STAR OCEAN 4

I heard it was coming out i just wanted to know if any body knew anything else.

I loved every star ocean

I have heard nothing of this, wheres your source?

There was an announcement a month or two ago.

If it’s anything like the last 2 I won’t even buy it.

I-

Yeah.

I’ll admit the SO 3 was a pain in the @$$ to beat, seeing how I never beat the manticore. But number two was what every free battle system rpg should be. Good characters, hard bosses, side quests out the ying-yang, and sweet graphics(for the time period). If they make SO 4 anything like SO 2 they’ll be in business.

Star Ocean 3 was the only one I played. I don’t intend to play another. Go Breath of Fire 6!!!

SO3 was a giant step backwards for the series. I hope they remedy its many faults in SO4.

Can you name any of these faults? SO2 was fantastic, and although SO3 wasn’t as good as the first 2, it was still worth playing.

The main HUGE one was the invention system. Whoever thought it was a good idea to force you to spend huge wads of cash while waiting around for an item to be created - said item being of course selected totally randomly from a list of twenty or more items, and the player being completely unable to see ahead of time which item was being created - was insane.

Then there were things like total lack of pause button (more egregious with voice acting), no world map (hence no shortcuts), eviscerated Private Actions, music drowning out the voices, confusing and difficult-to-configure AI, and enormous jumps in difficulty at about two points in the game.

I agree that it had a lot going for it, but like Valkyrie Profile 2, tri-Ace’s other big PS2 game, the annoyances turned it from a really good game into one I can barely sit through.

That was awesome. Like when you go to find the Time Gate, and you suddenly find out that the random encounters are actually the boss you just fought, except three at a time.

The AI pissed me off the most. Fayt doing Dimension Door + Side Kick could shave off gigantic chunks of HP at once so gameplay wasn’t THAT much of a problem, but the AI characters were just down right retarded. I loved putting someone on “Go All Out” and having them sit motionless for no reason whatsoever.

And… well, the twist. I didn’t like it, but what I liked even less was that the plot and character development just stops at that. There’s a good chunk of game left after it, but it’s spent doing silent unpersonal dungeon crawling.

Originally Posted by Cidolfas
The main HUGE one was the invention system. Whoever thought it was a good idea to force you to spend huge wads of cash while waiting around for an item to be created - said item being of course selected totally randomly from a list of twenty or more items, and the player being completely unable to see ahead of time which item was being created - was insane.

Don’t forget that while this is all happening about twenty other inventors are also out there cranking out inventions like no tomorrow. While this saves on the absurd cost of development it forces the costs of purchasing additional copies to hike considerably instead forcing the need to develop rapidly even more. Unfortunately the best items can only be created by these inventors many of which can only be hired by fulfilling certain requirements some of which include inventing a difficult to create item that would have been much easier to create with the assistance of the inventor you’re trying to hire to begin with.

Originally Posted by Seraphim Ephyon
That was awesome. Like when you go to find the Time Gate, and you suddenly find out that the random encounters are actually the boss you just fought, except three at a time.

Don’t forget about that house of horrors on the Moon Base where the weakest of enemies have attacks that can perform a rapid 10-hit+ combo damaging attacks with about a 100% chance of stunning it’s victim and they usually travel in groups. >_<

Aside from that though there were a couple of things that annoy me as well, but they’ve either been mentioned already, or I can’t think of any right now since I haven’t played SO3 since '04. (Gee, I wonder why. Also I still don’t really care for the soundtrack very much.)

I see I see, good points, i Liked the inventory system, it wasn’t like anything else even though it could be annoying at times. I thought it had a good story and a cool battle system.

I thought the battle system was it’s biggest flaw by far. As someone said, there’s nothing like setting your team mates to “Go All Out” and have them just stand there and bend over. I really, really disliked how I couldn’t control everybody at once. If it had been like Lunar: SSSC then I would have enjoyed it more.

I didn’t play past like, 10 hours, but the twist sounds completely retarded. I also never got around to the invention system which also sounds retarded and tedious.

SO2 was more fun, I did enjoy the invention system (whatever it was actually for anyway), as well as the food system. Perhaps my only real draw to the game at all was it’s quirky graphics. I got to about the second disk and put it down though - there were too many characters and I didn’t really know what to do with them all. In the end though, as the game got harder, I just got more and more frustrated with the battle system.

