So, Chrono Trigger DS

Picked it up yesterday, only been able to play a little bit of it (up to where you go to the future for the first time). Anyone else playing?

I will hopefully start Friday, if not while on a plane on Tuesday. I’m really looking forward to playing this game again. :smiley:

Ditto. I still have two other portable games to finish, but on the other hand I’m going to be on a trip in two weeks so will have lots of quality time with my DS and PSP. :sunglasses:

At Middle Ages (after you get Robo). Been enjoying myself so far. Though playing in Classic Mode is a bitch. How can anyone even read the text? So I guess I’m stuck in playing DS mode (not that it’s bad). Kinda wish they didn’t make the text so small…

They changed the name of the Flint Edge. F-.

Ship, goddamn you!

Aww man. :frowning:

Aw man, lame! I really hate when they change names.

Somebody stole my DS so I can’t play it :expressionless:

They’ve changed up a few things. Like Revive is now Athenian Water, Confuse is now Frenzy, and the Lode Sword is the Silver Sword. (There’s probably more, but I haven’t got that far yet.)

Confuse turning into Frenzy is a pretty sensible change. I remember when I was little, I never used it cos I was all like “status spells suck!” lol.

Man! I was like that too SG

Then I used it one day and was like… Holeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee shit :open_mouth: It’s a damn good tech

Did they do the whole shit-3d thing again like they did with 4? Man…

No, it’s strictly 2D. However they still have all the bonuses from the PSX version (cutscenes included) making this the definitive version (as long as you don’t care about the weakened dialog).

From what I’ve been hearing aside from the effort of preserving the sound quality (which is a very good thing imho) they didn’t do much to it. They just added a few knickknacks and the pointless monster arena.

Also I went and looked up the extra ending on YouTube, and it only comes out to say what was implied in both the original version of CT as well as CC. The new boss is the Time Devourer/Schala from CC, and fighting it only reveals that something more than brute strength is needed (i.e. the Chrono Cross) to beat it (also there’s the possibility that Crono and gang got blown away, but I may be looking too far into it though). After that Magus is warped to the present era, but without most of his memory under the assumption that in twenty years he’ll be much more feebler and mysterious than in CT.

I can sell you some Athenian Water at top prices! Contact me today!

I wouldn’t exactly call it the dialog “weakened”. It is quite strong, with the main differences being that Frog is no longer “Thou”-ing up every sentence needlessly and most of the random silly lines neckbeards have been quoting for the past decade are changed, generally to be more concise.

The monster arena isn’t quite pointless, as you can get a lot of formerly one off equipment there, not to mention capsules (tabs).

The new boss is NOT Time Devourer, or at least not yet. It is more the beginnings of Time Devourer, Schala still has partial control. but has apparently wished for everything to become nothing.

Sounds a little Final Fantasy-ified. What are the new dungeons?

A really shitty fetch quest chain going back and forth in the same area in 600 AD and 1000 AD that looks like it was made by a 9 year old in RPG Maker, with the only real reward being a shop that sell megalixirs. I haven’t tried the other one, but apparently it’s a different dungeon in each time period.

… Umm. Is Lightning/Ice/Fire/Antipode 2 -> Lightningra/Icera/Fira/Antipodera? If it is, then… uh, I think I can start beating my head to the desk before the game even gets here…

There is no lightning in Antipode :slight_smile:

To my knowledge, I know Fire/Ice/Lightning 2 is now Fire/Ice/Lightning II. Not sure about Antipode.

Antipode/2/3 is now Antipode Bomb/II/III