RPG quirks, revisited

Once, I saw a thread about weird and funny things that were put into RPGs intentionally. I thought I’d point out some that I could think of:

• In Zelda 3, the fact that soldiers can hide in short grass without being noticed, even if you walk on them.

• In the Mana series, the way that after several power ups of full body magical armor, even better armor can be had in the form of a skimpy bikini.

• The raft scene in Illusion of Gaia, which is the most blatant, extensive, drawn out sexual allusion in all of computer gaming. I can’t believe that I never see anyone else comment on it.

Turn-based RPGs:
“Okay, I hit you, now you hit me.”

Cloud trips over Midgar on the worldmap.

RPG characters can go 100+ hours without eating or going to the bathroom.

In most RPGs, it’s never nighttime unless the story demands it.

You can walk into strangers’ houses, talk to them in a perfectly friendly way, extract useful information, scream, fight battles, and steal any and all items from there, no matter the value, without them caring or noticing that they don’t know you or that you have taken their most beloved possessions.

You can walk through vehicles without actually entering them.

The centerfold in Secret of Mana. :mwahaha:

It’s night in the world map. You enter a city, and it’s not night anymore.

A party of three is becomes one person when out of battle. (older rpgs)

I’m currently replaying FF7, and I STILL cannot understand how Red XIII (a LION!) and Cait Sith (a CAT riding a huge MOOGLE!) could fool ANYONE by simple putting on NORMAL clothes!! It’s the ONLY bit of cartoon logic in an otherwise serious game!

Originally posted by Ivan
- In the Mana series, the way that after several power ups of full body magical armor, even better armor can be had in the form of a skimpy bikini.

It’s about time somebody notices THAT. Bikinis should never be classified as armors, whatever the game is. Never. Not even if they’re magical. :stuck_out_tongue:

In FF7, I’ve always thought there was something wrong with the rocket launch and Shera’s, uh, location. I’m not sure if it’s a spoiler, but naah. Who will read that anyway? :stuck_out_tongue: The first time the launch was aborted, it was because Shera was still somewhere on board and she would’ve been burned. However, when the moment comes to really takes off with the rocket later in the game, Shera is still on board checking stuff, but she doesn’t get burned. Er, that’s it.

In some games (especially FF) your sword can damage any armor, robot, stone, etc. without breaking (thankfully).

In most older rpgs (CT, DW, BoF) the main character doesn’t speak a word (or very little) and yet the other party members can carry on conversations with the main character (or speak for him/her).

No matter if it’s olde english or modern, everyone understands everybody.

Last but not least, the fact that nobody seems to be frightened by Cala’s enormous amount of HPs and Str.

Originally posted by Cala
You can walk into strangers’ houses, talk to them in a perfectly friendly way, extract useful information, scream, fight battles, and steal any and all items from there, no matter the value, without them caring or noticing that they don’t know you or that you have taken their most beloved possessions.

That’s not always true. I remember in PSIV, I tried to open up the drawer in Alys’ room and she called me a pervert or something and refused to let me see what was in there. <.< Most of the time though, you’re right. Silly oblivious npcs >.> Which makes it funny when the game does include someone yelling “what are you doing going through my stuff?!”, etc

There’s nothing I can think of that isn’t here, so I’ll just leave it at that.

That list covers about everything I think. And it’s even up to date with all the newer games’ rules.

HA!! That’a a GREAT list, Demigod, thanks for the link! It’ll be useful for telling what should be avoided (and what is expected) in RPG Fanfics.
BTW, instead of just mentioning cliches, how about pointing out those games that actually AVOID them? For example, in TALES OF DESTINY, not only you can’t take stuff from people’s houses, the game actually CHASTISES you for trying! :hahaha;

RPG characters can go 100+ hours without eating or going to the bathroom.

That reminds me… in RS3, party members that sit in a chair get just as good a night’s rest as the ones that are using a bed.

I tend to think of that as more of a design flaw than an intentional quirk, though.

True, though items that are part of the decor are also common. There are plenty of games where you can loot freely, but you can’t touch some potentially useful axe or armor that’s right out in the open in the middle of the wall.

By the way, is there an easy way to quote posts? I’ve been manually cutting and pasting, but that doesn’t give me that convenient “originally posted by” line.

Originally posted by Ivan
[b]True, though items that are part of the decor are also common. There are plenty of games where you can loot freely, but you can’t touch some potentially useful axe or armor that’s right out in the open in the middle of the wall.

By the way, is there an easy way to quote posts? I’ve been manually cutting and pasting, but that doesn’t give me that convenient “originally posted by” line. [/b]

Click on the quote button on the post you want to quote.