Post your favourite music

That being said, I have more of MY music, for taking the time of doing that kind of crap. I’ll go by themes.

Gothic (and goth-esque) music (Yeah, I am using wikipedia so I don’t miss anything crucial, but I’m only picking music that I KNOW and LIKE :stuck_out_tongue: [I only picked stuff I knew from emo… yeah]):

“Pagan Love Song” - The Virgin Prunes
This is one of my favorite songs, but this isn’t one of my favorite bands by a long stretch. I love the construction of gothic music, but I’m not so fond of the often unforgiving length of the songs. Of course, there are always exceptions…
aaaanyway, on with the stuff.

“Spiritual Cramp” - Christian Death
These guys underwent a transformation. In other words, don’t listen to anything past Ashes. Oddly enough, this is also when Rozz left. Gee.

“She’s Lost Control” - Joy Division
This isn’t really considered gothic rock, but it’s closely linked enough to mention. Watch Ian’s dancing: that’s classic, there! This is one of my favorite bands of all time. I wouldn’t have watched them live, though… probably. My favorite songs by them have to be “Warsaw,” “Ice Age,” and “Dead Souls” (yes, even with that loooong intro).

“This Corrosion” - Sisters of Mercy
I mentioned Bauhaus before, and so I HAVE to mention Sisters of Mercy. It’s like some law, or something. I prefer Bauhaus, but Sisters of Mercy is quality as well. If you enjoy metal, or 80s music, you’ll probably enjoy Sisters of Mercy despite yourself. If you enjoy gothic rock, you’ll probably enjoy them (or despise them). Andrew Eldritch (the lead singer) is quite possibly the most arrogant man living.

“Christine” - Siouxsie and the Banshees
First of all, it’s pronounced Suzy. I’m honestly not a terribly huge fan of them, but they’re still awesome.

“Faith” - The Cure
Only a little bit of their catalog can be considered Gothic. Their early stuff (as the Easy Cure… guess what THAT means :-P) is punk-ish, and their latest stuff (especially their self-titled album) is rubbish. There is also a lot of other stuff that is quality.

“Black Cross” - 45 Grave
We can’t live without some death rock.

“Riboflavin” - 45 Grave <—really fun song.

“Nick the Stripper” - The Birthday Party
This band is fronted by Nick Cave. I hope you aren’t TOO surprised.

Gothic music branches out:

“The Carnival is Over” - Dead Can Dance
A more ambient gothic band, if you like that sort of thing. They’re OK.

“Dig It” - Skinny Puppy
Technically industrial, but I think it has enough gothic roots to list here. I’ll have a separate industrial list later.

“Personal Jesus” - Depeche Mode
Ah, darkwave, one of the better bastard children of gothic rock. Depeche Mode is the best darkwave band, not that it’s saying much. There’s what? Two darkwave bands (;-P).

Later gothic rock and music highly influenced by gothic music:

“Clown” - Switchblade Symphony
One of the better newer bands. When I say “newer,” I mean stuff past… ohhhh… 1990. If this sounds familiar, it’s because the “mood” of the song was copied by nu-metal bands and shitty bands in the late 90s and early 00s.

“Girl Anachronism” - The Dresden Dolls
One of the few rock bands that I know that uses piano (not keys) VERY well. Love them.

“Deception” The Crüxshadows
Here’s the other darkwave band I was talking about. This is a really catchy song. You might recognize it from the Vampire: the Masquerade (the tabletop game, not the computer game) soundtrack if you’re a fucking dork.

“Tourniquet” - Marilyn Manson
Okay, so a real goth would fucking kill me for mentioning them, but hear me out. They are HIGHLY influenced by gothic music, and so I consider them goth-ish, if not actually gothic music. This song is a good example.

Next is Industrial music.

Here it goes with industrial music:

“The Robots” - Kraftwork
I already mentioned Throbbing Gristle, who are one of the two fathers of techno and industrial music (although I’m not a terribly big fan of techno, excepting Prodigy and Aphex Twin and some borderline techno-ish bands). This is the other father. That’s right, industrial music was spawned by gay sex. I hope that a rivethead doesn’t kill me, now. These guys are more techno-ish, but I consider them a great influence of industrial, nevertheless.

“Yashar” - Cabaret Voltaire
Yeah, this is pretty close to gothic rock, but most industrial is. Their extensive use of samples, thumping beat, and dark themes (and sound) make it clearly industrial, though.

