Sword of Mana ~ a review by Booken

<b>Graphics</b> 8/10
The game itself presented graphics worthy of the 32-bit system, yet similar to the SNES 16-bit game. Keeping the good ol Sprites system, playing SoM-GBA have the same feel as it had on SoM or SD3. Not only that, but you have to see the cinematics playing when the final bosses performs his uber attacks.

The game, unfortunaltly, lacked the special effects that made me love SoM so much. No fiery auras when you cast Power up. No walls of greenish magic when you use Dryad’s Wall spell. The spells itself where rather limited to what the weapons gave.
Altrought they all had different trajectories, the hex was always the same… (Except for the axe. Boy did I loved how it looked). They could changed the hex from one weapon to another, like the bow’s magic should shoot arrows or Gem missiles, or something. It lacked originality, all the elements had for difference was the color of the hex. A water ball or a fiery swirl at best…

<b>Gameplay</b> 10/10
This game got it all. Real time action, may it be melee, ranged, or magic. Yes, Real time Magic! Its a lot different, if not better, than the menu the series used so far. Well, both system have its advantage. The controls are smooth and responsible, and the action never stops. The elemental system is omnipresent (Yeepee), even the weapons got their deal of it. With 3 types of attack, you just can’t build up the sword only.

<b>Sound</b> 9/10
Open the gameboy, wait a little, and let the music play. If you can’t tell why I felt in love with this game…
The music might get repetitive, however.

<b>Multiplayer</b> 1/10
AMIGO? F**K YE! ;;
No multiplayer mode for us ;
;
They’re royally screwed on this point.
… at least I think.

<b>Story</b>10/10
The story deep. Deeper than anything you’ll ever see in a Seiken Densetsu game. And a bit sad too. This game is great. There is so much great moments… You can play as Watts!! ::dekar!::

Originally posted by Booken
You can play as Watts!! ::dekar!::

SWEET!

Uh, I believe the second character can be controlled using another game boy and a link cable Booken.

Yeah, that’s how the game sites said it worked. Booken fails :stuck_out_tongue:

Making a two-player mode for an rpg game sounds like it would be great, but it usually doesn’t work well in reality. I tried it with both FF6 and Secret of Mana back when those games were first released for the SNES, and in both instances we both got frustrated with the setup, especially in Secret of Mana. It’s really frustrating when you’re trying to move to the next screen but you can’t because the other player is stuck behind a rock or some such thing, or when the other player can’t cast the magic fast enough, etc. The first player, the one in charge of the menus, always wants to take total control.

Uh, Sword of Mana (And Seiken Densetsu 3, too, in fact) made it work. The first player is in total control. If the second player happens to go out of the screen the second player loses control of his/her character and the character automatically runs to the first character through rocks, obstacles, etc. until he/she is right beside the first character. Then the second player regains control of his/her character.

Maybe that’s just me, not wanting to play an rpg with a second person. I’ve never played Sword of Mana, so I don’t know the specifics behind its own system. But, to me, console rpgs are just not games that lend themselves to a multiplayer system. Have you had fun playing a console rpg with someone else?(Diablo doesn’t count, nor do multiplayer online games).

Well, Secret of Mana was fun as multiplayer during the first 25%, when the story wasn’t so intense, and you could survive without magic…

The end is good for hack-and-slashing together with a friend…

Originally posted by Epicgamer
Uh, I believe the second character can be controlled using another game boy and a link cable Booken.

I believe not. They made some Amigo system, wich allow people to link up and summon their friend via some item. When I mean Summon, its those one-time attacks.

Originally posted by Mabatsekker
Well, Secret of Mana was fun as multiplayer during the first 25%, when the story wasn’t so intense, and you could survive without magic…

You’re just bad, I played the entire game with only recovery magic and only using offense magic for those blasted orb door things.

I used magic whenever I could… because it was fun =P

Same as Zero. And I found the game good, but inferior to LoM in every way.

The plot isn’t NEARLY as good as SoM or SD3’s plots, nor is it as good as some of the plots in LoM (namely the Jumi story arc). I don’t really think the plot as a whole is much better than FFA’s plot, for that matter. It’s a good game, true, but as far as story goes doesn’t really compare to the rest of the series.

Originally posted by Sohee
The plot isn’t NEARLY as good as SoM or SD3’s plots, nor is it as good as some of the plots in LoM (namely the Jumi story arc). I don’t really think the plot as a whole is much better than FFA’s plot, for that matter. It’s a good game, true, but as far as story goes doesn’t really compare to the rest of the series.

Funny, I remember SoM and even moreso SD3 as having plots that were aesthetically very nice, but otherwise not particularly special.

The plot for either game would have been greatly helped had some serious treatment been given to actually explaining exactly what the secret of Mana is.

The secret of mana? It’s a secret.

The story was different in style. While SoM and SD3 was more oriented toward collecting elements and visiting temples and such, SoM-GBA’s was more arching toward the whole Dark Lord deal. Toward why did he started hunting the mana clan as heretics. Medusa’s death, and all, affected them. That whole depressing stuff… That was the base of the story. The spirit gathering was only reward, it was only on the surface of it.

Thats what I thought anyway.

well, I just got it for christmas, but I also got fire emblem and C3C, which have been taking my time up more than SoM, but what I’ve played, its nice, though I preferred the older magic system.

They tried to give it an LoM touch, as you’re saying Booken. However, it wasn’t very deep and it wasn’t that well executed. It was a bit too rushed and certain things were too sudden. Had there been more character development and such, it would’ve been better.

Secret of Mana was terrible, SD3 was pretty good, and I never played LoM. I tried the Sword of Mana ROM, and it’s pretty good. I’ll probably pick it up when I get enough cash.

Originally posted by Zero
You’re just bad, I played the entire game with only recovery magic and only using offense magic for those blasted orb door things.

Me bad? C’mon, the game is very unfair for the one who decides to use teh Sprite! …It’s attack is muuuchos lower than that of the Hero and the Girl!

Of course, one could just learn to cope with it…

Offense magic was sorta evil since it always made a break to the action >_>;