Post your favourite music

I’m just using youtube, but you can use any other website where you can listen to music. Atleast I give you a classic one that is in many hearts of rockers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gqS0jValsk.

I’m going to predict how this thread is going to end. Okay here it is:

• Everyone compiles lengthy lists of extremely underwhelming classic rock songs with absolutely zero energy, emotion, or technical skill, like Thunderstruck and Freebird, calling them things like “intense” and “legendary” despite classic-rock-in-its-entirety’s complete failure to get anyone’s blood pumping.
  • Steve throws some awful indie and softcore metal into the mix. Don’t get me wrong, I like indie, I just don’t like Steve’s indie. He will probably mention AFI and whatnot. His usual lineup.
  • CC lists some hardcore oldies punk, which sucks but is still going to be the best music mentioned in the entire thread. Stuff like the Ramones comes to mind. He might throw a few gems out there like Oingo Boingo and A Perfect Circle too.
  • Zeppelin may or may not whore out Infected Mushroom.
  • I start a flamewar.

Let’s just skip to the end and close this thing. Haha

P.S. I’m only semi-serious

Youtube:
The Piass - Black=Right (skip the interview from :50 to 1:47)
HiStandard - Teenagers Are All Assholes
Emilyrose

mp3s:
biggie freestylin live
Styles P (?) - Holiday (ruff squad)
Shugo Tokumaru - 5am, Tears Below the Freezing Point (sort of like…um…boards of canada? i guess)
Digitalism - Pogo

for fun:
Another Bad Creation - Playground (LSTB Castlevania II remix)

:ark:

Kay, I’m gonna throw out a list, then Hades can comment - and by comment, I in fact mean flame - it.

Dresden Dolls I’ve been getting into a lot, particularly Girl Anachronism and Half Jack, if you want specifics.

Rasputina - favorite song of theres would be Fire and Ice.

Frank Zappa - some Don’t Eat The Yellow Snow/Nanook rubs it.

Clash - Jimmy Jazz or Straight to Hell.

I’ll chuck in some Feeder sure, Seven Days in the Sun.

White Stripes - You Don’t Know What love Is is my favorite right now, that or I’m Slowly Turning Into You.

Chili Peppers - Pretty much all of Mother’s Milk and The Uplift Mofo Party Plan albums.

Blur - Beetlebum, Coffee and TV, Tender and On Your Own.

And I’ll throw in The Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack and leave it at that. Though I should note that this is only a list of my absolute favorites, and there’s plent of others I could put in there.

I think that you’re right, although I strongly prefer Tool to APC.

Also, the more I think about it, hardcore punk is pretty much an acquired taste. When I say that something is an acquired taste as far as food goes, I normally use it as code for “fucking awful,” but I really actually mean “acquired taste” and not “fucking awful” like black coffee and brussels sprouts. Anyway, I’m on a really big Smiths kick right now. I enjoy the desperation combined with blah blah blah pretentious words out of Ken’s mouth. Anyway, they speak to me (as well as a jillion other fans [:-P]).
“The Queen is Dead” - The Smiths
Awful video- great song (excepting the horrible sample).

“Panic” - The Smiths
The kiddies will probably like this one.

“There is a Light That Never Goes Out”
This is quite possibly my favorite song by them.

There are several other songs you should check out, but I’m not going to post their extensive catalog of singles you lazy shits.

Anyway, Hades is right, here are some Misfits:

“Hybrid Moments” - Misfits
Pretty standard Misfits fare, one of their more popular songs.

“Bullet” - Misfits
I love the lyrics in this one, for no particular reason. They aren’t great, or even good. I still love them.

The first four songs on the album “Earth A.D.”
This stuff is a great departure from their earlier stuff. Instead of incomprehensible lyrics with a horror-punk sound, they have incomprehensible lyrics with a proto-thrash sound. The difference, as you can tell, is astounding. Why are you rolling your eyes (I seriously do love Misfits, but yeah… pretentions surround them)?

Speaking of pretentions:

“She’s In Parties” - Bauhaus
Awesome band. Check them out. Just don’t go to a goth club, or you’ll probably get stared at so damned much you’ll have holes in your head.