“Autobahn” - Einstürzende Neubauten
They are alternately one of the most listenable and unlistenable bands in existance, depending on the song. Guess which one this is.

“Never Stop” - Front 242
This is a little later then I’d hoped, but it’s an awesome song.

The beginning of industrial metal:

“After the Flesh” - My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult
You’ve heard this song if you’ve seen “The Crow.” It isn’t one of the best, but it is one of the more familiar songs.

“Jesus Built My Hot Rod” - Ministry
This is one of my favorite bands, so you’re going to have another one, as well. That song features the guy from Butthole Surfers on vocals, by the way. The next one will have good old Al.

“Thieves” - Ministry
See? I told you.

“March of the Pigs” - Nine Inch Nails
This is another band that isn’t considered a “true” example of its genre. Of course, in this case, I don’t consider it industrial-ish, I consider it industrial music in its own right. If you disagree, then that’s OK.

“Megalomaniac” - KMFDM
One of the best industrial metal bands, IMO. !!!

“It Won’t Do” - Slick Idiot
I’ll leave you with this, because you’re so special.

Next time, I’ll do \m/etal.

Huh? That went over my head.

Also, nice! I didn’t know there was a video of the Titties and Beer performance. At The Gates aren’t too bad either.

I guess I did more skimming than I should have. I mistakenly read Blue October as Blue Oyster Cult.

With that said, I should post this… I didn’t even know there was a video of it:

Blue Oyster Cult - “Godzilla”

That’s my favourite song by them and possibly my favourite hard rock/metal song from the 70’s… for obvious reasons.

Whoa, I was doing some more searching and I found this too:

Blue Oyster Cult - “Veteran Of The Psychic Wars”

I didn’t know that was up there either. That’s another favourite of mine by them, and it was a real treat to see it played so damn well.

You all have horrible taste in music. Especially you Hades. ESPECIALLY YOU! >:|||||||||||:::::::::::::OOOOOOOOOOAAAACccccccccccccccccccccccc

(Maybe not, but ew anyways 'cus I can; and Gila, your music is awesome. Okay it’s mostly GAPs endless posts of music… but STILL!)

I only feel like linking one song, the one I am listening to.

Emily Haines & The Soft Skeleton - Our Hell

For those of you who don’t know, Emily Haines is the lead singer behind Metric. This is an older album of some of the songs she wrote when she was not writing for Metric.

:kissy:

Three of them :wink: Just saying your playlist was flawless.

Okay, let’s go a bit back then

Scott Joplin - The Entertainer and covered by a guy named giorgio
Joseph Lamb* - American Beauty by YA Italian guy.

Even classical composers were drawn to it: Claude Debussy - Golliwogg’s Cakewalk. (edit:There is a version online by Rachmaninoff but I’m not really a fan of his piano playing).

Jelly Roll Morton - Hesitation and Sideway Blues

Bessie Smith - St. Luis blues and Backwater Blues.

Louis Armstrong & Ella Fitzgeral (take it away!) - Summertime

Duke Ellington - Mood Indigo , Take the A Train (with Ella), Caravan

Gershwin by Grappelli (among others Grapelli was Django’s man).

And then you got Count Basie - One O’Clock Jump and Fletcher Henderson (with Coleman Hawkins) - Singin’ the Blues and the Cab Calloway (Jitterbug Party and Minnie the Moocher (BB). Artie Shaw with Begin the Beguine and Benny Goodman who’s a clarinet demigod (1 2). And Glenn Miller, whose orchestra nowadays kinds sucks ass.

Django, Django, Django! Django Reinhardt could only partially use two of his fingers. Relevant quote from a Woody Allen movie: "I’m the best guitar player in the world, with the possible exception of this “gypsy in France”, who’s Django.

Hey, this is getting long.

Then you’ve got Charlie “Bird” Parker and Dizzy Gillespie and The Monk and Bud Powell.

Here is the place of honour for Trane - A Love Supreme

Cool Jazz now. I love Bill Evans and it Getz better with Chet Baker. (Btw Lester Young also rubbed shoulders with Lady Day). Miles Davis is actually a chapter by himself (1 2) and right now I’ve got in front of me a very cheap boxset.

Art Blakey, Mingus, Sun Ra (what a man!).

Perhaps I’ll edit with some more, Corea, Zappa, Rollins.

*j/k

Download the Gregory And The Hawk I listed. You’d be doing yourself a huge favour.

It’s alright, but her voice is kinda hollow.

You didn’t even listen to her did you? Haines’ voice is barely audible in the song you posted. It’s a whispy, incomprehensible slur from beginning to end and is completely overpowered by the music. Meredith’s vocals are crisp, clear, and powerful, and she does it with no filters, no equipment, and no real backing label. Meredith’s voice is perfect for building music around whereas Haines’ is more of an accessory to the music that’s already there. I recommended GATH to you as a cure for this problem. And you’re calling Meredith’s voice hollow?

I want what you’re on.

It is a sin for me to have left out Django, the Blue Oyster Cult and Cruxshadows.

GAP: The guy from the Butthole Surfers name is, for the record, Gibby Hayes. The more you know flying star
Unless you knew that, but were just saying who he was since most people wouldn’t recognize the name. In which case, fuck you, you know-it-all scum, you devalued my contribution.

Also, the Joy Division live was an amazing experience, if not musically, emotionally. Watching videos of it is even harrowing, I can’t imagine what actually seeing Ian go into calm, icy, semi-Lovecraftian madness on stage right in front of you would’ve been like.

While my other ones have been more or less chronological, I’ll TRY to do that with metal, but I can’t promise anything. I’m going to separate things like death metal and power metal, and so a lot of what happens will be concurrent.

Also, just so everyone knows, I hate almost every song in the emo thing, I just wanted to show Hades the progression of emo, and to argue that it isn’t necessarily wrong to say that emo is the old stuff or the new stuff (although I’d argue for the former).

This is probably going to be my longest entry, simply because metal is insanely complicated.

Also, Gila Monster, you can correct me at any time. This is especially true when distinguishing black and death metal, as it confuses me, still, even though I can pick it out through listening.

Pre-metal and early metal:

“Summertime Blues” - Blue Cheer
This cover is considered by many people to be the “first” metal song. I’m not sure whether I agree or not, but it’s still an awesome song, so I’m listing it.

“Revolution” - The Beatles
Other people, including my former rock history professor, consider this song the pioneer of hard rock and metal. I COMPLETELY disagree with this, but (as with the other one) it’s a fucking awesome song. Wikipedia mentions “Helter Skelter,” which is probably a closer bet.

Led Zeppelin has been mentioned, but not Black fucking Sabbath, which is the other (arguable) pioneer of metal:

“Black Sabbath” - Black Sabbath
This is one of my favorite songs, and it should be one of yours. Why? Because if it isn’t, then… uh… I’ll eat you!

Let’s see… Blue Oyster (too lazy for the umlauts) Cult has been mentioned, and everyone knows Deep Purple enough… here:

“Boogie for George” - UFO
The video is unintentionally hilarious, but check it out for the awesome sound. Eat it! EAT IT!

“Man on the Silver Mountain” - Rainbow
Here’s one you all know, even if you don’t know it. Awesome song. Ronnie James Dio’s first band.

“Rocka Rolla” - Judas Preist
Everyone knows Judas Priest, but not everyone’s heard their early stuff. I really wanted “Never Satisfied,” but it didn’t come up on Youtube. Damn. Rob Halford, the frontman, was one of the first people in heavy metal to come out as gay. The more you know rainbow (yet again, this joke is used in this thread).

NWOBHM (New Wave of British Heavy Metal):

“Am I Evil?” - Diamond Head
This is the definitive NWOBHM song. I know that sounds like it’s nuts, but it’s true. This doesn’t have a video, but it DOES have lyrics, which is awesome. Metallica covered this… horribly. In fact, if you ever see anything from Garage, Inc., run. It’s an abortion. All of their covers are fucking abortions. That’s objective, by the way.

“Bomber” - Motörhead
Delicious, nutritious, Motörhead. I decided on the umlaut this time, because I was feeling less lazy.

“Angel Witch” - Angel Witch
Thank you, Gila Monster. This song is fucking awesome. It blows your mind. You will admit!

“Wrathchild” - Iron Maiden
Iron Maiden, with my favorite of the three vocalists (Di’Anno). Although many people think that Number of the Beast or Powerslave is the best album, I will always love Iron Maiden and Killers more. That being said, I’ll give something off of another album, one you’ll probably be more familiar with (although both songs I’m listing are singles, so if you know metal… you’d better know them :-P).

“The Trooper” - Iron Maiden
One of the definitive Iron Maiden songs. Not THE definitive Iron Maiden song, though. Chances are you’ve heard that one even if you aren’t into metal.

