The anti-WoW thread

I agree with Sat. The only MMORPG I’ve played is Phantasy Star Online (and Diablo 2 if you can consider that an MMORPG), and it really just feels like the only reason for playing is to crunch levels and do some quests without really having any reason to. I’ve found some of the single player quests enjoyable on PSO, but nothing that’s really worth writing home about, nor worth paying each month for.

http://www.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=3138701

I figured this was appropiate for the thread.

Yeah, I’m going to hungrily buy that game. That and DQ8 are really the only to major titles I’m looking forward to this year.

[edit]

Last I heard, it was to feature an offline mode… if that’s gone, I’m not buying it. -_-

I thought I’d let you all know that I hit 60 with my first character about 15 minutes ago. Has anyone else reached 60 somewhere?

It does have an offline mode. However, you play with a premade character (not sure if you can choose class). This is done to let online characters be hosted on the PSU servers, instead of offline so as to not let stuff get hacked as retardedly much as in PSO.

57, sorry.

QPZ4 hit 60 last week, though.

Me and Lanyx (Ramza) reached 60 a couple months ago, I think February >.>

The reason they acted that way is because THAT is a very rare thing. Having a good party in FFXI was the only way to get any where. I like the fact that I can solo in WoW and put it down whenever the hell I want to without thinking about how hard it’ll be to get a party when I log in later that night.

FFXI was like a messy abortion, it should have never happened. Or at least, been done by someone who knows what they are doing.

Thats funny, I played EQ and felt (and still feel) that it was fantastic. However, I just tryed out EQ2’s free Isle of Trials thing to see what it was like and YUCK. The voice acting is cool untill you realize that every time you talk to a vendor they say the same fucking phrase every time you open thier window. And its not like “How are you?” or “What can I get for you today?” its some long ass, “Well hello there, what can I be gettin fer ya today? Whethere it be a blade te cut yer enemy down or armor to protect yer hide, I’ve got what you need!”
That was really annoying.

Then the gameplay just “felt” clunky. Like, they tried to make it pretty, but they worried more about polygon counts and pretty environments and forgot that all the characters look like shit. The animations are pathetic for nearly everything as far as movement goes, proving yet again that motion capture is a STUPID way to animate unless used as REFERENCE, not to mention lazy.

I could say that I liked the music, but sadly I’d be lying. I often heard themes that reminded me of EQ1, but then I’d be sad becaues the music wasnt as good as EQ1’s…

Maybe if they fixed the graphics, made the clipping problems a little less frequent, toned down the repetitiveness of the voice acting, and actually animated the characters instead of dicking around with neat “toys” called motion capture machines… the game may be worthy of playing.

Of course, this isnt a “my game is better than your game” comment, but rather a “Everquest 2 is absolutely terrible” comment.

It stole my friends away from FFXI! Then they realised how boring World of Warcraft is and came back.

Good, that’s what I’d heard to. A new offline story based Phantasy Star sounds awesome to me.

Because you made a thread about “not wow” so of course wow will come up! lol

My friend is some sort of hired gamer for a swedish team for this game. He’s not only the only minor on the team, he’s the only one from the US. It’s crazy, he spends like 10 hours a day on it and his dad lets him skip school ocasionally to play it all day.

Because complaining about how WoW ruins social lives is about on par with complaining how, say, Dragon Warrior 8 ruins social lives, yet no-one ever complains about this or any other single-player game doing so?

Because most single player RPGs have what, 80-120 hours of gameplay, tops.

What’s more, single player RPGs have save spots and pause buttons, as do any other single player games. MMOs have literally thousands of hours of gameplay and no pause buttons, and your abilities/entertainment are dependant entirely on other players or time sensitive events, so players are enticed to play for longer periods of time, at scheduled intervals, and punished for not being online. The reason no one ever mentions losing friends to single player RPGs is because it doesn’t happen (or seldom happens, if anything), because single player RPG players eventually finish their game, or hit a save spot.

Who needs friends when you can have a Krol Blade?

Who needs Krol blade when you can have…
/points to sig

I want that dagger on my druid so bad. What are you using off hand?

Then your friends are extremely over-conscientious to others or have no willpower whatsoever. It doesn’t take ten seconds to type ‘be back later, doing other stuff’ in the chat window and log off, and if you’ve never sat behind your friend watching as he ‘just wanna get this save point first ok’ then you’re extremely lucky. When you get right down to it single-player games have just as many incentives as multi-player games to not stop playing.

Not really. From my limited experience w/ MMOs, if you just type “be back later, doing other stuff,” and try to come back later, whoever you were in a party with will never play with you again, or will at least make a big deal about “he leaves before we’re finished” or something. And it’s way different to wait until the next save point, which tend to come along pretty often, than it is to sit and wait for someone to decide their done with no incentive to turn it off.

This isn’t worth it, though, I’m dropping the argument. Someone can close this thread if they’d like. I’ve lost enough friends to MMOs, I don’t want to lose other friends because I’m complaining about MMOs.