Suggestions.

Since I’ll have more free time this summer than during the school year (although not as much as last summer since now I’ll be working 40 hours a week), I was planning on making changes to the forum, improving it where I can, etc. But, if any of you guys have any issues or suggestions or questions etc. about changes you’d like to see made, or even if you remember stuff you’ve said I’d do in the past, then please post them here. I’ll discuss the ones that merit discussing with the other moderators and admins, see how feasible they are, and do what can be done. Thanks. This is good both for input and so I remember what needs to be done :stuck_out_tongue:

Please keep this thread on topic, staff feel free to post requests here too, and keep the change-requests reasonable (for example, don’t ask to be a mod).

Well, you did say you’d try to bring back the tournament this summer.

And this is just me, but I just think that that help button at the top of the page would be more ic if it said tutorial or something.

[ul][li]Better looking link buttons at the top (Look at the Party Members one, Members touches both edges, and World Map touches the top and bottom)
[/li][li]Alter the FAQs to include pretty much everything that appears more than once in the Help forum.
[/li][li]http://www.vbulletin.org/hacks/index.php?s=&action=showhack&hackid=441
[/li][/ul]

Some type of HP/MP/EXP bars for fighting in some way?

And that hack is precious. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, that hack seems like a good idea.

Considering how the hp bars and such worked (current hp based on how frequently you posted), you realize that it wouldn’t exactly work too well right?

I thought the whole HP/MP bars was pretty stupid. Cool idea, but it just didn’t seem to work too well with it being based on peoples post rate. If you have to have them, I’d prefer for them to work on in the Free RP board, since most of that sorta thing is pretty much reffered straight there.

• Better looking buttons
  • Update the FAQ’s and Help Section
  • Bring back the tournament
  • Lower the between-posts time
  • Change the damn smilies back, or at least change them to something else.
  • I’d like to see some more custom coding. I cant really offer any suggestions, but the spoiler code is pretty cool.
  • On the left side information bar, I’d like to see some contact info, like ICQ numbers, email address or Screen names or something. However they can be left blank and stuff, much like the current stuff is, as well as a bit more space for the current information and titles.
  • Change the titles
  • I’d like to see a forum color change. This blue is nice and all, but I wouldn’t mind a change. I know that there is an option on vBB to have multiple color schemes, so if you dont want to change it, maybe you could add some different colors?

The hack is interesting and, as someone who posts stories chapter by chapter in the media forum I could see it potentially causing me a bit of difficulty. But since it’s got a timing mechanism (and an hour seems more than fair) I would support this.

[Actually, and seeing Val post reminds me of this, it could actually slow down discussion and game threads in the Free RP forum and cause a few problems. I’m not too sure.]

But overall, I suppose, Merlin, if you wanted to take an assertive stand against double posting and felt our self-policing system wasn’t sufficient, it would make a good addition.
I really can’t think of anything the agora really NEEDS per se, I think we have a really good system in place and there’s not much need to tinker with it and only if you’re really driven/obsessed (or just need somethin’ to do) could make a few minor cosmetic changes.

I wouldn’t mind bringing the HP/MP/EXP bars back, although I don’t really miss them either. But they were a nice little touch to fit in with the whole theme.

I do prefer the generic RPG class poster titles to the Earthbound monster ones, but its not like it’s THAT big a deal or anything. If you could tinker with things so that people could choose which progression they were following (I have NO CLUE how feasible this would be, and I realize it very well may not be feasible at all, heck, might not even be possible), i.e. I could check a box on “user profile” that puts my post count taking me through “knight, archer, lancer, ninja” etc. while another poster is going through “Manly Fish, Annoying Reveler” and so on. Again I am quite aware this has the potential to be VERY unfeasible. But hey, might as well toss it out there.

But really there’s nothing sorely missing and I can’t think of any major improvements that need to be / could be made.

Following Sorcerer’s smilie suggestion, there was a Dekar smilie that I thought should be the new o_O smilie thingy.

Originally posted by Sorcerer
- On the left side information bar, I’d like to see some contact info, like ICQ numbers, email address or Screen names or something. However they can be left blank and stuff, much like the current stuff is, as well as a bit more space for the current information and titles.
Actually, I believe the ICQ info and such is usually in the bottom of the posts (with Profile and all that shit). SOMEONE just took it out.

And the HP bar would be totally screwed since it’s based on Posts per Day, and with the purging, we’ve got over a year without any posts for quite a few of us.

Oh, and while I’m thinking of it, up the posts of everyone who had it before a custom title to 1000 posts, that way we can change our titles at our own will.

Originally posted by Xelopheris
Oh, and while I’m thinking of it, up the posts of everyone who had it before a custom title to 1000 posts, that way we can change our titles at our own will.

Nah, that would seem kinda wierd, seeing some with 1000, and a lot with less than 300.

A few ideas:

• Lower the between post time
  • Eliminate the between post time for the ToB (it IS a forum to post nonsense)
  • Get some new smilies, or at least change our current ones

Unfortunately, for you guys, unless someone went in and hacked the VB code, there is only 1 admin set time for in between posts. Free forum or not.

Xelo, what the hell are you talking about? The between post time is set by the administrators…it can be changed.

Not for individual forums.

Ah, but nobody asked for individual forums ;p

Originally posted by OmegaflareX
- Eliminate the between post time for the ToB (it IS a forum to post nonsense)

I don’t think the HP/MP bars should be brought back… weren’t they removed because they encouraged people to spam, to increase their “levels”?

Can’t think of any change I’d want right now… thought I must admit, I agree the Earthbound titles sound reeeeeally dumb! I think we should go back to the originals, or at least those from a more serious game. (Some of our female members have protested about being called “manly fish”!) :slight_smile:

No, they were removed because Merlin didn’t have the time to make them work right.

Bah, screw you xelo :stuck_out_tongue:

ok some of this is useful, are there other suggestions? I don’t think the hp/mp/exp bars are coming back until they can have a better use found for them, which might require more fancy work than they deserve. But I’ll fish around. And psh, how can you not like the blue color scheme, it’s kick morass :stuck_out_tongue: