Slow Dying

Ah.
I see.
I got ntohing more to say.

Off topic. Extremely. Off. Topic. It’s getting on my nerves that lately every second fucking topic one person makes a post with the word "uriel"in it, and the bashing morphed into an "aw-stop-bashing-uriel-again-he-wasnt-such-a-bad-guy (DRONES), which isn’t necssarily that much better. GodDAMNit.

And I can only agree with the others that news and stuff come in waves. If rpgc was a huge iMood- Icon, It’d probably say “bored” right now.

So the overall opinion is that this is a dead time, but we are not dead yet.

Rock on all.

Originally posted by Sorcerer
Well, antisocial has multiple meanings, as do most words. Yes, it does mean that, but it also means to purposly withdraw oneself from social settings.

Unsocial, then. You’re observing the phenomenon of the common vernacular being inaccurate.

Back to the topic.

Anyways, I like it slow here. Why? Other forms are so lively, that new threads get pushed down to the second page within 2 minutes. And most of it is spam.

Frums like this are ideal for lazy people like me that don’t post a lot :smiley:

Originally posted by Ivan
Unsocial, then. You’re observing the phenomenon of the common vernacular being inaccurate.

an·ti·so·cial ( P ) Pronunciation Key (nt-sshl, nt-)
adj.
<ol><li>Shunning the society of others; not sociable.</li>
<li>Hostile to or disruptive of the established social order; marked by or engaging in behavior that violates accepted mores: gangs engaging in vandalism and other antisocial behavior.</li>
<li>Antagonistic toward or disrespectful of others; rude.</li></ol>

un·so·cial ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-sshl)
adj.
Having or showing a lack of desire for the company of others.

unsocial

adj : not seeking or given to association; being or living without companions; “the unsocial disposition to neglect one’s neighbors” [ant: social]

Thank you, TD.

Originally posted by Dragon Tear
And I can only agree with the others that news and stuff come in waves. If rpgc was a huge iMood- Icon, It’d probably say “bored” right now.

First off, I completely agree with the first part, but disagree with the quoted part; I think we’d be more “tired” than “bored” because of all the holidays. :stuck_out_tongue:

Had busy holidays, hm? ^.~

Originally posted by Evangelion
If there are so many pointless threads I can’t see why you people are without power to start brilliant threads of your own. Maybe that’ll reduce all the crying about it.

Because that would require some, y’know, actual WORK.

Wah wah wah this forum is dying its not exactly the same as it was in the good old days blah blah blah wah wah wah…

…whatever. Nothing stays the same over long stretches of time, especially on the internet. This forum isn’t “slowly dying” but it is, in fact, like everything else, slowly changing.

It’s bound to happen. The mix of people we have here changes as new people come and old people go (and some other new people come and then quickly go). The times we’re living in change; the context of the world around us. You know, from something as minor as what systems are out there and what games are around to what’s going on geopolitically and stuff like that. That’s going to affect our mood. Also, every year each of us is getting older. For some that means growing up a bit, for others that means becoming wiser, others it might just mean getting more bitter and jaded (points to self). Point being all those factors are going to cause people to behave differently and, hence, interact here differently. Be it in post frequency, post length, post tone, etc.

Overall, we’re bigger than we used to be – you’ll notice I mention this point every time this “RPGC is dying” nonsense comes up – there’s a lot more people running around here than there used to be. We’re going from small town to big city. So it’s a little harder for everyone to know most everyone else “personally” because there’s just so many people.

This is both “good” and “bad” depending on how you look at it. I do think it’s connected to the increase in “newbie hazing” that a lot of people have noticed lately. Didn’t really get that vibe when I came here, and might not have stuck around if I had gotten it. Yeah, that’s a bad thing.

But getting bigger and new people coming in aren’t bad things. It’s just changes. It’s just things being different. It’s just, you know, life.

And by the way, the “good old days” weren’t. The serious geopolitical discussion threads have always been sandwiched between “Badger Badger Badger Badger” and “Eat The Hippo!” type stuff. It’s that range and ability to dance back and forth from the serious to the silly and all points in between in such a short span that makes this place worth coming back to.

The only reason I really keep coming back is because of the friendships I’ve made. I’ve been here for like, 5 years. I know some people here pretty damn well, and there are a few people here that I can count on to be there - a luxury that I have found avoids me in the real world. I have talked my real problems over with people here, not in public, and they have made me feel better. That’s the real reason I come here.

That and Charlemange.

Originally posted by Sorcerer

That and Charlemange.

Well yeah, that almost goes without saying, I mean, don’t we all?

well, judging from how many new topics came along today, I’d say we’re on the road for recovery. Somewhat.

Originally posted by Dragon Tear

:mwahaha: :hahaha; Sorry, I find that kinda funny.

Charl rocks.

< sagely internet forum veteran advice >

I’ve been part of internet forums for a long time. A LONG time. I first became a regular at an internet forum…um…over six years ago. That was at The History Channel. (Yes, you read that right.) Nice place, lots of interesting topics, and most everyone had a good 10-20 years on me. Ran across my first lamers, my first forum fights, my first community. Stayed there two years, at which point most everything that interested me had been discussed. It was VERY uncommon for regulars to hang around more than a year or two there…I went back briefly a year after leaving to find only two or three folks I recognized. The place changed completely in just two years’ time: different topics, different faces, but it was never “dead”.

But that’s not the main forum I wanted to post about.

The other community where I’ve spent the four years since then is Antioch. That community used to be VERY similar to this one, and in most aspects still is. It started out based around a game (a campaign made for Starcraft) and then expanded to cover multiple Starcraft campaigns and then Warcraft and other games and now is about any- and everything under the sun. I (and many others) still consider the times when The Antioch Chronicles campaign was the focus to be the Golden Age of that community, and that ended some time ago. But the community, even two years after TAC’s cancellation, has just as many members as ever, and indeed even more. Sure, some of the faces have changed, some have simply vanished. But despite all the changes, despite the slowdowns at times, despite the community being almost completely different from when it started, it’s still Antioch. There are ups and downs, slow times when it takes days for a topic to reach the second page and fast times when you can’t seem to find topics they breeze by so fast, times when the lamers run thick and times when every topic seems intelligent, times when things are comfy-cozy and others when everyone’s in a tizzy and at each other’s throats. That’s just forum life.

I think one of the best examples–and how I sometimes think of Antiochers–is a family. You have your crazy uncles, your familar and favorite cousins, your long-lost relatives that only come by occationally, the aunt that everyone hates but is still always invited to gatherings, the black sheep that everyone mutters and rumors about, the kids that run loose, the new members that marry in or are born, etc etc etc. You may drive each other nuts, you may love each other, you may hate each other, you may look forward to spending time together or not be able to wait to get away to your own home again, but you’re family. You DO get together and deal with all the different people in your own way and, at least for the most part, get along. People marry and move away. They get busy with work and aren’t able to make it as often as they used to. New people replace them. People grow older and change. The whole family changes. Some holidays are well-attended, others are not.

So it goes.

Fear not when things seem to slow down, or change, or when you can’t even seem to remember what it USED to be like anymore. It’s just how these things happen.

Now quit the doomsaying and pass the turkey. :hahaha;

< /sagely internet forum veteran advice >

The History Channel forum had lamers? What the hell?

Originally posted by IonMage
well, judging from how many new topics came along today, I’d say we’re on the road for recovery. Somewhat.

That would be your imagination and the tricks it plays on you.