“Black Metal” - Venom
These next guys helped the next three subgenres, so pay attention, kiddies. The song title is a hint to one of the genre names. GUESS THE NAME!?

Thrash Metal (as I’ve said, I’m using Wikipedia so as to organize my thoughts [otherwise this would be a fucking mess], so yeah, it’s in the same order):

“The Four Horsemen” - Metallica
Shamelessly stolen from Mustaine, but still awesomely done. Regardless of the fact I hate Metallica’s business practices, and shitty music as of late, they’re STILL one of the most influential metal bands of all time, and so they must get their due. Metallica is often what people think of when you say “metal,” which is kind of shitty for metal, really.

“Mechanix” - Megadeth
Sound familiar? Only better? Yeah. Mustaine wrote “The Four Horsemen,” and called it “Mechanix.” Then he proceeded to make a much better fucking band. Unfortunately, he also turned out to be a whiny drug addict (and later a whiny born again Christian). That doesn’t mean he still isn’t 10000 times more awesome than anyone in Metallica. Anyway, I’ll get off of my soapbox for a minute. Let’s get back to Metallica.

“Trapped Under Ice” - Metallica
I know that there are a billion “better” songs off of this album, but this is my favorite song off of Ride the Lightning. Sue me.

“Die by the Sword” - Slayer
This if my favorite song off of their all-too-short first album. Legend goes that they were like “uhh… ten songs makes an album, right?” And so they released an album of ten songs just under a half an hour. Not many metal bands do this. It’s one of the best albums I own, IMO.

“Madhouse” - Anthrax
You’re probably only familiar of this song because of Guitar Hero, you fucking twats. Give the real song a listen.

I could add more, but I’m trying to keep these subgenre things relatively brief. Ah, what the Hell… one more Megadeth.

“Peace Sells” - Megadeth
But who’s buying? HUH!? WHO!?

Death Metal:

“Death Metal” - Possessed
I prefer the studio version, or actually SEEING it live, as opposed to hearing a live recording, but this isn’t a terrible version. Find the studio version and give it a chance, seriously. It’s fucking awesome. One can definately argue that they’re the first “death metal” band, although Slayer certainly has some songs that sound death metal-ish.

“Witching Metal” - Sodom
Chunky as it is delicious.

“Morbid Visions” - Sepultura
You have to love Brazil for spawning this band. I can’t say that they’re one of my favorite bands, but they are one of my favorite death metal bands.

“Cenotaph” - Bolt Thrower
I don’t

“Hammer Smashed Face” - Cannibal Corpse

feel I

“Suicide Machine” - Death

need to

“Kill the Christian” - Deicide

comment further. I think you get it.

Black Metal:

“The Return of Darkness and Evil” - Bathory
Ahh, here comes Black Metal. It’s kinda like black metal, only a lot more pretentious. Also, it’s the only metal genre I know of that PEOPLE FUCKING HAVE ACTUALLY KILLED PEOPLE OVER. That’s metal, even if the people involved were fucking nutbags.

“Circle of Tyrants” - Celtic Frost
This band is somewhat cheesy, but I still enjoy them. Essential (well, nearly) for the lover of death, thrash, and black metal.

“Welcome Home” - King Diamond
If you get a chance, see him live. He puts on a fucking awesome show. It’s the best live show I’ve ever seen, in fact.

“Deathcrush” - Mayhem
Suicide, and a murder thanks to Burzum (a racist prick that killed Euronymous; that’s all you really need to know). I don’t listen to Burzum. He makes a bad name for black metal, and a bad name for pagans, and posterchild for Christianity to point the finger at. At least, that’s my opinion. Man, I’m soapboxing again!

“The Dark Castle in the Deep Forest” - Satyricon
I picked this one mainly because of the name, which I think is pretty much the naming conventions of black metal bands.

There are also a few more modern bands that some would consider black metal, but others would consider too “polished” or “mainstream” to be black metal. If I can hear a better argument than that, then I’ll retract my further statements, but I’ll argue that bands such as Cradle of Filth ARE black metal, for purely aesthetic reasons. Anyway, here’s a Cradle of Filth song before I get tired of black metal:

“Born in a Burial Gown” - Cradle of Filth
OH FUCK, PRODUCTION VALUES! RUN!

