Potential US Draft by Spring 2005?

It’ll be insanely ironic if after all these years, Mexico starts to have an immigration problem from the US.

GM: the kids would need to learn spanish in their spanish classes :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, how could they have signed an act to keep draft dodgers in if there was no draft o_O??

Conspiracy lolzlolzlolzlolzlolzlolz

But seriously, being drafted and possibly killed first thing after graduating high school (I will in '06) is not exactly something I want to have on my mind.

I’m so sorry for anyone who has to live in a country like America… it must be hell ;_;

I’m quite prepared to shoot somebody, including myself. Or, failing that, Hades, who seems to delight in insensitividy. :smiley:

Im pretty sure they use your social security number now.

Now, instead of <i>wanting</i> to leave america, i think i <i>need</i> to leave america.

On a related note, don’t be so cocky Trillian, it says they’re making “Reforms aimed at making the draft more equitable along gender and class lines…”. Females aren’t exempt from this one.

As a healthy 20 (at the time this will be implemented) year old male who thinks that it is cowardly to draft dodge, and who does not want to spend any time in prison, I’m fucked.

How is draft dodging cowardly?

Instead of helping my country get out of the idiotic situation dubya has put us in, I’ll just waste everyone’s time avoiding the draft! WHEEEEE

I agree with this, this country does have many problems, but i do think draft dodging is cowardly as well.

If worst comes to worst, at least my name will be on a memorial in DC in about 40 years…

I’ll go when Jenna goes.

So, has the bill already passed? If it has, it’s suicide city for me. If it hasn’t, then there’s still hope. All we have to do is hope the bill dies out on the floor, and we’ll be safe for a few more months.

I’m well aware of the gender thing, Epic. :stuck_out_tongue:

Should the occasion arise, I’ll be the civilly disobedient <s>hippie</s> citizen that spends time behind bars. But in the meantime, I’m writing to congress, because this is bullshit.

You and me both, Tril, but I won’t phrase it exactly like that. :3

Wow…just wow…

You cowards live in the best country in the world, a virtual paradise in comparison with a large portion of the rest of the world, and when the time comes to pay your dues…you want to pull a Clinton and run to Canada?

I’m in no hurry to join the military, but I’m also a man and if my country calls for my duty - that’s all there is to it. I’m ashamed that you are my countrymen, whether you’re 14 or 24.

Just wow…evidentally the stereotype of nerds being pussies is true, I must be the exception. :fungah:

Ah shut the fuck up. The stereotype isn’t always true. I’m in the Marine Corps and I’m a nerd. I’m willing to pay my dues. I’ve been called up for the war and paid my dues and I may have to pay again soon. However, I don’t want people that don’t volunteer for it to go because they won’t be as well trained or as motivated (motivation is a very important part). They could be hazardous to my brothers and I.

Also, the reason the draft might have to be reinstated isn’t because we need mroe bodies to go go somewhere, it is because our wonderful President has stretched the normal military too thin and it is going to be hard to keep operational tempo up at this rate. Active duty needs time off (not just to rest at home, but also to get equipment and morale back up). After 6 months my unit had tons of vehicles down, so you can just imagine what the guys’ who are there for a year equipment is like. Draftees won’t have that same desire and motivation so their need for down time abck in the states will be much higher.

War has changed dramatically in the last 10 to 20 years and especially since the last draft. It isn’t like WWI and WWII where if you jsut get enough bodies over there you’ll eventually over power the enemy. It has changed to where the enemy is no longer a government that you beat and thent ell what to do. The enemy isn’t always known, and just because you conquer the government, it doesn’t mean that the people will follow suit.

Also, some people may be ideological and not want to put their lfie on the line for a war that they don’t believe in. As a scholar ocne said, “Support your troops all the time, and your government when it deserves it.”

What makes you think we’re pussies? We’re wimps because we don’t support an idiotic piece of legislation that is trying to revive a long-dead program that caused more problems than it ever solved? Because we don’t supprt what Bush is doing? Because we don’t want to die in a pointless conflict like Vietnam?

I have nothing against America itself. I’m proud of this country and the good things its done; however, we have many bad things as well, one of them being the Bush administration. Fortunately, Bush’s power platform is collapsing internally (he’s lost face value after the embarrasment in Iraq), but he still has power until the year is over, and that’s what I’m afraid of. If a draft is put in place, it won’t help the country at all.

And I doubt this will pass, not because it doesn’t have support, but because of the time of year and the process to pass legislation. Since there’s a good deal of proponents and opponents, I except that there will be constant bickering (standard for Washington). When the bill goes through the committe process, people will waste time adding useless items to the bill. If it passes one house, it goes into the next, where the bickering is increased. If it somehow magically survives that, THEN it gets to Bush (and passes). However, there’s only six months left in the term. If it fails BEFORE the end of 2004, it dies instantly. They’ll have to reintroduce it next year.

Now let’s just hope it dies.

Damn, Infonick AND Galloway beat me to it :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously, buddy. Do you think it’s “cool” to sacrifice your life for your country against your will ?

I don’t think people should be forced to take part in this war, as nothing will be resolved as long this drags on…

I’m sorry for all my friends in the US. I just hope Congress will “wake up” and deny that ideal of getting people against their will to fight in the army.

If you want to be shot at (and rightfully so since you’d be an invader and occupier) because the president’s a fucking moron who can’t conduct foreign policy and has made the worst decisions towards said foreign policy in American history, be my guest. I’m not going to take a bullet for this man’s twisted machinations and if you think I’m a pussy for it, so be it. I honestly don’t care about what you or anyone else who thinks differently than I do on this matter may say. The Supere Court supports people like me. We’re called conscientious objecters.