The anti-WoW thread

WoW killed my father and raped my mother

That’s probably true. I still don’t like WoW very much. I played around a little bit on a ‘guest’ account someone set up for me. Just seemed like standard MMO faire, which, given my dislike of MMOs, I’m probably not apt to judge. It’d be like sitting me down in front of a football game. I couldn’t tell you which one was better than the others, but I could tell you I don’t like any of them. However, based on the MMOs I have played, I’ve disliked FFXI the least, and I only truly started to dislike FFXI when my friends started not hanging out with anyone else because of it. It was weird, because I was actually playing the game at the time. I’d mention in game that we should go to Wendy’s or something, and they’d agree. Then I’d drive to their house, and I’d have to wait 3-4 hours for them to log out.

But logging out only takes 30 seconds (/logout). :open_mouth:
(Or the fast way, Alt-Tab)

Yeah, that was my reasoning. Instead, I got “but I’m in a really good party!” or “I just started this event.” Thus, I sat there, doing nothing for hours. If I left, everyone would call me an asshole for not hanging out with people. That’s kind of how I spent last summer, though at the end of the summer FFXI/Galaxies was slowly replaced by FFXI/WoW. The other difference is that I’m not forcing myself to play one just to hang out with people.

Here’s how it should go.

“Hey, want to get some food at Wendy’s?”
“Sure, just come on over.”
and then
“Hey guys, I’m going out for food in a bit, so I have to leave the party in like 15 mins or something.”
Anyone who understands is cool, anyone who doesn’t is an asshole and you shouldn’t party with them anyway. Also that’s how you find out which people are assholes.

Well, that’s great and all, but I think that it’s not the thought of hurting these people’s feelings that stops them.

I admit that I spend too much time in front of the computer, not in MMORPGs, but playing other games. Still, the attitudes you describe seem extremely obsessive to me.

Its typical of people who get addicted to MMORPGs, Manus.

You can’t really say that most MMORPGs are that unique. Conceptually they’re all the same (kill this, get that, go there). WoW is nice because its graphically impressive and the gameplay is pretty versatile and fast paced relative to other MMORPGs.

Also because Contested Territory is a great idea and raids are fun as hell to watch.

Less fun to watch when you’re hungry… -_-

Thanks for your insight.

Screw Alt-Tab, you want to get a gammer’s attention: ALT-F4 :mwahaha:

I think you are all being a little harsh on WoW, but I understand the behavior that you’re describing. I get like that sometimes. But as far as Mr. Saturn’s friends saying that they want to go get food and then saying that they are in the middle of an event, I say that they are/were irresponcible. Know how much time you have to play and plan accordingly around meals and sleep time. People should not join parties when they need to log in 10 minutes.

And a little note Pro-MMO: Many of the 1 player RPGs I’ve played were amazingly similar in format to WoW if you chop it right down except insteed of chatting with other people while you play you watch a script being played out similar to watching a movie or reading a book, compleate with doing it all over again if you make a mistake. Don’t get me wrong, I love FF and Crono Trigger and most of the RPGs I’ve played, just playing devil’s advocate.

Actually, the average RPG isn’t about level crunching or item collection, it’s about story progression. Sure, you level crunch and get items along the way, but you can beat the game without doing so.

Hey guys I got an awesome epic drop today worth 1500G then I bought my epic mount :sunglasses:

Edit: PS IT PWNZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ NITE ELF 4 LYFE

Story
Book and/or Movie = RPG
Well, maybe not so much the movies…
Time
Book and Movie < RPG

And an RPG takes far less time than an MMO. What’s your point? They’re different kinds of games.

Hey guys I got an awesome epic drop today worth 1500G then I bought my epic mount :sunglasses:

Edit: PS IT PWNZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ NITE ELF 4 LYFE
liek omg no

hord > aliance u fgt

I personally love MMO’s and have played more than I can count though the only ones to really hold my interest for longer than a month was EQ1, EQ2 and DAOC. WoW is an ok game, but it has too many kids on it and their immaturity tends to ruin the fun (For me at least). There are quite a few people here at work who are addicted to it though.

Haha Zep, what epic? Hand of Edward the Odd? Myrmidon’s Signet? Amulet of Cainwen (No idea how it’s spelled :frowning: )

Why are the WoW players talking about WoW in the thread specifically set up so I don’t have to hear about WoW?