Power Metal:

This is quite possibly the silliest metal genre. It’s still fun. For example:

“The Gods Made Heavy Metal” - Manowar
This is quite possibly one of the most laughable bands in existence. Unfortunately, they take themselves seriously (or, at least, seem to). It’s also one of my three favorite bands from the Bronx. I’ll list the other one on this metal list, and another one in punk.

“In Harm’s Way” - Metal Church
I really like this song. Another silly band, IMO, but they still have awesome chops.

“Mirror Mirror” - Blind Guardian
Hey, this is where power metal starts getting fucking awesome. THE SILMARILLION TO METAL! \m/

“Somewhere Out in Space” - Gamma Ray
Unlike many power metal bands, which have a fantasy theme, Gamma Ray has a science fiction theme. They’re also pretty damned fun.

“Metropolis” - Dream Theater
Some might consider this prog metal. Of course, I think that prog metal is often close to power, because they’re both HIGHLY influenced by bands such as Rush. Anyway, it’s ten minutes long. Yikes! Sounds like prog to me, now that I think of it (:-P). This isn’t nearly their longest song (by the way, the longest [rock] song that I REALLY, REALLY like is “Dogs” by Pink Floyd).

“Damien” - Iced Earth
This is my favorite metal song. This is probably going to cause many metalheads to faint. Sorry. Iced Earth was an awesome band… until The Glorious Burden. That was about when I decided to vomit.

Hair Metal:

What? You really want hair metal? Uh… here.

“Love Machine” - W.A.S.P.
“We’re Not Gonna Take It” - Twisted Sister
“Round and Round” - Ratt
That’s all you’re getting! You’re inundated with it enough, already, on “classic” rock radio.

Doom/Gothic Metal:

Someone please tell me the difference between these two genres.

“Black No. 1” - Type O Negative
Supposedly “gothic” metal. Now look…

“Bewitched” - Candlemass
Supposedly “doom” metal. Vocals not counting, what is the big difference in the stylistic sludgey feel of these bands? They both seem doomy to me. But perhaps my ear isn’t subtle enough.

New Metal and Nu-“Metal:”

“Walk” - Pantera
You know this song, but just take a look and see how fucking awesome it is. Also check anything from the album Cowboys From Hell (including the song “Cowboys from Hell,” of course).

“Wynona’s Big Brown Beaver” - Primus
Funky, strange, fucked up band. Sexy.

“Sober” - Tool
One of the better modern mainstream metal acts, until recently. Well, okay, their latest album wasn’t an ABORTION, it just wasn’t as good as their previous works. Perhaps I’m just being too critical, as usual.

“Sugar” - System of a Down
Okay, now we’re starting to go down the dark and evil road of nu-metal, the genre that Shouldn’t Be. Of course, this band is quite possibly one of the best of the bunch. Good for them! They’re awesome. The next band is pretty good, too.

“Loco” - Coal Chamber
This is the other good nu-metal band. Okay, maybe I’m exaggerating a BIT how bad nu-metal is. Maybe someone who likes it can give us a better view of it.

Anyway, there’s my utterly incomplete (and yet still too damned long) overview of metal that I enjoy. Punk will come soon.

You didn’t even listen to her did you? Meredith’s voice is overbearing in the songs you posted. It’s a wall of incomprehensible, meaningless lyrics that fall dead flat from beginning to end- maybe some music would actually help her. Haines’ vocals are meaningful, intense, and true- she does what she does with emotions, and without equipment as she is the one playing the piano. Haines’ voice is perfect for the music she herself is playing, drawing you in and enveloping you like a loving mother whereas Meredith’s voice is more of a auctioneer handling his petty wears. I recommend Haines’ and Metric to you as a cure for this problem. And you’re calling Haines’ voice underwhelming?

I want what you’re on.

I envy your patience, GAP. A few suggestions:

Proto-metal:
Iron Butterfly - In a gadda da vida (honey) is also often cited.

Heavy/power metal:
Nevermore - The river dragon are a somewhat essential heavy-power band.
King Diamond - Sleepless Nights falls more under the heavy-power spectrum than black. King’s guitarist, Andy LaRoque was fantastic in the albums Conspiracy/The Eye. And of course there are
Savatage - Edge of Thorns. Not much US power here I’m afraid but not many Youtube videos either.

