So I ended up buying Kingdom Hearts.

Yup yup. But Setz is stupid. He started playing it thinking “FF…?” by the way he talks.

Thats ok, i was starting to worry that i have the game and didn’t know anything about it

My bad then, but oh well.

Honestly, if there were no Disney characters (and no FF characters; I heard that Tetsuya Nomura put the FF characters in the game simply because he didn’t want to make a bunch of new side characters. I think that’s lame, personally), there might be a decent focus on the story you’re presented with at the beginning of the game…you know…the interesting one. The one that presents the idea of sailing away on an adventure with your two best friends…watching the result of high tensions between two friends that are rivals…a competition between two tense partners over a love interest…all that stuff that they throw your direction in the beginning of the game, before the game turns into “Go to Alice Land and save Alice. Now, go to Tarzan Land and save some gorillas.” Which is pretty much exactly what happened all the way up until the closing hours of the game. When I played the game, I seriously thought “Wow…this is the game that people love SO much. I was actually gonna BUY this game when I got a PS2.” I think that the Disney characters in the game are purely a gimmick, and I really think that’s a big reason why a lot of people like it so much. It honestly WOULD be better if they focused on the main three characters instead of all the Disney nonsense.

Also, Nomura said that if he were to make another KH game, it would be a prequel of sorts, and would have no Disney connection whatsoever. more fuel to my fire in saying that the Disney crap is just a pure gimmick.

Of course…they’d still have to deal with the clunky-as-shit gameplay, but fixing the story, which showed promise from the start, would have been good…

Sorry if I’m being harsh, but you guys should all chill the fuck out, too. Some people actually don’t like Kingdom Hearts. Let’s pretend you go into it purely objectively, instead of “OMFG DISNEY RPG!!!11”, it’s actually a pretty damn big letdown.

I have no prob with people not liking KH, they are pefectly in their right to do so. But if you don’t like KH, why buy it and then moan about Disney being in it and how it would be better if Disney wasn’t in it? What I said was that the point of KH was Disney and FF were together in one game,not that people weren’t allowed to dislike it. Thats all.

I said that I bought it because it’s going up in rarity and price. Wild ARMs 4 was the same price as KH, with WA4 new, and KH preowned. A lot of the games I buy I never actually play thoroughly enough to get into it. I bought Vagrant Story and it sucked; but I still have it for collection value.

Hell, I got to the colosseum in KH and am fighting Cerberus, and I’m considering stopping playing for the same reason SG said; the story is just “go here save this” from the point Disney even appears on screen.

See, I thought the game rocked. I think it had amazingly unclunky gameplay, and I really liked the objectiveyness of the story (I thought going and saving each Disney world was pretty fun, and they were really creative about each worlds’ problems, etc). There was an awesome integration of the Final Fantasy characters into the Disney world.

Shit that game fucking owned

Damn

Shit

Hmm. I was perhaps a little harsh in my previous posts. My apologies, Setz. But don’t stop at the coliseum. It might seem a little “meh” around then, but I’d suggest you play a little further and see if you can get into it more from then on (happened to me during my first play through to be completely honest, but I was mostly focused on the game’s story, which SG mentioned). Try to play through the entire game at least once before making any real judgements. :smiley:

Well, it’s not the only reason why I’m considering stopping. I had already gone through like 3/4ths of this game before, and restarting is kind of boring. However, I will continue until the game is complete.

I’ll be honest here: KH does have a severe issue with the Disney worlds. The story is practically put on complete hold for a good while in the first game until you get past Aladdin, and it’s even worse in KH2 where it’s “Game Start->Disney Gimmick->Game->Disney Gimmick Part 2->Game”. As pretty as some of the world are, and I must be the only living soul in the planet that liked KH2’s Atlantis, it’s NEVER a good idea to make sidequests (And that’s what they are) take so much time from the real game.

This is NOT because they are Disney worlds though. This is because they failed to integrate the plot into each scenario, not because the scenarios were uncompatible with the story. If instead of Wonderland, Neverland and Monstro we had had Balamb, Midgard and Alexandria, we probably would be complaining about how the FF gimmicks take so much time from the plot as well. The second half of KH2 is slightly better in this aspect.

On the other hand, there’s the good Disney elements. Donald and Goofy perform their roles perfectly fine, as does Mickey. Maleficent is alright, and that’s about it for the relevant cast. Bottom line is: The writers messed up, it’s not the fault of the Disney elements.

Thank you for giving it a chance Setz. I also feel that i have to apologize for my earlier posts…they were a bit aggresive. By the way KH does get better nearer the end.

Seraph has a point.

I didn’t mind KH that much, but KH2 is a bit annoying. At least KH only made you go through the Disney worlds once. However, I strongly believe that any fan of Square should play through at least KH once. The original worlds are outstanding.

applauds

Also, for whoever it was that said he/she had trouble accepting Disney characters acting serious and not comical: Didn’t you ever watch Ducktales, or read the old Disney COmics? Those were full of adventure, andit wasn’t all jsut random sight gags. THey had some rpetty neat stuff in those.

Try playing Brandish. It didn’t have storyline, nor good graphics and less than magnificent battles. If KH with all these bonuses is shit, I’d like to know where Brandish would rank with you.

The point about bastardised Disney is point on. Disney shouldn’t be trusted with their intellectual property. Sadly it’s the writers that make or break stories and characters. I played KH and found it enjoyable. Only as a quick break though.

M, D and G have appeared in a lot of stories, from serious to slapstick. Val is well read too. (post 4444,ev0l!) I dedicate my last sentence to Donald, who is bloody serious.

I meant that it bastardized Disney in the sense that it changes how they are seen to children. I mean, seeing Goofy with a shielf fighting some shadows would probably change the opinion of Disney to a child’s perspective.

I dunno, what would have hurt my childish perspective - and did - of these characters would be Donald having enough brains to be a mage. What the heck? I mean, no offense to him, but I have never before seen him portrayed as the kind of character with enough patience to study magic. Nor does he tend to be the smart guy of the bunch he’s normally in - and to me, that’s requirements for being a magician.

That said, I enjoyed KH and am looking forwards to KH2. I loved the feeling of freedom in the Atlantis level, for one :slight_smile:

Didn’t Donald start with only one spell, and based on how fast Sora learns magic, he didn’t have to study much.

And besides, between him and Goofy, it was an easy pick. I would have liked to have Merlin in my party though, The Sword in the Stone is my favorite Disney movie :stuck_out_tongue:

Its a very common complaint against the game, really.

I loved the first one cos the whole idea was just so unfathomable. In the first one, it worked. The disney characters were very important to the plot, and it just all jelled.

The second one, they seemed so out of place, the disney worlds seemed like filler and had little to do with the overall plot.