STAR OCEAN 4

If there’s a new Star Ocean, I hope I can just Maria though the game and negate any challenge.

(That is, I always played Maria, and just went Aiming/Scatter/Aiming/Scatter, all at long range, the last scatter gets the 300% cancel bonus and did ridiculous amounts of damage. Not bad for having to press five buttons.)

Originally Posted by Sohee
If there’s a new Star Ocean, I hope I can just Maria though the game and negate any challenge.

If it’s going to be anything like 3 then I see no shame in that.

One of my beefs with 3 was with Sofia or the lack thereof. She kept getting billed as the stereotypical protagonist’s girl/magic girl but her absence throughout the game makes any potential character development irrelevant, and not only that but it overshadows one of the best parts of the game’s story the part with the Sofia lookalike.

They generally didn’t know what to do with the characters they had. Mirage was criminally underused, even in the Director’s Cut we got.

I thought Cliff and Nel were good enough, Mirage’s understandable as is Adray, Albel had enough scenes to cement the fact that he wanted Fayt to pork him, and I can’t imagine anyone expecting much at all from Roger…

Though the rest were pretty badly used. Peppita barely appears, Sophia is as stated above, and Maria just… yes, she’s angry about what was done to her, we get that, anything else? Some soul searching, forgiveness, some display of her talents as a leader… hell, I’d settle for her starting a cliché love triangle with Fayt and Sophia, just DO SOMETHING.

In addition, there is one thing that always irked me: The Crest of Destruction. The super-awesome destructive weapon that supposedly is the universe’s last chance. Never actually did anything. Yeah, okay, he vaporized that starship, cool. And? When the actual enemy is revealed, everyone completely forgets about it. Sophia and Maria’s powers end up doing far more than his.

And the existential philosophy bullshit from the ending, what the FUCK was that? I knew of the whole “universe is shaped according to perception Vs perception is shaped according to the universe” from high school philosophy classes. It’s cute, but who in their right minds would just drop something like that in a predominantly sci-fi story with no warning?

Why is Mirage “understandable”? She had a far bigger role in the story than Adray did (he was mainly just dropped in). She was in the original game, just not playable. We just don’t find out anything about her. Yeah, Cliff and Nel were okay, but even there I’d argue they could have done quite a bit more if they were interested.

Because she precisely wasn’t meant to be a playable character, not even a big deal in the story. She was there doing some work, and that’s it. It’s pretty odd to expect considerable development from circumstantial NPCs, and she was no different from Clair, Tynave or Farleen.

Yeah, she pretty much spent the entire game working off-screen, but I really doubt you would have paid her too much attention if it weren’t for the changes in the collector’s edition.

Except that she had much more screen time, figured more largely in Cliff’s and Maria’s background, and was generally a far more interesting character. She was with the party in general for most of the story, either working in parallel or with the party itself.

Going a bit off topic here, but…

Am I the only one that wanted to STRANGLE EVERY LAST BREATH OUT OF FARLEEN EACH TIME SHE OPENED HER MOUTH?

God, her voice acting, just… God…

May the grace of Apris be with you!

We all did, Spoony, we all did.

Why strangle her theres a chance that she could be resuscitated. I prefer the slicing of the throat and the ripping out of the larynx. That way if she does come back she can’t speak a word. Ahh peaceful silence and violence. I also hope to lord that they don’t try to go with over the top endings. Never beatin’ the games but the ones on youtube made me cry. Not the quality of the video, the story of the game.

I agree on the endings. I watched them on youtube and they were pretty bad. The only one that managed to stand up on it’s own two legs was the Fayt and Maria ending. The original ending also seemed relatively anticlimatic to me. I wanted a big time cinematic battle or something.