Quirks and Anecdotes thread!

I’d wanted to do this thread for a while, but I wasn’t sure how I would organize it. I think I’ve got an idea though, let’s try this…

Name an odd quirk about you, then, if you can provide one (It’s better to choose one where you can), provide an anecdote to go with it. You can also just do one or the other, you don’t have to do both :stuck_out_tongue:

Quirk: Getting wet unexpectedly invokes seriously violent reactions from me. I’m not quite sure why, but when I get wet, even slightly, when I don’t expect to or don’t want to, I get really angry.

Anecdote: One day, when I had just moved into my house, I decided to take a shower. The shower nozzle is located on the ceiling, and when you change its direction, water will quickly drip down a few seconds later. Well, at the time, I didn’t know this. So, I get in the shower, and the nozzle was pointing towards the faucets. I’m all like 'I don’t want to turn the shower on and get blasted, so I turn it the other way. So I do that, and I bend over to turn the water on…and suddenly, a grippe of cold water ran right down my back. Instinctively, I turned around and punched the shower nozzle right off. I got home that day, and it was fixed. No one ever even mentioned it to me. The end.

Uhh in winter, and especially when it gets windy, my hands turn purple. REALLY purple, like a cadaver, and I occasionally I would get sent out of class to the nurses office when a teacher thought I was sick.
One day when we had a project I hadn’t finished I got a girl I knew to make me up to look a little pale, washed my hands and let them dry in the wind. I looked like death warmed over and got a reprieve.

Quirk: I contradict myself very often. And if I notice it myself, I try to correct it, usually ending in total confusion to the people I’m trying to talk to. If they were paying attention, that is. And if certain parties notice it… they start making smartass remarks on the contradicted things.

Originally posted by Skankin’ Garbage
Getting wet unexpectedly invokes seriously violent reactions from me. I’m not quite sure why, but when I get wet, even slightly, when I don’t expect to or don’t want to, I get really angry.
You get angry? or just violent? I want you to get violent, but not angry with me. Cuz I am totally planing on splashing water on you at the cal meet. not a splash, just like, dipping my fingers in water and flicking them at you.

My quirk: I have a lot of them. I dont like germs, needles, milk, death, snakes, mushrooms, heights, crowds, elevators. In that order. and I cant stand it when things are uneven.

Anecdote: Though I detest milk, I am willing to ignore it for a joke. I was at my grandmothers, my aunt lives there, we were in her room, playing Dr. Mario. My brother asked me to get him some milk. so I took his glass, which was one of those small jelly jars with the pictures on it. it had winnie the pooh on it. anyway, we have this like inside joke where when appropriate we say “that aint milk” so I took the glass, into the bathroom. climbed out the window, which leads into the backyard, entered the back door, into the kitchen, filled the glass a tiny bit. climbed back through the window. it took a while to take off the screen (since I had to use my finger nails) and go through the whole journey, anyway, I went into the room, and handed him the glass.

see, everyone probably thought it was semen, thats why its funny.

well okay, I’ve got this quirk, right? I have absolutely no tolerance for people making fun of my halloween costumes. No, I’m serious, if I’m dressed up in costume, and some asshole at school verbally makes fun of me, I will seriously flip out. I put more work into this shit than you ever put into anything in your life so shut your assface and acknowledge that I am awesome. Also I can’t stand people trying to fuck around with my costume either. Keep your goddamn hands off.

Anyways, not last year, but the year before, I was dressed up as medusa. I tied rubber snakes into my hair and wore this sheet which I turned into like, a greek-looking dress, and then wore a really awesome cloak which my mom made over it, and wore a bunch of black spiderweb veils over my face, so you could only just see it shadowy. It was really cool. Oh, and that was when I was growing my fingernails really long, so they were like each an inch long, and I filed them to points. It was really, really awesome.

So I go into school like this, and of course everybody’s freaked out, because it was truly a freak-out costume. I’d walk the hallways slowly, in my greek-looking sandals, and if somebody looked particularly freaked out, I’d kneel down and whisper something like, “what are you looking at?” in a serpentine voice while tracing my fingernail slowly down their neck, while they were just…stunned. It was awesome. UNTIL.

Some jerkass decided it would be a funny idea to try and steal my veil. Huh huh. Funny. Prick ass whore. So he reaches up and puts his hands on it and jostles it a bit, but I slip away from him before he can fuck it up too much. I adjust it, and there’s this kid, standing in front of me, he’s short, so I’m looking down at him…he tries to grab it again, but I grab his hand and in an instant I’m in front of him, digging my pointy fingernail into his neck, breathing hard and smiling snakily I drag my finger across his neck whispering I forget what, “nice try,” or “fucker,” or something. He bled and had a big scar for weeks. :smiley: Nice try, fucker.

and that’s my story.

