Pope Updates

The new Pope is cansidred to be the next in the spiritual lineage of the first Pope, Peter. Little known fact: The Pope is also the Bishop of Rome.

The Church doen’t believe in Reincarnation.
I already posted a link earlier in the thread on how a new pope is chosem, stop being ignorant.

They’re not being ignorant. They’re making jokes. Yeesh.

Also, there have been sons of Popes that have later become Popes themselves. There was some guy who was married and had kids before he joined the priesthood. He later became Pope, and his son later became Pope too.

They know that, Trkjac. We just have this new thing called “joke” here. They are not good jokes, I’ll give you that, but they still are what they are.

For Christ sakes, someone has a persecution complex don’t they? Look you want to talk about religion, or lets break it down to brass tacks, a political figure, you’re going to have to expect dissent. deal with it.

Last I saw, people can have a different opinion. Just cause someone dies, doesn’t make them great. You put out a opinion, expect a counter, thats how message boards work. If we all agreed, how boring would that be?

Nowhere did I state I was better, its you who took it that way. Some people like Bush, some people don’t. Some people like the Pope, some people don’t.

Look deeper into things, educate yourself, then publish a comeback. After all, thats what message boards are about. Why not list the good things he did, instead of insulting me in a bass ackwards way.

I’m not here to sling insults when I disagree with someone, which is all I’ve gotten in return when I come out on the other side of a discussion.

You are sorely mistaken if you think you can preach about something, and not expect a retort. You want to hold a back and forth conversation on the good and the bad of the pope, I’m all for it. You want to be a baby and whine, well the door is this way---->

Don’t let it hit you on the way out.

As far as Popes go, JP II was one of the most active and hard-working ones in history, you may not like all the stuff he did but that doesn’t take from the fact: He just died and I think it would be appropriate to hold the desecration until at least tomorrow.

You may not give a rat’s arse, I myself don’t care much beyond the fact that a man is dead, but an entire religion just lost his most respected member, have a little consideration.

Evilpoptart, it’s probably not the fact that you just said you disagreed with some of the stuff the Pope has done. It’s probably the fact that you took delight in his death (and I really can’t think of any other big world players dying between Reagan and JPII). Whatever he did, I doubt he did it with malicious intent, nor was he some inhumane monster. To take delight in his death is just… wrong. I can understand feeling hope for a more liberal Pope or something of that nature; however, taking delight just makes it sound like you’re leaning back in your chair and cackling at the news of his death.

I dunno. I mean, I guess it sucks the Pope died. I mean, he was da freeeakin pope!

If you want to be uncouth, inconsiderate, douchbag, well the X is at the top left of your screen. No one wants to hear brilliant analysis on how much religion and its leaders suck, according to Mr Evil Pop Tart (too many spaces?) who is way too eager to show us the light. This thread was a deathwatch for Pope John Paul the Second, not how much of a hypocrite he was, or what things he DIDN’T do to help people. Go volunteer at a soup kitchen, or find a cure for cancer instead of accusing someone else of ignoring poor parts of the world and making people suffer. I’m sure some people are in need of YOUR help while you come in here and bitch about the Pope not doing any good for humanity. Now that’s hypocrisy. Get up off your ass and show me some productivity, THEN we can talk.

You know what, EPT you’re asshole, we’re remembering a man who just died. You just want attention, you want to shock people. LAY OFF! The man just died, I don’t care how much you hated him, LAY OFF for a day, then make your own thread instead of highjacking this one to piss people off.

I’m saddened that John Paul II had died, but in a way I’m interested to see what the next Pope will do to change/reform Catholosism

On that lighter note. An interviewed Cardinal said that the next Pope has a high chance of being South American, even African.

Yeah, he’s from Nigeria.

They are saying that it’s likely to be a South American one because almost the whole continent is Catholic and we haven’t had a pope from here yet. The only strong SA candidate I know is Brazilian (Ren, no offense, but FUCK NO!).

And in response to 984’s question that I missed before: Kinda. Legally we are Catholic but to be honest, the church has zero influence in everything. It’s just a formality.