I loved SO2. I liked the variety of characters (not only did they have different weapons, skills and equipment, they were also good for different specialties), the relatively fast-paced battle system, and the item creation system (which limited itself to at most four possible items for most abilities). I also liked the two different viewpoints you could use. Story was kind of meh, and the voice acting and translation were atrocious, but it was a lot of fun.

PARABOLA BEAM!!!

That’ll give me nightmares 'till the day I die.

BLLLLLLLOODY MARY!

I made it to the second disk before quiting… let me recap my experience for you wonderful folks.

"SPHERE OF MIGHT! HAMMER OF MIGHT! SIDEKICK! "SPHERE OF MIGHT! HAMMER OF MIGHT! SIDEKICK! "SPHERE OF MIGHT! HAMMER OF MIGHT! SIDEKICK! "SPHERE OF MIGHT! HAMMER OF MIGHT! SIDEKICK! "SPHERE OF MIGHT! HAMMER OF MIGHT! SIDEKICK! "SPHERE OF MIGHT! HAMMER OF MIGHT! SIDEKICK! "SPHERE OF MIGHT! HAMMER OF MIGHT! SIDEKICK! "SPHERE OF MIGHT! HAMMER OF MIGHT! SIDEKICK! "SPHERE OF MIGHT! HAMMER OF MIGHT! SIDEKICK! "SPHERE OF MIGHT! HAMMER OF MIGHT! SIDEKICK! "SPHERE OF MIGHT! HAMMER OF MIGHT! SIDEKICK! "SPHERE OF MIGHT! HAMMER OF MIGHT! SIDEKICK! "SPHERE OF MIGHT! HAMMER OF MIGHT! SIDEKICK! "SPHERE OF MIGHT! HAMMER OF MIGHT! SIDEKICK! "SPHERE OF MIGHT! HAMMER OF MIGHT! SIDEKICK! "SPHERE OF MIGHT! HAMMER OF MIGHT! SIDEKICK! "SPHERE OF MIGHT! HAMMER OF MIGHT! SIDEKICK! "SPHERE OF MIGHT! HAMMER OF MIGHT! SIDEKICK! "SPHERE OF MIGHT! HAMMER OF MIGHT! SIDEKICK! "SPHERE OF MIGHT! HAMMER OF MIGHT! SIDEKICK! "SPHERE OF MIGHT! HAMMER OF MIGHT! SIDEKICK! "SPHERE OF MIGHT! HAMMER OF MIGHT! SIDEKICK! “SPHERE OF MIGHT! HAMMER OF MIGHT! SIDEKICK!”

Ahem… There you have it. :fungah:

Also the invention system was fairly lame the story was pretty boring…and why was there rap music in some of the battles…anybody?

I KNEW something seemed familiar! I reconzied a bunch of sounds and stuff from SO3, i was thinking it was made by the same people but wasn’t sure.

Personally i find this game to be much better than SO3, i dunno… just seems more polished… also i can control everyone at once which i love.

I don’t know why I enjoyed SO2 more than 3. Three had a huge graphical upgrade, the battle system was deep, it was far longer than SO2…but I just felt like I was playing it to play it.

It started out with such a bang too; the game had me all the way through Weddle, or whatever that small village was. But as soon as events unfolded that ended up with you meting Nel, I just felt like I was being cheated. I, for one, didn’t want to go through a rehash of SO2 of someone being stranded, alone on a planet talking about SD-6 protocol or whatever stopped him from getting involved. Claude Kenni played that role a heck of a lot better than Fayt.

And that’s just how I felt about everything. It didn’t deliver anything that really captivated me. As much as I enjoyed SO2, that game’s story was paper thin but it didn’t try to be more than it needed to be. SO3, story-wise, especially, implodes on it’s own perceived complexity and willingness to be epic.

And that plot twist; it was strange but the way it was executed was atrocious. I love how Fayt and co. just deal with something like that with less than a third of the emotional frankness Rena, Leon, and the whole cast of SO2 dealt with the events at the end of Disc 1.

Epic space opera - please, Xenosaga Episode I was a a letdown on that point but it made a darn good atempt because as complex and unneccessarily verbose as it was, it had consistently good voice acting, engaging characters and music I dind’t forget so quickly.

I know nothing about SO4 but I know it better pull out all the stops. Really though, what’s the point of playing SO4 considering what SO3 revealed?