Atmospheric/Gothic metal:
UK represent. These three bands started it all by mixing doom with death metal a.k.a. doom-death. That answers your question, GAP. For Anathema and Paradise Lost the earlier albums (Serenades, Gothic) show the transition more clearly.
Paradise Lost - EnchantmentMy Dying Bride - The Cry of Mankind
Anathema - Lost Control. Other examples are
Amorphis - Black Winter Day and
Opeth, who consistently compose good music. All these bands, apart from MDB perhaps, later on varied or changed their music style.

Doom Metal:
Black Sabbath - Hand of Doom begot the name, to gether with Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus. Other old timers were
Trouble - PSALM 9 and
Saint Vitus. There are no Pentagram videos online and that’s a shame. Doom in the 90s was mainly
Cathedral and then there was one tendency to heavier sound with Sludge and Drone/Funeral and one back to the roots to heavy/desert/stoner rock a la Kyuss, QOTSA, Monster Magnet. Same influences, other goals. And here are some Melvins, just because.

The most obscure/avant-garde bands don’t have music online

Not always, thoughMr. Bungle
so I can’t do post black and progressive metal would be the same old Fates Warning/Queensryche/Dream Theater. There is some progressive death but eh. Here is some
Pain of Salvation at least.

I think new metal owes its share to
Faith No More and you forgot
Slipknot - Wait and Bleed,
Machine Head - Davidian and the
Sepultura - Roots kickstart. Not really a Korn fan so I can’t comment there. If that was a club
Rammstein - Du Hast would follow. Neue Deutsche Härte, industrial-like, whatever.

I have no idea where to put Devin Townsend

Now someone should do the blues, electronic music genres, hip hop etc.

I’m still listening to the doom and death bands, and I can see a small difference, but I’m not sure that it’s a legitimate enough difference to warrant a different genre. I’m surprised I didn’t put Paradise lost and My Dying Bride, because I really enjoy them.

But that aside, that’s a great idea! We should have people do the types of music that they know. I’d love to see a little tree for rap, R+B, jazz, blues, et cetera. You know… stuff I’m not that acquainted with. Hell, we could have a “general” rock and even a country one. But yeah, if you’re familiar with the roots of your bands and all that, show me!

The main differences between death and doom metal is the speed. Doom metal is designed to be less “brutal” than death metal and more “painful.” The lyrical focusses are different, tool; Doom metal doesn’t focus on the actual death and gore themes Death metal goes for, but the hopelessness tied to those actions. Doom naturally lends itself to Goth Metal, which is separated by slightly different lyrical choices, and melodic, even operatic vocals. If you listen to Cradle of Filth, the female vocals and slow breakdowns are the Goth Metal influence. Eternal Tears of Sorrow shows Goth metal blended with Death Metal. Pure Gothic metal resembles HIM, but with less blues; Entwine, Embraze, Shamrain, and Poisonblack are all good examples. Also, every one of them is Finnish. Oops. Well, whatever. Groovier Death Metal and Harder Doom Metal are very, very close together; in fact, bands often get labeled “Death/Doom” because it’s essentially impossible to tell which is the main influence. However, at their more divergent extremes, they’re very clearly different; compare Demilich to Shape of Despair. Novembers Doom gives an excellent picture of pure, traditional Doom Metal.

I can do a more defined set of roots for Goth Metal, throw in a metal addition for Sludge metal, and another one for Black Metal-derivative Viking Metal.
I can also show a progression of Ska/Rocksteady/Reggae/Dub/Second-Wave/Dancehall/Third-Wave, and give a very general outline of Funk.

Without getting in this voice-strength pissing contest, I’d just like to throw out that the lyrics weren’t meaningless. Even if it wasn’t a theme you cared for, they were hardly nonsense. Nor were they even particularly hard to understand (in terms of the words’ meaning, not catching the actual words spoken); Boats and Birds is one of the better examples of making a very comprehensible extended metaphor (two, actually) that I can think of. “I live to make you shine,” and “I live to set you free,” pretty much explain the meaning of the song’s metaphor very, very clearly, even if you couldn’t catch it earlier.
I mean, I think you’re just paraphrasing Hades’ argument to kind of make a mockery of it, but I’m just pointing out the meaningless comment is pretty invalid.

That’d mostly be because his comment was pretty invalid to begin with ;), but thanks for noticing my internet sarcasm! And it isn’t so much that I don’t see the ‘meaning’ in her lyrics, I just find that her voice is like vanilla icecream. Good, but bland. And Emily’s voice is like a delicious parfait; where when I finish one layer I am confronted with an equally delicious layer that is somehow different and new which drives me deeper into the many layers of her voice. That’s all really, I am not saying I didn’t enjoy GATH songs, just that comparatively I felt her voice/emotion/whateveritisthatmakesasonggood was lacking. But see now that you’ve actually gotten a real response out of me, hades can return with his meaningless arguments and thinly veiled insults in an attempt to belittle me and boost himself. D:

Punk’s Prehistory:

“You Really Got Me” - The Kinks
A lot of people say that the Kink’s three chord structure paved the road for punk. This is the view of my music history teacher, and wikipedia. I’m not sure I agree, but I’ll put it here because if you don’t like this song, you kick puppies.

“My Generation” - The Who
I think this would be a lot closer because, thematically, it works. It still has the quick pace and the three chord structure. Of course, none of those are hard and fast rules, but yeah.

“Kick Out the Jams” - MC5 (with “motherfucker” thanks to Rigamarole)
This is the first one I can really argue as close to what punk rock is before punk rock. Also a great song.

“1969,” “Now I Wanna Be Your Dog” - Iggy Pop and the Stooges
I wish I could find an older version, but this will do. Check out the studio versions, as they’re superior (IMO). That being said, Iggy Pop and the Stooges are a fucking awesome band, and if they had been around ten years later, they’d be considered a punk band. Truly way before their time.

“Personality Crisis” - The New York Dolls
Dressed in drag and on drugs, they could have been any other glam rock band. Instead, they were quite aggressive, and rough. Listen to them, and then listen to the Sex Pistols (almost completely stolen [which, I guess, is some of my beef with the Sex Pistols]).

“Letsgetabitrockin” - The 101ers
Sound familiar? Here comes Joe Strummer. Pub rock is awesome, isn’t it?

Early Punk:

“Foxhole” - Television
I’m including them here because everyone does, but I’m not as convinced as many are that these guys influenced punk music. Yeah, they were in the CBGB, but punk bands don’t generally write as… well… LONG songs as they did. Or complex.
Maybe artpunk, a bit. Speaking of artpunk, look up Pere Ubu, as they’re a good predecessor for artpunk (I’m not going to dive deep into subgenres, here).

“Horses” - Patti Smith
Here we go! This is punk. Also check out how stoned she is giving a mini-talk in the beginning.

“Blitzkrieg Bop” - The Ramones
The fucking Ramones. Just listen. You’ll get the point. In case you don’t get it, here’s another one:

“Beat on the Brat” - “The KKK Took My Baby Away” - The Ramones
Just listen. I know this is more modern, but it still has Joey, and it still sounds awesome. Oh oh oh ohhh ohhh! Also: check out their videos. They’re awesome. This was an imperative written by my roommate, so check them out! “I Wanna Be Sedated” is quite possibly my favorite one.

“Blank Generation” - Richard Hell and the Voivods
I belong to the blank generation, and I can take or leave it anytime.

“Pretty Vacant” - Sex Pistols
This is one of the first boy bands. Of course, they still sounded good, but they were still manufactured. Anyway, I love Johnny Rotten. That’s about all I have to say.

“Neat, Neat, Neat” - The Damned
NEAT, NEAT, NEAT!

Okay, okay, I know you were all waiting for this band, so I’ll just go ahead and do it:

“White Riot” - The Clash
I strongly prefer their first album, but London Calling is also a very strong album, that just about anyone should own for ANY reason. If Arac wants, he can talk a little more about them. I’d be doing a disservice to them otherwise.

Not quite as early punk:

“No God” - The Germs
Delicious, and nutritious! Full of vitamins and minerals.

“Some Kinda Fun” - Teenage Head
As is said in this video, they were sometimes called the “Canadian Ramones.” Yeah. Pretty much. They’re good, though.

“Pay to Cum” - Bad Brains
Check this video out. They’re fucking awesome live, which isn’t something I often say of punk (no offense to it). I only wish I could have seen that. Christ!

The Misfits go somewhere around here, too, but I’ve already linked to plenty of their music. … … Ah, okay.

“Astro Zombies” - The Misfits
With just a touch of my burning hand, my astro zombies come to rape this land! \m/ Uh… anyway.

“Way of the World” - Flipper
Here’s another one for good measure! Pie.

QUICK LIKE A BUNNY: SEVERAL SUBGENRES-

Here’s some new wave:

“Once in a Lifetime” - The Talking Heads
Everybody loves them, or else. Why not?

