Somebody please backup my rant? *FF6*

One day some guy says the Cyan’s ethnicity is French. I say Cyan is obviously Japanese because he’s a samurai that equips katanas.

Then he replies “it’s because people thinks he’s a samurai but he is a noble frenchman”

You look at countless amano artworks and you can see him posing as a samurai. Hell, even doujins make him wear a karate gi.

Then he says his name is french. Big deal. Just because he has name like Garamonde doesn’t make him french.

Next he rants about that Doma doesn’t look japanese. Does the word lack of mb bring anything to mind?

So I need as much backup to my statement, Cyan is NOT french. Pierre from CC obviously is, but NOT Cyan.

Cyan is Domish. You think they have France and Japan in the FF universe?

WTF!!! He’s more medivel.

he’s been doing some Cross-Trainign, so now he’s a katana-using Knght.

Ummm… wouldn’t his Olde English dialect be a giveaway? But then again, his original name of Cayenne Garamonde is pretty French, if you ask me. Of course, the world of Terra isn’t supposed to be directly related to our world.

In any case, Cyan’s probably not French in origin. If you want an example of a true French character, then you can’t do better than Jean from BoF II.

Or Pierre from Chrono Cross.

Originally posted by DomaDragoon
In any case, Cyan’s probably not French in origin. If you want an example of a true French character, then you can’t do better than Jean from BoF II.

Am I the only one who thinks it’s a little . . . err, discrmatory that they made this obviously French character a frog?

French or Japanese Cyan is just too slow for me to care that much anyway.

FF6 doesn’t have Earth nationalities, so the whole question is moot. He’s got a French name, and uses Japanese weapons and archaic English language, so he can’t say to belong to any of these three nations unless he belongs to all of them (he’s actually an amalgamation of all three, as far as I’m concerned). As for the nobility, there are English, French, and Japanese stereotypes that fit into that mold equally well.

So would you say that same comment for Yuffie living in a Japanese town? I know the peoples nationalities really don’t apply as much as here. And Cyan didn’t have much of an archaic accent i the japanese version.

laughs at Mako’s comment

good point about Yuffie, but she isn’t actually known in the game as japanese. she’s Wutaian

Obviously, there are reflections of our world in the FF worlds. In FFVII has Wutai and the Costa Del Sol, for example. However, they are independent in their own world. You can’t directly relate them to Japan and Spain, even if their cultures appear to be similar. Terry Pratchett does the same thing in his Discworld novels. Cross-referencing cultures is just a way of making them familiar to us, so that we understand them better and they don’t need a big mid-game explanation. Just from the settings, we know that Costa Del Sol is a tourist resort, and that Wutai is an oriental town.

As to the original question, I believe it has already been answered. Cyan is from Doma. End of story.

Am I the only one who really like Cyan in FF6? Besides Sabin, Cyan would be the one I used most often. Then again I usually give him Running Shoes. The best way about his Swordtech though is to have your other 3 characters attack first, hope that it will wait a while, then use the Swordtech. Works just fine with me.

The difference is that Yuffie is quite obviously a Japanese stereotype and lives in an obviously Japanese town. But Cyan’s details are generic enough to come from several different backgrounds, so you can’t definitively say he’s any of them.

Originally posted by DomaDragoon

Or Harle from Chrono Cross. I think he’s probably Japanese. Just something about his face and stance in all the arwork gives me that impression.

If Harle’s going to be in this, then I’ll also say Greco.

And Cyan does look a bit like Nobuo, I’m not the first to say that.

Cyan isnt french. The proof is that he actually fights instead of running away, or surrendering. If Cyan were french, there would be a “run” in place of “attack” and instead of scrolling to get “run” there would be a “Surrender” option.

Originally posted by Born_Loser
Cyan isnt french. The proof is that he actually fights instead of running away, or surrendering. If Cyan were french, there would be a “run” in place of “attack” and instead of scrolling to get “run” there would be a “Surrender” option.

PUNCH

Originally posted by LunarCry
[b]Obviously, there are reflections of our world in the FF worlds. In FFVII has Wutai and the Costa Del Sol, for example. However, they are independent in their own world. You can’t directly relate them to Japan and Spain, even if their cultures appear to be similar. Terry Pratchett does the same thing in his Discworld novels. Cross-referencing cultures is just a way of making them familiar to us, so that we understand them better and they don’t need a big mid-game explanation. Just from the settings, we know that Costa Del Sol is a tourist resort, and that Wutai is an oriental town.

As to the original question, I believe it has already been answered. Cyan is from Doma. End of story. [/b]

How is Costa del Sol Spain? It’s more Hawaii or Costa Rica.