The age of Video game players seem to have increased

I just looked at the ages of some of the members and i noticed ages 17-22.That is really interesting to me- When i belonged to the RPG completers club in 1994 and when i went to video game stores when the SNES RPG’S were first released in the early 1990’s like Captron- World of Nintendo i didn’t see anyone in that age group playing SNES RPG’S -
i just got out some of my old newsletters from the RPG Completers group and i noticed the average age was 13 and that was the age of gamers i ran into in video game stores like Captron, World of Nintendo back then.i was in my 20’s then and a lot of people thought it was wierd a person my age was playing video games.I talked to a member of this last night on AIM and he told me he could do the same things i could do with the games- like making codes or doing it some other way maybe with a hex editior used on save states.
That is the big difference between now and then.Back then i was the only one with a Pro Action Replay device( because it was made in England and not sold in gameing stores here) using it to do things like generate items and airships early in the game in Lufia 2 and FF5 ( and FF5 we had to play in Japanese because there was no translation patch then).
My biggest fun in my life was being looked up to as a god by the kids who played the games back then because i could use my PAR to perform miracleulous things with the games we all loved so much like Chron Trigger.And Chrono Trigger seemed to be the most popular SNES RPG of them all.
I would go to Captron every day and players would loan me their carts so i could use PAR codes to generate all the single , double and triple techniques and tons of weapons and items at the beginning of the game-Then i would return the carts to them the next day. Also i was in these clubs with newsletters and these 12 and 13 year old RPG players would send me their carts by mail so i could use my PAR on them then i would send them back.
That is another difference i have noticed between now and then- some gamers now don’t want to play the games with any codes- HOW CAN THAT BE?What is the matter with these people. Games are no fun without PAR codes that give you items and airships at the beginning of games. Back in the 90’s everyone couldn’t wait to send me their new SNES RPG by mail so i could use my PAR on it and return it. and when i discovered that Dragon’s Warp item in BOF 1using a PAR code that was my biggest moment- that item that lets you warp anywhere- even on the title screen and world map-Everybody applauded me as making the greatest discovery in video game history.Every one made numerical lists of where each of the 4 digit numbers would take you-
One thing i always used to do back then- When somebody sent me a Chrono Trigger to use my PAR on then return i always renamed Lucca to Linda which is my name- IF ANYONE EVER WINS on ebay OR BUYS a used cart of Chrono Trigger and finds game saves with a lot of items and techniques at the beginning of the game and Lucca renamed Linda then it is one of those carts from years ago i fixed up with my PAR for some kid.Why did i choose Lucca to rename? Because she is the scientist and i was the scientist with the PAR performing miracles on SNES carts- Good Bye,Dragonquester-enjoy your games----

[b]Shock!

People Age![/b]

Wow, what a crazy world we live in, where people actually grow older, isn’t it? :hyperven:

[EDIT]

I talked to a member of this last night on AIM and he told me he could do the same things i could do with the games- like making codes or doing it some other way maybe with a hex editior used on save states.

That’s not what I meant. I meant, I could make numerous topics about little things people don’t really care about like this one and be annoying, too. I just don’t, because I know it’d be annoying to everyone else.

[2ND EDIT]

That is another difference i have noticed between now and then- some gamers now don’t want to play the games with any codes- HOW CAN THAT BE?What is the matter with these people. Games are no fun without PAR codes that give you items and airships at the beginning of games.

Not so. It’s better to play a game through without cheating. That way, you get the satisfaction of beating it by your own knowledge, your own skill, not through some dumb-ass cheat. Sure, it’s fun to do once or twice, but when you can say something like, “I beat (insert game name) without ever having to cheat” I think you can say it with much more pride than “Oh, I found this neato code that makes all my characters ultimately invincible. I can beat the game with ease, now.”

THANKS DRAGONQUESTER!! ^_____^

I can’t speak for everyone, but I know that I will never grow out of gaming. :slight_smile:

RPGC’s members are older, therefore, all gamers are older…?