“Reduced to Paste” - Cattle Decapitation
Vegan death metal. Despite the fact they’re vegan, they’re actually good. I’m still upset I bought their teeshirt thought, because they belong to PETA. I can stand vegans, but PETA just fucking sucks.

“Hamburger Lady” - Throbbing Gristle
I bet you were expecting a song, weren’t you? Fuckwad! Listen to the lyrics, and try to understand them. Try to understand what the “song” is about. Cry. You deserve to be punished.

“Holiday in Cambodia” - Dead Kennedys
This will always be one of my all-time favorite bands. This song isn’t one of my favorites, but it is one of the more popular songs they released, so here you are. Yes, it’s live. Suck it.

“Shy” - Ani DiFranco
I think she’s awesome. You have a problem with that? Try to find a more evocative voice in folk music.

“Braindead” - Zombina and the Skeletones
Ignore the shitty fan-“video.” Just listen to them… they’re awesome. Argue otherwise, and you obviously have sex with potatoes. You aren’t a potato-fucker, are you?

“Punk Rock Vampires: Destroy” - Zombina and the Skeletones
Different type of song, same band. Also, they’re British. That means that a lot of you will automatically like them. It will also to help to say they aren’t mainstream. There. Now your pretentio-meters will all go off! WEE-OO-WEE-OO!

“Roxanne” - The Police
I threw another one in for the kiddies. Awesome song (if overplayed).

“1-800 SUICIDE” - Gravediggaz
This is very different from the studio version (which would probably be unlistenable on MTV and other crap networks), but it’s still good.

Lastly:

“The Rhythm Thief” - Sparks
They misspelled it, but that’s fine. It’s still the same song, and it’s still both pretentious and playful.

Hades: List some of your stuff. You generally have refined taste in music*.

*with some shameful exceptions, which may not be pertinent anymore

EDIT: Now throwing in an old gem for Hades (one of my favorite songs):

“Insanity” - Oingo Boingo
Unfortunately, the song is truncated. But considering that it’s a pretty long song, that’s merciful for a video.

Tom Waits, Ruby’s Arms

Nick Cave, Far From Me

[The Pogues, Rainy Nigh in Soho[/ur]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQgBbINTZ0w]Conflict, Increase the Pressure](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8U93klVz-8)

Against Me!, I still Love You Julie

UK Subs Medley

GWAR, Saddam a Go-go. Even Hades has to recognize the lyrical brilliance here.

Ville Valo, Kun Minä Kotoani Läksin

Devendra Banhart, I heard somebody say

Siouxsie and the Banshees, Halloween

Mana Mana, Totuus Palaa

Bright Eyes, Roosevelt Room

I wouldn’t say all time favourites, but those are some damn good songs from a guy who, uh, pretty much only gives a shit about lyrics and has OD’d on existentialist literature. Also, I’d repeat a lot of GAP’s list (There is a light that never goes out, She’s in Parties, The Dead Kennedys, the Misfits, et ceteras), so I skipped those. Similarly, the Clash and Cavelcade’s list (any and every Clash song except Should I Stay or Should I Go belongs here, and that might.)

The Residents - The Gingerbread Man

Colonel Claypool’s Fearless Flying Frog Brigade - Buzzards of Greenhill

Primus - Tommy the Cat

Oysterhead - Oz is Ever Floating

I like Les Claypool by the way…

Phish - Chalkdust Torture

Phish - Stash

Pink Floyd - Time

The Pixies - Monkey Gone to Heaven

That’s all for now.

I will, and I do plan on checking out most of what’s in this thread I haven’t heard yet. But for now I will say this: I almost forgot how awesome Oingo Boingo is. Almost. This shit is gold.

