Super Smash Brothers: Brawl Update!!!

…in FIVE days.

Ha ha, no offense, but it cracks me up that everyone goes crazy about game news that’s coming in a WEEK.

I dunno. I’m pretty excited. Maybe it’s Nintendo’s hype machine, but I’m going crazy trying to figure out which characters are going to be in the new Smash Bros. game.

Come ooooon, Mike Jones… crosses fingers

Watch it just be a website redesign.

Or they announce Luigi or something.

Nintendo has always been infuriatingly tight-lipped about their big-name games until it gets close to release time. I mean, think about it, it’s been about a year since our first morsel of SSBB information, and since then we got ONE update last fall, and it was /Fox McCloud/.

When this site goes up, I hope it has LOTS of information. Not just because I’m curious, but also because it’d likely mean it’s not that much farther off…

I’ve heard from somewhere (I can’t remember where though. D’oh!) that the game itself will be released in like July (Probably for Japan only though. :frowning: We’ll have to wait for it until the end of the year.)

Although it’s cliche now, I really hope Sonic is in it. Not counting the upcoming Mario/Sonic Olympic Game, a friend of mine is a humongous Sonic buff, and we’ve sworn to have a lot of Maro/Sonic spar offs and team-ups if he was in it.

Also, Little Mac and Captain N, ftwin.

They need to make Ness not suck this time so I can return to the glory days that were me rocking everyone’s face the fuck off on the N64. >:(

Ness doesn’t suck in Melee, though. His baseball bat is still quite powerful, and he’s not a bad jumper either.

He plays way differently in Melee. His grab range for throws is ridiculously small, his PK Thunder is harder to control and doesn’t send him as far, the awesome downward kick was removed, and his jumps are way more floaty, among other various annoying crap that was changed. I was most aggravated with how much throws were cut back in general in Melee (it completely ruined my block, dodge-roll, grab, throw combo. I was so good on the 64 that I could grab Kirby of mid air during a cutter), and on top of that Ness’s grab was probably one of the worst in the Melee.

In comparison he was hardly even the same character, they changed so much about how he played anything that I had used on the 64 wouldn’t work or was practically worthless to do in Melee. You can’t say that about most of the other characters they kept from the previous game.

Edit: I’ll be the first to admit that Ness was pretty powerful on the 64. But to be fair so was Samus, and Samus remained one of the best characters in Melee. Ness was just the one that got nerfed and changed the most from any of the other characters so instead of becoming more balanced he just downright sucked. He probably would have been decent if I had taken the time to learn how to play him again, but damnit I spent years on him already and I wasn’t about to relearn a character I was a freaking awesome at because they changed everything.

Oddly, I absolutely cannot get the hang of Samus in Melee. I dunno what it is, but her moves just feel awkward.

Unfortunately this has brought my event match progression to a quick halt with the Cold Warriors match, or whatever it was, when you have to play as Samus against THREE Metal Samus (Samus’s? Samusii?) Suffice to say I haven’t gotten close to winning that one…

Oh, now that would just be awesome. Now that I have a Wii, I’m getting more excited about Wii game news. :slight_smile: I’ve also never played a SSB game…

Captain N? O_o He was never a video game character (and frankly, he bugged the heck out of me). And who’s Little Mac?

The guy from Punch-Out.

He plays way differently in Melee. His grab range for throws is ridiculously small, his PK Thunder is harder to control and doesn’t send him as far, the awesome downward kick was removed, and his jumps are way more floaty, among other various annoying crap that was changed. I was most aggravated with how much throws were cut back in general in Melee (it completely ruined my block, dodge-roll, grab, throw combo. I was so good on the 64 that I could grab Kirby of mid air during a cutter), and on top of that Ness’s grab was probably one of the worst in the Melee.

WHAT?,no offense really but if you say that,is that you really don’t know how to use Ness in Melee.forget that he has a small grab range his PK fire is incredibly good for ground control plus it sets up his bat smash really damn good.For aerial move he has the back kick of doom that sends oponents flying like nothing and has a great priority,and his aerial downward kick spikes really good.

Yeah, all of which are inferior to how he played on the 64. I’m not saying Ness is completely awful, I’m saying he is completely awful in comparison to how awesome he was on the 64. The play style is completely different, and that’s why it was aggravating. Most of the other characters translated in a way that made it so that if someone had played a lot with them on the 64, they would have had an easy transition to playing with the same character on the cube. Ness didn’t work that way.

Originally Posted by Rinn
I’m not saying Ness is completely awful, I’m saying he is completely awful in comparison to how awesome he was on the 64. The play style is completely different, and that’s why it was aggravating. Most of the other characters translated in a way that made it so that if someone had played a lot with them on the 64, they would have had an easy transition to playing with the same character on the cube. Ness didn’t work that way.

In my opinion Ness’s flightier jumps were an improvement since you didn’t have to rely on Ness’s risky saving move as often. (And if you disagree with me then you obiviously never had someone purposely jump in the way of your PK Thunder while you were trying to save yourself with it.)

Though also in my opinion, I thought that it was Fox that took it the worst not Ness.

Originally Posted by SpoonyBard
[i]Oddly, I absolutely cannot get the hang of Samus in Melee. I dunno what it is, but her moves just feel awkward.

Unfortunately this has brought my event match progression to a quick halt with the Cold Warriors match, or whatever it was, when you have to play as Samus against THREE Metal Samus (Samus’s? Samusii?) Suffice to say I haven’t gotten close to winning that one…[/i]

Trouble with Samus is that she kinda lackluster in hand to hand combat. However she’s quite good at delivering aerial attacks and excels at ranged moves. As for the event itself the best way to deal with the Sami is to use their added weight against them the battlefield itself will also assist in this endevor. The best strategy is to fight your way to one of the edges and try to let the stage do the rest. If it gets too crowded try manuvering to the other side. If that’s too much try getting onto one of the platforms while they’re underneath the field. And as always keep an eye out for any useful items.

Oh it happened all the time when I started, but I learned how to avoid other people jumping into it. My PK Thunder control was beautiful. The only sure fire way to cheaply kill me when I played Ness was to knock me down between the buildings in the Pokemon stage. There’s no recovering from that if you can’t manage to get enough height from the double jump.

Though also in my opinion, I thought that it was Fox that took it the worst not Ness.

A no,no,no,no,The one that took it worst was Kirby,he was thrown from being godly in the 64 to being close to trash(not as much as Mew Two)all of his moves were watered down,and he has some of the worst spikes in the game,I would say that only his jump is great but jigglypuff can do the same,and is a much better character in general.

Fox taking it bad?are you kidding,he’s the strongest character in melee,partly thanks to his reflector and speed,plus he has some near imposible to escape combos that can easily kill you in a few seconds.