“Alison” - Elvis Costello
The key to New Wave is more in the lyrics than in the sound. Listen closely. This song is pretty fucked up.

“Are Friends Electric?” - Gary Numan
Okay, that’s all I’m showing you. The Police are above, somewhere.

Oh, okay. One more.

“Jocko Homo” - Devo

Hardcore Punk:

“TV Party” - Black Flag
IT’S BROKEN!

Let’s see… I’ve already shown Minor Threat and Dead Kennedys earlier… hmm… ah!

“Backed Up Against the Wall” - Circle Jerks
Delicious!

Pop punk (this one will be a little longer, thanks to Devo-lution of the genre):

"Ever Fallen In Love (With Someone You Shouldn’t) - The Buzzcocks
The first real pop punk band. One of the best, too.

“I Don’t Want to Grow Up” - The Descendents
This is my favorite pop punk band. They’re awesome!

“Basket Case” - Green Day
I must say, I don’t like them, but they’re one of the most recognizable pop punk bands. I’ll also say it’s almost impossible to dislike this song, even if you HATE Green Day. You’ll sing it in the car, without realizing it. It’s viral.

“Mach 5” - The Presidents of the United States of America
Awesome band!

“Bad Habit” - The Offspring
This is the last good pop punk band. After that, you’re on your own.

Other miscellaneous punk:

Okay, I’ve been called in to my second job, so I’m going to hurry up and give it to you.

“Lake of Fire” - Meat Puppets

“Barroom Hero” - Dropkick Murphys

“Sell Out” - Reel Big Fish

“Cybergod” - Nausea

If anybody else wants to take this up (hint, hint: Arac) then please do so. I’m going to be doing lots of stuff tonight, in France and stuff. Not really. I’m just working my non-9-5 job. I might do stuff like Oi tonight, but I doubt it, and so you just go ahead for me.

In response to GAP’s metal post:

-Sodom is traditionally qualified as thrash metal
-As Rigmarole stated, King Diamond would be qualified as heavy metal. Same with Mercyful Fate. MF and KD influenced black metal bands but they sound like a heavy/speed metal band.

-Doom and goth are quite different: doom tends to be more traditional, like Black Sabbath and Witchfynder General (NWOBHM band). As stated before, doom is more traditional, and can be slow and crushing or can be moderate tempo. I don’t listen to this genre much but Solstice is a good contemporary band to check out.
as for Goth, that would be bands like My Dying Bride, Type O Negative, Tristiana… it also tends to be slow, but has a more operatic feel, or a very mournful/sorrowful atmosphere.
Rigmarole and Arac posted some good explanations, I figured I would just put in my perspective as well.

as for death and black… those are so subtle that unless you listen to metal fairly often you’d understandable have a hard time distinguishing them. Death metal tends to be more technical and brutal, with really slamming riffs that vibrate your gut. The vocals also tend to be gutteral and almost incomprehensible for the most part.
Black metal tends to be a bit more eloqeunt, if you can get that from extreme metal atleast. The riffs seem sharp and are high on the treble side. Black metal has balls but instead of them being made out of space titanium like death metal, they’re freezing cold and are full of sharp objects.
the vocals tend to be more on the higher shriekier side, but can also be raspy.

both styles utilise blast beats often, although they both can be distinguishable at times: death metal ones more grooving and heavy hitting, where as black metal is all about the speed.
Both styles borrow from thrash… death metal with the slamming grooves, and black metal with the vicious intensity of the speed and sharpness of the riffs.

Damn, I sure went on for a while. You seem to be on the ball anyways, I just felt like typing this up. Also I wouldn’t call Primus nu-metal… they’re primus… that’s it!! haha

Seriously, they have a lot of talent, but sound so unique:
Primus - “Tommy The Cat”

There’s a lot of great music posted in this thread. Looks like this thread will keep me busy!

I’d consider them “new metal,” (not a genre, just… new) not “nu metal.” That’s why the title is “New metal and nu ‘metal.’” You wouldn’t consider them metal at all? I’d say they are, but a very unique brand of metal that only contains Primus.

Dude, you can’t dance to any of the music you guys listen to. The only thing that music’s good for is giving yourself a headache. :stuck_out_tongue:

First of all, you can dance to all of the music posted in these threads (excepting Throbbing Gristle). Second of all, you cannot possibly hate every single song in this thread. It’s too diverse. I also find it hard to believe that you clicked on every single link in this thread and hated every single song. I call bullshit.