Yep. Those 13-year-olds are now the same 22-year-olds you see here.

Dramatic voice Age does not matter to the real gamers…

This thread blows. Someone close it.

Dragonquester, are you new to the internet or something?

17-22? Kiro and her friends are like 11. :stuck_out_tongue:

AND EZ IS 9!!!

And I like to play games cheat free. In fact, I’m against pretty much all forms of cheating as it ruins the game. I mean, I don’t want to play a game with an airship from the start, whats the point?

Time makes you bolder, even children get older, and I’m getting old now, too.

Those of us who picked these damn things up as kids just never put 'em down. Even after we “grew up” we kept playing. And keep playing.

And when I’m a really old fart, instead of the old fart persona I adopt around here, far in the future when my body is broken down and I can’t move around that well anymore, they’ll probably still be there, one of my few remaining amusements and escapes. Unless I get too arthritic to use the controllers or something…

That’s actually a fear of mine. My mom is 53 this year, and she’s starting to feel a little bit of pain when she uses her Gameboy Advance SP. The doctor damn near laughed at her when she asked for some sort of arthritis medication so she could keep playing Pokémon. Of course, that’s not what she’s playing right now. She’s got FF:Dawn of Souls to worry about. And I finally got her an NES, so she’s going back and playing all of the 8-bit Dragon Warriors, both 8-bit Zeldas, and Faxanadu. Now she’s trying to get a SNES so she can get the Lufias, the FFs, and the 7th Saga (which, oddly enough, is one of her favorite games).

Kids are not the only ones clamoring after video games these days. The children weaned on Atari and Nintendo in the 1980s continue to be the most avid players: 145 million Americans routinely play video games, and the majority of them—61 percent—are adults, according to the Entertainment Software Association. Seventeen percent of regular video-gamers are over the age of 50. And whereas adolescent boys, the group that originally flocked to video games, still account for 21 percent of the gaming population, adult women have surpassed them, at 26 percent. The average American video game player is 29 years old, and spends on average 6.5 hours each week plopped down in front of a gaming console.
http://www.thenewatlantis.com/archive/4/soa/videogames.htm

And dragonquester you rock!
Forget your hubby, let’s get together.

My biggest fun in my life was being looked up to as a god
I will treat you as a Goddess :wink:

Edit:Mr. Saturn, Sir i would like to meet your mom.

And Seifer, sir, she would like to kick your ass at Dr. Mario.

Back on topic, while the children of Nintendo are growing up and playing games, from my experience, most of the children of Atari are not. The people weened on Atari (a majority of them, anyway, based on my experience talking to customers at game stores) tend to see video games now just as they did then; a diversion, or a simple thrill. They don’t follow them as closely as those raised a few years later on the Nintendo do. Perhaps the crash of 84 made them think it was dead, and the last 21 years just haven’t gotten to them yet.

(note: I say this while wearing an Atari t-shirt, having just finished a ‘rousing’ game of Adventure. :D)

I agree with the whole “not cheating” bit Sorc said. While I’ll ask for help if I’m really stuck, I don’t like cheating my way through a game. Where’s the skill in that?

Don’t ever play Skies of Arcadia then, Sorc. You get an airship after your first boss battle, which occurs like two minutes into the game. >.>

I already have, I meant like - you’re not supposed to have an airship at the beginning of the game. SoA you’re supposed to.

Yeah. I know what you meant. I felt like just making a stupid comment.

I myself dont enjoy cheating to do stuff with games, but I think it’s interesting to see some of the stuff you can do. I did however get a GameShark for N64, the only game I really used with it was Mario 64, cause it was crazy some of the weird shit you could do.

This was touched upon, but I want to ask it bluntly, and it’s completely serious: Are you proud of using Pro-Action Replay to give yourself an unfair advantage? You’re always bragging about generating things like teleporters, but what fun is that other than a brief period of novelty?