I’m just gonna list mine, either because a lot of these songs won’t have vids or you can find them on youtube easily enough yourself. And because there’s a fucking tonne. Here goes:

A Perfect Circle (Metal)
3 Libras
Blue
Judith
The Outsider
Weak and Powerless

Brand New (Hard/Ambient Rock)
Millstone
Not The Sun
Sowing Season
The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot
You Won’t Know

Dave Matthews Band (Big Band)
Angel
Crash Into Me
Two Step
Where Are You Going

Death Cab For Cutie (Pop. Technically Emo, but I don’t want to scare people into thinking they’re MCR. Far from it.)
A Lack of Color
Tiny Vessels
Transatlanticism
We Looked Like Giants
What Sarah Said

Dream Theater (Progressive Metal)
Pull Me Under
Take The Time
Under a Glass Moon
Learning To Live

Gregory and The Hawk (Lo-Fi Acoustic)
A Wish
Boats And Birds
The Bolder Thing To Do
The Point Sometimes

In Flames (Metal)
Come Clarity
Evil In A Closet
Metaphor
Zombie Inc.

Matthew Good (Rock)
Avalanche
Black Helicopter
Change of Season
Man of Action
Near Fantastica
Weapon

Metallica (Metal. I feel kind of retarded even mentioning them since they’re so KNOWN, but I’ll do it anyway.)
Enter Sandman
Fade To Black
Hero Of The Day
One
Wherever I May Roam
Whiskey In The Jar

Neverending White Lights (Soft Rock-ish)
First Days of Spring
Dove Coloured Sky
The Grace
The Living
The World is Darker
This Longing

Radiohead (Synth/Rock)
Fake Plastic Trees
Everything In Its Right Place
In Limbo
Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Optimistic
Let Down
Street Spirit (Fade Out)
There There
Weird Fishes

Say Anything (I want to call them pop/punk but I don’t want to degrade them. They’re actually a lot of things at once. I’ve never heard a band quite like them. Very versatile.)
A Walk Through Hell
Ants in My Pants
Baby Girl, I’m a Blur
Most Beautiful Plague
Spay Me
Spidersong
The Futile
Woe

The Spill Canvas (Rock, Acoustic.)
All Hail The Heartbreaker
Bleed, Everyone’s Doing It
Bound To Happen
Connect The Dots
Reckless Abandonment
Staplegunned

Tool (Metal)
10,000 Days
Aenima
Jambi
Right In Two
Rosetta Stoned
Schism

Other
Ben Lee - Gamble Everything For Love
Bloc Party - Pioneers
Blue October - Ugly Side
Deftones - Digital Bath
Evan’s Blue - Eclipsed
Led Zeppelin - Going To California
Mobile - See Right Through Me
Muse - Knights of Cydonia
Red Jumpsuit Apparatus - Disconnected
Thrice - Artist In The Ambulance

Some of these aren’t necessarily my favourite songs. I just want to expose people to new, good music. And yeah I realize I listed a shitton more than anyone was probably expecting, but whatever. The more, the merrier.

Edit: Threw some DMB in there.

Here’s some of my fave’s:

StoneSour:
Through glass
Socio
1st person
sillyworld
come what(ever) may
bother
inhale
30/30-150

Cold:
Cure my tragedy
don’t belong
wasted years

Bullet for my Valentine:
tears don’t fall

Atreyu:
2 become 1
EX’s and OH’s
becoming the bull
lead sails paper anchor
our sick story(thus far)
falling down

Breaking benjamin
Breath
you
dance with the devil
had enough
follow
so cold

sevendust:
driven
under

metalica
dyers’ eve
four horsemen
damage, inc.
turn the page
disposable hero’s
battery

mudvayne:
Happy
fall into sleep
forget to remember
not falling

Staind:
price to play
so far away
run away
right here

Godsmack
voodoo
straight out of line
make me believe
I stand alone
speak
the enemy
shine down
hollow

Disturbed
just stop
guarded
stricken
decadence
land of confusion liberate
believe
remember
rise

killswitch engage
end of heartache
break the silence
reject yourself

I’d better leave it at that, lest I get yelled at. (You can look them up on youtube yourself:)).

Bullet for my Valentine:
tears don’t fall
Is this the only song anyone has ever heard by them? Because almost everything else on that album is better.

