Potential US Draft by Spring 2005?

http://congress.org/congressorg/issues/alert/?alertid=5834001&content_dir=ua_congressorg

Me? I’m glad I’m Canadian. But thoughts on this? Surprisingly one of the supporters is a Democrat.

If this goes down, I am going to break my own leg or something. That’s all I have to say.

Great, basically it’s saying hat kids have nowhere to hide anymore? I love the part about college not stopping you. Lets keep the kids ignorant, hand them a gun and tell them to shoot it at “terrorists” because we know that protecting our country is about killing everyone else.

Yeah. It’s a big part of Aaron Russo’s campaign. Both parties have made mentions of it, in either vague terms or calling for mandatory service as Kerry’s website did at one point. The two bills in Congress were even submitted by Democrats, with the S89 being Senator Fritz Hollings and HR163 being submitted by Charlie Rangel (D) with five cosponsors, all of whom are Democrats.

It’s interesting to note that the original phrasing of the Second Amendment also had a clause that would prevent the conscription of of citizens into military service if their religious scruples did not allow it. Oh how it would’ve been nice…

And that, ladies and gents, is why I’m mother fuckin’ proud to be a Canadian. NO DRAFT FOR ME!

It’s times like this I take everything back and thank Christ Mohammad and Lenin I live in the UK. Although I’m not sure it’ll stop at the US.

That wouldn’t be too different from now. A lot of people in the military don’t go to college. Granted there are a lot that do go and graduate, but still. Also, you do have to have a certain amount of intelligence.

I’m against the proposed draft. I can’t imagine how it’ll work though. Are they going to put draftees into already existing units or create new ones made solely of draft personnel? I’m against the draft since I don’t want anyone being forced to fight by me and who isn’t as well trained. I’ve read of soem of the draft training for Mariens during Korea and Vietnam and those guys were woefulyl undertrained. They went through an accelerated and intese two weeks and then deployed. Marines now get at least 17 weeks of training minimum for just the basics and learn more as time goes on. Hell, I’ve learned a lot more at my unit that I did in training. That would be lacking with a draft. Granted thet raining would probably better than in Vietnam and Korea, but still…

This all thanks to our lovely President for spreading the military too thin. Hell, even if he wanted to go to Iraq, he could have at least waited until we were done in Afgahnistan.

Theres a little box near the beginning of the article saying take action now and enter your zip code, which leds you to send a message to your senators and representatives. Would sending a message this way do any good? If so I would send one, I just wouldn’t know what to say.

Draft cards make for excellent tinder. cough >.>

Also makes for a nice felony and restricts you from getting any sort of federal aid for… well… anything. >_>

Im with the ‘break your legs if it passes’ mentality.

Eww, drafting.
It could make the American army as bad as the Norwegian!

That’s not saying much. :stuck_out_tongue:

I do not support this, especially since it seems to be the result of certain policy decisions with which I disagree. It makes me glad that I’ll probably be too old by the time anything would happen with it, but that doesn’t help anyone else.

GSM (and others) - Ideally, being a representative involves listening to one’s constituents, and they can’t listen if they don’t have anything to which to listen. It never hurts to send something well-thought out and at least reasonably intelligent sounding to them, and it never hurts to pass information along so that others can do the same.

In that case, they’d probably give you medical care until you were fit to enter service.

I don’t suppose I can still get out of it by telling them that I’m gay? ^^;

I’d riot.

Not with laughter.

With flaming bottles.

There are some lines you do not cross, this is one of them.

The war was a voluntary, completely unnecessary action. Let the volunteers fight it.

They’re not going to pass it.

The last draft was a load of crap, and everybody knew that. They won’t make the same mistake twice.

The last drfat was for Vietnam and it was the same one used for all previous wars since the start of the United States. It wasn’t a load of crap. The draft was just disbanded because of the hatred for Vietnam. Ironically, the draft will be brought back for a simlar reason that it was disbanded.

It is sort of funny, I used ot be worried about a possibel drfat for ages. Hell, I said I would break my leg if I was ever drafted months before I joined the Marine Corps. It is sort of nice hearing about a possible draft and not having to worry about it or have it apply.

Also, some of the changes to draft have been a round for awhile.
http://www.sss.gov/FSdiffer.htm

Canada will not be options. In December 2001, Canada and the U.S. signed a “smart border declaration,” which could be used to keep would-be draft dodgers in. Signed by Canada’s minister of foreign affairs, John Manley

I hope he rots in hell >.>; I enjoyed Canada being the draft dodger place.

Anyways, I honestly feel for you guys down south. I may poke blatent fun at the US, but this is something I can not laugh at. I support your protests of this fully, and I know a majority of Canadians will. If worse comes to worse, flee to Canada and hide in a church- noone can touch you. It’s funny but true, sancturay still works :stuck_out_tongue:

:kissy: