an eternal anger or something… he stayed as Sin’s soul for too long and he changed, because he was no longer made of matter, he was simply a soul… the first matter beings were Tidus, Yuna and co. on the giant sword.

I think it had more to do that Yu Yevon was of such a higher level of summoning abilities that he could actually become one with an aeon. Kind of like the borg assimilating thing on star trek.

Another interesting thing would be the summoners of Zanarkand. If the aeons are the fayth and all that of from Zanarkand then what the hell did the summoners summon before the war?

I think people can kind of choose to become fayth, in which case people could summon them. The end of Zanarkand just had people doing that on a large scale.

Originally posted by Cidolfas
I have no idea how Yu Yevon stayed alive etc. It’s just one of those things. 8p
Yevon was more like a fiend at the end though. His physical form was absolutely fekked up.

You don’t think that Yevon went with the “Like hell you durn things are gonna send me, I’m staying riiiight here you moffos!” and lo, he did become a fiend.

(on that matter, if the fiends are all dead people… boy must they have sloppy sendings with all those monsters running around…)

Originally posted by RedComet
Another interesting thing would be the summoners of Zanarkand. If the aeons are the fayth and all that of from Zanarkand then what the hell did the summoners summon before the war?

Who knows. It’s all Yunalesca and Yu Yevon manipulating the existing system.

They only way that I can think of Yu Yevon becoming Sin is that when he originally summoned him, he was so twisted and full of hatred, that Sin sort of absorbed him. Or Yu Yevon fused with so that he could be his enemies bringer of destruction.

And so whenever he was beat by the finl aeon, he would leave his original Sin body and fuse with the new aeon. Mutating it into Sin, with all of his hatred. Which he kept doing those destroying his physical body (turning him into that spider-thing), and allowing him to live for 1000 years.

So all in all, Yu Yevon was just one hell of a twisted guy.

Yu Yevon summoned Sin and sits in there, to force the fayth to keep dreaming about Zanarkand, since he misses it so much. Yu Yevon probably died, but just like (WARNING, FFX-2 SPOILER) Shuyin his feelings stayed behind.

Basically, it seems in a nutshell, that Yunalesca and Yu Yevon thought up one heck of a plan. It’s my understanding that Zanarkand was doomed because Bevelle’s machina was more than enough to lay the city to ruins. Yu Yevon became the root of sin’s power, and so he remained until Tidus and Co. plucked him out of the picture. One of two things happened, but it’s been awhile since I played FFX so I can’t remember; Yevon summoned Sin, which laid waste to both the army of Bevelle and Zanarkand, or it happened after the destruction of Zanarkand. Either way, Sin was stronger than it’s summoner, it’s core, and soon enough, Yu Yevon would be eaten away and Sin would surely destroy all of Spira without Yevon stopping it. Yunalesca, however, began the spiral of death as Sorcerer said and became the first summoner. It’s my opinion that all those people who were sarificied (Jecht, Zion) were a way to refresh Yevon’s waning power over the beast at large. But it didn’t matter anyway, because Yevon seemed to have lost his very humanity as he tried to preserve Spira. Like Bahamut said, now he only existed to summon. He could no longer hear the song that haunts Tidus. Jecht himself tells Tidus that he’ll soon be completley taken over by Sin since he can no longer hear the song.

As for the fayth…that’s when things get tricky. I suppose Yu Yevon put the survivors of Zanarkand to sleep to create that dream. The real question is whether any of the people in the “Dream” Zanarkand are real…did they really ever exist. I think the answers a yes, and a no. Anyone play FFTA? Marche was so pathetic in the real world at sports and the like that even Doned said so, and yet, when he arrives in Ivalice, he capable of going medival on everyone from the get go. Why is that? It’s for the same reason why Ritz has pink hair in that world; because a dream is never reality, or at least their dream. The real Tidus, or the fayth that spawned him, could be a scrawny kid like Marche that dreamed of being a blitzball player and from that dream Tidus was born. Of course, if this was true, then the dream world would basically be a perfect place, but the fayth dream seperate dreams, different dreams. Whoever dreamed up Tidus probably envisioned him as being one of a kind, hence the reason why he’s such a hero to everybody.

The only real problem with this, is the fact that Tidus’s mother shows up at the Farplane. But heck, she could’ve died at the real Zanarkand and some who survived to become a fayth could’ve wondered what would’ve happened if she had survived…

I suppose.

The whole thing with Tidus’ mother showing up on the Farplane really throws a monkey wrench into explaining anything, doesn’t it? :fungah: