real person Cameos

I was playing FFVIII lately (just bought it) and I was wondering, Cid looks just like the actor Robin Williams (that,s what I thought) but is he the only real-person cameo in FFs?

I heard GoGo was some governor or something from the real world and his “lair” was described his biography or something

On Gogo, yoinked from Red’s LJ, where she yoinked it from some FAQ [j on GameFAQs’s list]

The more recent (and even more popular) theory is that Gogo is Adlai Stevenson, a long deceased politician. Before you burst out laughing, read this piece (from a post on the GameFAQs Final Fantasy III Message Board [I do not know who originally posted this information, though]):

I have tried, over the months, to convince you people to stop arguing
over who gogo is accept the fact that he is Adlai Stevenson, former
governor of Illinois and failed Democratic presidential candidate in
1952 and 1956.

Here is ALL the proof, and if you need more, you’re sick.

Quote #1
I am always amazed by the resistance offered to progress, even the most
inocous progress. Imagine, if you will, jumping from one rickety bridge
to another, with blind men running back and forth trying to push you
off, and you will have some idea what legislating progress is like. The
good news is that if you’re pushed off, you can always climb back up
and try again.

• from his book ‘‘What I Think’’

Quote #2
I suppose I could wear a hat, but them my teeth would fall out to spite
me. I could get false ones, but doubtless then I would get fat just to
prove my teeth work. The easiest course is to drape my whole body in
robes and shawls and hope no one recognizes my eyes.

• Commenting about his baldness to an NBC reporter in 1952

Quote #3
President Eisenhower continues to amaze me. He appears to be an
ungainly and graceless man, but when [senator Robert] Taft makes a
move, no matter how ridiculous, Eisenhower copies it with the skill of
[French mime] Marcel Merceau. I haven’t achieved such levels of mimicry
with my own party, but I’m working on it.

• 1952 interview

Quote #4
The legislature is a frightening thing. To this day the state capitol
building seems to me a beast ready to swallow me up; the very walls and
cielings seem to crush you as you walk through it.

• from his book ‘‘Friends and Enemies’’

Quote #5
Today we are plunged into a battle that is familiar to us. the enemies
and the problems are the same. But the terrain is different. The world
around us has changed and shifted so much we no longer recognize it.

• Giving a speech at Charlottesville, 1960

Experience Egg
Stevenson’s ex-wife once wrote a book about him called The Egghead and
I. In 1952, one of his campaign slogans was “Stevenson - The
Experienced Candidate.”

When you first meet Gogo, he says “I have been idle for too long.”
Possibly referring to the fact that Stevenson had been dead for 30
years when Final Fantasy VI came out.

A number of years ago a bill was passed regarding the transfer of funds
among government-owned, government-operated (GOGO) laboratories. What
was the name of this bill? The STEVENSON-Wydler Act, of course.

I always thought Gogo was Kathy Valentine or Belinda Carlisle under those robes.

That’s my theory and I’m sticking to it, in spite of my total lack of supporting evidence. Don’t ruin my dream.

Wow, that’s very convincing evidence… I wonder if they really did model him after that? I doubt it though, it’s probably just a big coincidence.

hums Twilight Zone theme

WAsn’t Luke Skywaker and Indiana Jone’s in one of the FFs?

No, any resemblance between FF characters and real-life characters are purely coincidental. No one is intentionally modeled after anyone.

well, Cid still looks like Robin Williams

Originally posted by Cidolfas
No, any resemblance between FF characters and real-life characters are purely coincidental. No one is intentionally modeled after anyone.

Actually, I think Squall was modelled after the J-rock star, Gackt. I’m sure I read that the singer was at least an inspiration for him, and if you compare pictures of them both they do have similar features.

I was wondering who the hell that Gackt guy was after seeing Steve’s SN and desktop.

Gackt claimed in a television program that Squall Leonhart of Squaresoft’s role-playing game Final Fantasy VIII was modeled after him, and referred to Squall as “Gackt #2.” There appears to be some facial and hair-style similarities (see above) as well as costume similarities (see below).

That first picture of him looks hot.

But all the others make me look at Squall now as a woman.

And that first pic in the second row…UGH. Looks like he’s turning his upper body right around from his legs.

Originally posted by Evangelion
[b]That first picture of him looks hot.

But all the others make me look at Squall now as a woman.

And that first pic in the second row…UGH. Looks like he’s turning his upper body right around from his legs. [/b]

HUSSY!
All pictures of Gackt look hot >.>;;

Yeah, the cyberland gackt does look a bit odd :stuck_out_tongue:

He needs to go eat a sandwich or something. I’m scared if I went to jump on him I’d break him. Not that I’d ever do that to a J-Rock star or anything. Not one that looked like Squall. Nope.

Interesting character though. I like his facial features the way he looks. I’m not saying good looking but he looks like a really fascinating person.

I’ve heard that Rinoa was based on the Japanese singer and actress Matsu Takako.
They look pretty similar, and she even did a song called Shooting Star.

I just looked her up and other than the hair in some photos, Rinoa could look like a majority of Asian women.

That’s true. I’m not sure which site I got that from, but the pictures they had looked really alike, especially the hair.
Then again, Gackt only looked like Squall for a certain period of time, he looks really different now. If Square were going to base their characters off anybody, the people in question would only look similar for a certain amount of time because everybody changes their look now and then.
I’ve also heard that Rinoa was based on Shannon Dougherty and Squall on River Phoenix, but I really don’t see those.

Originally posted by Evangelion
He needs to go eat a sandwich or something. I’m scared if I went to jump on him I’d break him. Not that I’d ever do that to a J-Rock star or anything. Not one that looked like Squall. Nope.

Unfortunately, unlike Cala, you’re too young and insufficiently boyfriend-free to flirt with, Eva.

Oh please darling, my boyfriend is a mere 7 years younger than you at the ripe old age of 21 going on to 22. I’m not your average giggly head 16 year old. Don’t hesitate to love me:kissy:

uh, is Gackt a guy or girl?
he looks feminine… or she looks like a dude…
is he/she like both?
he’s weird… or she’s weird…::dekar!::