Other good Bullet songs:

Hit The Floor
Room 409
The Poison
Cries in Vain (!)

Damn, I was going to live up to Hades’ standards but he already posted Zeppelin and Blue Oyster Cult.

I’ll post some favourites of mine while attempting to deviate from the usual catalogue:

King Crimson
Elephant Talk
21st Century Schizoid Man (No video for this one but it’s a damn good song)

Funkadelic
Maggot Brain

Sigh
Midnight Sun(this is practically their only video, their early black metal is fuckin great, and not a bad song overall)

The Cure
A Forest (hilarious video)

Throbbing Gristle
Discipline (just in case you didn’t get enough from Rountree’s post)

Immortal
Blashrykh (pretty funny video as well)

Bauhaus
Bela Lugosi’s Dead

Oingo Boingo
Weird Science (this one’s for the H man)

That’s about it for now. Any more and I’d be posting Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and The Doors performances. Most of the metal bands I listen to don’t have music videos so I can’t post any of those except for low quality bootlegs.

And then you list Dream Theater and In Flames :wink:

Here, get some At The Gates cause I liked your Oingo Boingo suggestion.

Let it be known that I’ll have Cavel’s kids as soon as ovaries transplants become available. To pass the time I’ll probably mail-order Arac as soon as his price drops for the holidays.

Frank Zappa

edit: Sorry Gila, we’re too many. Oh, Einstürzende Neubauten.

Alex Gaudino - Destination Calabria

Kaskade - Be Still

Fedde Le Grand vs. Ida Corr - Let Me Think About It

Cries in vain is good, as is Her voice resides. Tears don’t fall just happens to be my fave.

If you like them, you should try out that Atreyu (especially ex’s and oh’s and our sick story) I thought they were very similiar.

EDIT: Bullet REALLY needs to put out a new album. :slight_smile:

Damn, I was going to live up to Hades’ standards but he already posted Zeppelin and Blue Oyster Cult.
I never mentioned Blue Oyster Cult… I should’ve though. They’re good stuff.

Edit: I’ve heard Ex’s and Oh’s and yeah it’s damn good, and yeah Bullet does need to put out another one.

Technically emo? You think? They never struck me as “emotional hardcore,” given the total lack of hardcore punk. Then again, I guess that part of emo doesn’t apply too much any more. Still, I always figured they were more along the lines of twee/indie-pop. I mean, they sing about emotions, but most bands do that.

Both of these absolutely deserve to be on my list.

Emo’s just what I’ve always heard them referred to as. I agree with you that they’re more pop/indie sounding to me. There seems to be two “types” of emo, the Deathcab type and the Used type, and when people hear the word emo they usually think The Used or MCR or whatever’s a hit with todays kids, I don’t know, those are the emo bands that were huge a few years back. IMO Death Cab is more substantial than most of what I’d call emo.

Gila: Damnit. 21st Century Schizoid man is one of my favorite songs! In fact, I think that you sent it to me, long, long ago. I had to listen to the whole thing again… while watching that FACE do NOTHING! :smiley:

Emo started out like this:

“Spring” - Rites of Spring

And later this:

“Paper Moshey” - Antioch Arrow

And then this:

“Waiting Room” - Fugazi

This, too:

“Fireman” - Jawbreaker

And then the second wave:

“Seven” - Sunny Day Real Estate

“Back and To The Left” - Texas is the Reason

And the beginning of the “emo”-pop stuff:

“Buddy Holly” - Weezer

“The Middle” - Jimmy Eat World

“Screaming Infidelities” - Dashboard Confessional

Stuff that isn’t even as close to emo as these guys, but is called emo by many:

“If You C Jordan” - Something Corporate

“The Leaving Song Part II” - AFI

“I Write Sins Not Tragedies” Panic! at the Disco

Of these, I only recommend Something Corporate, Fugazi, and Jawbreaker. With reservations (I don’t really like emo, or emo-esque crap). That’s just my personal taste. Oh, by the way, before Ian “founded” emo with Rites of Spring, he “founded” hardcore with this:

“Straight Edge” - Minor Threat

Weird, eh?