-Mazrim Taim

Dude, I’m totally going to get SG to make fun of Maz’s costume.

Then I’ll trick Maz into splashing water onto SG.

Then I’ll sit back and watch.

And laugh, and laugh, and laugh, and point, and laugh.

This one is for Maz.

I am completely incapable of masturbating with my right hand. One might think this is strange, since I am right-handed, but there is somewhat of an explanation behind this bizarre quirk.

You see, when I was 11 or 12 or some such age, my mom totally walked in on me while I was masturbating. Out of pure fight-or-flight reaction I threw my right hand out to toss the sheet over me, but I was near the edge of the bed, and it totally slammed into the bed-side table. My mom thought this was pretty funny…cause well, that’s just the kind of person she is, you know? Anyway, after that incident I started using my left hand, and I didn’t really notice it for a while, and when I did I thought it was kind of strange so I tried switching to the right but it was strangely uncomfortable, so I just stuck with the left, and it’s been that way for eight years now.

Quirk: Food. I just cant stand it if something is left on my plate, no matter how much I ate, if something’s left, I will still eat it. I know it’s silly but I’m just too damn polite :stuck_out_tongue:

So me and my parents were in Thailand a few years ago, and we went into this really kickass snobbish seafood- restaurant. It was right at the river, actually it’s on some kinda platform so you’re kinda eating like 6 feet or so above the river. And I love seafood, so we bought a huuuge plate of king prawns (which I love). Now they didnt arrive and I was hungry, so I rushed to the buffet and ate and ate and ate until I was near vomiting, and I sat back on my seat and there was this lovey- dovey couple who sat 3 tables next to us- they looked at me with this wtf- how can a person eat so much- look, but then they went back to all that awful kissy stuff, it just made me sick. Then, the king prawns arrived, and I was like DAMN, I totally forgot about them. But as quirky as I am, I ate all of them- and I felt really really sick, because I’d been satisfied before anyway. So I decided to take a little walk up and down this platform (it was outside, so I had fresh air) to calm my stomach down. I walked up to the aquariums to look at the fish and stuff, and there was this woman standing beside me. She held some fish in her head and then showed them to me, holding them under my nose, “you like?” and smiled with this friendly Thai- smile and I just wanted to answer when this stupid small fish (was about as big as my hand) jumped into my mouth and I, in a reflex, had to swallow (which of course didnt work, because the fish was too big). So wat happened was I ran to the side of the platform which was facing the river and puked my heart and soul out, at least 5 minutes long or so. Damn that took long. Then I broke down all exhausted and looked to my left where the lovey- dovey couple was sitting with the menu in their hands because they just wanted to order. They and the waitress were staring at me with the hugest eyes I’ve seen in my eyes (imagine the @_@ smiley irl and you know what I mean) and he said to her “Sarah, are you SURE you want to order the king prawns?”

This is dedicated to the fish I almost swalloed, I spit him out (together with a lot of food) into the yellow river. :smiley:

Quirk: I absolutely, positively, cannot stand having unclean hands.

Yes, the old phrase “getting your hands dirty”? Tell that to me and you get a ten-minute lecture on hygiene. The problem is, I;m festidious about even the slighest speck of dirt, and there’s nothing worse, IMO, than glitter. :hyperven: So much so that once, when I worked in the crappy little pound store, I was putting up Christmas decorations, and I actually counted myself washing my hands 8 times in the space of an hour. :thud: Ever since, I keep a box of hand wipes on me at all times.

Originally posted by Nebagram
Quirk: I absolutely, positively, cannot stand having unclean hands.
Dude, me too, I’m always washing my hands, and I bring a thing of antibacterial wipes with me every time I go somwhere. whenever I have to touch somthing, I use my sleeve, or the back of my hand somtimes, though I dont even like doing that.

Quirk: When I walk outside for the first time on a sunny day after being inside my dark house/school the direct sunlight causes me to sneeze uncontrollably for 5-10 seconds.

In fact, now that I think about it, I almost crashed my car because of an uncontrollable sneezing fit.

Originally posted by zeppelin
[b]This one is for Maz.

I am completely incapable of masturbating with my right hand. One might think this is strange, since I am right-handed, but there is somewhat of an explanation behind this bizarre quirk.

You see, when I was 11 or 12 or some such age, my mom totally walked in on me while I was masturbating. Out of pure fight-or-flight reaction I threw my right hand out to toss the sheet over me, but I was near the edge of the bed, and it totally slammed into the bed-side table. My mom thought this was pretty funny…cause well, that’s just the kind of person she is, you know? Anyway, after that incident I started using my left hand, and I didn’t really notice it for a while, and when I did I thought it was kind of strange so I tried switching to the right but it was strangely uncomfortable, so I just stuck with the left, and it’s been that way for eight years now. [/b]
SIGGIFIED!!1111

Originally posted by Epicgamer
Quirk: When I walk outside for the first time on a sunny day after being inside my dark house/school the direct sunlight causes me to sneeze uncontrollably for 5-10 seconds.

Ooh, you’re subject to Solar Sneezes? I hate those.

Quirk: I can, and probably will, make a sexual innuendo joek out of any statement, no matter how bland or inoffensive it might be originally. Example: “I tripped over a rock and fell face first into a patch of poison ivy, getting this totally bad rash on my hands, chest, and face.” Me: “That’s what you get for just diving into there without looking. Just be glad that no “Wild oats” were sowed this time.”

Anecdote: Basically take that kinda statement, and use it in school when a stick-p-her-ass science teacher is trying to teach us abou genetics, and crap liek that. I forget exactly what I said, but I think it somehow insinuated that she was an anal-obsessive lesbian, and she tried to get em suspended for three days for it. Neer stuck, though.

Originally posted by Valkyrie Esker
Ooh, you’re subject to Solar Sneezes?
Is that like Sonic Diarrhea?

Quirk: Okay, so you all know that I’m tall, not as tall as Merl, but still tall. Like, 6’5"-ish

Anecdote: So about two weeks ago at Work, I had to move a couple pump trunks of TVs out of the stockroom and onto the floor. Well, I went upstairs to get my steel-toes out of my locker (Can’t use pump truckw ithout steel toes). They add at least half an inch to my height. So I’m going back downstairs, and WHAM! Forehead met with the cieling halfway down. I baclfipped and landed on my stomach before rolling all the way down. Had a concussion and chipped a tooth.

Eheh, can’t wait for SK to post in this thread.

Quirk: I think faster than my body can react to it.

Anecdote (Generalized, not an actual situation): Usually when I’m doing something like explaining… something, I stutter a fair bit because I’m trying to say what I’m thinking. When I do that, I end up making fragmented sentences. Whenever I’m walking, I sometimes randomly start talking/reacting to things I’m thinking about as well.

Quirk: I am like, easily dehydrated or something… so when I don’t drink enough water I get really grouchy and yeah.

Anecdote: So one morning, I wake up and like, I’m late for school, so I don’t have anything to drink really that morning. Since I was late I then forgot my water bottle. Around second period I start getting really grouchy and feel all hot and stuff, and I like, seriously struggle not to kill random people. So after class I go to try to get a drink at the water fountain, only I happened to get the ONLY one in the whole school which was broken that day. Later for class, I run to it. So, during this block, RIGHT before lunch, I am sitting there trying very hard not to just get up and leave (the teacher I had was a bitch, won’t let me go get a drink from a fountain since I had time before class). So I look outside, and you know what happens? It starts raining. I am sitting there, and I think I twitched for a while and then got up and left the class for a drink :stuck_out_tongue:

(the teacher then later sent me to the prinsipals office, where I explained myself and received no punishment. Needless to say, that teacher doesn’t like me anymore :P) ((Miss Chow for fiona… I duno if you remember her though))

:kissy:

Originally posted by don Stevus
[b]Quirk: I think faster than my body can react to it.

Anecdote (Generalized, not an actual situation): Usually when I’m doing something like explaining… something, I stutter a fair bit because I’m trying to say what I’m thinking. When I do that, I end up making fragmented sentences. Whenever I’m walking, I sometimes randomly start talking/reacting to things I’m thinking about as well. [/b]

I do that too.

Originally posted by don Stevus
[b]Quirk: I think faster than my body can react to it.

Anecdote (Generalized, not an actual situation): Usually when I’m doing something like explaining… something, I stutter a fair bit because I’m trying to say what I’m thinking. When I do that, I end up making fragmented sentences. Whenever I’m walking, I sometimes randomly start talking/reacting to things I’m thinking about as well. [/b]

I think that happens to a lot of us. of course, I could do to know what the hell I’m thinking before I say anything. but that happens too muc for me to do anything.

When I’m in a store, i end up compulsively straightening the merchandise. This happens most often with clothes on racks (no one can look through them if they’re all tangled together) and bread (people are all messy in the grocery store with the loaves of bread, and do you think anyone wants to buy a loaf of bread that’s all lopsided and squishy?). This is one of my many quirks.

I don’t have a specific story, but people seem to be the most freaked out by the bread thing. I try to be subtle about it so that I don’t look like a complete weirdo, but if there’s a lot of straightening to be done it gets sort of bad. If I remember correctly, I think one time my mother actually walked away from me in the bread aisle at the store once a couple of years ago.