I just hope it’s not a European. There have been WAY too many. In fact, all of them have been. Correct me if I’m wrong, though.

Heh

I have worked soup kitchens, food drives, volunteered for John Kerry, voted, etc.

While I will give concessions that I could have picked a better time or place, I think its only fair that the otherside gets to express an opinion.

No I am not sitting back and laughing. If anything, I am laughing at the lack of understanding, and at the lack of free speech.

Its not “fair” to have everything so one sided, but again, I restate the fact, I picked the wrong time. However, leaders shouldn’t be without criticism. Don’t believe me? Ask one of our greatest presidents, Teddy Roosevelt:

“The President is merely the most important among a large number of public servants. He should be supported or opposed exactly to the degree which is warranted by his good conduct or bad conduct, his efficiency or inefficiency in rendering loyal, able, and disinterested service to the nation as a whole. Therefore it is absolutely necessary that there should be full liberty to tell the truth about his acts, and this means that it is exactly as necessary to blame him when he does wrong as to praise him when he does right. Any other attitude in an American citizen is both base and servile. To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. Nothing but the truth should be spoken about him or any one else. But it is even more important to tell the truth, pleasant or unpleasant, about him than about any one else.”
- President Theodore Roosevelt, 1912

More Goodies:

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”
- Dr. Martin Luther King

“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.”
- Reverend Martin Luther King Jr.

I love politics, and I love political discourse even more. If I am alone in this, I am sorry. I’ve kept a civil tone this entire time, not swearing once, so Trkjak wont try to get me banned :stuck_out_tongue: Seriously though, your reactions, to a simple dissenting opinion, show alot. Its obvious to be me now of the age difference. I’m not, nor will I, get up in arms. I will just defend what I believe, and not make it personal. As should you.

I digress though. My condolences for those who liked the Pope.

Addendum: Someone is NOT an asshole just because they disagree, so lets keep it clean shall we? I haven’t insulted or name called, so don’t do it to me. Those in glass houses, shouldn’t throw stones.

They shouldn’t dance naked either, but who’s really to judge what someone wants to do in their own home. That said, this isn’t anyone’s private home.

No I am not sitting back and laughing. If anything, I am laughing at the lack of understanding, and at the lack of free speech.

I digress though. My condolences for those who liked the Pope. I for one did not, but we all know that now don’t we?

Someone is NOT an asshole just because they disagree, so lets keep it clean shall we? I haven’t insulted or name called, so don’t do it to me. Those in glass houses, shouldn’t throw stones

Oh please, drop the victimized act! If you’ve read anything that your adversaries have written, you’ll see that none of us, namely myself, have told you to stfu or stop throwing around your hurtful, cutting comments, but instead, have bitched at you for interrupting a thread with your tactless, inconsiderate comments, when it wasn’t really necessary. Where did you see an invitation to give us the low down on JP’s shady life, as if we really needed to know? So stop with the give me free speech! bs, because that isn’t the issue. The issue is, you came into a thread, spewed some statements that were totally inappropriate and not relavent to the topic whatsoever, and due to the nature and time of said thread, your comments were not needed, and a tad on the distasteful side. Have some respect. I apologize for stomping all over your civil and individual rights, but please build a bridge and get over it. Go get your cellphone and call someone who cares.

Every single Pope thread I’ve read today in other forums, there’s always SOMEONE who takes it upon themselves to display their superiority complex and demonstrate how much of a badass they are, and disrespect a frail, kindly man, who has just passed away.

Just drop it, we all know where this is headed.

Le sigh. Yes sir.

It’s not about the fact that you disagree with the late Pope, it’s about the fact that you are taking a swing at him while his corpse is still warm (I shouldn’t have to said this but since I have met enough dumb people lately: IT’S AN EXPRESSION). He’s not Hitler for Christ’s sake, hold off a little just out of respect for a fellow human being.

EDIT: Sorry, I was writing while Epic posted. I’m off too.

RIP Pope John Paul II. May your memory last forever.